PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't save profile / progress

JBaye
23-09-2017, 08:16
Hi,

I'm experiencing issue while the game try to save. Se attached.
I have seen similar post to mine but all related to Antivirus issue (like BitDefender). I don't have any on this computer.
Disk were already verifier with CHKDSK & SFC

System : Windows 10 Pro
Softwares Running : Steam + PCARS2. No AV, Windows Defender disabled in windows features.
Issue reproduced at every game launch when trying to save something (ie player profile). Tried as Administrator and without UAC with no luck

I have read that PCARS2 saves profiles into "Documents/PCARS2" folder, I can see this folder created and some files too.
If I delete this folder it will be created back at next game launch.

Only "tricky" thing is that my "Documents" folder is redirected to a network location. But is should be fully transparent for applications (no issue with other programs/games since years with this configuration, even with PCARS1).
May be it's the root case as when I move the game from a drive to another a can see at drive root folder like "C:\<myfileservername>\userfolders\<myname>\documents\project cars 2\savegame\<steamed>\project cars 2\profiles" but I can't change this.

Dragnet
23-09-2017, 19:28
I can't save any settings, not even turn of the menu music.

The game creates the "Project CARS 2" folder in Documents which contains:
ugc
ffb_custom_settings
graphicsconfigdx11
triplescreensettings

But that's it.

Any ideas?

My Documents are on a network share but this has worked fine in the past (including with Project CARS 1.

Sankyo
23-09-2017, 19:31
Your anti-virus program is preventing the game from writing anything to disk. Either disable it when running pC2, create an exception for pC2, or switch to another AV program :)

Dragnet
23-09-2017, 19:34
Your anti-virus program is preventing the game from writing anything to disk. Either disable it when running pC2, create an exception for pC2, or switch to another AV program :)

I had Malwarebytes running but I have stopped it, same problem..

Dragnet
24-09-2017, 09:27
I have not uninstalled Malwarebytes, rebooted, uninstalled P2 and reinstalled P2 (complete with a download lasting all night)....

Still no luck, can't save any settings.

As said before, Documents reside on a network server. I would be happy to place my game files locally but I will need the startup options for that.

Dragnet
24-09-2017, 20:10
As I suspected, P2 can't handle Documents folder on a network server. All my other games including P1 does not have a problem.

Now, I could either setup a clumsy workaround or wait for a patch.

(Come on developers, it's 2017, networked computers are not that uncommon. You do have domains at work, yes? :cool: ;) )

JBaye
25-09-2017, 06:04
Done some tests, it appears that when "My Documents" folder is redirected to a network location, the game is not able to find the real save location, even with hard link.
So PCARS2 is not able to work with network and hard link path when PCARS1 was.

JBaye
25-09-2017, 07:59
Hello,

Exactly same issue, game is not able to save when using a network location for "My Documents" folder.
No issue too with PCARS1.

Desktop : Windows 10 Pro / Server : Windows Server 2016
No AV on Desktop.

JBaye
25-09-2017, 08:01
Same issue than http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52064-Can-t-save-settings&p=1363978&viewfull=1#post1363978

Siberian Tiger
25-09-2017, 08:05
My Documents on a Network Location? Do other Games recognize it? Never heard that is possible...
Just beeing curious: What's the benefit of this?

JBaye
25-09-2017, 08:14
Yes, it's a common windows option. No issue with any other applications (like PCARS1).
The main advantage is to have all your data saved to one single secured place (on a server) and acessible by any computers on the network (I have 2 different Gaming PC).
Doing this, you keep your saves and prferences across all the computers you use.

You can change this setting in the MyDocuments folder options :

Siberian Tiger
25-09-2017, 08:17
Ok, will forward it to the Devs...

Bealdor
25-09-2017, 08:50
Threads merged.

Dragnet
25-09-2017, 09:33
My Documents on a Network Location? Do other Games recognize it? Never heard that is possible...
Just beeing curious: What's the benefit of this?

All my other games support it (or they store files locally on C: in the Users folder).

The benefit is primarily to be able my documents seamlessly from any of my PC:s (I do have several :cool: )

JBaye
25-09-2017, 10:59
Ok, will forward it to the Devs...

Thanks. Let me know if you need more details on this.

Mad Al
25-09-2017, 11:07
Just a thought, are you pointing at the location as a UNC and have you tried it as a mapped drive letter and then set the Docs to be on the drive letter rather than the UNC path?

JBaye
25-09-2017, 11:15
Currently it's set as an UNC in the folder settings and I also have a hard link (kind of alias) to have a full path like C:\Users\<username>\MyDocuments acessible and so fully transparent for any applications.
I didn't performed the test with the network drive mapped, I guess it will work, I will make a try when I will be back to home.

Dragnet
25-09-2017, 13:10
I have it as an UNC also. I won't be able to test anymore until Friday though.

JBaye
28-09-2017, 09:22
Just a thought, are you pointing at the location as a UNC and have you tried it as a mapped drive letter and then set the Docs to be on the drive letter rather than the UNC path?

Test done yesterday, "My Documents" network folder mapped as a network drive ( X: ), "My Documents" settings configured to point the the network letter X: and PCARS2 is able to save the settings/profile.
So it seems PCARS2 rely on a different method than PCARS1 (Or other applications) to locate the saves location.

Dragnet
28-09-2017, 20:48
Test done yesterday, "My Documents" network folder mapped as a network drive ( X: ), "My Documents" settings configured to point the the network letter X: and PCARS2 is able to save the settings/profile.
So it seems PCARS2 rely on a different method than PCARS1 (Or other applications) to locate the saves location.

Same here, mapped "Documents" on the network to Z: and now it works!

JBaye
16-11-2017, 17:55
Hello,

Sorry to bring this topic back, but no evolution on this issue ?
Still same problem even with 1.2.0 :( So unable to play since the day one

Edit : Same with 1.3.0, I finally removed PCARS2 and will stick to PCARS1

Tom Curtis
16-01-2018, 12:33
Hello,

Sorry to bring this topic back, but no evolution on this issue ?
Still same problem even with 1.2.0 :( So unable to play since the day one

Edit : Same with 1.3.0, I finally removed PCARS2 and will stick to PCARS1
We have fixed this for patch 4 (due soonish). Just tested here and I can save to a networked PC just fine now. Would make my day if you would come back to PC2 and help us confirm this fixed? :)

JBaye
16-01-2018, 12:57
Hello,

Thank you for the update on this topic. :)
I will reinstall PC2 to test this and let you know once tested.

Edit : Installed, waiting for patch :p

Brainbug
16-01-2018, 18:13
Nice to see you back, JBaye.

Let the dev crew do the work and be patient is the way to go.
I do not understand folks loosing nerves and acting harshly by saying byebye.
I can imagine that SMS for themselfs want to have all bugs fixed, but I guesss work takes time. So I am very happy they listen and deliver when work is done.

JBaye
16-01-2018, 18:35
I was not so far, still on PC1 (and some other games), I removed PC2 to earn some disk space and hopping for a future fix, not because game was not working as expected for ME. :)

I will wait for the patch of course, but quiet nervous to test it ;)
As I'm working frequently with developers teams I can understand it's not easy to fix all issues from day one in a single batch and more especially when a 'bug' is triggered only in specific use cases like mine.

JBaye
11-02-2018, 07:29
Hi,

Just tested with update 4, and ... it's working.
Everything seems to be saved perfectly (for what I have seen until now).

Thank to the developer for fixing it ! :)

BTW : Impressive patch note ! :congratulatory: