PDA

View Full Version : Ian Bell - statement re. G920 FFB issue

MXR SMILER
24-09-2017, 05:22
"Multiple threads on this guys but we've already improved things internally and it's coming to you in a patch soon."

Also found another similar statement in which Mr Bell says he is " almost sure" a patch is on the way... but this was one hour earlier. Obviously work is ongoing and progress being made.

Thanks for letting us know what's going on Mr Bell.

grrrillapmp
24-09-2017, 12:47
Willing to bet money his definition and your definition of soon are vastly different. If PC1 is an indication it'll take months before the game meets our expectation.

Mikke
24-09-2017, 13:28
Fingers crossed a patch comes quickly to fix the issue!

Trippul G
24-09-2017, 14:24
Willing to bet money his definition and your definition of soon are vastly different. If PC1 is an indication it'll take months before the game meets our expectation.

You have to remember that a large part of what delays those updates is the Microsoft validation and certification process. We have to wait for their stamp of approval, whereas if they only had to worry about Steam, SMS could theoretically put out a new patch to us every day, if they wanted to.

Gysepy
24-09-2017, 15:13
"Multiple threads on this guys but we've already improved things internally and it's coming to you in a patch soon."

Also found another similar statement in which Mr Bell says he is " almost sure" a patch is on the way... but this was one hour earlier. Obviously work is ongoing and progress being made.

Thanks for letting us know what's going on Mr Bell.

I would hope so, just got off a few multiplayer sessions and with the G920 it is truly woeful.... The wheel is randomly chopping left to right, massive let down on the testing front...

Roger Prynne
24-09-2017, 15:31
You have to remember that a large part of what delays those updates is the Microsoft validation and certification process. We have to wait for their stamp of approval, whereas if they only had to worry about Steam, SMS could theoretically put out a new patch to us every day, if they wanted to.

This is the problem and is out of SMS's hands.

Andrew Weber
24-09-2017, 16:23
In the immediate short term, switch to Informative (away from Immersive) for G920 on XB1. This mitigates the issue, but does not totally solve it. edit: and reduce volume as much as you can live with...just for now. (reducing volume on Immersive doesn't really help. You need to be on Informative or Raw for volume to mitigate the issue at all).

The rest of the issue is indeed found and fixed in code now, and will make it into a patch.

Mowzer
24-09-2017, 17:36
To be honest it's an issue i can live with for now its not really spoiling my enjoyment of the game that much :p.

Psychomatrix
24-09-2017, 21:42
It's really nice that you guys answer very fast �� but in hell I can't understand why you always have that problems after 2,5 years development. A lot of the issues where in pc1 and repeat now in PC2��

grrrillapmp
24-09-2017, 23:18

So it's Microsoft's fault that sms is charging people to be beta testers....again?

You'd think knowing how long Microsoft's patch process is sms would make sure they released a finished product. Or at the very least not further mislead people by using words like "soon"...

No, I don't blame Microsoft one bit in this.

Ian Bell
24-09-2017, 23:28
It's really nice that you guys answer very fast �� but in hell I can't understand why you always have that problems after 2,5 years development. A lot of the issues where in pc1 and repeat now in PC2��

PC2 is massively more stable and bug free than PC1. It's also massively more complex. There will always be issues with insane complexity and the best a good company can do is acknowledge and fix them quickly. That's what we're doing.

Ian Bell
24-09-2017, 23:30
So it's Microsoft's fault that sms is charging people to be beta testers....again?

You'd think knowing how long Microsoft's patch process is sms would make sure they released a finished product. Or at the very least not further mislead people by using words like "soon"...

No, I don't blame Microsoft one bit in this.

The game isn't beta. Stop propagating that silliness. It has less bugs than any game we've ever shipped - zero game breaking bugs and a small list of issues we're already fixing or have fixed.

snipeme77
24-09-2017, 23:49
What about controller weaving and TX series wheel problems

z3r0cool77
25-09-2017, 00:01
Best fix,
Flavor Informative
Gain 100
Volume 50 (whatever is to your liking for wheel weight)
Tone 95-100
Fx 0-10

Rumble from curbs is also mostly gone but it almost completely smooths out the jerking on straights which seems to be surface fx's that are being sent way too strongly and abruptly.

Psychomatrix
25-09-2017, 00:34
PC2 is massively more stable and bug free than PC1. It's also massively more complex. There will always be issues with insane complexity and the best a good company can do is acknowledge and fix them quickly. That's what we're doing.
Yes but with that FFB bug you destroy it by yourself. To comparison to pc1 I can't say anything after 2 days.

But bugs from pc1 are repeating like the invisible wheels after crash and pitstop. That are sort of bugs where people ask why there coming back.

None of us is a coder and that's why whe think such sort of bugs should have been fixed.

Maybe such complex games need a open beta?

At the end it a losing game for both side. People didn't see all the passion that's in project cars when they can't play it, because they fearing that their wheel gone broken.

That are issues that overshade everything.

To say this here too. The game have the best selection of racecars and tracks in universe. And it's a real fair deal on content. You have put nearly every GT3 and GTE Car in the game where much bigger studios sell them as dlc.

It's clear that some cars missing but that's OK if I buy some porsche as dlc.

And tracks are the best ever. It's the perfect selection and great that GT1 Cars from 90 in the game. Sadly not the 993 GT1 from Porsche because that was the GT1 car that have a great customer support not like the prototype GT1 from 97 on.

What I really miss is more information about the history of the cars in showroom. Because every of that cars has it's own story.
What I want say is that the game have great potential and it's a journey through the last 55 years. So on the prasentation side there is room for improvements.
So I think the game deserve a chance even if I not happy with all.

grrrillapmp
25-09-2017, 01:05
The game isn't beta. Stop propagating that silliness. It has less bugs than any game we've ever shipped - zero game breaking bugs and a small list of issues we're already fixing of or have fixed.

Yeah, on pc maybe.

Look, I get it. It's your product so your not going to admit to anything that may negatively affect your bottom line. But look in any Xbox thread, look at all the people that have paid money for the game that are forced to spend time doing any manner of testing and reporting for sms if they want to enjoy the game. Are there not people on the payroll at sms to do this? Does that not sound like beta testing? So yeah, it's not technically a beta simply off the strength that it's been released.

And it may very well be the least buggy game you've released (can't believe that's even a point to hang a hat on nowadays) given the sheer number of bugs in project cars 1 at release, it's debatable if that can even be considered note worthy.

I have all the faith in the world you guys will get it fixed because I never got rid of pc1 (kinda by default tho because it was a digital download) and I know how well it turned out in the end. But let's not pretend that that overall improvement came in an amount of time that can be labeled "soon".

We got the exact same excuses last time. Outsourced testing, seriously? You guys seriously didn't learn from the controller fiasco that was project cars one, a fiasco that was attributed to outsourced testing. We're seriously expected to believe that?

But having the exact same type of issues (severe issues with main input sources) as pc1 and finding out the same type of excuses...are people not expected to be frustrated. Especially when the reasons seem to belittle the intelligence of those inquiring?

Ian Bell
25-09-2017, 01:09
Yeah, on pc maybe.

Look, I get it. It's your product so your not going to admit to anything that may negatively affect your bottom line. But look in any Xbox thread, look at all the people that have paid money for the game that are forced to spend time doing any manner of testing and reporting for sms if they want to enjoy the game. Are there not people on the payroll at sms to do this? Does that not sound like beta testing? So yeah, it's not technically a beta simply off the strength that it's been released.

And it may very well be the least buggy game you've released (can't believe that's even a point to hang a hat on nowadays) given the sheer number of bugs in project cars 1 at release, it's debatable if that can even be considered note worthy.

I have all the faith in the world you guys will get it fixed because I never got rid of pc1 (kinda by default tho because it was a digital download) and I know how well it turned out in the end. But let's not pretend that that overall improvement came in an amount of time that can be labeled "soon".

We got the exact same excuses last time. Outsourced testing, seriously? You guys seriously didn't learn from the controller fiasco that was project cars one, a fiasco that was attributed to outsourced testing. We're seriously expected to believe that?

But having the exact same type of issues (severe issues with main input sources) as pc1 and finding out the same type of excuses...are people not expected to be frustrated. Especially when the reasons seem to belittle the intelligence of those inquiring?

We've admitted to multiple issues all over this forum, and others. And stated the progress on improvement. Really :)

Andrew Weber
25-09-2017, 05:18
What about controller weaving and TX series wheel problems

TX/Italia TM just got an adjustment too. Code just went in, and it'll be in same patch as G920 adjustment.

BobTheDog
25-09-2017, 06:01
Thanks for the updates guys, looking forward to the FFB patch here.

Bluebird76
25-09-2017, 09:05
The game isn't beta. Stop propagating that silliness. It has less bugs than any game we've ever shipped - zero game breaking bugs and a small list of issues we're already fixing or have fixed.

Sry, cant drive straight is kind of GameBreaking for me.

Some Statements give me the idea you never ever played a X1 Version, otherwise I have no Idea how you released that Version, or anyone else in SMS. After 1min in my Car a reconized the Logitech issue...

Played yesterday 3hours PC1 on NürburgRng GP Track, after that i switched to PC2 and thought i played a early 360 Version of a Racing Game. Graphics a flickering like hell, Cars switch from Highresolution to Low Resolution after view Meters ahead of my Field of View, right next to me its pretty nice.
Easy to see for everyone

Hope you fix all the stuff with the X-Version.

My Workarround was to deinstall the Game and will reinstall it 7th November.

Psychomatrix
25-09-2017, 09:25
There is my workaround for the G920
Informative
Amplitude 70
Intensity 25
Tone 30
FX 0
FX let shake the wheel to much. So it's a workaround nothing more and nothing less
I really wish the issue with curbs been fixed as well. On some tracks you have there FFB on other none. On some it was from corner to corner different.
The default settings are unplayable. But the game overall isn't unplayable.

justonce68
25-09-2017, 10:15
Thanks for the update on patch.

BobTheDog
25-09-2017, 20:01
There is my workaround for the G920
Informative
Amplitude 70
Intensity 25
Tone 30
FX 0
FX let shake the wheel to much. So it's a workaround nothing more and nothing less
I really wish the issue with curbs been fixed as well. On some tracks you have there FFB on other none. On some it was from corner to corner different.
The default settings are unplayable. But the game overall isn't unplayable.

These settings work pretty well, thanks.

Itsdoomsday48
25-09-2017, 20:17

Not to sound like a snob but PC1 works better out of the box with no adjustments than PC2 has with adjustments on my wheel. The jerking and wobbling I experience down straightaways on PC2 is alone game breaking not to mention the fact the suggested racing line you provided with the game does not function at all 75% of the time, I would consider both of these game breaking.

Ian Bell
26-09-2017, 01:30
Sry, cant drive straight is kind of GameBreaking for me.

Some Statements give me the idea you never ever played a X1 Version, otherwise I have no Idea how you released that Version, or anyone else in SMS. After 1min in my Car a reconized the Logitech issue...

Played yesterday 3hours PC1 on NürburgRng GP Track, after that i switched to PC2 and thought i played a early 360 Version of a Racing Game. Graphics a flickering like hell, Cars switch from Highresolution to Low Resolution after view Meters ahead of my Field of View, right next to me its pretty nice.
Easy to see for everyone

Hope you fix all the stuff with the X-Version.

My Workarround was to deinstall the Game and will reinstall it 7th November.

Again, stop with the 'no testing' talk. Reports are coming in that some are finding the 920 FFB excellent. EXAMPLE HERE (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52752-Any-news-on-a-G920-patch&p=1367138&viewfull=1#post1367138) which was how it was for us in testing. We have though found edge issues that could affect some wheels and have fixed it.

Psychomatrix
26-09-2017, 03:33
Please don't quote people who talking about excellent FFB. Excellent means perfect to me.

And beside the G920 issues are some FFB missing on some tracks. On Nürburgring GP you have no curb FFB at the complete track. On others it's OK and on some it's different from curb to curb. People who say it's excellent are not honest or even think curb FFB should be not in the game. Or maybe they think that shaking on straights it's realistic, what it isn't.

Even with set FX to 0.
I can quote here people who say complete opposite. And the default setup is undrivable I know 5 people in my community and there all the same opinion.

FFB is a big question of taste. But missing effects and shaking on the straight is a issue.

I really hope that the missing curbs FX been fixed as well. With the right settings you can reduce the shaking very well.

And beside the issues I think the FFB is better than in PC1.

Lewy
26-09-2017, 07:59
I find it really weird reading about the G920 problems. I’ve not had a single problem, after 20 mins or so messing with the settings when I got the game, it’s feels amazing.
I’ve not had to touch a single setting.
I get a weird flash/glitch on the screen in helmet cam as I change gear but im sure that’s a bug and not the G920.

Bluebird76
26-09-2017, 08:50
Again, stop with the 'no testing' talk. Reports are coming in that some are finding the 920 FFB excellent. which was how it was for us in testing. We have though found edge issues that could affect some wheels and have fixed it.

Hello Ian,
thanks for your steady replay in the forum, appriciate it much.

Happy you found the Problem and could fixed it.
I played with friends on Sunday ..with all types of Wheels suddenly it was getting really loud in the headset because a few of the Wheels started violently to shake, so its not a G920 Problem alone--as we expierienced

I read you didn´t test the Xbox Version by yourself, so I think something went terribly wrong during that phase...please correct me if I´m wrong.

I´m happy for the people with excellent FFB expierience and looking forward for the same expierince.

MaXyM
17-11-2017, 10:12

If multiplayer session hangs (to all participants) while loading the track... I would safely call it game breaking.
Or SMS team is not aware about this issue?
The same in case MP while each driver has different weather conditions. IT IS game-breaking.

E.Hak
19-11-2017, 09:28
They are bragging about a 10% fix in the next update... wonder when the other 90% will be fixed?? :wink-new:

Konan
19-11-2017, 09:34
They are bragging about a 10% fix in the next update... wonder when the other 90% will be fixed?? :wink-new:

Bragging?

Kostman22
19-11-2017, 09:37

Cry more, we really care...

Ian Bell
19-11-2017, 09:37

So you want zero overhead to run a game. As in we could run it on a playing card??

No one was bragging, it wasn't about a 'fix' and it's people like you that put us off communicating.

Don't ruin things for others.

You know, here was my post:

We've managed to find some more optimisations coming in the next patch (among a hell of a lot of other things). Maybe 10% which should improve the experience a lot under heavy conditions.

It really does discourage any of us from communicating. You can't have it both ways. You can't insist on communication, then take that honest communication and twist it to be something it isn't adding negative connotations of your own...

Chimildo
19-11-2017, 09:59
Since this is a G920 FFB thread I fired the game up last night and it was like a different wheel, don't know if there were any fixes in the X updates but it felt great. I was contemplating buying a different wheel but now I'm pretty happy with it

E.Hak
19-11-2017, 10:10
So you want zero overhead to run a game. As in we could run it on a playing card??

No one was bragging, it wasn't about a 'fix' and it's people like you that put us off communicating.

It really does discourage any of us from communicating. You can't have it both ways. You can't insist on communication, then take that honest communication and twist it to be something it isn't adding negative connotations of your own...

Dude I have no idea what you are talking about, that's why I use a console for gaming and not a PC... I will tell you one thing about people like me... We don't care about graphics flickering, audio not as it should be... All we care about is keeping our saved game data!

I have offered to help in other posts and I still offer my services to you in order to help find a fix to the saving problem. You guys just do not seem to be listening to any of your customers. I find it very amusing how you police this forum; 'No one was bragging, it wasn't about a 'fix' and it's people like you that put us off communicating' You only communicate with people that kiss your behinds or people like me when they hit a nerve. I have seen threads on this forum which have been closed within 10 mins of being posted and they had legitimate questions! Okay they may have not been pleasant in their wording of it but, their complaint was valid. Instead you delete their post and most likely ban them.

E.Hak
19-11-2017, 10:11
Since this is a G920 FFB thread I fired the game up last night and it was like a different wheel, don't know if there were any fixes in the X updates but it felt great. I was contemplating buying a different wheel but now I'm pretty happy with it

I also noticed this last night.

Konan
19-11-2017, 10:19
Okay they may have not been pleasant in their wording of it but, their complaint was valid. Instead you delete their post and most likely ban them.

Cause and result all wrapped up in one sentence...Anything else?

Robhd
19-11-2017, 11:52
The mods have recently given me an infarction for going over the same old ground, which in truth i found a bit high handed given my 'sin' in their eyes wasn't being a good customer and just shutting up, but hey ho.. There you go!

Hopefully, my question here won't be old ground and i won't reincur their collective wrath..

In regard the to the problems with the logitech and thrustmaster wheels SMS have repeatedly stated these are issues affecting some wheels, which leads me to ask is this being perceived as game related problems, or quality control issues to do with the hardware manufacturers? It seems odd if not all wheels of the same models have issues in the game as surely every wheel should be as near as damn identical within the same make/model?

GTsimms
19-11-2017, 12:01
The mods have recently given me an infarction for going over the same old ground, which in truth i found a bit high handed given my 'sin' in their eyes wasn't being a good customer and just shutting up, but hey ho.. There you go!

Hopefully, my question here won't be old ground and i won't reincur their collective wrath..

In regard the to the problems with the logitech and thrustmaster wheels SMS have repeatedly stated these are issues affecting some wheels, which leads me to ask is this being perceived as game related problems, or quality control issues to do with the hardware manufacturers? It seems odd if not all wheels of the same models have issues in the game as surely every wheel should be as near as damn identical within the same make/model?

^ Please stop it Robhd I am having issues with my Thrustmaster wheels. It would be great, if thrustmaster had more info. It seems like they shipped different levels of motors around the world IMO.

V3nom
19-11-2017, 12:05
@GTsimms
What kind of problems are you having?
Is it the T300, T150 or both of them causing problems?
How old is the respective wheel?

Excuse my interogation, just curious and hoping it's not the t300. :)

GTsimms
19-11-2017, 12:21
Both wheels, it affects 2x 150's and my T300. AJ is aware and I hope, he can get a fix in soon. The ffb has been great and then bad. So, I am hoping a fix is incoming. Mine are 2 years, but the T300 has limited time.

I bought a second T150, for testing in WMD 2 to make sure an issue was not my wheel going out. The original T150 is still good, but the newer is better. I think, the production date was late 2016 or early 2017.

Well, what I could be suspecting, it could be something like a corner case as with the Logitech wheels. I have also, thought about shipping one of my T150's to AJ.

V3nom
19-11-2017, 12:36
I read many reports about the bad reliability of the thrustmaster products. Anyway thanks for the answer and I hope everything gets sorted out in your favour.

GTsimms
19-11-2017, 12:53
Right now, looking at the new Sparco wheel for the T300 and waiting on Fanatec

fresquito
19-11-2017, 17:13
Dude I have no idea what you are talking about[...]
Then maybe refrain from making "clever" remarks about things you don't know?

Seriously, what's the average age around here?

Robhd
19-11-2017, 21:00
^ Please stop it Robhd I am having issues with my Thrustmaster wheels. It would be great, if thrustmaster had more info. It seems like they shipped different levels of motors around the world IMO.

Sorry, i am genuinely at a loss about 'what I should be stopping?'

But you may have a very good point regarding different internals to the wheels in different markets, presumably due to voltage, local consumer and safety legislation etc... Yes, i can see that although externally the products may look identical, internally they could potentialy vary quite a lot.. But surely that would be the case for all the wheel manufacturers not just TM and Logitech?

GTsimms
19-11-2017, 23:35
Well, I can't Fanatec hasn't had it's issues either!

Cafe Racer
20-11-2017, 05:12

To the "haters / trolls" out there punishing SMS... I write code for web applications for a living, but I can’t imagine the level of sophistication that the SMS team is codes at. I can only imagine that it must be extremely complicated. What you have here is a very sophisticated piece of software. There are many moving parts in a piece of software such as this... For starters, you have the code for the physics model, the data that was gathered for those physics, physics models for each vehicle, not to mention the UI design, graphics models, and engine rendering the graphics, to name just a few. That said, I’m sure I haven't even scratched the surface as to the effort and considerations put in to produce this simulator. So maybe, the haters and trolls can take a moment to imagine how much work has gone into (and will continue to go into) this game. Oh... and this is not about "kissing arse..." It's about providing constructive criticism and courteous discourse. There’s a saying, "You get more with Honey than with Vinegar..."

Cut the SMS crew a break... Consider discussing the elements of the game that really strike a positive note and make respectful mention of any issues that need addressing when discovered. SMS is working on a terrific product, and (no doubt) they are keenly aware the final product will dictate that success.

tms
20-11-2017, 08:06
To the "haters / trolls" out there punishing SMS... I write code for web applications for a living, but I can’t imagine the level of sophistication that the SMS team is codes at. I can only imagine that it must be extremely complicated. What you have here is a very sophisticated piece of software. There are many moving parts in a piece of software such as this... For starters, you have the code for the physics model, the data that was gathered for those physics, physics models for each vehicle, not to mention the UI design, graphics models, and engine rendering the graphics, to name just a few. That said, I’m sure I haven't even scratched the surface as to the effort and considerations put in to produce this simulator. So maybe, the haters and trolls can take a moment to imagine how much work has gone into (and will continue to go into) this game. Oh... and this is not about "kissing arse..." It's about providing constructive criticism and courteous discourse. There’s a saying, "You get more with Honey than with Vinegar..."

Cut the SMS crew a break... Consider discussing the elements of the game that really strike a positive note and make respectful mention of any issues that need addressing when discovered. SMS is working on a terrific product, and (no doubt) they are keenly aware the final product will dictate that success.

What a ridiculous post....

Why should we care about the complexity of the underlying code when calling out issues? There are problems in the current release that stop people like me from enjoying the game (especially related to ffb), pointing those out doesn't make us trolls or hater.

Konan
20-11-2017, 08:15

Why should we care about the complexity of the underlying code when calling out issues? There are problems in the current release that stop people like me from enjoying the game (especially related to ffb), pointing those out doesn't make us trolls or hater.

I am presuming he meant on some other forums (out there)
He didn't say you have to care he just wanted to explain so people would understand better....which is a different thing...

Cafe Racer
20-11-2017, 13:55

Thank you Konan, you are correct... I have seen ALOT of very negative (and just plain snarky) feedback regarding PC2. As expected... some people have missed the point...

I didn't say not to "call out issues". It is VERY necessary to make those issues know so that SMS can improve the game and provide the community the experience they are looking for. What I did say; however, is to "Consider discussing the elements of the game that really strike a positive note and make respectful mention of any issues that need addressing when discovered." In case you missed it, the key word is "RESPECTFUL"...

TMS, I'll write a shorter and more easy to understand post so the point isn't lost on you next time...

BobTheDog
30-11-2017, 17:43

Hi,

I just loaded up the new version for the first time (bad back for a while) and my force feedback is basically non existent.

Could you please tell me what settings you use?

Do I need to update the 920 or something?

Many thanks for any help

Andy

p.s. this is on Xbox X

beetes_juice
30-11-2017, 17:44
Xbox has not received the patch yet.

Anchorman
30-11-2017, 18:41
We are all still waiting patiently......hopefully when MS get their finger out. I wonder if they make Turn 10 Studios wait this long?

BobTheDog
30-11-2017, 18:45
Thanks for the info guys.

I misunderstood when I read before and though the update was there for the Xbox.

I will wait with baited breath :)