PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - Sharpening filter for us VR users

keem85
24-09-2017, 13:23
Hi guys. I would like to suggest implementing a sharpening filter, like the iRacing team did. In VR this would help vastly, and it does not cost a lot of compuer power either :)

I also would suggest being able to remove driver arms without removing the rim itself. (The moderators have already noted my wish for this though, but wanted to mention it again because of it's importance to me and several others)

-Happy camper

EDIT: https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/Shaders/LumaSharpen.fx

hugopro4
24-09-2017, 13:30
good idea, would be a great addition :)

Fight-Test
24-09-2017, 13:39
Hi guys. I would like to suggest implementing a sharpening filter, like the iRacing team did. In VR this would help vastly, and it does not cost a lot of compuer power either :)

I also would suggest being able to remove driver arms without removing the rim itself. (The moderators have already noted my wish for this though, but wanted to mention it again because of it's importance to me and several others)

-Happy camper

Just out of curiosity as I'm new to vr but what would the benifit of having a static wheel with no arms? Would it be a armless person in car or just no person at all? Wouldn't it be weird when looking around cockpit?

Hobbs77
24-09-2017, 13:57
-Happy camper

You can increase the pixel density using the Oculus Debug Tool I believe.

keem85
24-09-2017, 14:02
Just out of curiosity as I'm new to vr but what would the benifit of having a static wheel with no arms? Would it be a armless person in car or just no person at all? Wouldn't it be weird when looking around cockpit?

Since you're asking :) In F1 cars the arms are always stationary. Which means that it's better to have the arms VISIBLE.. But in cars that has a H-pattern shifter, where you often hold your left hand on top of the steering wheel and the other hand on the shifter, a visible virtual hand will totally destroy the immersion.. Also if these cars slip, your brain will try to make you put your physical hands where the virtual ones are, instead of catching the slide in a way you otherwise would do.. So in a sense it can make you drive more badly with these kind of cars, because you don't hold your hands where the virtual ones are.. Also, driving without virtual hands is way more immersive than you initially would think it is.. Because there is no extra distraction. Just you and your car.

Harmoniser
24-09-2017, 14:52
You can increase the pixel density using the Oculus Debug Tool I believe.

Out of interest have you tried this in debug tool, it doesn't seem to do anything for me, just in pc2

rosgillies
24-09-2017, 15:01
Out of interest have you tried this in debug tool, it doesn't seem to do anything for me, just in pc2

Get the Oculus tray tool by Appollonvr on Oculus discussion forum. Sorts all kinds of settings. Absolutely indispensable.

Hobbs77
24-09-2017, 15:26

Yes.....and there's also a in game setting for Super Sampling for VR that SMS included.

keem85
24-09-2017, 20:48
Super sampling and sharpening are two different things :)

keem85
25-09-2017, 10:06
For helping purposes, here are the github code for implementing sharpening filter, for you SMS guys: https://github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/Shaders/LumaSharpen.fx

I hope you will give it a shot :)

rocho
25-09-2017, 10:32
Super sampling and sharpening are two different things :)
You are right, for instance, Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad has sharpening filter.

gp20
25-09-2017, 11:05
What could help would be to use a new vr headset like the Lenovo Explorer and be able to have higher resolution than the one locked by steam (which is vive resolution).
The Lenovo Explorer is the only one among new headsets which propose OLED screens (1440x1440).

While waiting you can try this :
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reshade-v3-0-8-sweetfx-v2-0.17362/

keem85
25-09-2017, 12:17
What could help would be to use a new vr headset like the Lenovo Explorer and be able to have higher resolution than the one locked by steam (which is vive resolution).
The Lenovo Explorer is the only one among new headsets which propose OLED screens (1440x1440).

While waiting you can try this :
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reshade-v3-0-8-sweetfx-v2-0.17362/

Reshade and SweetFX does not work with Vive and Rift. But I posted the source code, and it's easy to implement it to the game :)

TheHeathen
25-09-2017, 14:26
Agreed, please add the sharpening filter AND add Temporal Anti-Aliasing too :)

keem85
26-09-2017, 09:38
Agreed, please add the sharpening filter AND add Temporal Anti-Aliasing too :)

Would temporal AA help?

whip
26-09-2017, 09:52
+1.

keem85
26-09-2017, 10:53
https://www.reddit.com/r/iRacing/comments/5zbqqf/what_is_sharpnessclamp_in_the_dx11_ini_file/

The first comment in this thread explains sharpening very well, and i think it should be fairly easy to implement it to Project Cars 2. The github link I sent also explains the method in detail.. And for VR headsets this is a REAL gamechanger! At least for several HMD generations ahead, due to the way sharpness clamp work.
:D :cool:

TheHeathen
26-09-2017, 16:33
Would temporal AA help?

Yes, it would help a great deal with the shimmer and crawlies from the AA used. It would add some blurriness to it so, the sharpness filter would work great with it. TAA also has a somewhat low impact on resources.

Check out some videos of The Division gameplay. They use TAA and sharpness for a really smooth looking world.

keem85
27-09-2017, 07:24
Yes, it would help a great deal with the shimmer and crawlies from the AA used. It would add some blurriness to it so, the sharpness filter would work great with it. TAA also has a somewhat low impact on resources.

Check out some videos of The Division gameplay. They use TAA and sharpness for a really smooth looking world.

Cool. I think the shimmer problem has always been present in the pcars games, but personally it hasn't bothered me too much to be honest. The sharpness on the other hand, is a big change in visual clarity :)