PDA

View Full Version : Simvibe

F1Aussie
24-09-2017, 14:56
Hi all, for those of you who use simvibe with PC2, what effects are you using in extension mode for the seat and pedals?
Cheers

ELAhrairah
24-09-2017, 18:46
My best experience is to keep it as simple as possible.

For the seat:

Engine vibration
Gear shifting
Road bumps
White noise

I have no pedal rumble but I do have shifter:

Engine vibration
Gear shifting

And I have 4 kickers for each wheel as chassis but that one I still need to configurate.

This all is my personal preference and the equipment you have make a difference. So I don't have regular kickers but instead I bought this and it works fine: http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/Search.html?search=Bass+pimp+iii&searchType=mainSearchBar

F1Aussie
25-09-2017, 00:25
Thanks, what is white noise, I dont think I have seen that.

ELAhrairah
25-09-2017, 02:38
Thanks, what is white noise, I dont think I have seen that.

Thats when you go faster and faster and you feel the wind.

Djinn
25-09-2017, 06:04
Yesterday I configured my SimVibe for pCARS2 (one Buttkicker under the seat).

I'm using engine vibration, gear shifts, road bumps and crashes.

It took a while to fine tune the volumes for every effect and I tried to remove clipping as much as possible.

After a few races I had the problem that the vibe-effects sometimes were missing completely. And then when I drove over a curb the Buttkicker suddenly got activated again (including engine vibration, gear shifts and so on). After a few hundered metres on track the effects were goneagain. I don't know if it's a problem of the game (maybe sometimes not sending telemetry data over the API) or a problem with Simvibe or my Buttkicker.

Has anyone experienced this too?

ELAhrairah
25-09-2017, 20:48
Yesterday I configured my SimVibe for pCARS2 (one Buttkicker under the seat).

I'm using engine vibration, gear shifts, road bumps and crashes.

It took a while to fine tune the volumes for every effect and I tried to remove clipping as much as possible.

After a few races I had the problem that the vibe-effects sometimes were missing completely. And then when I drove over a curb the Buttkicker suddenly got activated again (including engine vibration, gear shifts and so on). After a few hundered metres on track the effects were goneagain. I don't know if it's a problem of the game (maybe sometimes not sending telemetry data over the API) or a problem with Simvibe or my Buttkicker.

Has anyone experienced this too?

Yes. Watkins glen circut on the straight. No feeling . I hope that simxperience will solve it with the new pcars2 plugin.:confused:

Edit:
Experimental plugin for project cars 2 now available via update simcommander. But damn! You need to use shared memory project cars 2 instead of project cars 1. Well that means I cannot use all my old dashboard apps. :(

Qxs
25-09-2017, 22:25
I'm starting to think the way to set things up is optimize SimCommander4 for road bumps (curbs mainly) and optimize pCars 2 FFB for tire slip...

Do the pCars 2 FFB settings affect the SimCommander4 input signal?

Mahjik
25-09-2017, 22:51
Do the pCars 2 FFB settings affect the SimCommander4 input signal?

Nope.

Djinn
26-09-2017, 06:37
Yes. Watkins glen circut on the straight. No feeling . I hope that simxperience will solve it with the new pcars2 plugin.:confused:

Edit:
Experimental plugin for project cars 2 now available via update simcommander. But damn! You need to use shared memory project cars 2 instead of project cars 1. Well that means I cannot use all my old dashboard apps. :(

Thank you, I have used Shared Memory Project CARS 1. I will try Project CARS 2 then. :)

Which dashboard apps do you use? I'm using pCARS dash or Race Dash for pCARS and they both work with UDP. And AFAIK, shared memory and UDP can work simultaneously.

Jack Spade
26-09-2017, 07:50
Since their latest update Im getting a heartbeat like on going impulse when the game is in pause mode, no matter which shared memory version is active, anybody else get this?

Djinn
26-09-2017, 08:53
Since their latest update Im getting a heartbeat like on going impulse when the game is in pause mode, no matter which shared memory version is active, anybody else get this?

Yes, noticed that too.

wizzer111
26-09-2017, 10:57
I'm getting it as well, but when i was downloading the simvibe update it was saying it was experimental, so I think there still working on it.

Johngrim
26-09-2017, 11:28
Anybody knows how to launch project cars 2 into vr mode from simvibe? Iv had to launch game first then alt tab back to start simvibe second.

ELAhrairah
26-09-2017, 12:01
Thank you, I have used Shared Memory Project CARS 1. I will try Project CARS 2 then. :)

Which dashboard apps do you use? I'm using pCARS dash or Race Dash for pCARS and they both work with UDP. And AFAIK, shared memory and UDP can work simultaneously.

I use Race dash and sli max pro

Edit: and crew chief but I still cant get it to work.:confused:

CiccioFritz
26-09-2017, 12:42

Confirm, very annoying

Ramjet
26-09-2017, 13:52
Anybody knows how to launch project cars 2 into vr mode from simvibe? Iv had to launch game first then alt tab back to start simvibe second.

In SC4 under settings games enter the following into the parameters box :- steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent
then on the next line Wait On, enter :- pCARS2.exe

I am not getting any effects whatsoever working via Simvibe no matter what I set it at - totally dead on both my Buttkicker Gamer 2 and AccuForce wheel.

ELAhrairah
26-09-2017, 14:05

Exact same here and it crashes all the time. On the simxperience members forum you can report it. They are collecting all the crash data: http://simxperience.com/Default.aspx?tabid=742&g=posts&t=2768

F1Aussie
27-09-2017, 13:46
Thats when you go faster and faster and you feel the wind.
ah, righto

F1Aussie
27-09-2017, 13:50
yep, I get the same thing.

Qxs
27-09-2017, 22:53
I believe the 'heartbeat/pulsing was coming from the Simvibe Gear Shift effect, turning it down seemed to stop it.. but also weakened any useful out...

kwild
29-09-2017, 14:19
I believe the 'heartbeat/pulsing was coming from the Simvibe Gear Shift effect, turning it down seemed to stop it.. but also weakened any useful out...

Just assign a key on your wheel/Button board to disable SimVibe when you are not racing :

Button profile --> select Monitored Joystick 1 --> Sim Command Mappings (TAB) --> In Game (TAB) --> +Add --> Toggle Commander Data

and select the button you want to use.

ELAhrairah
30-09-2017, 14:18
Just assign a key on your wheel/Button board to disable SimVibe when you are not racing :

Button profile --> select Monitored Joystick 1 --> Sim Command Mappings (TAB) --> In Game (TAB) --> +Add --> Toggle Commander Data

and select the button you want to use.

Awesome tip. I’m going to try to do this when working on my race setup. The game keeps crashing when I try to save my car setups. Known accuforce problem.
Maybe if I switch off simvibe (simcommander) It might halt that.

satco1066
30-09-2017, 22:18
we have on accuforce driver in our group, that has the same problem with saving. a quick fix was to disable Antivirus. In his case windows 10 defender.
This changed that strange crash on "save setup" from most time crashing to very few.
Next step will be to define a rule to leave out the folder where it happens from being scanned by defender.

ELAhrairah
30-09-2017, 23:36
we have on accuforce driver in our group, that has the same problem with saving. a quick fix was to disable Antivirus. In his case windows 10 defender.
This changed that strange crash on "save setup" from most time crashing to very few.
Next step will be to define a rule to leave out the folder where it happens from being scanned by defender.

Thank you for the tip!

satco1066
01-10-2017, 21:37
did it help? Please give feedback.

ELAhrairah
01-10-2017, 23:14
did it help? Please give feedback.

I have tried but no luck. I have bought a new PCIe card for my usb inputs. Seems that that was also not working well with the AF and causing many system crashes.

Djinn
02-10-2017, 05:47
Yesterday I tried SimCommander4/SimVibe with Shared Memory settings set to Project CARS 2. I couldn't get any rumble from my Buttkicker. On my side it does only work when Shared Memory in-game is set to Project CARS 1.

Does it work for anyone with the Project CARS 2 setting? Do I have to change a setting in SimCommander4 for it to work?

jonston
02-10-2017, 06:23
Im running in Project cars 2 mode. works fine for me.

Jack Spade
02-10-2017, 08:45
Yesterday I tried SimCommander4/SimVibe with Shared Memory settings set to Project CARS 2. I couldn't get any rumble from my Buttkicker. On my side it does only work when Shared Memory in-game is set to Project CARS 1.

Does it work for anyone with the Project CARS 2 setting? Do I have to change a setting in SimCommander4 for it to work?

Simvibe in german, I assume you too. With this it works.

Einstellungen/Project Cars 2 (Steam)/Warten auf/steam.exe -pCARS2AVX.exe

Djinn
02-10-2017, 09:24
Simvibe in german, I assume you too. With this it works.

Einstellungen/Project Cars 2 (Steam)/Warten auf/steam.exe -pCARS2AVX.exe

Yes, it's set to German for me because I am from Austria.

I already added pCARS2AVX.exe, otherwise it wouldn't work with Shared Memory set to Project CARS 1 either. It's really strange.

Anyway, yesterday it worked perfectly and I didn't have any dropouts or missing effects like I had last time with Project CARS 1 Shared Memory settings.

ELAhrairah
02-10-2017, 19:11
Yes, it's set to German for me because I am from Austria.

I already added pCARS2AVX.exe, otherwise it wouldn't work with Shared Memory set to Project CARS 1 either. It's really strange.

Anyway, yesterday it worked perfectly and I didn't have any dropouts or missing effects like I had last time with Project CARS 1 Shared Memory settings.

When you are in the game try to alt tab back to the simcommander screen and click again on the game. It will start working. It did for me.

Djinn
02-10-2017, 19:45
I deleted all pCARS2 settings from SimCommander and set it up again from scratch. Now it all works with shared memory settings in-game set to Project CARS 2.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help! :)

John Hargreaves
21-01-2018, 12:08
Hi guys, just one or two general questions on this topic:
I've just set up a simple one amp, one bass shaker using the subwoofer signal from the front panel headphone socket. It's working pretty well and I am very happy with the results from the sound based method and the whole setup cost about 45 ($60ish?). My question is, after reading this thread, does the simvibe software add a massive amount to the whole experience, or is it just a small improvement and possibly a lot of faffing about with software?
The Simvibe software is more than I paid for the hardware, and there are no refunds, so it is quite a step and I'd like to be sure before buying it. The bass shaker I have now is just screwed onto the underside of my office chair, not a dedicated rig, so there is little likelihood of adding any more in future.
Also, I'm currently running it just through my headphones, and haven't started trying to get it set up with the rift yet. I've read about mirroring the audio output - is that the method the rift users employ to get the shaker working? I did think that a simple solution would be to remove the rift headphones and just use my normal ones, what do you guys think?

Zaskarspants
21-01-2018, 12:57
^^ Hi John, thanks for sharing that, I am interested in trying such a low price option, can you say what kit you used?

John Hargreaves
21-01-2018, 15:16
I got this amp mainly as it had a separate subwoofer output channel with its own volume control

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071J4QV91/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a Y-splitter cable into the front panel headphone socket coming from my soundcard, one part to the amp, the other to the headphones. The sub out from the amp I connected to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0034JI3EE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I screwed onto a piece of plywood that I bolted under my office chair. I'm going to connect the amp and my chair with a curly headphone cable, which will be neater and allow me to disconnect my new electric chair more easily. The rest was a few bits of speaker cable I had lying around, but if you had to buy everything from scratch it would still only be a few quid more. Whole thing took an hour or two to install, a bit of trial & error, hunting through the shed for bolts and plywood etc, and it was a very simple bit of drilling and wiring, little bit of soldering, but in terms of electronics about as easy as it gets.
Nice thing is it just works, you can turn it on and off quickly (amp screwed under my desk) and it works in all games as it uses the sound output. I can't believe I've not cottoned on to this before, it's an excellent value for money add on, really enhances the immersion.

MuddyPaws73
21-01-2018, 16:05
My understanding of how simvibe works is you need a dedicated sound card and the software channels telemetry data to the shaker(s) through the dedicated sound card. It sounds like you are just sending the game audio to your amp and then to the bass shaker.

John Hargreaves
21-01-2018, 18:28
Yeah, that's right I'm just using the simple game audio method currently, and I'm having a real blast actually, what a discovery. So to go the simvibe route would I need to add another sound card, or could I use the onboard audio (which is currently disabled due to me using the Xonar card). If I reactivated that, would it work as the second sound source do you think?

MuddyPaws73
21-01-2018, 20:57
So to go the simvibe route would I need to add another sound card, or could I use the onboard audio (which is currently disabled due to me using the Xonar card). If I reactivated that, would it work as the second sound source do you think?

Yes, as long you stay with one or two channels, assuming you only have stereo outputs with the onboard audio. You need 5.1 for the four channel option.

satco1066
22-01-2018, 00:46
Hi John,
the difference is, SimVibe generates a tone for different events itself. This is independent to gamesound and its in totally customisable dependent to telemetry from shared memory.

In the first picture you see the main controller panel ( sorry in german ) per game
translated to english you see there motor-vibration, gearchange, colission, bumps, front axle curbs, rear axle curbs, front suspension, rear suspension
every event has its own master slider for sensitivity, can be switched on/off and owns its own sub control

in 2nd picture you see some of the controls per effect.

1. motor vibration: first 2 sliders are for revs min/max from game, then output tone min/max to bass shaker linear translated from input settings.
then there is the position to be routed to: all 4 corners, front or rear.
2. gear change: here you can only adjust the tone and the volume of the click generated by the soundcard
3. colissions: different tones for bumps and colissions and some fine tuning sliders
and so on

so you can really control all the events that generate some vibration to be added to your chassis. It can be totally tweaked to your personal best feeling.
You can also add the same effect multiple times with different settings to get harmonic tones.
You can create settings per car and track, but that will be much personal effort.
In the SV owners club you can find very good predifined settings.

Thats why, there is a big difference between just a gamesound bass and routed telemetry effects.

What you also need on the hardware side is e.g a free multi channel sound card ( i e.g. use an additional USB 5.1 card ) , good power amplifiers about 100W / channel and good bassshakers.
Originally i tried that with cheap devices ( 12$) per speaker and a 40+40 W amplifier, but that is to weak.
The thing is, the vibration should be slightly under the cognition. That can only made with heavy masses and power to move em .
If the system rattles as hell, you'll be nerved to hell, and will not use it in short time.
Currently i use 4 Reckhorn BS-200 and a Mac Audio MPExclusive 4.0 XL-4 Channel amplifier driven by a 500W PC powersupply.

ok, enough of marketing, i paid also that high price for this app.
Thanks for reading ;)

Ramjet
22-01-2018, 00:51
Hey John i think you nailed it when you said you are using the game audio and having a blast. My advice is stick with that unless or until you go big and have a 4 x bass shaker setup. Simvibe is great because it takes the sim physics output but it truly shines with a multiple output setup on a full racing rig. Simvibe gives you multiple data output streams as effects like engine rpm, road texture and bumps, gear changes and collision to name a few. But keep in mind you really only pick say 2 different effects for one bass shaker else the effects mix together and it becomes a confused jumble of rumbles !

You can have a heap of fun and immersion just basic how you now have it. I had a 4 bass shaker setup but went back to just a single buttkicker when i got my motion rig as it already has tactile feedback built in and the single bass shaker just complements and enhances it a little. No doubt others will have a different opinion and some sim racers go extreme and like to have maximum everything but i always find the best feel is when the effects are subtle and defined, kinda the less is more philosophy. Also it becomes too much for my old brain to comprehend and i get over whelmed by too much vibration and shaking. Motion is similar in that i have it dialled in so the cues to trick the brain are subtle, not head spinning or stomach churning, more important too when racing in VR.

Hope i at least offered a few points to consider, good luck and have fun playing around with it as it does give added life to a static racing rig. Cheers mate, mark B :D

Mahjik
22-01-2018, 01:42
Yeah, that's right I'm just using the simple game audio method currently, and I'm having a real blast actually, what a discovery. So to go the simvibe route would I need to add another sound card, or could I use the onboard audio (which is currently disabled due to me using the Xonar card). If I reactivated that, would it work as the second sound source do you think?

Yes, you can use your onboard audio.

FWIW, SimVibe with a single shaker really depends on the sim. When using only low bass ranges, if the sim has a lot of car sounds in that range it's great. However, if the sim doesn't then you don't get a lot out of it. This is how I ran my Buttkicker when I got it. This was back in the rFactor/RACE07 era. Back then, it depended on the mod as to if it was effective or not.

Simvibe can enhance things, but again, it can vary based on the sim. You might miss the constant rumble you get from just running from low bass frequencies (some titles support engine vibration, but it doesn't alway work well). I typically recommend Simvibe when going with 2 or more shakers, but you can get some value using a single shaker with Simvibe. IIRC, they have a trial offer.

FxUK
22-01-2018, 15:48
When I first got my buttkicker (recently) I ran it from the sound and whilst it generally felt ok, things like the wipers setting it off bugged me a bit.

I decided to try Simvibe instead. I used the same onboard audio card, luckily for me It showed as two audio devices, one for optical and one regular. I used the optical output for sound and the regular output for simvibe. It worked a treat, although I have since reconnected my addon sound card because I was having to faff around with default audio devices a lot.

I probably haven't got the best settings (yet) for simvibe (suggestions for a single buttkicker welcomed) but I certainly don't regret purchasing it. Since it's working of telemetry and not just audio, it feels more connected and compliments the ffb from my wheel very well.

Edit: Ignore me asking for suggestions, I just found out about the 'owners club profiles' :P

John Hargreaves
22-01-2018, 19:22
Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. Plenty of food for thought in here.

satco1066
23-01-2018, 00:47
one of the nicest effects you cannot simulate with bass driven buttkickers:
When you are jumping/loose contact to the road, all that road effects are away for this moment.
There is only the enginesound. That was so amazing the first time, that i totally lost control in Dirt Rally and crashed.
The following bumps and colission effects put me back to live ;)

F1Aussie
23-01-2018, 11:12
I reckon my entire kit of 150w amo, 2 shakers, soundcard and simvibe cost me about 600 Aussie bucks. I would do it it all over again as the difference it has made is incredible, I cannot drive without it now as you can feel the car under you and what it is doing.
If you sit in the garage with the engine ticking over in a big lumpy v8 you will feel it through your seat and pedals, feels like you are actually sitting in the car. Change gears and you feel the clunk in the seat of your pants. Go over kerbs and you feel the vibrations through you like if you do in a real car. You can feel the bumps in the track surface and feel some loss of traction when you slide the back end. I cant believe I simmed for 20 years before trying this, I find it a game changer.

wesker6664
23-01-2018, 14:01
+1 and also the impacts are quite impressive :p