PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a nookie?

Y2Dre
24-09-2017, 15:11
After years of playing racing games like Burnout Paradise, Wipeout, and Need For Speed, I'm finally ready to tackle a true racing sim. I chose PC2 over GT Sport because of PC2's career mode. Because of the HUGE learning curve ahead of me, I'm perfectly fine with racing AI until I build up my skill level.

Are there any tips more experienced drivers would be willing to share that would make this journey more enjoyable...lol? I can't keep a car on the track to save my life! I'm using a T150 (the pro edition with the hyped up pedals) on a PS4. I'm willing to be patient as I learn more about driving.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I'm having a ball so far and I can't wait to step my game up.

hkraft300
24-09-2017, 15:14
Watch the videos. Follow the links. Suggested reading. Take a trip down the rabbit hole. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast)

Jbpd
24-09-2017, 15:18
I'd start off in the slower cars and just learn the tracks

I always pick a track then try and do ten laps in a row with each lap quicker than the last building it up. Some laps you might make small error early in the lap but you know you can make it up later in the lap if you start off easy and build it up

Always brake earlier than the limit to really helps with consistency - I'd say 90% of errors when racing come from braking too late.

hkraft300
24-09-2017, 15:23
+1
Slow cars are the way to learn. GT4, rookie, slow road cars.
On big open tracks like Silverstone classic/national. A1 ring. Not too complex.

Y2Dre
24-09-2017, 15:31
Thanks for the feedback. I initially thought that starting off in karts was the smart way to go. But, with no practice or qualifying rounds available, I started focusing more on winning instead of figuring everything out.

I think watching a few more tutorial videos is a good idea followed by focusing on one thing at a time. I can always load up a custom race every now and then to have some fun.

GBO Possum
24-09-2017, 15:39
I'm a novice to PC2, but with about 10 years of console gaming experience with wheels.

Here's my two cents' worth of advice which is not specific to this game.

Take your shoes off because it improves your sensitivity on the pedals.

Read and study this book - www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-Mastering-Race-Driving/dp/0837602262. "Going Faster" provides superb insight into what makes a faster driver, on real world or sim tracks.

Make "slow in, fast out" your mantra.

When practicing, seek consistency of lap time. When you plateau, strive for repeatability within 1%, and often, weaknesses will reveal themselves and lead you to the next plateau.

When practicing a new track/car combo, seek steady improvement over raw speed. That way, you'll avoid off-track and xcursions, and, more importantly, you'll avoid storing poor behavior in that pattern storage/recognition machine between your ears.

Jbpd
24-09-2017, 15:44
I'd forget karts mate go try ginetta junior

Y2Dre
24-09-2017, 15:47
Another question...should I start off with assists on and then turn them off as I get more comfortable? Or, do I go all in (manual shifting, no assists) and deal with the growing pains? I figure a case could be made for both options.

Jbpd
24-09-2017, 16:05
Good question I'm helping teach my lad and only assist I let him use is manual gearbox.

But that's in slow cars

milliotseb
24-09-2017, 17:50
Good question I'm helping teach my lad and only assist I let him use is manual gearbox.

But that's in slow cars

I think you mean "auto gearbox". Y2Dre, I would say "do a season with auto gearbox to focus on steering/accelerator/braking, and then repeat the same season with manual gearbox".

Martini Da Gasalini
24-09-2017, 19:07
I suggest turning assists off, yes you'll feel like your on ice, but this is the best way to guage the "feel" of the car, this is also a good way to hone your touch on gas and brake pressure and progressiveness, it will take some time, there is a learning curve, especially coming from arcade racers, you'll have to unlearn the bad habits those games have taught you, like GBO said make "slow in, fast out your mantra." This cannot be emphasized enough.

Be patient, it takes practice and time to get comfortable, learn a track, you'll need to learn a track's intricacies..shift points, brake points and little nuances.....and finally practice practice practice, it doesn't happen overnight.

steve30x
24-09-2017, 19:29
You could try looking for a woman if you want nookie

Roger Prynne
24-09-2017, 19:30
^ I was waiting for someone to say that :biggrin-new:

Y2Dre
24-09-2017, 20:20
You could try looking for a woman if you want nookie

I'm good in that department...lmao. I was a victim of auto-correct while entering the title. I obviously meant "noobie". I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did before somebody cracked a joke about that. I can already tell that I'm gonna like hanging around here. :-)