PDA

View Full Version : Brake Sensitivity

Eric Rowland
24-09-2017, 15:52
What's the best setting to go fast? I'm using a hydraulic braking system....greater than 50 or less than 50?....what say ye?
btw....do you brake early and get on the throttle early or brake late into the apex?

Mahjik
24-09-2017, 16:50
I use the Protosimtech pedals and have mine typically between 38-40.

Dady Cairo
24-09-2017, 17:24
i also think breaking is a bit loose here.
Can this be improved or should it be like that?
DC

Mahjik
24-09-2017, 21:22
When you mean loose, are you referring to stability (i.e. the braking is a little unstable)?

Alipjc2
02-10-2017, 03:10
Hello can someone help me when i brake into corners my car all over the place very unstable i use thrustmaster t300rs can anyone help

Alipjc2
04-10-2017, 12:51
It's that bad I lose control of car an spin out

Tbolt
04-10-2017, 14:07
I guess it depends on what your brake pedal is like, I've just put mine up to 75 as on some modern road cars you have to push the brake pedal almost all the way down for max braking ( they could do with some more brake pressure ) and with the spring I have on my G27 it is a lot of work after a few laps otherwise.

Tbolt
04-10-2017, 14:09
Hello can someone help me when i brake into corners my car all over the place very unstable i use thrustmaster t300rs can anyone help

Either brake less or reduced the brake pressure. Or if it's getting loose under braking, move the bias foward. The strange thing is some cars even with ABS on are quite unstable under braking. Maybe SC would sort that out, but haven't tried it.

Y22 Rydr
04-10-2017, 14:13
If you are spinning try moving the brake bias forward or there is a setting (can't remember the name) that adds some throttle while braking to help keep the car stable. If using manual with clutch make sure you are not downshifting too early and causing the rear to lock.

Alipjc2
04-10-2017, 14:14
What's SC ?

Y22 Rydr
04-10-2017, 14:17
What's SC ?

Stability Control

AbeWoz
04-10-2017, 14:56
also try increasing the 'coast' locking of the rear differential.

MisterBronze
04-10-2017, 15:37
So is the Brake sensitivity the equivalent of the Assetto Corsa Brake Gamma curve? Where the brakes can be set to be applied more as the pedal goes down (as opposed to 1:1). I haven't touched it yet in PC2 as I wasn't sure? Cheers

Mahjik
04-10-2017, 15:49
So is the Brake sensitivity the equivalent of the Assetto Corsa Brake Gamma curve? Where the brakes can be set to be applied more as the pedal goes down (as opposed to 1:1). I haven't touched it yet in PC2 as I wasn't sure? Cheers

Yes. Lower than 50 makes it less sensitive when starting and higher than 50 makes it more sensitive when starting. So think of 50 being a straight line and <50 makes the first part of the line curve down, >50 makes the first part of the line curve up.

MisterBronze
04-10-2017, 15:53
Yes. Lower than 50 makes it less sensitive when starting and higher than 50 makes it more sensitive when starting. So think of 50 being a straight line and <50 makes the first part of the line curve down, >50 makes the first part of the line curve up.

Thanks. perfectly explained. I know what I'll be fiddling with tonight :)

Shogun613
04-10-2017, 15:59
That makes sense as to why 50 seems too strong. So basically somewhere between 35 and 50 is optimal for pedals that don't simulate the progressive increase in pressure the way it would be in real life, as the line curve kind of simulates it according to the value set?

Fanapryde
04-10-2017, 16:12
On almost every car I move the BB a few percents more to the rear.
Brake power between 90-100.
I use Heusinkveld Pro pedals, set to 45kg.

Mahjik
04-10-2017, 16:19
That makes sense as to why 50 seems too strong. So basically somewhere between 35 and 50 is optimal for pedals that don't simulate the progressive increase in pressure the way it would be in real life, as the line curve kind of simulates it according to the value set?

I do think it's still going to be a personal preference, but in general I agree with that. ;)

Shogun613
04-10-2017, 16:26
^Yeah, I'm at 40 right now with my G29 pedals and I'm pretty close to finding what feels right with those.

Roger Prynne
04-10-2017, 18:33
I mostly use 35 - 40 on my G25.

drizzit
04-10-2017, 19:50

Great explanation, thank you very much for that one!

winet
04-10-2017, 20:14
I am running HE Pros and I turn the brake pressure to between 84-88 on the setup page and that does the trick for me. Main settings at default. No aids

Tbolt
04-10-2017, 20:15
I mostly use 35 - 40 on my G25.

Standard brake spring or a heavier one? At 50 there's a couple of cars, such as the Huracan, that were just too much work with my GTEYE brake spring as they don't seem to have enough brake pressure in the game. Maybe I just need to go to the gym ;)

3800racingfool
04-10-2017, 20:19

Just a quick question here, but does the throttle sensitivity work the same way? Braking is just fine for me currently but the one thing that drives me nuts is that the G27 throttle spring is so light that I'm pushing the pedal way more than I should be (ie: I intend to apply a light throttle but I actually apply a mid throttle) so if it works the same, perhaps I can play with this and dial it in better until I can mod the pedals the way I want.

Fanapryde
04-10-2017, 20:55
On almost every car I move the BB a few percents more to the rear.
Brake power between 90-100.
I use Heusinkveld Pro pedals, set to 45kg.

Reading the answers I'm a bit confused.
I thought it was about brake presssure, but as it seems it's about senstivity...right ?
In that case: I'm still on 50, have not touched the setting.

Roger Prynne
04-10-2017, 21:13
Standard brake spring or a heavier one? At 50 there's a couple of cars, such as the Huracan, that were just too much work with my GTEYE brake spring as they don't seem to have enough brake pressure in the game. Maybe I just need to go to the gym ;)

See my sig.

Roger Prynne
04-10-2017, 21:15
Just a quick question here, but does the throttle sensitivity work the same way? Braking is just fine for me currently but the one thing that drives me nuts is that the G27 throttle spring is so light that I'm pushing the pedal way more than I should be (ie: I intend to apply a light throttle but I actually apply a mid throttle) so if it works the same, perhaps I can play with this and dial it in better until I can mod the pedals the way I want.

Yes it does, I use 40 personally as it stops me applying too much throttle from standing and getting wheel spins.

Mahjik
04-10-2017, 21:15

Yes it does, so you can use the same type of adjustment for it (and the clutch pedal as well).

When I was using the G25, I used the Nixim springs all around which did give all of the pedals a better feeling. Might be an option if you have some available money (but not enough for Fanatec pedals).

3800racingfool
04-10-2017, 22:57
Awesome. Thanks guys, I'll play around with those settings and see how they work out.

As for pedals. For now I'm thinking of just doing a brake spring mod, then moving the brake spring to the clutch and the clutch spring to the throttle. Should be fairly inexpensive, I'm just waiting for my warranty to run out on the thing before I crack it open.

phl0w
04-01-2018, 12:56
Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I didn't want to open a new one.
I use a G27, and at 50 sensitivity I find that I have to press the break pedal (unmodded) way too much down for hard breaking. Not only is it close to impossible to heel-toe then but it's also very tiring.
I am experimenting with values between 75 and 100 right now which makes heel-toeing easier, and allows to tap the brake with the left foot more efficiently in corners where I don't shift.
Anyone else with a G27 who can share their experience with the pedals' sensitivities?

Zaskarspants
04-01-2018, 13:10
Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I didn't want to open a new one.
I use a G27, and at 50 sensitivity I find that I have to press the break pedal (unmodded) way too much down for hard breaking. Not only is it close to impossible to heel-toe then but it's also very tiring.
I am experimenting with values between 75 and 100 right now which makes heel-toeing easier, and allows to tap the brake with the left foot more efficiently in corners where I don't shift.
Anyone else with a G27 who can share their experience with the pedals' sensitivities?

Set it to how it feels right for you, keeping an eye on the hud pedal meters to ensure you are getting 100%.

My brake sensitivity is 1 with original logitech rubber bung. I like a very hard stamp for full brakes, and I have actually managed to crack the plastic under my braking heel. I think it comes from owning too many crappy cars with rubbish brakes.

Shogun613
03-02-2018, 11:18
Set it to how it feels right for you, keeping an eye on the hud pedal meters to ensure you are getting 100%.

My brake sensitivity is 1 with original logitech rubber bung. I like a very hard stamp for full brakes, and I have actually managed to crack the plastic under my braking heel.

I've actually been using sensitivity 1 for a few hours, and you can really get on the brakes and then bleed off without locking them up. Even with the sensitivity at 35, they lock up pretty quick. Utilizing the full pressure of the rubber with 1 sensitivity is a lot better than trying to remember where in the pedal travel lock up occurs...

Zaskarspants
03-02-2018, 13:07
I run a more middling thirty now for brake sensitivity after recalibrating my pedals and brain after a strip down to remove the cat fur.

Trail breaking is my new challenge and that works better with a pedal that is more sensitive on initial application for me.

pferreirag60
04-02-2018, 13:02
I have to say that i donīt feel any kind of instability when braking hard with almost any car. Of course depending of the type of car you have to drive relatively differently, but in my opinion the cars are very stable, and i always use the loose setup of any car, maybe one or two cars i drive with stable to be faster. I think that if you are loosing the rear of the car when braking hard, you are braking to late or braking to hard in the middle of a curve.
If you use 50% at braking it will mimic the travel of your pedal, so i have mine set at 50%

Note: donīt use SC(stability control) because it will transform the cars reaction on the limit, you should let the car slide a bit, and with SC on, it is almost impossible or strange reactions occur, comprehensible as SC is trying to give less or more power for each traction wheel. Example: the road version of the nissan GTR with SC active(by default) with real assist on is a total different car when you drive with SC off(much better) you could do power slides total controllable.

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 09:36
I'm really struggling with braking in GT3 cars, the cars just seem to be shuddering like crazy, GT3 cars with ABS shouldn't be so unstable, I can brake fine in AC etc so I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Maybe need to lower the brake pressure? or never push down 100% on the pedal.

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 11:57
I'm really struggling with braking in GT3 cars, the cars just seem to be shuddering like crazy, GT3 cars with ABS shouldn't be so unstable, I can brake fine in AC etc so I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Maybe need to lower the brake pressure? or never push down 100% on the pedal.

all cars? all tracks? what are your bias,pressure,and ABS settings?

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 14:08
all cars? all tracks? what are your bias,pressure,and ABS settings?

I only seem to have trouble using GT3 cars, rest of the cars are fine.
Seems to be worst at hard braking zones like turn 1 at Fuji, Pressure at default, ABS set to high with it at 80% in ICM, Bias is around 60ish to the front.

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 14:10
I only seem to have trouble using GT3 cars, rest of the cars are fine.
Seems to be worst at hard braking zones like turn 1 at Fuji, Pressure at default, ABS set to high with it at 80% in ICM, Bias is around 60ish to the front.

what about tire pressures? I've driven Fuji a lot the past few days and have not had these issues in Bentley, AMG, Audi, nor M6.

If you can post a quick video that may also help.

rich1e I
27-02-2018, 14:39
Increasing engine braking to 4 or 5 might also help with stability under braking but no idea where shuddering would come from :confused:

xtro
27-02-2018, 14:50
try Putting deadzone to 1 on all pedals and re calibrate... 0 deadzone messes up the input at least with the t3pa

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 16:01
https://youtu.be/v_VeMSZYMU0

http://prntscr.com/ikhmqy

http://prntscr.com/ikhn5a

Soon as I touch the brake the car starts shaking.

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 16:16

that's your ABS kicking in, you can see the ABS symbol lighting up on the speedo app.

Try adjusting the ABS setting to engage later (allow more locking). My ABS is set to default i think and it almost never kicks on.

rich1e I
27-02-2018, 16:51

Sounds like you're driving the Nissan. I don't like the Nissan because I found it very unstable under braking too. That oil temp though.

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 17:19
Sounds like you're driving the Nissan. I don't like the Nissan because I found it very unstable under braking too. That oil temp though.

Yeah I am driving the Nissan, setting engine braking to 5 really did help the stabilty, I assumed the shuddering was the locking up? but its actually the ABS, so if I turned the ABS off for example, it should not shudder but lock up instead.
Will give it a quick test.

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 17:25
Yeah I am driving the Nissan, setting engine braking to 5 really did help the stabilty, I assumed the shuddering was the locking up? but its actually the ABS, so if I turned the ABS off for example, it should not shudder but lock up instead.
Will give it a quick test.

correct. you can keep ABS on, just increase the amount of lock-up it allows before kicking on

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 17:37
correct. you can keep ABS on, just increase the amount of lock-up it allows before kicking on

Ok thanks this solved it, I set ABS to off and it didnt shudder at all, just locked up, turned ABS back on at low and reduced the amount it kicks in and its perfect now :) Also reduce engine braking greatly helps the GTR! Thank you for your help! :D

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 17:41
Ok thanks this solved it, I set ABS to off and it didnt shudder at all, just locked up, turned ABS back on at low and reduced the amount it kicks in and its perfect now :) Also reduce engine braking greatly helps the GTR! Thank you for your help! :D

of course buddy, thats what (most of us) are here for.

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 17:53
of course buddy, thats what (most of us) are here for.

What sort of ABS strength would you recommend? I set it to 50% and seems ok, only seems to kick in right at the last moment which is good.

AbeWoz
27-02-2018, 17:55
i keep mine at default which is like 75% for most GT3's i think.

iggy
27-02-2018, 19:06
Sensitivity of the pedal , virtual brake pressure in the car, front/rear brake bias in the car, and pedal calibration all play a role.

Personally I like initial pedal to cause the car's brakes to be applied a little less , so I'd tend to use sensitivity of less than 50... My G29 pedals have a spring, and then a little rubber stop... I will usually calibrate my brake pedal so that I only have to push against the little rubber stop, about 3/4 of it's full compression... That is, when I calibrate the brake, I first press only against the spring, until I feel the rubber bump stop... then I'll push a little harder, to about the point where I'm not quite fully pressing all the way to solid stop on the pedal...

In the setup of each car, I adjust the brake pressure so that when running close to full speed and then press down on my pedal to the point where I feel the bump stop, my tires are locking up very very slightly... and then I'll back off the pressure by a couple percent.

I believe this give me better 'feel' for the brake pedal/braking. 90% of the time I never press the brake pedal beyond the point where I feel the bump stop... often I'm braking even less than that... but if need be, I can stomp on the brake, against and even past the point where I feel the bump stop... To me, this gives me the most natural feeling I can get with my current pedals.

Echo_29
27-02-2018, 19:29
Sensitivity of the pedal , virtual brake pressure in the car, front/rear brake bias in the car, and pedal calibration all play a role.

Personally I like initial pedal to cause the car's brakes to be applied a little less , so I'd tend to use sensitivity of less than 50... My G29 pedals have a spring, and then a little rubber stop... I will usually calibrate my brake pedal so that I only have to push against the little rubber stop, about 3/4 of it's full compression... That is, when I calibrate the brake, I first press only against the spring, until I feel the rubber bump stop... then I'll push a little harder, to about the point where I'm not quite fully pressing all the way to solid stop on the pedal...

In the setup of each car, I adjust the brake pressure so that when running close to full speed and then press down on my pedal to the point where I feel the bump stop, my tires are locking up very very slightly... and then I'll back off the pressure by a couple percent.

I believe this give me better 'feel' for the brake pedal/braking. 90% of the time I never press the brake pedal beyond the point where I feel the bump stop... often I'm braking even less than that... but if need be, I can stomp on the brake, against and even past the point where I feel the bump stop... To me, this gives me the most natural feeling I can get with my current pedals.

Yeah I only wanted to know what the shuddering is, turns out its the ABS working, I thought it was locking up and I been increasing the ABS trying to stop it, but made it worse, turned ABS right down to 50% in the end, so it only stops lock ups at the very last moment which is what I wanted. Some cars are easier on the brakes, I was testing it on the Nissan GTR which is quite unstable under braking but made it feel a lot better.