PDA

View Full Version : Sense of speed/distance in VR is wrong on Oculus Rift

MadMax1998
24-09-2017, 16:20
UPDATE EDIT: Thanks for all the responses. This seems to be a matter of personal experience and how everyone's eyes may be a bit different, at least that would explain why some people responded with "no issues here" and others agreed with me. I've now tested the game again in 2D on my screen and compared directly with Assetto Corsa again, simply for the fact that this sim seemed very accurate to me in VR when it comes to FOV/speed/periphery. I wanted to find out if 2D exposes the same effect I'm seeing in VR in PC2.

In 2D I had to tweak FOV and seat position, so errors are possible because the numbers aren't the same in both sims, but I've tried going by feel and using the cockpit and track objects as a reference point. I'm also referring to my experience racing on flatscreens in iRacing, RaceRoom and PCars1 through the years, where I used the same FOV of 60-65 every time. For this test I tried dialing in both PC2 as well as AC to a similar FOV; AC reports 35 (probably vertical) while PC2 seems to be equal at 57. I put the car at the starting line at Monza and adjusted the seat in both sims to get the steering wheel aligned. Here are the shots:

241422 241423

Left is AC, right is PC2. It's not hard to see they aren't the same at all. There seems to be a point in the vertical middle of the images where the lines of the track are at the same point, but go further up the image (into the distance) and it seems like AC is "stretching out" more while PC2 keeps even distant objects like the race control tower "close" to us. This is what I think produces the feeling of "slowness" when you drive; the FOV might be equal but the scale of things in the distance and coming toward you is not right. As a matter of fact, there are two bridges on the back straight right before Parabolica and when I pass under these bridges, they look *towering* above me, as if they were 100m tall. This is in 2D, not VR, so VR world scale is not the issue here.
Also notice how the lower end of both images is not equal either; PC2 distorts the sidelines of the track far more than AC does. It looks like we are sitting lower in the car while in fact we aren't.

I know I'm doing all of this by feel and it's not particulary scientific, so I took another car (Toyota 86) to the same spot on the track, to see if the camera might be different in this car. Apart from the higher seating position I didn't see a difference:

241423 241424

I think this really must have to do with the virtual camera's focal length. When things seem bigger than they really are at a distance, naturally you seem to be moving slower towards them. If it's really a camera issue, the fix might be a simple edit (with the right number) to the game's camera files.

Original post:

Hey guys, I gave PCars2 a go last night and I'm getting the same performance problems mentioned here in several VR threads, but I want to explain another thing I found that bugs me even more: the sense of speed (things on the track "coming toward you" while you drive) seems to be off somehow in VR. I compared directly with Assetto Corsa, driving a very similar open-wheel car and using the same track (Monza) in similar conditions. The scale of the car and cockpit seems equal in both games, world scale in PCars2 is set to 1.00. I tried increasing it but it looked wrong.

It's hard to explain and impossible to show the problem, but take my word for it - when I'm driving 250 kph but it feels like 80, something is not right with the virtual camera. FOV seems right as in VR a wrong FOV would instantly be visible (and uncomfortable). The game drives normally too, but unless I look to the sides I cannot figure out how fast I'm really going, let alone judge braking distance properly. I've driven several other sims on my Rift and none of them had this issue. The only thing I can think of is the virtual camera's "focal length", as in when you change that on a real camera, far-away objects become bigger and seem closer than they are. Seems like that's what's going on in VR.

I can't comment on flatscreen gameplay as I haven't tried it yet but from YouTube videos I'd say the problem is VR-exclusive.

Javaniceday
29-09-2017, 17:35
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that once I get in cars that drive that fast, haha. I'm still getting used to VR, little by little, driving the Ginetta JR.

I tried one of the fast cars for kicks, and I did notice the immediate sense of speed, for me. It was almost scary going that fast down that road. It was a real rush.

MadMax1998
29-09-2017, 17:43
I can see how being new to VR and getting into a speedy car for the first time might make you go "wow how fast", but coming from other sims where I drove GP2 cars and the like, I'm kind of used to it in VR by now, hence why I noticed the effect of "slowness" in PC2. I hope other people can weigh in on this.

rosko
29-09-2017, 17:49
no issues here. I always found vr way more realistic in regards to speed pcars feels similar to ac in this respect.

crowhop
29-09-2017, 17:55
The Sense of Speed seems to be car dependent for me. If I drive the old Nissan Fairlady, for instance, no matter how fast the game says I am going, it seems like it is 25 mph. Makes timing the braking zones very difficult. In other cars it isn't so bad. Things feel faster in some cars than others. The Ginetta GT4 seems very fast all the time...it is a thrilling car to drive. The BMW M6 GTE seems painfully slow...I hate driving it.

I experienced this exact thing in Assetto Corsa, but with every car/track combo. It made every car seem like it had a massive understeer problem as I was plowing every corner. It is a game breaker for me in Assetto Corsa.

whip
29-09-2017, 18:45
no issues here

Balles
29-09-2017, 19:22
When in game, press escape and go in VR options where you can tweak the seat and the FOV. Try to adjust the scale that suits you the best.

crowhop
29-09-2017, 19:47
When in game, press escape and go in VR options where you can tweak the seat and the FOV. Try to adjust the scale that suits you the best.
Changing the FOV has no effect on VR. The only thing it would do is add the helmet, if you have Show Helmet set to ON, once you get the FOV lower than 89. There's no discernible difference between FOV at 40 or 120 in VR. For me, at least.

Does anyone run with Motion Blur ON? If so, does that improve the Sense of Speed?

PhydomiR
29-09-2017, 19:54
I do not share this view. My main sim is iRacing and when i stepped into pCARS i felt right ar home. Sense of speed feels the same and i don't fell like anything is off when sitting in the car.

Balles
29-09-2017, 20:06
Changing the FOV has no effect on VR. The only thing it would do is add the helmet, if you have Show Helmet set to ON, once you get the FOV lower than 89. There's no discernible difference between FOV at 40 or 120 in VR. For me, at least.

Does anyone run with Motion Blur ON? If so, does that improve the Sense of Speed?

I meant the world scale in the Virtual Reality options, not fov sorry. Wich is 1.00 by default. You can tweak it from 0.5 to 1.5 I think.

McErono
29-09-2017, 20:21
I agree with OT. Sense of speed is wrong, way to low in VR. Lots of people are complaining about it.

Its not the same in iRacing at all - iRacing seems much faster in the same car and so is Assetto Corsa.

crowhop
29-09-2017, 20:23
I meant the world scale in the Virtual Reality options, not fov sorry. Wich is 1.00 by default. You can tweak it from 0.5 to 1.5 I think.
This is one setting I've not tinkered with much. I've set it if only so the hands of the virtual driver match the size/scale/location of mine. If I venture too far from 1.0 either direction, things get out of proportion. I'm curious to know what this actually does besides that.

Tony Rickard
29-09-2017, 20:23
Never noticed any difference in sense of speed compared with iRacing, AC or rF2 in VR

McErono
30-09-2017, 07:34
It is odd. I mean it is soooo slow how could anyone not notice? Is it a bug, hardware related, not affecting everyone?

Balles
30-09-2017, 07:39
Framerate problem maybe ?

John Hargreaves
30-09-2017, 07:50
Not sure about other games, but I did an M4/single seater driving course at Oulton Park a while back, and when I got home the first thing I did was slap on the rift and reproduce that in game with the M3 GT4, 1M and the Frookie. It was uncannily accurate in every way apart from actual G-Forces.
Has anyone stopped to think that iRacing/AC might not be quite as accurate as they think they are?

Codeten68
30-09-2017, 07:50
Instead of increasing the world scale....decrease it...start at around .95...I think I have mine at .97

Boskapongen
30-09-2017, 08:18
Compare with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiU8KeztTOI

snakehands
30-09-2017, 09:48
No problem with sense of speed in my rift.

Tony Rickard
30-09-2017, 09:50
Compare with this...What should I be seeing other than a camera image that is bouncing around with little stabilisation compared with our eyes?

Boskapongen
30-09-2017, 09:56
I dont have problems with parts of that video to see the sense of speed and IMO its pretty accurate in Racing games with VR..(that was my point with the vid). The downside with VR today is limited FOV so u dont see side of the road so good passing by, which would gives us more sense of speed.

John Hargreaves
30-09-2017, 11:47
I find the rift fov broadly in line with what you might see wearing a full face helmet, so yes you do miss that peripheral view you get with a gopro or driving without a helmet. It's easy to imagine that you have a helmet on though, so feels about right to me.

MrTulip
30-09-2017, 13:15
I don't feel any difference in speed sensation between PCARS, PCARS2, iRacing, AC or rFactor either.

I always raise the seat quite considerably in PCARS2 (and in any sim if it is possible). This helps to see more of the road and closer too. You actually have better sense of speed sitting high compared to sitting in "a pit" of a GT car and just seeing the sky and the trees in the horizon.

Opposite works with openwheelers if you see lots of tarmac whizzing by from the sides by default.

And lastly, pay attention to head/camera movement settings; if you set the movement so that your view floats freely too much compared to the movement of the car, it also redacts from the feeling of the action itself. I keep head shaking on and movement and forces both at 75.

MadMax1998
30-09-2017, 14:30
Updated OP post with screenshots and more details.

MrTulip
30-09-2017, 15:05
Updated OP post with screenshots and more details.

I do get what you are meaning and there is solid thinking there. This is something I've been thinking in the past (before VR times) that it would be a good idea to scale object vertically on the fly when they get closer to player. This would have overcome the problem with flat screens when one uses realistic horizontal FOV and loses most of the speed sensation in result. Not sure if the idea has ever been used in any racing game.

So yes, it could be that object vertical dimensions especially might affect the sensation of speed. It would be nice to know vertical FOV settings of both games. Or even the heights of specific buildings, posts and trees generally on both games.

In the end it may also be so that as individuals our brains cope this stuff differently too. Our eyes and eye distances are different from each other anyway, and brains have to do a lot of tricks especially when it comes how we perceive distances and object sizes.

Edit: We get realistic FOV for both horizonal and vertical planes only from the visor. Your attempt to explain the difference with images from both games is good, but I think for studying this further we'd need renditions of both games directly from the HMD without any kind of tidying both games can do for mirrored images. Preferably for both eyes. One would be ok for dimensions comparison, though.

Also one more thing that might have some effect would be the the use of default artificial black area around Oculus vision. I remember that Richard Burns Rally modder Kegetys removed this in his VR implementation to make the DK2 FOV bigger. I'm not sure if CV1 has this black area too, but with DK2 it was up to developer to use it or not to use it.

MadMax1998
12-11-2017, 17:16
I've just tested this again after being on the road for six hours (on the freeway) two days ago, then six hours back home yesterday. I was not driving but I was sitting in the passenger seat and paid close attention to the speeds we were going and what I was seeing and how "speedy" it felt. Most of the time we were going 160 kph (yes, this is legal in Germany on some stretches of road on the freeway) with occasional drops down to 100 and rarely going up to 200. What I observed was:

- the wider the road, the slower everything seems (try going 100 kph in the city, it will probably seem massively fast compared to the freeway)
- I had good sense of distance no matter what speed we were going at
- coming down to 100 kph from 160 or 200 feels slower than it really is
- leaning back in the seat to get a lower view makes things seem slower too

So today I took two road cars, one in Project CARS 2 and one in Assetto Corsa, both to Monza and Brands Hatch to compare. I was driving at consistent speeds simulating what I'd experienced in real life. Later on I took the KTM X-Bow in both games to Brands Hatch and compared again. Since this is an open cockpit car and also extremely similar looking in both sims, I thought this might tell me why I find PC2 "slower" feeling than AC.

My observation in a few sentences is this:

In AC, I can tell distance better than in PC2. When I "exit" the car (standing up) at the end of the homestretch at Monza and look back to the starting grid, it feels like it's 300 meters away, just like in real life on the freeway. In PC2 everything up close seems good to judge distance on, but things farther away just become "one" like on a flat screen. It feels like my sense of depth vanishes at a certain threshold. Add to that the lower clarity of PC2 in the distance compared to AC (which has better lens filtering and less pixelation) and it makes it hard for me to estimate how far away that bridge in the distance is. In AC I can easily tell.

I think THAT is the crux of the problem; because if things don't feel like they are far away, how can you see them come closer? They just get bigger, not closer. Until a certain threshold is reached, then they become "3D" and start getting closer to me.

When I bring the X-Bow down the straight from the hill after turn 4 at Brands Hatch, where there's a bridge coming to me and then the road drops dramatically, I can really feel that sense of speed and of dropping into a valley -- when I play Assetto Corsa. In PC2, that same scene feels "slow"; I mean not really slow, just like the bridge or the valley aren't coming toward me at the proper speed *just* before they get within reach of the car. *Then* it starts feeling speedy.

Now I do agree with the guy who said that some cars seem worse than others. When I took an old Ferrari to Silverstone the other day, it felt very fast, but that was probably because the seat position is far forward, the hood is short and not in the way of the road, and the car is a handful to handle and trips out on the rear easily which makes it feel "powerful" and therefore "faster". I'm not sure that the virtual camera we are looking through is actually different for each car. At least not in VR.

I really think SMS should look into this thing because something is not right with that camera in VR. It just doesn't feel right! Now that won't stop me from playing more PC2 as I find the game extremely immersive otherwise and a ton of fun! If they can get the sense of depth sorted out, this will be the ultimate VR racer for me.

snakehands
12-11-2017, 17:40
Any lack of sense of speed is down mainly to the reduced FOV, IMO. That and the complete absence of other sensory inputs that you get in real life. On the 3D effect, that only works out to about a few meters in real life with the brain gauging distance based on experience beyond that.

SunnySunday
12-11-2017, 17:41
I think you have pinpointed the issue quite well. I've also noticed it. It was the same thing in Pcars 1 i found. If you haven't played a lot of other sims you probably don't notice it. But going from other titles which has "cleaner" graphics, in terms of less aliasing and blurriness, the difference is quite noticeable. It is by no means a game breaker and i still find VR in pcars2 very very enjoyable but there is some sort of depth of field issue for sure.

snakehands
12-11-2017, 18:10
I think you have pinpointed the issue quite well. I've also noticed it. It was the same thing in Pcars 1 i found. If you haven't played a lot of other sims you probably don't notice it. But going from other titles which has "cleaner" graphics, in terms of less aliasing and blurriness, the difference is quite noticeable. It is by no means a game breaker and i still find VR in pcars2 very very enjoyable but there is some sort of depth of field issue for sure.

Have you tried adjusting the world scale up and down?

SunnySunday
12-11-2017, 18:16
Have you tried adjusting the world scale up and down?

Yes but you can't really adjust that all too much. You want the cockpit you feel natural and that's it. I have it set to 1.07 which I find looks quite natural.

morpwr
12-11-2017, 19:31
I find the rift fov broadly in line with what you might see wearing a full face helmet, so yes you do miss that peripheral view you get with a gopro or driving without a helmet. It's easy to imagine that you have a helmet on though, so feels about right to me.

I even have the helmet on in game. You don't realize how much the helmet and seat sides limit your view in some cars.

Johngrim
13-11-2017, 00:32
The helmet kills framrate for me but its spooky how it feels like a real helmet on your head when I'm in the Rift.

Phos
13-11-2017, 02:24
Does the Rift have adjustments for interocular distance or brow depth?

Reiche
13-11-2017, 02:37
The helmet kills framrate for me but its spooky how it feels like a real helmet on your head when I'm in the Rift.

Plus the dampened sound. To me this feels exactly like the real thing. Is there a way to get the dampened sounds without visor visible?

(Moreover I got the Oculus Earphones for even more immersion. It's less comfortable than the on ear speakers, but they add a fair amount of feeling like in a real race car)

BTW: lens distance yes, brow depth no (I guess it's the distance lens to eye; VRCover offers a thin pad version which brings the lenses closer to the eyes)

Phos
13-11-2017, 20:47
Plus the dampened sound. To me this feels exactly like the real thing. Is there a way to get the dampened sounds without visor visible?

(Moreover I got the Oculus Earphones for even more immersion. It's less comfortable than the on ear speakers, but they add a fair amount of feeling like in a real race car)

BTW: lens distance yes, brow depth no (I guess it's the distance lens to eye; VRCover offers a thin pad version which brings the lenses closer to the eyes)

Yes, that was what i meant with my lack of a better term awkward phrasing, I figure that moving the lenses further away from you would change how much of your actual FoV is filled without changing the FoV the game is giving you.

bporion
18-04-2018, 20:30
so has anyone discovered a magic setting in VR to make the sense of speed better ? to me its still better in AC and Raceroom .

John Hargreaves
18-04-2018, 21:02
I haven't even got VR working in RaceRoom yet, what's the secret? I did a bit of googling but it looked like a faff so I gave up.

rosko
18-04-2018, 21:30
I haven't even got VR working in RaceRoom yet, what's the secret? I did a bit of googling but it looked like a faff so I gave up.

Its really simple from what i remember, it works really well apart from the ugly car interiors.

rosko
18-04-2018, 21:34
so has anyone discovered a magic setting in VR to make the sense of speed better ? to me its still better in AC and Raceroom .

Are you sure its not the ffb that makes it feel faster? I always felt that in AC you felt the car speed but more through the ffb especially on the breaks, I feel you sense this more in vr.

bporion
18-04-2018, 22:02
Are you sure its not the ffb that makes it feel faster? I always felt that in AC you felt the car speed but more through the ffb especially on the breaks, I feel you sense this more in vr.

the ffb in AC is lots better ( for me ) then in Pcars 2 but I'm not sure that's it . maybe it just all the jaggies in Pcars that take your eyes off the road sometimes its all I see especially after playing AC or Raceroom .

bporion
18-04-2018, 22:08

just go to steam and raceroom launch option and write " -vr1.0 " or " -vr1.5 " or " - vr2.0 " depending on the framerates that you get , start whit " -vr1.0 " whitout the "

pferreirag60
19-04-2018, 15:27
I have all the racing sim games, because of that i really cannot understand how anyone after driving in pcars2 can go again to AC or raceroom..( Ive spend more than 150 euros in RR - I was very dissapointed with pcars1).

I just use raceroom to compare sounds between cars.

bporin: If you feel that AC have better FFB, or as you said much better ffb, you surely have the PCar2 FFB with the wrong setting for your wheel. In my opinion the physics engine of the game is just miles away better than any other sim, maybe rfactor2 is close, but overall pcars2 is much better.

Haiden
19-04-2018, 15:36
I have all the racing sim games, because of that i really cannot understand how anyone after driving in pcars2 can go again to AC or raceroom..( Ive spend more than 150 euros in RR - I was very dissapointed with pcars1).

bporin: If you feel that AC have better FFB, or as you said much better ffb, you surely have the PCar2 FFB with the wrong setting for your wheel. In my opinion the physics engine of the game is just miles away better than any other sim, maybe rfactor2 is close, but overall pcars2 is much better.

I don't think he does. I feel the exact same way. And it's not my settings. I've done a lot of tuning, and I've also tried settings from people that claim to have "great FFB". It's just not the same as what I feel in AC.

That being said, I'm not saying PCars2 FFB is bad. I did get it to a point that I find acceptable, and it's better than PCars1. I can understand what some people like about it, but I think it's subjective, and, for some, it just doesn't offer the level of nuance and fidelity they want when it comes to slip feel. And I find the physics in PCars2 more forgiving than other sims, to the point that the racing just leaves me feeling a little bland overall. And, that's another thing. I'm speaking overall, not feature specific. Overall, for me, I see PCars2 as neck and neck with RE3, in terms of overall enjoyment. There are things PC2 does better, but then when you balance pro and cons, they end up in the same place. Racing experience, I prefer R3E. PC2's AI has improved, but it's not at the same level as others. Multiplayer, I would pic PC2 over R3E, but I prefer AC multiplayer to PC2's.

In the end, the measurements factors are all just to subjective to think everyone will come away with the same opinion. But I do fall into BPorion's camp.

Haiden
19-04-2018, 15:39

Is that the sim that needed the launch code? I can't remember. It's been a while since I set it. But one need a "-vr" in the launch parameters.

John Hargreaves
19-04-2018, 15:47
Ah, launch parameters, that must be it. I was foolishly searching through all the options pages in the game. Nice one thanks chaps, I'll get it going as soon as I get home.

Pigmachine
19-04-2018, 16:25
After spending 2 years of my life on this game.. I'm actually a bit ashamed to ask this. What's the 'correct' Launch Parameter/Shortcut to get Pcars2 running in Rift VR?

I still use the steam://launch/378860/OtherVr as a shortcut, that I used in some version the last year, and it works fine.. except that I cant do a shadowplay recording in the fullscreen, only if I window it?
I haven't tried launching it via the Steam VR as I don't want to mix in a lot of other programs, unless necessary?

rosko
19-04-2018, 17:47

ffb is too inconsistent for me in this game, in some cars i have it feeling like the most amazing ffb but in others its dire. plus i never get the feeling of weight in turns & on the brakes like i do in ac & imo ac does that really well i feel so static in pcars in comparison.

bporion
19-04-2018, 20:09

I did say " for me " I like the FFB in AC alote better . I have been playing Pcars and Pcars 2 since 2012 and for me the FFB has never been to my liking in both Pcars games , I am just tired of trying to get it right from car to car in AC and Raceroom ist jus great right from the start for me anyway ...

bporion
19-04-2018, 20:14
After spending 2 years of my life on this game.. I'm actually a bit ashamed to ask this. What's the 'correct' Launch Parameter/Shortcut to get Pcars2 running in Rift VR?

I still use the steam://launch/378860/OtherVr as a shortcut, that I used in some version the last year, and it works fine.. except that I cant do a shadowplay recording in the fullscreen, only if I window it?
I haven't tried launching it via the Steam VR as I don't want to mix in a lot of other programs, unless necessary?

just go to steam and double click on Pcars 2 from the game list it will give you 2 choices to play whit the rift or whit the steam vr , which is better , that is up tp you to experiment , I use the rift option myself .

Pigmachine
19-04-2018, 20:36
I tried that the last hour or so, but it still don't let me record fullscreen with shadowplay? So I guess it's the same function as a steam://launch/378860/OtherVr shortcut.. have to look into this shadowplay thingie, as it used to work as expected with recording from the monitor.

But now my hands have more blisters then Charon, on an extremely hot day at work, while rowing the entire Swedish government to.. where they belong!, one by one, on a tight schedule :p

(If Mr_Skeletor666 would've known what en epic battle I had with his ghost the last hour on Nordschleife (well 3/4's of the track at least, as I don't remember it fully, nor did I manage to finish the race, as i always skid out) he would at least given me a 'Nice Try!' grin.. or just the finger, as I don't know him as far as I know ;))

MaXyM
19-04-2018, 21:49
Shadowplay doesn't record VR anymore. I've heard that it has changed about half year ago.
I succeeded with OBS-studio configured to use nvec codec

cluck
19-04-2018, 22:12
if you want to get shadowplay recording the screen mirror, add "-windowed -borderless" to the 'Set Launch Options' for the game in Steam. Records perfectly that way :)

Pigmachine
19-04-2018, 22:19
Aha, Ok Thanks! Wonder they stopped it? as it actually were really good, as in the only reason to have Geforce (extremely unpleasant) Experience installed.

Well I still use it from time to time, as I've been outside of the VR, and outside racing a while now. (and seem to have some OCD to record bug repros wherever I find them)

Thanks Cluck! Looked like .. not good with normal normal -windowed option

MaXyM
20-04-2018, 00:12
if you want to get shadowplay recording the screen mirror, add "-windowed -borderless" to the 'Set Launch Options' for the game in Steam. Records perfectly that way :)

With Vive it doesn't work until you enable capturing a desktop. Which is... suboptimal ;)
In OBS you can capture selected window or window of particular process and so on.

cluck
20-04-2018, 11:59
Ah, OK, I wasn't aware that it didn't work with the Vive, I just know it works fine for the Rift :)

Madhun67
04-06-2018, 12:45
ok so same issue for me .Sense of speed is lacking.Basically i feel like in 5th gear and i can "catch" slides and the RWD cars become less of a challenge also.If i hop out of VR ,it seems im a lot slower with my times on the track ,and sense of speed is back.I dont know why this is ,and been doing a lot of brainstorming.As it feels 'slower" the cars actually do travel with less speed ,according to my brain.maybe that makes it easier to control ? i have no clue.Same thing in AC and RR for me.