PDA

View Full Version : Formula c spinning off throttle

Lucky_Stickman
24-09-2017, 17:57
Been trying to get a formula c car around Bruno and tried soooo many settings and can't seem to stop the back end from coming round when off throttle mid corner, it's got so annoying that I'm thinking of just skipping all the races to pick another class in career menu .
I found the first tier ginetta Jr's & some of the cars I've messed about with fun but the formula c car has made me fed up with my career .
Also ktm crossbow in the challenge was a pig with no feel

Please help asap

middle finger
24-09-2017, 18:00
Maybe lower brake mapping?

Lucky_Stickman
24-09-2017, 18:47
Maybe lower brake mapping?

No brake mapping only engine braking in ecu settings and didn't seem to help

GtAce36
24-09-2017, 20:29
The KTM challenge has major issues, as do most weather effected invitationals.
As for your original query, I’ve not raced the Formula C but tried lowering the tyre pressures??

Lucky_Stickman
24-09-2017, 21:13
The KTM challenge has major issues, as do most weather effected invitationals.
As for your original query, Iíve not raced the Formula C but tried lowering the tyre pressures??

Tried that didn't help

GtAce36
24-09-2017, 21:15
Back tyre pressure to 0 ...what does that do???

Dev Nibor
24-09-2017, 22:07
I have a similar issue with the Ginetta GT5. I'm struggling very hard to not oversteer mid and end corner while the AI seems to have glue on their tires and flying past me.

I don't understand, I was competing in the junior Ginetta series on 100% difficulty and could crush the AI without problems. In GT5, I'm 5 seconds behind every lap on Oulton Park.

Also, my tires don't seem to get warm enough no matter what I do. Can't get them above 55

Lucky_Stickman
25-09-2017, 12:11
Back tyre pressure to 0 ...what does that do???

Really , is setting up the cars glitches that bad

Lucky_Stickman
25-09-2017, 12:15
I have a similar issue with the Ginetta GT5. I'm struggling very hard to not oversteer mid and end corner while the AI seems to have glue on their tires and flying past me.

I don't understand, I was competing in the junior Ginetta series on 100% difficulty and could crush the AI without problems. In GT5, I'm 5 seconds behind every lap on Oulton Park.

Also, my tires don't seem to get warm enough no matter what I do. Can't get them above 55

I'm finding the gt5 ginetta ok compared to the formula c car.

I gave up trying and skipped all the races after trying on each track in case it was just a bug on that track , but it was the same

punkdog69
25-09-2017, 14:21
Try to use Rain Tires. In some cars the Tyre assignment seems to be wrong

Lucky_Stickman
25-09-2017, 15:19
Try to use Rain Tires. In some cars the Tyre assignment seems to be wrong

Really ????????

Lucky_Stickman
25-09-2017, 15:22
I'm finding the gt5 ginetta ok compared to the formula c car.

I gave up trying and skipped all the races after trying on each track in case it was just a bug on that track , but it was the same

Scrap that they were ok with control pad but now using wheel keep doing the same

Paulpg87
25-09-2017, 15:26

same here, it's clearly a bug/ or something wrong. Seems like that you have to compete with all weather tyres to get some heat but check if they are fitted cause also tuning is bugged. Basically in the career weather vs AI is bugged, tyre temperature is bugged, set-up do no save, hud disappear, if you skip qualifying you are last with unrealistic times for the AI. Right now is unplayable in ginetta gt5, formula rookie and clio cup.

Lucky_Stickman
25-09-2017, 15:45
same here, it's clearly a bug/ or something wrong. Seems like that you have to compete with all weather tyres to get some heat but check if they are fitted cause also tuning is bugged. Basically in the career weather vs AI is bugged, tyre temperature is bugged, set-up do no save, hud disappear, if you skip qualifying you are last with unrealistic times for the AI. Right now is unplayable in ginetta gt5, formula rookie and clio cup.

It's so annoying, has the chance to be a great game but has so many problems it's not fun to play .
I've noticed that the same car with the same settings does completely different things when you use a wheel as to when you use the pad ( what the hell)
With assetto Corsa you spin you know why this you do the same thing in the same place and all hell breaks loose

Sankyo
25-09-2017, 15:55
Formula C slick tyres not heating up is a known problem and soon fixed in a patch.

Dev Nibor
25-09-2017, 15:56
And what about the Ginetta GT5?

ginger86
25-09-2017, 16:06
I have found the same with Clio cup car and ginette gt5. The clio is undrivable!!

Sankyo
25-09-2017, 16:16
And what about the Ginetta GT5?

I've driven it today myself. It's oversteery, but not impossible to drive IMO.

Timmyboy83
25-09-2017, 16:58
I've been struggling a lot with this car too, and i can't seem to fix the problem......
Tried a lot of setting changes, and the only thing that seems to work is to tune the clutch LSD.....
Struggling with those tyre temps too..... This really is no fun to drive @ this point......
Really hope this patch is coming very very soon......

twotonetommy
25-09-2017, 18:10
Yes, I changed one of the LSD settings which significantly helped with this problem. I just can't remember which one.

Timmyboy83
25-09-2017, 20:06
Yes, I changed one of the LSD settings which significantly helped with this problem. I just can't remember which one.

I changed the first parameter to 90 Nm and the COAST ANGLE to 20%.
When you switch OFF the Clutch LSD, the car isn't driveable anymore. It's starting to wiggle then, even on the straights.
So maybe a little more tweaking with these LSD settings could help us out here.....

Somebody tried the rain tires allready?......

Timmyboy83
25-09-2017, 20:50
I changed the first parameter to 90 Nm and the COAST ANGLE to 20%.
When you switch OFF the Clutch LSD, the car isn't driveable anymore. It's starting to wiggle then, even on the straights.
So maybe a little more tweaking with these LSD settings could help us out here.....

Somebody tried the rain tires allready?......

I just tried out the rain tyre, and guess what........ they have a superb grip.......
No more oversteering when coasting in a corner........

@SMS -- This tire bug is so wrong, the game shouldn't be out on the market with such a bug, for at least you gotta have driveable cars in the game for this price.

sigurd
26-09-2017, 00:58
Now I have to wonder if this is what's going on with some of the other cars people seem to be having problems with...

Timmyboy83
26-09-2017, 07:40
When the track is at a normal temperature the car is behaving superb on the wet tires.......
When i do the championship and its misty, and the track is eventually colder, it's having problems in the corners with understeer......
The oversteering is allmost completely gone with those wet tires.....
Tried different setups, but i can't get the understeer get away on those colder tracks.....
I will keep this updated..... :-)

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 07:46
@SMS -- This tire bug is so wrong, the game shouldn't be out on the market with such a bug, for at least you gotta have driveable cars in the game for this price.
It's one car out of 180+ in the game, and one tyre type that got bugged. Even if SMS were to know this before launch, would you think they'd stop the complete release plan for it? The issue is known and will be patched soon, I don't think it's so dramatic as you make it sound :)

drathuu
26-09-2017, 09:52
Not sure on the setup - if rear loose under braking move brake bias forward.. if under acceleration, improving rear toe (Increasing can stabilise the rear end). You can also dampen rear rebound to control energy return... (If you dont want to do it manually), try using the engineer to explain your problem and have him tune the car.

And yes i found the FC challenging off throttle, the chassis rolls forward lightenning the rear wheels (Just a thought you could put more compression dampening on the front end) to stop the off throttle roll forward also, more rear downforce may help too.

Timmyboy83
26-09-2017, 12:59
It's one car out of 180+ in the game, and one tyre type that got bugged. Even if SMS were to know this before launch, would you think they'd stop the complete release plan for it? The issue is known and will be patched soon, I don't think it's so dramatic as you make it sound :)

I don't make it dramatic......
Take a closer look @ the forum subjects, then you will find more tire problems with other cars, and in general you will find more problems.......
Imo games aren't complete anymore on the day of release and i think thats a bad thing.......
When you buy something, you wanna play and not stay put and wait for a patch to come up.....

LukeC1991
26-09-2017, 15:24
I’ve had this problem with all Formula Cars so far. The Formula Renault and Formula A are an absolute joke to drive because of this. My career has become unplayable because no matter what I do to car setup, I cannot get rid of this oversteer. Does anybody know a fix for this? :(

Timmyboy83
26-09-2017, 15:33
I’ve had this problem with all Formula Cars so far. The Formula Renault and Formula A are an absolute joke to drive because of this. My career has become unplayable because no matter what I do to car setup, I cannot get rid of this oversteer. Does anybody know a fix for this? :(

Yes, fix is coming in the upcoming patch......:p

LukeC1991
26-09-2017, 19:48
I’ve come to the conclusion that this oversteer bug might be track related and not car related. There are a couple of tracks I don’t get this silly oversteer. Long beach for example, the FA car is glued to the track, where as at the Red Bull Ring my gearbox overtakes me more times than you’ll see overtakes in an Indy 500. ��

Dev Nibor
26-09-2017, 19:56
With regards to the Ginetta GT5, I did some tweaking by reducing the front camber and applying more positive rear toe.
I find this car much more stable now, off throttle oversteer is almost gone unless you go very fast.
Still I find that the AI goes unrealistically fast in some corners whereas I just can't manage to take that corner at that speed. For example in Oulton I have trouble with Old Hall Corner and Cascades.

Maxime Parquet
26-09-2017, 20:24
Would be good to share setups for Fomula C in career, that may be helpul regarding those problems.

glennb3800
26-09-2017, 22:45
I had the same problem with the Clio after I finished the career mode with the ginetta ....i think the problem is it uses your last setup for whatever car you were using not the current car,I found when I went into private practice the setup for the Clio was totally different to the one that I saved in the career mode.Just try a run with the default mode i think you will find it much better then make some changes if needed there is reports its a known fault.When i was running the Clio in private practice it felt like a real car and the FFB felt quite good i was 5 seconds faster and it was easy to drive....For car setups have a look at Motor City Tunes PC2 Garage on Gt planet I found the Ginetta setup really good... I hope this helps.............

LukeC1991
27-09-2017, 02:19
Right, so tonight I’ve done quite a bit of testing these issues. I hate to say this but I think it’s just down to the Live Track 3.0. I used default setups on all cars and first tried Formula C at Brno in the fog in the winter, just like the career race. As described here, impossible to get tyre temps as the track was 3 degrees C. The car was undriveable, constantly spinning out and also horrendous understeer. I then tested it in the summer, totally different story, the car was gorgeous to drive. It did take about 4 laps to get the tyre temps up though, so maybe the Formula C tyres are bugged in terms of temps. I tested a few other scenarios that I encountered in career and the results were the same as with the Formula C.

So maybe the cars need to be made easier to drive in lower track temperatures, or the AI need to have to same handling difficulties that we have in those conditions.

Maxime Parquet
27-09-2017, 15:40
Ok so, I tried to make my second race of my career with FC at COTA. Got a great start and was first at 1st turn. the car behave good for two laps, and as I was first, i drove with maximal security (didn't brake late or accelerate too soon). But after that, the car's behavior completely changed, and I spun again and again. Don't know if it's a bug or something else, but I'll wait it to be fix to go on with my career.

CPS-3
27-09-2017, 20:58
Differential lock my friend, differential lock 😉

Barhk
28-09-2017, 09:51
I'll second the ones having "slippery" problems in Formula C career. Had the same problems but not as pronounced in Formula Rookie Career too.
I'm no expert in fiddling with setups but I've only seen marginal improvements in handling via changing setups.
PS4, with G29 wheel, assists off except ABS.
I find it weird that with the amount of sliding I do, the rear tires heat up very slowly. Front tires heat up through braking, slowly too but faster than rear.

What did make me able to finish a race/qualification without spinning out was to explicitly set tires to Wet, even if conditions were dry.
They get red and smoking through long high speed curves but I still have much more grip than Automatic by Weather or Slicks.
And I can get on throttle much earlier in turn, and almost no rear end sliding when braking hard and turning slightly at the same time.
Turning and braking is impossible to do with slicks without getting into a slide which was very hard to catch. Feeling is like rear end loses almost all grip, like on ice. (A bit exaggerated, I admit.)
Thing is, I'm no world class driver, but I can do laptimes 5 to 20s better with Wet tires compared to Slicks. It really should be the other way around in dry conditions, right?
I'm nowhere near the World record times, I'm like 5-10s behind in Free Practice. In Career I'm 30-40s behind WR times...

If someone can please post a stable setup for Formula C Career, I would be happy to test it out!

rockyxa
08-10-2017, 12:19
I agree that something must be wrong with the formula c cars (perhaps other cars as well?). In my first race in career driving formula c, I qualified last, 3 seconds behind the lead on 60% difficulty... In PC1 the right difficulty for me was about 85-90% where i could qualify first. First i thought that my suckiness was just down to the new tyre model, but it feels that a more accurate tyre model would make you better, not worse? The car just keep spinning mid corner, with no feel of downforce what so ever. Haven't tried the wet tyres to see if there is a difference though.

rockyxa
08-10-2017, 12:48
I agree that something must be wrong with the formula c cars (perhaps other cars as well?). In my first race in career driving formula c, I qualified last, 3 seconds behind the lead on 60% difficulty... In PC1 the right difficulty for me was about 85-90% where i could qualify first. First i thought that my suckiness was just down to the new tyre model, but it feels that a more accurate tyre model would make you better, not worse? The car just keep spinning mid corner, with no feel of downforce what so ever. Haven't tried the wet tyres to see if there is a difference though.

I'm on pc by the way... Sorry for posting in wrong forum.

yosri
08-10-2017, 14:06
Been trying to get a formula c car around Bruno and tried soooo many settings and can't seem to stop the back end from coming round when off throttle mid corner, it's got so annoying that I'm thinking of just skipping all the races to pick another class in career menu .
I found the first tier ginetta Jr's & some of the cars I've messed about with fun but the formula c car has made me fed up with my career .
Also ktm crossbow in the challenge was a pig with no feel

Please help asap

I've also been having this frustrating problem with Formula C. I tried increasing the rear down-force several clicks using the race engineer, and that seemed to fix the problem. May be the default setups are bad, and may be there are other issues going on as well but, for now, this helped me. I found that I had to increase the rear down-force, try it out, increase again, and so on, until I hit a sweet spot. It also differs from one track to another, so I rely heavily on the practice session where I can test out the vehicle on the given track and making all adjustments before qualifying.

whoistrulees
08-10-2017, 15:40
The formula C cars are practically undriveable anyway....

The only way I can drive it is with TC, ALB and SC set to ON. However, the stability control has a massive bug in it especially for open wheel cars whereby when mid-corner the car loses the throttle, the front dips down (like its trying to eat the asphalt) and I lose a huge amount of time.

The only fix is to turn OFF SC but I have the same issue as the writer of this post whereby the car spins out.

This needs to be addressed by the developers, as so far open wheel cars cannot be driven at realistic speeds. You either have to have assists off and drive super slow, or have them on and lost a lot of time through the throttle switching off and having a lot of engine breaking.

Wanna try yourself, take a Formula C car around Brno, put SC ON and try the second sector series of corners especially. Or turn OFF and enjoy spinning out.

hobo0933
15-10-2017, 14:01
It is still the same for me even after patch 2.0; slicks do not seem to get warm and wets have much better grip in dry conditions. I am getting fed up with PC2.

Paulpg87
15-10-2017, 15:44
Confirm. Formula C is broken both in Germania of handling and tyre temp. Ginetta gt5 has been fixed on the other hand. I don't care about FC but should be fixed.

Maxime Parquet
15-10-2017, 19:09
I had no problem with slick tires since update 2.0 :S

azzamann79
15-10-2017, 19:48
I disagree. Yesterday while playing I could not make any traction in the wet race at Brands hatch GP on wets so I restarted the race and went onto slicks. I had a much better time of it.

Ginetta gt5 has been fixed on the other hand.

mister dog
15-10-2017, 22:35
I tried a new Formula C career and the AI are destroying me on 80 difficulty (which is normally around my speed), in the first round at Brno. Had to tune the car for quite some time to get it to handle right (suspension, brakes, downforce, gears you name it), and they are still seconds faster than me.

Also the slick tyres stay blue no matter how much you slide around and laps you set. Tried lowering the pressure but to no avail.

Paulpg87
16-10-2017, 10:10
I disagree. Yesterday while playing I could not make any traction in the wet race at Brands hatch GP on wets so I restarted the race and went onto slicks. I had a much better time of it.

Yes Sorry. I mean they fixed the handling (It was impossibile to control). Tyres and related temps still not working.

hobo0933
16-10-2017, 13:17
Well, I will just have to wait for the next patch then, and see if they get it right next time around. Good thing PC1 can be used in the meantime.

xtro
16-10-2017, 14:56
To anyone having off throttle spinning issues... try to play with wheel Damper (0 to 50) and Speed sensitivity (above 0) and see if this helps. I think the default settings are a bit wrong and prone to this type of loss of control. Because the wheel inputs are way to strong and sudden they create easily a loss of balance.

Atak Kat
16-10-2017, 15:42
I've been frustrated by the same issue with Formula Rookie career.

I found that choosing wet tires fixes almost everything. Seems stupid. Maybe its still a bug. But just picking the wet tires gets me more competitive to the AI times and the tire temps seem to become green after about a lap. So, I race with wets even if it doesn't make sense.

I also found that lowering the rear anti-roll bar strength makes a big difference to how the car handles going into the corners. Like really low, almost to zero. Don't really have issues anymore with the rear end coming around at every corner (or, when it starts to happen it seems much more possible to correct it, rather than just be along for the ride)

I've been doing career races between 60-80% difficulty, and with the above, I can at least give myself a chance.

Furious Styles
16-10-2017, 20:25
The Formula C car is the car that I driven the most according to my affinity (275 Miles). After the new patch, loading the stable setup have made these cars an absolute joy to drive with my T150 on the PS Pro.
I use authentic assist and just won the US Formula C championship. My tires have no issues maintaining heat during the races that I have taken place in. I can only speak for myself but my experience has been great post patch (wasn't too bad pre-patch)with the Formula C and Formula Rookie cars.

mister dog
16-10-2017, 20:40
The Formula C car is the car that I driven the most according to my affinity (275 Miles). After the new patch, loading the stable setup have made these cars an absolute joy to drive with my T150 on the PS Pro.
I use authentic assist and just won the US Formula C championship. My tires have no issues maintaining heat during the races that I have taken place in. I can only speak for myself but my experience has been great post patch (wasn't too bad pre-patch)with the Formula C and Formula Rookie cars.
Better try that one then as I just kept it with the loose setup and tuned from there. Car handles good now but like I said above the AI is destroying me at Brno. Which AI difficulty you had it set on and are you on slicks?

I found that choosing wet tires fixes almost everything. Seems stupid. Maybe its still a bug. But just picking the wet tires gets me more competitive to the AI times and the tire temps seem to become green after about a lap. So, I race with wets even if it doesn't make sense.
edit: Well thanks for the tip! I just put wet tyres on my FC and all of a sudden i'm 5 seconds faster in the dry with the added grip and they heat up properly + don't wear too much neither.

Wets all the way then, it will be easy too if the weather changes to actual rain mid race lol.

Furious Styles
16-10-2017, 21:33
Better try that one then as I just kept it with the loose setup and tuned from there. Car handles good now but like I said above the AI is destroying me at Brno. Which AI difficulty you had it set on and are you on slicks?

I am not an alien so I keep the A.I between 40-50 depending on the track.

mister dog
16-10-2017, 21:44
I am not an alien so I keep the A.I between 40-50 depending on the track.
Edited my post above just now, think I find the secret to success :).

gufazi
17-10-2017, 11:53
Yes, using the "Stable" set-up instead of the default "Loose" set up fixed it for me!

iggy
24-10-2017, 12:23
So when is the 'fix' happening... soon was about a month ago. I don't believe this issue is limited to just Formula C, or... it sounds a lot like the issue that many report with Formula Rookie... and with other car types too. ( not at all sure exactly how wide spread it is, but I don't think it's one car type)

Maskmagog
24-10-2017, 14:41
Just started Formula C career, and changed to sports tires instead of slicks. The tyres seem heat properly (around 90 degrees C), and stay warm. Loaded the stable setup, and have no problem with the handling. Struggled a lot with Ginetta Jr in career, pre-patch. In comparison, the Formula C is easy to drive, very stable. Granted, I'm a contender for the Captain Slow title, but that's on me. Don't think I've edited the setup, more than lowering tyre pressure a bit. The rest of the tuning options are still greek to me (but I'm reading, and learning). Still having loads of fun!

LPlates
24-10-2017, 16:37
I had the off throttle issue in the F:Renault and the only setting that made any difference other that using wets was setting the coast diff to 20deg.

JuZ
09-11-2017, 13:25
I've been struggling with the snap lift off oversteer and tyre temps, will give some of the advice a try :)

JuZ
10-11-2017, 09:46
A combination of tyre choice and a mildly tweeked SMS stable setup has brought me up 10 0.100sec off the pace :) a bit more tinkering over the weekend and I'll brave Quali

iggy
10-11-2017, 13:53
I've been struggling with the snap lift off oversteer and tyre temps, will give some of the advice a try :)

I hate to say it, but learning to drive without lifting off in the middle of a corner is the way I've dealt with it most. Drive in deep, break at the last minute, then get back on the throttle without much of any coasting.

Apparently this is the fast way to drive anyway... very little coasting.

Another thing I've started doing, that may very well lead to faster times in general... drive hard don't turn in until the last minute , then turn more abruptly to the point where you get the car to rotate while before hitting the apex and run a little straighter through the apex then what you normally might do. This seems to make it a bit easier for me anyway... I can transition from being on throttle to off while in more of a straight line..

The part that remains frustrating to me, is I'm still not sure I would have to try all these new driving techniques if the car was just more stable when getting off the throttle in a corner. PC2 seems to be more tricky in these off throttle situations than any of the other racing situations I've been in before... Some will leave you to believe that you just have to get the differential setup correctly and maybe there is some truth to that. However, I would argue that perhaps there really should be a better initial setup of differentials in PC2 , and that those who want to find tiny fractions of speed by going beyond the ordinary, should be the ones that need to get in and tweak stuff like this. But mostly what's frustrating is I honestly don't know if this is a 'bug' in the simulation, or if I just need to learn more, it's the second guessing of what's me and what's not that is frustrating.

Savoy49
10-11-2017, 14:14
Also try reducing the engine braking (higher number = less engine brake) to suit your driving style.

JuZ
10-11-2017, 19:37
It's not so much a full lift off that I do, more of an attitude adjustment by lessening the throttle, anyway I've got it pretty much how I like now with some small tweaks to the diff coast setting, engine braking and weight bias, now topping the time sheet in Practice :)

smokozuna
11-11-2017, 05:43
wet tires saved the day for me in formula rookie, no assists needed on ps4 using a controller. i have tons of grip now!

JuZ
12-11-2017, 19:56
Well what a difference, I was considered chucking in the towel and starting a different career but following the advice on this thread and making a few adjustments of my own l have gone from 3 seconds down to being 2 seconds faster and having to turn the AI up! What a brilliant little car the FC is :D

sbtm
12-11-2017, 20:11
main reason for that lift off oversteer should be wrong diff settings for coasting. Also try to soften the rear dampers more compared to the front and maybe raise the ride height a bit on the back. At last you can also try to soften the rear ARB, but try other solutions like diff coasting first.
Only try one thing at once during testing and don't adjust everything at once. I wouldn't recommend wet tyres in dry, that's exploiting a bug/glitch and won't help you after it's patched out.

JuZ
12-11-2017, 20:29
For me most of the problem was the very high engine braking in standard trim, once I'd increased it to 8 and reduced the coast setting a bit on the diff the car was much better behaved.

hobo0933
16-11-2017, 12:24
Here is an update for everyone: I bought a new PC and a 21:9 monitor and PC2 for PC, and wow. It is a completely different game. The feel is totally different and so much more fun and now any spinning is recoverable.

One thing that came to mind is that when I played on the XB1 I had it connected to a good TV. However, I had smoothing effects on, which now that I come to think of it must create lag. Maybe everyone who is having problems should test turning this off if enabled. Just a thought.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am using the same TX Wheel, and with Jack Spade Custom FFB Files. Great stuff! :)

manzomo
04-12-2017, 20:03
I hate to say it, but learning to drive without lifting off in the middle of a corner is the way I've dealt with it most. Drive in deep, break at the last minute, then get back on the throttle without much of any coasting.

Apparently this is the fast way to drive anyway... very little coasting.

/////CUT///////

But mostly what's frustrating is I honestly don't know if this is a 'bug' in the simulation, or if I just need to learn more, it's the second guessing of what's me and what's not that is frustrating.

I totally second your thoughts. I was in the same situation with the Clio *as other people on this thread( but then I-ve tweaked a bit the setup and adjusted my driving, and it worked although with much effort and repetition. Thing is, I find it much harder to do so with Formula C: there's too much tweaking needed, it seems, or I'm just meddling in the wrong way. I'd be curious to see a short clip of how you drive it on Brno, since it's where I'm stuck (yeah, first race). Have you adjusted the setup too? How?

manzomo
04-12-2017, 20:04
Well what a difference, I was considered chucking in the towel and starting a different career but following the advice on this thread and making a few adjustments of my own l have gone from 3 seconds down to being 2 seconds faster and having to turn the AI up! What a brilliant little car the FC is :D

could you share your settings? thanks!

manzomo
04-12-2017, 21:42
after much testing and tweaking on setup, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that really works is to put on wet tyres (I've moved from +9 secs to -2). It might be a bug, or it might be that the track is too cold and 'made wet' by fog so wet tyres are a better choice?... But with wet tyres the frustration is over and I can now move to qualifiers.
as said above, I've had issues with Clio and Formula Rookie too, but I managed to overcome them in both classes by adapting driving style and messing with setup. but with Formula C I could not find a way (and on to of that Brno it's a tricky track). let's see how the rest of the season goes.

JuZ
05-12-2017, 14:18
could you share your settings? thanks!

I started by using the SMS Stable setup but with the engine braking turned up as high as it would go and from memory I altered the diff to Power 70 Coast 30. Give that a try and see how you get on.

iggy
06-12-2017, 15:25
I've been revisiting the Formula C car with slicks... There is for sure something wrong here still. At Bruno , I have AI set to 50%, and I think they are turning like 2:09 laps, I've tweaked things in many different ways and about the best lap I can do on slick tires is like 2:16. This is when the tires are pre-warmed at the start of the race, so I don't think it's all related to tire temperatures. I haven't yet tried things when track temperatures are higher, I suppose I'll do that tonight, but wow... on a relatively cool tack ( 100F track temps ), this thing is like very very hard to drive. It pushes coming in to moderate to high speed corners, turns pretty good in the middle ( if you get the speed perfect ) but then is very easy to spin coming off the corners... and that's when you have like the perfect line , etc...

if someone really has this car driving well in the current version of PC2 on a PS4, I'd REALLY like to hear exact details about your setup and the conditions your driving in, as well as the actual lap times your doing.

Right now, the problems I'm having with this car are just baffling. I'm like totally obsessing over trying to make this car drive OK at Bruno on a 100F track. It's getting really annoying, and because I honestly don't know if this is like a total bug in the current version of PC2, or if it will or won't change in the upcoming patch, it's just really really driving me nuts. Why? because I'm so into this now, and I really want to try and understand car setup better, and thought I had begun to get a handle on things, but this car at this track, in these conditions just leaves me scratching my head.

Eric Everfast
06-12-2017, 16:40
You're not alone. I've tried wets and although the tires warm up easily, my pace isn't close to where it is with optimal tire temps on slicks. The catch is that I too, can't warm up the slicks enough in the winter fog conditions of career mode at Brno.

I haven't messed around with setup too much apart from tire pressures and downforce so I'm sure there are ways to have the tires warm up more than the default settings. Even at that, there are a few mentions in other threads/forums that the tire temps on the FC and the F Rookie are bugged; I guess we'll see if it's the case when patch 3 rolls out or if we just need to get better at tuning.

For reference, pace in time trial (only the first 2 laps since the slicks cool down too much afterwards) is high 2:08s vs. pace on wets in career is high 2:13s at best. Weather and track temperatures are obviously different while comparing both modes but I don't feel like there should be a 5 second difference. With slicks in career at Brno, I'm running mid 2:14s at best and the car is much more difficult to control given the cold tires.

iggy
06-12-2017, 18:04
Well, I'm past the point where I care about getting down to 2:08 at Bruno with the FC car, but I'd like to get the car to be a lot easier to drive than it is now for me. I don't really even care at this point what the lowest lap time is that I can achieve, I'm just trying to understand car setup. What's really irritating to me, is I don't know if the car setup tweaks I'm making are even valid, in terms of learning what the right way to adjust a setup is. I'd be perfectly happy fiddling with things for hour and hours, if I only knew the knowledge I gain can be used on other cars... For all I know, the downforce on the Formula C car just isn't right... or that maybe there's some other aspect of things that is mucked up with the car. In some ways, it's very intriguing , because the car handles so badly, little tweaks can fairly easily be felt, where on other cars that already handle well, it seems sometimes it can be harder to tell what a little tweak to setup is actually doing...

Maybe it's just a mental thing, maybe I need to just forget about the Formula C for now and wait for the darn patch to see what , if anything changes with it. But then, it's like an addiction , trying to get that good setup on that Formula C car.

Alfisti
06-12-2017, 18:44
All this talk of realism and sim and immersion etc and the Formula C goes from very easy to drive to absolute nightmare from PC1 to PC2.

It's all BS honestly, this whole idea of a sim, better off just admitting it's fun to race other people and dumb it down a bit.

Eric Everfast
06-12-2017, 18:53
Maybe it's just a mental thing, maybe I need to just forget about the Formula C for now and wait for the darn patch to see what , if anything changes with it. But then, it's like an addiction , trying to get that good setup on that Formula C car.

I feel ya; I'm as stubborn as one gets when trying to tame a car and getting on par with the pace. Tires on the other open wheelers that I've tried heat up just fine (Indy and FX) so I do believe we'll be getting a fix for the FC which will result in the Brno race feeling like a breeze for those of us who have practised so much with the car in its current state.

Here's a book that has helped my tuning knowledge alot: https://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Handling-Street-Track-High-performance-ebook/dp/B005X0ZANO

I haven't got around to applying much of it yet.

Eric Everfast
06-12-2017, 18:56
All this talk of realism and sim and immersion etc and the Formula C goes from very easy to drive to absolute nightmare from PC1 to PC2.

It's all BS honestly, this whole idea of a sim, better off just admitting it's fun to race other people and dumb it down a bit.

I feel like it drives well when the tires are heated; it's just a matter of getting them up to temperature that seems hardly achievable right now (the slicks of course).

iggy
06-12-2017, 19:11
I've managed to get other open wheel cars to drive reasonably well with slicks that are warmed up, but for me even on pre-heated tires like at the start of a race, it just doesn't ever feel comfortable. Put wet tires on, and it feels like it's on extremely grippy marshmallows.

Eric Everfast
06-12-2017, 19:17
I've managed to get other open wheel cars to drive reasonably well with slicks that are warmed up, but for me even on pre-heated tires like at the start of a race, it just doesn't ever feel comfortable. Put wet tires on, and it feels like it's on extremely grippy marshmallows.

It's a "pointy" car. It demands progressive throttle and a slow steering release while exiting corners.

Word on the wets feeling like marshmallows lol. Takes away a bit of the thrill when you're using them for situations other than wet conditions.

manzomo
06-12-2017, 20:39
I feel ya; I'm as stubborn as one gets when trying to tame a car and getting on par with the pace. Tires on the other open wheelers that I've tried heat up just fine (Indy and FX) so I do believe we'll be getting a fix for the FC which will result in the Brno race feeling like a breeze for those of us who have practised so much with the car in its current state.

Here's a book that has helped my tuning knowledge alot: https://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Handling-Street-Track-High-performance-ebook/dp/B005X0ZANO

I haven't got around to applying much of it yet.

I fell ya too! Can-t remember what times is made at Brno with slick, but even my best clean laps were really slower than then AI's, and I play on low difficulty (33...). I couldn't really keep up with them. But what bugged me when I eventually went to race is that the AI was much better than it was in qualifying. It's a pity that the AI is so stupidly unpredictable - I've bought PC 2 mainly because there was no career mode in GT Sport, and career here is the only thing I'm playing (with three different pilots), and I'm really into learning how to drive, and how to setup a car and adapt it to my style. But I'm not sure anymore if I am actually learning if the game system is so inconsistent...

JuZ
06-12-2017, 21:10
Maybe it's different on the xbox but I really enjoyed the FC championship once I got the car setup, I play with the AI set to 79 with aggression 55 on a G920 wheel from an old Parker Knoll arm chair. I will endeavour to get my settings if I can now I've moved on to Formula Renault.

Eric Everfast
07-12-2017, 03:05
Maybe it's different on the xbox but I really enjoyed the FC championship once I got the car setup, I play with the AI set to 79 with aggression 55 on a G920 wheel from an old Parker Knoll arm chair. I will endeavour to get my settings if I can now I've moved on to Formula Renault.

I'd be interested in seeing what you did with the setup. Let me know when you have the time

DJ ALKOHOLIK
07-12-2017, 03:10
I’m currently entered into 2 different formula c championships the first 1 the 2 tracks so far hockenheim and sakitto I’ve used wets no problem with the sms stable setup and break pressure at 80% car drives great as long as you don’t overdrive the car! The 2nd series I ran at Dubai and the slicks were 100% better than the wets so I think it track temps that decide what tyre to use it also take longer to warm up the slicks over the wets

iggy
07-12-2017, 04:13
I can confirm that running in the middle of July at Bruno with track temperature around 110F, the Formula C car on slick tires is much better handling. It's relatively easy to keep tire temperatures up around 150F and up towards 165F. I still can't turn a 1:09 lập but did get to 1:11.. I had potential lap down at 1:09 but haven't yet managed to run every sector at full potential in a single lap. So, the issue seems to be a combination of cool track and possibly slightly funky tire model. On 88F track in mid May the car doesn't grip very well even when the tires are preheated, I can barely do 1:15 laps and the AI is doing slightly better lap times than they turn in a mid July race.

The car is somewhat fun to drive on the warmer track, but still not great and no where near as hooked up as the AI.

davekojo
07-12-2017, 04:20
I haven't tested thoroughly but the new patch (I think is still only on PC) has better tires for the Formula C which should fix the issues.

iggy
07-12-2017, 13:00
Oh, and FYI - Most of my severe loose off throttle was solved by setting both power and coast ramp angles to right around 45. You'll still be on the edge out of control if your tires and the track aren't reasonably warm however.

iggy
07-12-2017, 18:31
Ok, who's got the v1.3 patched version of PC2? and how much if any, has the handling of the Formula C car changed as a result of changes made in the patch? In the patch notes, there is nothing specifically related to the Formula C car, there are somewhat vague indication that tweaks to all tire compounds, like "Various tyre behaviour tweaks and improvements to the different tyre compounds." and "Altered the pre-heating temperatures of various tyres to prevent them from being outside optimum temp range at race starts.", as well as all encompassing "...and many other small tweaks, improvements and performance enhancements."

So, how much has changed with regard to the Formula C issues , after this the patch( v1.301)?

TUR80
08-12-2017, 00:13
Just entered the Formula A championship after completing my Formula Renault 3.5 season. So far, the Formula A car has been nothing short of a pain to navigate around the Red Bull Ring. Feels like I’ve got zero control over the car and its obsession with wanting to spin is frustrating. If anyone has any tips or good setups I’d be really grateful before I lose my mind :livid:

Eric Everfast
09-12-2017, 07:18
Ok, who's got the v1.3 patched version of PC2? and how much if any, has the handling of the Formula C car changed as a result of changes made in the patch? In the patch notes, there is nothing specifically related to the Formula C car, there are somewhat vague indication that tweaks to all tire compounds, like "Various tyre behaviour tweaks and improvements to the different tyre compounds." and "Altered the pre-heating temperatures of various tyres to prevent them from being outside optimum temp range at race starts.", as well as all encompassing "...and many other small tweaks, improvements and performance enhancements."

So, how much has changed with regard to the Formula C issues , after this the patch( v1.301)?

Tires warm up alot more easily. The handling is the same, only now you could get it to grip properly.

Brake harder and later around Brno in career to keep the heat in those tires. You have to eliminate all coasting to keep the temps up with this car - especially in the cooler conditions. Be aggressive with it once you're comfortable with where the limit is.

Now doing high 2:10s, low 2:11s in career at Brno (around 3-4 seconds up vs. pre-patch). I could boost the AI up given that I can keep those tires operating nicely.

iggy
09-12-2017, 17:30
Thanks Eric...

I'm patiently waiting for Sony USA to approve the hot patch ( the .01 in version 3.01). Running TC Masters Championship right now, while I wait.

RC-5PO
09-12-2017, 18:27
I spent about 30 minutes poking about on the first race practice of the Formula C season at cold Brno circuit. I too noticed that I can't get the brakes to hold any temperature. Also noticed some pretty major lift off oversteer which I'm sure can be fixed with some tuning like mentioned in an earlier post. Tire grip seem to be working much better with patch 3.0 though. What are you guys using as a goal for pressure in these types of conditions? I'm guessing 24psi front and 21psi rear? If that is the case I think I'm still worrying too much about tire temps(PC1 habits die hard.) I also tried the Formula C car in much different conditions in Brno on Time Trial and you are started with much higher tire pressures(30ish I believe.) Should I be trying for that kind of pressure in the cold also?

Eric Everfast
09-12-2017, 18:44
If memory serves right, the starting tire pressures in time trial at Brno is 23psi at the front and 19psi at the rear. With the default setup in the cooler conditions in career you're starting with 18psi at the front and 14psi at the rear. I can get them up and keep them to 20psi/16psi respectively without tweaking anything in the setup which is enough to start pushing for good pace.

I'm thinking many things can be done to heat them up more. I'll test increasing brake pressure and adjusting brake bias more to the rear since they have a harder time getting up to temp. I might have the wheels slightly toe out for better cornering and slightly increase downforce as well.

Also, keep the pressures lower in the cold if you want to be able to heat them up properly. That being said, I don't know what the optimal pressures would be; perhaps somebody can chime in on that. If not, I know there's a spreadsheet table on the topic somewhere in the forums.

manzomo
10-12-2017, 15:47
Tires warm up alot more easily. The handling is the same, only now you could get it to grip properly.

Brake harder and later around Brno in career to keep the heat in those tires. You have to eliminate all coasting to keep the temps up with this car - especially in the cooler conditions. Be aggressive with it once you're comfortable with where the limit is.

Now doing high 2:10s, low 2:11s in career at Brno (around 3-4 seconds up vs. pre-patch). I could boost the AI up given that I can keep those tires operating nicely.

Good news! Although I'm not sure I can drive a Brno again for a while, after all the frustration with those tyres! :-)

Eric Everfast
10-12-2017, 18:11
Good news! Although I'm not sure I can drive a Brno again for a while, after all the frustration with those tyres! :-)

Hehehe. Safe to say that I won't be driving Brno for a while too. Feels good to be back on Donington GP