PDA

View Full Version : A.I. Behaviour during and after rain

sneakygloworm
24-09-2017, 19:27
Hi,

I have run a 10 lap race, 15 opponents and 4 slots of random weather (generally a mixture of sun and rain/snow) at Monza a few times. I ran last place to see how the A.I reacts to wet weather, etc. I noticed that after rain, when the dryline is in or the track is mostly dry, the whole pack pit over 2 laps leaving me in first place for the rest of the race. This happens every time although my tyres are okay with around the same amount of grip so no point me pitting. I understand they will pit for dry tyres but it's immersion breaking and takes any sense of challenge away because I don't need to actually race, just keep up with them. Also, with lotus open wheel in rain, its understandably challenging but the A.I drive like it is dry. Maybe slightly slower than normal. Again, when the track dries, I take first place. Have I missed an option or is it an issue? Thx

edcwhite
24-09-2017, 19:43
I just had a similar race with the AI where the second half of my 10 lap race was raining. On lap 8, 3/4 of the the grid pitted and I went from 10th place to 2nd and effectively ruined the experience.

I hope there is a workaround and/or a fix available for this.

sneakygloworm
24-09-2017, 20:48
At least it's not just me then! Haha! Just did a similar thing in spa just now running 15th in rain but followed the pack into the pits for tyres on lap 5 on drying track. Came out in 6th place. Doesn't seem to make any sense. My tyres felt awful before the stop with horrible understeer. Pitted, they seemed to change tyres. When I came back out, still the same (i.e awful). Again not sure if I needed to ask for new/dry tyres though. On lap 8 it rained hard again. A.I. didn't pit that time but finished the race on the tyres they had.

cornishbrooksy
24-09-2017, 20:49
Although i cant comment on the tyre pit strategy, i know that SMS is aware and going through the AI in low grip conditions and expect it to be patched in the near future.

Kaerar
24-09-2017, 20:54
It's been an issue with AI since it's inception in racing games with adverse weather. The AI simply can't comprehend going 2-3 laps on wet weather tires to finish a race as they are 'sub-optimal'. There needs to be a sub-routine added which has an indistinct cut off for working out if a pit-stop or continuing to end is the viable strategy for the current situation as the AI simply can't make that decision currently.

sneakygloworm
24-09-2017, 21:00
Okay Cool. That's good news. It seems the pack pit for tyres either worn or to switch from wet to dry or vice versa but why they all pit together and what actually happens in the pit is a difficult one. The mandatory pitstop selection is off in the options as well.

sneakygloworm
24-09-2017, 21:02
It's been an issue with AI since it's inception in racing games with adverse weather. The AI simply can't comprehend going 2-3 laps on wet weather tires to finish a race as they are 'sub-optimal'. There needs to be a sub-routine added which has an indistinct cut off for working out if a pit-stop or continuing to end is the viable strategy for the current situation as the AI simply can't make that decision currently.

Hopefully it can be programmed in? It's a bit of a game breaker at the moment with the gorgeous wet weather a no go for challenging racing...:(

Attackmack
24-09-2017, 22:18
At least it's not just me then! Haha! Just did a similar thing in spa just now running 15th in rain but followed the pack into the pits for tyres on lap 5 on drying track. Came out in 6th place. Doesn't seem to make any sense. My tyres felt awful before the stop with horrible understeer. Pitted, they seemed to change tyres. When I came back out, still the same (i.e awful). Again not sure if I needed to ask for new/dry tyres though. On lap 8 it rained hard again. A.I. didn't pit that time but finished the race on the tyres they had.

Im not sure but i think, unless youve specified new tyres in the "in car management" menu they wont change them for you.

Though ive seen others claim different tures doesnt do much difference...this sounds too bad to be true and i havent tested myself yet so hopefully it isnt true.