PDA

View Full Version : Car damage = overheating *Possible Bug*

ryand111
24-09-2017, 22:57
Hello,

I've come across an issue where if you slightly damage your car it will result in you're engine overheating and ruining your race. I've not done too many tests but I have managed to replicate it using a Lamborghini Huracan gt3 at the Nurburgring with an air temp of 77f and the car radiator open 100%.

What I've noticed is the overheating scales up with damage, first I did a slight tap and ended up with 3% front damage and found the engine to reach about 190, then I decided up give it another tap and ended up with 13% front damage, this resulted in the engine getting very hot (300) and 1/3 of a lap later it blowing. I'm fine with punishing damage but 13% damage resulting in you not even being able to finish a lap of the 'ring is not right

I don't know how to report bug fixes directly so if anyway know/can forward it that would be great. The worst thing is this ruined a race for me and it wasn't even my fault, the computer controlled rolling start is bugged and resulted in me crashing into a few cars resulting in slight front and rear damage and a drive through penalty ( luckily I didn't have to serve this as my engine had blown up >_>).

Mahjik
24-09-2017, 23:04
That is by design. Front in damage reduces air intake to the radiator on GT3 cars (for formula cars, their radiators are located in different areas). So the more front damage you take, the hotter the car runs thus the more engine damage occurs.

ryand111
25-09-2017, 09:34
But 13% damage pretty much means your race is over, I get that the driver should be punished but visually the car looks untouched, and it seems unfair to have this happen when rolling starts are so buggy. You can't even nurse the car home without the temps going too high

drathuu
25-09-2017, 10:52
Lift off and dont overrev, reduce heat, finish your race .. Its a sim.. Drive clean..

BMfan
25-09-2017, 11:17
I did a La Sarthe race with damage off driving a R8 V10 and within 2 laps my engine was gone and that was in the rain.
I think Audi's have a very bad cooling system,I will never buy one now.

doodleco
25-09-2017, 11:19
I assume turning off mechanical failures would stop this for those who don't want to slow down?
This damage model is quite realistic really, anyone else see Le Mans this year where the Bykolles car suffered terminal engine overheating caused by hitting a tiny piece of debris on lap 1? With cars this high tech, even the smallest amount of damage can ruin the day.

Matt York
25-09-2017, 11:28
I assume turning off mechanical failures would stop this for those who don't want to slow down?
This damage model is quite realistic really, anyone else see Le Mans this year where the Bykolles car suffered terminal engine overheating caused by hitting a tiny piece of debris on lap 1? With cars this high tech, even the smallest amount of damage can ruin the day.

This is correct.

Turning Mechanical Damage OFF will prevent engines from blowing. Even with Damage turned OFF, this can still happen if there isn't enough air getting to the radiator. Some cars have better cooling than others, so beware of engine temperatures exceeding around 110C / 230F. These aren't definitive figures, but around there is where you want to consider using less revs and trying to managing the engine temps by coasting off throttle, or if possible, increase the radiator opening to allow more air into the engine.

With damage ON, even a small knock could lead to the radiator getting damaged and engine temperatures starting to increase.

ryand111
25-09-2017, 11:29
The problem is even when you do lift off the heat still rises, I was crawling along with the lowest revs possible and it still resulted in an engine blowout.

Mahjik
26-09-2017, 13:55
The problem is even when you do lift off the heat still rises, I was crawling along with the lowest revs possible and it still resulted in an engine blowout.

Yep. There are certain circumstances where there is nothing you can do and your race is over (just like in real life). During a test race in WMD2, we did a 2.4 hour multi-class Le Mans race (which was a total blast). About 40 minutes in, I had a GT car spin in front of me and I had no where to go.. Tagged him and took pretty severe damage. I tried to limp it back to the pits as slow as possible, but there was just too much front end damage and the engine overheated (and failed). It happens.