PDA

View Full Version : [Possible Solution Inside post#57] Very poor graphics with htc VIVE on project cars 2

Denisk
25-09-2017, 00:19
Hello
The view into the htc VIVE when the game is running is very poor the narrow view and inside car is ok but the far view is bad .
Very bad.lot of pixels and blurry, like a very old game
I changed the settings to high without success
With a oculus rift it is working with my settings but with the htc VIVE it is bad.
Can someone give me the correct settings for htc vive?
The settings at the start of the game were all at low.
I have a i5 , Gtx 1060, 6gb 16 Gb ram with a gamer mother board.
Running on a thursmaster F1 steering wheel.
Thanks for your help!

dantestyle
25-09-2017, 01:57
Hey Denisk, I and a number of vive users are having serious issues at the moment, I haven't found a fix yet, I'm stil hunting myself.

Wish I could offer more info on this as I'm loving the game outside of VR but VR is the primary way I race.

Spiderx
25-09-2017, 02:06
same...
after so much rambling regarding how good VR was this time was also wondering why on my vive im not seeing that much improvment over pcars 1.... on AC and iracing i can crank up SS to 1.7 and graphics pretty much maxed except for PP Effects...in pcars is all on minimum with SS at 1.2 and yet it makes my 1080 sweat ... :/

CoolSpy
25-09-2017, 03:00
Same problem!! It is stuttery blurry mess compared to iRacing or even Assetto Corsa!

They need to optimize VR and ADD SHARPENING like in iRacing!! I feel like I am playing PC2 on a TV looking through a fishbowl.... terrible, I regret my purchase so hard, I think I'll leave the game take the dust! How is that possible to release a game with VR support like this in 2017 ?! :(

Note: I am on a 1080Ti + i7 4790K with 16 GB

Ian Bell
25-09-2017, 03:08
Add this to the list for the team please mods. We're hearing general feedback that we look MUCH better this time on the Rift so something might be awry here. Have the team look into it.

Aldo Zampatti
25-09-2017, 03:09
Add this to the list for the team please mods. We're hearing general feedback that we look MUCH better this time on the Rift so something might be awry here. Have the team look into it.

Adding

Spiderx
25-09-2017, 10:09

isniedood
25-09-2017, 10:59
Adding

Thanks! May have to do with a not working supersampling. When I change supersampling, I do not see a difference. When I change MSAA to medium graphics improve a lot. However, I do have a lot of performance problems no matter what. (On a GTX 1080)

Bealdor
25-09-2017, 11:06
VIVE guys, please try this: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52571-VIVE-VR-Graphics-Problem-FIXED

Please report back if this solves your issue.

isniedood
25-09-2017, 17:12
VIVE guys, please try this: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52571-VIVE-VR-Graphics-Problem-FIXED

Please report back if this solves your issue.

Nope too bad..

SimpleSkin
25-09-2017, 17:42
I suspect there is a fundamental difference at the hardware level between the Rift and the Vive. I have both and have used both with PCARS1. Haven't tried PCARS2 yet. The Rift was always higher res at distance where the Vive was higher res in the cockpit. I only used Rift because of this and there was nothing I could do setting wise that would change it. I'll try both headsets on PCARS2 tonight and see if anything has changed.

-Justin

stephensullivanphoto
25-09-2017, 22:42
+1 on the lack of detail in the background. Also am getting a random frame inserted every once in a while. Not sure if vive related, as i haven't played on a monitor yet.

I will try the folder rename method tonight.

CoolSpy
25-09-2017, 23:21
Nope, deleting the save folder does not improve the perfs for me!! And the image quality is atrocious (very blurry)

Guybrush Threepwood
25-09-2017, 23:34
Deleting the folder didn't work for me. The cockpit looks great, but anything more than 50 meters away from the car is a pixelated mess. Turning up in game SS does nothing but kill my frame rate. I also get a flicker now and again where it looks like it's taking a screenshot. Will try the oculus tool tomorrow, but it seems any kind of SS added makes ASW kick in.

In comparison, Assetto looks much sharper, and I can hold 90fps no problem, with a pixel density of 1.8. Though I'm on a Rift, so it seems to be crappy performance on both hmd's

MuddyPaws73
25-09-2017, 23:50
The Vive is working great for me and is a big improvement over PC1. I'm using the default PCARS 2 settings with SteamVR SS = 2.0. I was getting some random shuttering, but it has greatly decreased after deleting the vr xml files and restarting PC2 (only occurs a few time during a race). I'm maintaining 90 FPS with a full field of cars.

dantestyle
26-09-2017, 01:12
I'm so curious to see what the devs find the problem is...

I mean, obviously they did a tonne of testing AND the beta testers did a tonne of testing. So this issue aught to have come up for them, at least a few of them I'd think? IF not, I'm wracking my brains trying to think what would be different about my setup compared to others... There just isn't too much unusual happening on my computer.. I've even rolled back drivers to earlier dates to test that out.

Ian Bell
26-09-2017, 01:24
I'm so curious to see what the devs find the problem is...

I mean, obviously they did a tonne of testing AND the beta testers did a tonne of testing. So this issue aught to have come up for them, at least a few of them I'd think? IF not, I'm wracking my brains trying to think what would be different about my setup compared to others... There just isn't too much unusual happening on my computer.. I've even rolled back drivers to earlier dates to test that out.

It didn't. I refer you to the post above yours. On our kits everything looked great (much better than PC1). We're on it though as I have seen how good it looks when it's working well and I want everyone to experience that.

isniedood
26-09-2017, 06:44
It didn't. I refer you to the post above yours. On our kits everything looked great (much better than PC1). We're on it though as I have seen how good it looks when it's working well and I want everyone to experience that.

Do you believe it is just a visual issue or that there are performance issues (like bad frame rates as well?) I can not get 90fps even on the lowest settings with no supersampling (pc specs: 16 gig of ram, Ryzen 1700, windows 10, MSI Geforce GTX 1080). Tried everything, from reinstalling project cars to reinstalling drivers. Only thing I have not tried is reinstalling my PC.

Usvart
26-09-2017, 07:24
Denis

I have exactly the same hardware than you. Cockpit view is good but the white borderline of the track are very unsharp.

How can I see if I have 90 oder 45 fps?

Flashgod
26-09-2017, 11:18
I did some performance testing today, running the Steam VR performance graph. Tested several courses and always find the same thing, very inconsistent CPU and GPU usage. My 1080ti xtreme edition get's challenged from 60% usage to 140% (in VR at SS 1.0). It depends where you are on the track, there are specific locations where everything goes crazy, as an example drive to the top hill of nordschleife and just look at the trees on the roadside. Makes no sense to me, what the heck is taking so much performance at this totally unimportant spot? There is nothing big going on there.
The game needs Nvidia VRworks optimizations, single pass rendering, lens matched shading, multi resolution shading or we have to wait a couple of years until the next next GPU generation is able to handle this. Whats kind of a bummer because a custom OCed 1080ti is expensive, the top-notch hardware of today but with unused VR capabilities. There is so much waste of performance potential here, i really hoped PC2 would be one of the 1st AAA VR games that takes the next step.

stephensullivanphoto
27-09-2017, 04:21
I tried renaming the folder in documents and nothing changed. Still a blast to play and am stoked for when this is resolved! It will be as if there's a free upgrade lol.

giharding
27-09-2017, 07:31
Same issue here with a i7 4790k and gtx980, 16gb ram, Asus maximus 7 hero. Tempted to get a rift just to see if it's any better...

Eddy555
27-09-2017, 09:14
i7 4790K and 1080Ti and I'm borderline 90fps with medium to low settings, 1.7SS and medium MSAA. I have to turn everything pretty much off to get a solid 90fps.

CoolSpy
27-09-2017, 11:04

HI Ian, can we expect to see a "sharpening" option in the VR menu please ? My biggest complain is how blurry it looks compared to iRacing which has sharpening. I don't think it's much to implement and at least it would look sharper without going with insane settings on supersampling! Thanks

m00lean
27-09-2017, 12:05
I posted this in another thread, bit since people still have problems here, I'll repeat it...

I didn't have any problems with my vive at all. The difference is that I didn't play around with the ingame super sampling at all. I set it to 1.0 and used super sampling 2.0 in the steam developer options. After the patch I deleted the xml configs for the graphic settings and applied my settings again. Just to be sure.

My settings on a gtx 1080 are roughly: high textures (cars, track), medium settings, no post processing, no blur, no bloom, no light rays, low shadows. Getting solid 90 fps across the board. Even on full starting grids I only get very few filled frames.

Eddy555
27-09-2017, 18:14
I spent a while this evening playing around with this (1080Ti).
Steam Application Supersampling seems to work, but in game had no discernable effect either on image quality or frame rate.
I'm borderline 90fps even with Steam SS set at 1.6. I've had to jack it up to 2.0 though as it's too blurry for me otherwise.
MSAA - Medium
Texture Filter x 8
Car Detail - High
Track Detail - Medium
Shadow Detail - Medium
Motion Blur - Off
Reflect Detail - Low
Env Map - Low
Post Processing - Off

Flashgod
27-09-2017, 19:05
Bump!

I really like to see some VR optimizations in the next patches. In 1-2 years we will have HMD's with higher resolutions and PC2's performance will not be able to keep up...

tineras
27-09-2017, 19:48
FWIW... I feel like mine runs and looks fine and I run with somewhat high settings. They are nearly identical to the settings in yellow referenced here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/71xiav/project_cars_2_vr_performance_headroom_chart/). I never touched the in-game super sampling and I believe it was set at 2.0. I can't remember my steam super sampling, but I believe it is quite high. I have also never deleted the file(s) mentioned above. I was a part of the beta program and I'm not sure if any files there carried over to the full game.

Vive, 5930k, GTX 1080

Aldo Zampatti
27-09-2017, 19:51
FWIW... I feel like mine runs and looks fine and I run with somewhat high settings. They are nearly identical to the settings in yellow referenced here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/71xiav/project_cars_2_vr_performance_headroom_chart/). I never touched the in-game super sampling and I believe it was set at 2.0. I can't remember my steam super sampling, but I believe it is quite high. I have also never deleted the file(s) mentioned above. I was a part of the beta program and I'm not sure if any files there carried over to the full game.

Vive, 5930k, GTX 1080

I would recommend to everyone that is willing to try new settings, to start over with a fresh graphics configuration file.
Those are XML files located in %documents%\Project CARS2\*.xml

Eddy555
28-09-2017, 05:19
I did delete my graphics XML files but it didn't make any difference for me

stephensullivanphoto
28-09-2017, 05:45
I just deleted my xml files and then set everything Gamer Muscle's recommended settings and it looks 10x better! Had to keep steamvr SS to 1.0 though. I would post a link, but I don't have enough post's. Youtube Video title "PROJECT CARS 2 GRAPHICS SETTINGS GUIDE - HIGH PERFORMANCE VR"

Usvart
28-09-2017, 06:04
Can I use this guide also for my gtx1060?

stephensullivanphoto
28-09-2017, 06:31
It would be a great starting point! I have a gtx 1070 and can go up from his recommendation and still have smooth gameplay. It's worth a shot and if it doesn't work, just start scaling a few things down. If you have the time to watch the whole video, he goes into detail on what each setting does and chats about the load they cause.

keem85
28-09-2017, 07:22
I know this might sound obscure, but since some are experiencing this and others not, could it be hardware related? RAM latency? Or too many USB connected at once? (my MOBO has problems with that, and I have to limit my USB usage).. It doesn't sound like something that could affect performance and visual quality, but it's worth checking out anyways.

Usvart
28-09-2017, 08:22
How do you limit USB usage? Just unplugging some devices or did you disable the ports ?

But why should thus affect the GPU performance?

keem85
28-09-2017, 08:48
How do you limit USB usage? Just unplugging some devices or did you disable the ports ?

But why should thus affect the GPU performance?

Because some mobo can't handle all the power to all the USBs. Unplugging some USB devices restores full power to the other peripherals that needs them. And the GPU needs a lot of power aswell, so I'm guessing it's not getting enough power if the USB is draining all of it.. I'm speaking out of my own experience with my own motherboard.. I just mentioned it because it's worth testing :)

Flashgod
28-09-2017, 09:27
After another day of testing i found a somewhat okayish setting for framerate consistency on my 1080ti extreme. All that talk about getting 90fps with ridiculous high SS settings looks pretty unrealistic to me, people can't tell the difference between reprojection and asynchronous time warp kicking in, they are basically running the game at 45fps all the time and maybe occasionally getting 90fps on less populated locations on a track. I spend a day testing different tracks and watching the Steam VR performance graph and found out that it's better to aim for a steady 45fps framerate with reprojection always on (asynchronous and interleaved reprojection set to off). One thing i missed since day one is setting Vsync to on, this helps with steady 45fps. Now i can set Steam VR SS setting to 1.5 and get some single frame drops from time to time that are not reported in the headset and aren't noticeable during playing. Now the main CPU thread and GPU are running around 90-100% usage on critical locations and go down to ~60% on less detailed parts of the track. And the most important thing, i don't see the reprojection switching on and off anymore, what seems to cost a lot more performance (CPU and GPU where clipping on 110-140% usage until i made these changes).

dantestyle
28-09-2017, 09:36
After another day of testing i found a somewhat okayish setting for framerate consistency on my 1080ti extreme. All that talk about getting 90fps with ridiculous high SS settings looks pretty unrealistic to me, people can't tell the difference between reprojection and asynchronous time warp kicking in, they are basically running the game at 45fps all the time and maybe occasionally getting 90fps on less populated locations on a track. I spend a day testing different tracks and watching the Steam VR performance graph and found out that it's better to aim for a steady 45fps framerate with reprojection always on (asynchronous and interleaved reprojection set to off). One thing i missed since day one is setting Vsync to on, this helps with steady 45fps. Now i can set Steam VR SS setting to 1.5 and get some single frame drops from time to time that are not reported in the headset and aren't noticeable during playing. Now the main CPU thread and GPU are running around 90-100% usage on critical locations and go down to ~60% on less detailed parts of the track. And the most important thing, i don't see the reprojection switching on and off anymore, what seems to cost a lot more performance (CPU and GPU where clipping on 110-140% usage until i made these changes).

But the issue here Flashgod, is that with a 1070 on iRacing or Assetto Corsa, I can get MUCH sharper better image, and consistent frame rate.. I get 90fps a lot of the time with occasional drops where my reprojection kicks in. I expect just as much if not more from PC2, since it has been built very much with VR in mind, and from the reviews it appears thats what others can get when they don't have the kind of problems I'm experiencing.

SO, if I can reasonably expect that with my 1070, you should expect even better things with your 1080ti

dantestyle
28-09-2017, 10:03
Because some mobo can't handle all the power to all the USBs. Unplugging some USB devices restores full power to the other peripherals that needs them. And the GPU needs a lot of power aswell, so I'm guessing it's not getting enough power if the USB is draining all of it.. I'm speaking out of my own experience with my own motherboard.. I just mentioned it because it's worth testing :)

I thought this was a really good idea worth trying, especially since I'm on a laptop - I've experienced choppy performance before if I was using bluetooth headphones + bluetooth mouse non vr games with a previou gaming laptop, so it's not outragous...

Anyway, no dice for me after testing unfortunately.

pinnedin5th
28-09-2017, 10:38
Hi, i'd just like to add the my perfromace is ok. (i7 7700k 4.6ghz, 16gb of Ram, GTX 1080). It's just that in the VIVE things in the distance look crap. The cockpit of the car and anthing about 10ft outside it look ok. but things in the distance are blury to the point where i'd rather play with a screen than in VR. It looks fantastic on screen. Not sure if this is just a limitation of current gen VR or not but google earth VR, steam home etc. dont seem to have this issue. Have tried various suggestions in this thread.

Flashgod
28-09-2017, 10:54
But the issue here Flashgod, is that with a 1070 on iRacing or Assetto Corsa, I can get MUCH sharper better image, and consistent frame rate.. I get 90fps a lot of the time with occasional drops where my reprojection kicks in. I expect just as much if not more from PC2, since it has been built very much with VR in mind, and from the reviews it appears thats what others can get when they don't have the kind of problems I'm experiencing.

SO, if I can reasonably expect that with my 1070, you should expect even better things with your 1080ti

Well, iRacing and AC are using older engines that are less based on pixel shader action and detail on image and geometry fidelity, so it's pretty logical to me that they are running faster and you are able to crank up super sampling. You can take any old game and run it on current gen GPU's and they will run so much faster than on the old hardware gen on their launch day. I can only repeat myself again and again, Nvidia did build the 10XX series with onboard features to optimize VR (VRworks), it's a waste to not use them in a AAA game like PCars2. Even the 9XX series already supports some of them. The only official post i could find about that matter was for PCars1 and VR, where Ian Bell said "We are looking into it..." (2016). Since then i never heard of it again. Sadly i was actually expecting PCars2 to support this, because it's the most logical thing to do for a developer, this game rocks so much in VR, it could be the spearhead of VR gaming.

Eddy555
28-09-2017, 11:30
Hi, i'd just like to add the my perfromace is ok. (i7 7700k 4.6ghz, 16gb of Ram, GTX 1080). It's just that in the VIVE things in the distance look crap. The cockpit of the car and anthing about 10ft outside it look ok. but things in the distance are blury to the point where i'd rather play with a screen than in VR. It looks fantastic on screen. Not sure if this is just a limitation of current gen VR or not but google earth VR, steam home etc. dont seem to have this issue. Have tried various suggestions in this thread.
I find that with low SuperSampling, that's why I've had to up this to 2.0

dantestyle
28-09-2017, 22:30
Well, iRacing and AC are using older engines that are less based on pixel shader action and detail on image and geometry fidelity, so it's pretty logical to me that they are running faster and you are able to crank up super sampling. You can take any old game and run it on current gen GPU's and they will run so much faster than on the old hardware gen on their launch day. I can only repeat myself again and again, Nvidia did build the 10XX series with onboard features to optimize VR (VRworks), it's a waste to not use them in a AAA game like PCars2. Even the 9XX series already supports some of them. The only official post i could find about that matter was for PCars1 and VR, where Ian Bell said "We are looking into it..." (2016). Since then i never heard of it again. Sadly i was actually expecting PCars2 to support this, because it's the most logical thing to do for a developer, this game rocks so much in VR, it could be the spearhead of VR gaming.

I understand what you're getting at... And it's not a terrible argument in any way..

I just disagree that this is what we should expect..

1) I've been following the reviews the pre-launch VR version with many reviewers, none of them commented that the VR experience was visually markedly worse to the point of being very unpleasant. Not ONE of them said this.

2) I'm not even running supersampling in iRacing or Assetto Corsa to achieve the level im talking about and anti-aliasing is onlyi at 2x in those, so nothing extreme there either.

3) I highly doubt these very competent developers made a game like PC2 and didn't make it so that it was visually pleasing enough to play in VR as its competitors were. IT has clearly received an eye for detail that has been extremely well received on the whole.

4) Many others with computers at the same level or lower than mine are able to run at much higher settings than me (I run on the absolute lowest, with SS and 1, and reprojection on , and I still get stuttering about 15 times a lap when other cars are on the road).

Sure I could write this off as the developers just didn't optimise well for VR, but based on the reviews I've been reading, that's completely wrong.

rosko
28-09-2017, 22:42
Make sure there is no post AA as that will look blurry in VR. I don't understand really this game is by far the best optimized game in vr for me.

giharding
29-09-2017, 07:15
It is very frustrating, I've clocked about 20hours now much of which has been spent trying different settings and all the tips mentioned in all these types of threads and cannot get it looking and playing decent. For me, always on reprojection makes things even worse for some reason...

Flashgod
29-09-2017, 08:16
Smart solutions for VR are already provided, GTX 10XX have onboard hardware that is waiting to be used.

check this: https://youtu.be/nlbNmts3iek?t=162

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/lensmatchedshading
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/multiresshading
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/singlepassstereo

PCars2 right now is doing the brute force method, it just renders 2 complete frames for both eyes which is a total waste of gpu performance. Over one third of a frame can't be seen in a headset and it's still rendered. With these optimizations it could gain performance around 20-30% and we would be able to run at much higher SS settings to counter the low resolution of todays headsets.

Flashgod
29-09-2017, 08:33
It is very frustrating, I've clocked about 20hours now much of which has been spent trying different settings and all the tips mentioned in all these types of threads and cannot get it looking and playing decent. For me, always on reprojection makes things even worse for some reason...

Make sure to untick Asynchronous Reprojection and Interleaved Reprojection before you trying to run Always On Reprojection. Ingame setting Vsync must be enabled too. This forces the game to run at 45fps at all time.

sherpa25
29-09-2017, 11:05
Make sure to untick Asynchronous Reprojection and Interleaved Reprojection before you trying to run Always On Reprojection. Ingame setting Vsync must be enabled too. This forces the game to run at 45fps at all time.

What's the equivalent of Oculus' ASW, is it this 'Always On Reprojection'? Or is it 'Asynchronous Reprojection'?

giharding
29-09-2017, 11:34

Thanks, def had both unchecked but can't remember whether I had vsync on or off. Will check later.

nzjono
29-09-2017, 12:24
I have both the Vive and the Rift. To be honest the Rift is far better with distant detail than the Vive. The colours are not quite as bright though but the details at range is noticeably better which in a driving game is advantageous. For driving games and flight sims I only use the Rift now, the Viive is still more fun for roomscale shenanigans though

Usvart
29-09-2017, 14:17
Tried very much but with my gtx1060 I see in the steamvr heuristic this red graph. This means I run only with 45 fps, correct?

But what I don't understand. When there is only 90fps or 45 fps and nothing between; why do I feel the game runs worse with better graphic settings?

Flashgod
29-09-2017, 15:14
Check the graphs, with asynchronous reprojection only, the GPU usage is way higher than with Always ON Reprojection only. I did hit 140% in former tests (SS testing), which is pretty high and stressful for the GPU.

Usvart
29-09-2017, 18:57
With ASR off and RP always on a have unplayable stutter. The GPU graph seems to have still puffer but the CPU graph indicates framedrops.

dantestyle
29-09-2017, 23:44
If I have Always on Reprojection, and the other two reprojection settings turned off (in VIVE) - Then my framerate is choppy as death.

Flashgod
30-09-2017, 00:25
What are your Nvidia Driver settings?

these are mine... (in german, sorry)

dantestyle
30-09-2017, 02:35
I just use global settings myself

Flashgod
30-09-2017, 09:32
Power management should be on max. power and Texture filtering - Quality on Highest Performance (don't know the exact translation)

dantestyle
30-09-2017, 10:00
Power management should be on max. power and Texture filtering - Quality on Highest Performance (don't know the exact translation)

HOLY CRAPPOLA! That fixed it!

So I'v enever touched my stock nvidia control panel settings, i just left them at default, so I'm guessing other users with my issue probably have these defaults as well. Now THIS is how the game is spposed to look.. there goes any chance I have of sleeping tonight, thank you so much good sir.

giharding
30-09-2017, 10:13
If I have Always on Reprojection, and the other two reprojection settings turned off (in VIVE) - Then my framerate is choppy as death.

Same here. It's unplayable

Flashgod
30-09-2017, 10:14
@dantestyle
Alright, cool. Basically you were running on Energy Saving and used a Texture Filtering Quality Level that you won't be able to see in VR.

FPSNige
30-09-2017, 16:26
Weighing in here aswell. Elite Dangerous Really nailed VR for me and I had extremely high hopes for PCars 2 VR. But in the VIVE the experience is ruined by the distant image quality.

Specs
4790K at 4.7GHZ.
Maximus Hero 7
16gb Trident X
AMD Fury

Genius69
30-09-2017, 19:19
same problem here, fps acceptable at 90 fps but the quality of the graphics in particular in the distance is horrible.
Modified Nvidia Driver and deleted.xml but it does not improve, the more you get up and the more you look bad.

At this point I think it is a graphic filter that degrades the distant graphics.

Tested, without applying any filters, the FPSs are fluid and the distant view is clearly staggered and grainy, applying the MSAA filter improves the staircase but the distant view remains blurred and clearly the FPSs decrease.

Strangely when compared to AC without any applied filters the overall graphics and especially in the far distance is much sharper.

Applying the super-sampling to 5.0 on Steam vr the problem distant image improves but clearly the very low FPS.

changed super sampling to 2.0 in PC2 but it does not change anything.

dantestyle
01-10-2017, 11:13
You know I hate to have to take it back, but it's still no right.....

I've played about 5 hours worth, and it's still quite jittery. If I turn everything on lowest, I still can't get 90fps at all EVER. And at lowest settings game still isn't ideal.

The changes I made certainly helped, but didn't fix which is sad.

Genius69
01-10-2017, 17:26
actually thinking that I think it is rather a basic texture problem that somehow the VR does not handle well.
Try it when you put the textures to the maximum they do not improve with the average texture.

dantestyle
02-10-2017, 01:44
Okay, here's the deal for some comparison....

If I run PC2 with the following settings (which can't even make 45fps, usually around 30fps):
Texture res high
texture filtering 16x
msaa high
vive super sampling 1.5
car detail high
track detail high

It's still WAY LESS sharp and pleasing to look at than iRacing which runs at 90fps with occasional reprojection stepping in 1x or so per lap with with:
Anisostropic filtering 8x
MSAA 2x
Vive supersampling 1.0

ANOTHER way to look at this is:

PCARS2 with all the graphics settings to minimum / off still has a worse framerate than iRacing wtih the above settings. iRacing with the above for me is silky smooth with an occasional jitter during a race. Pcars2 with no graphics enhancements and jitters all over the place, no to mention terrible to look at.

I'm certain this isn't what's intended. I really want to find someone who lives near me in Australia to see what they're seeing in comparison to what I'm seeing.

taz1004
02-10-2017, 03:03
I have both Rift and Vive as well and it looks significantly better and faster in Rift. This has to be PC2 because this is the only game that shows this much visual and performance gap. I can run Rift at pretty much max setting with SS at 2.0 and runs smooth. I have to turn everything to low for it to run smooth on Vive. And at high setting, Vive still looks bad with horrible frame rate. Changing SS for Vive seems to do nothing.

Solved: Figured out the culprit. It was shadow detail setting in the game performance options. Turned it off and the jittering was gone (it was shadow in the distance that was jittering) and performance is smooth with everything else maxed. Rift doesn't have this issue with shadows. But come on. Vive users need shadows too. This has to be some sort of optimization issue with the game engine.

dantestyle
03-10-2017, 02:29
I wish the shadows were the culprit... I'm still getting stuttering a lot on basic settings.

Worth noting, my gpu tops out at about 75% during the game, never above, the cpu caps out about 68%.

Surely this means it's not hardware that's limiting causing the stuttering?

BigDad
25-11-2017, 12:39
I am/was about to buy a Vive tomorrow but after reading this entire thread think i may have to reconsider :(
Seriously , i'm crying ... I was SOOO excited to go to the store tomorrow and walk out with a Vive :(

Is this something that SMS have addressed in the next patch or even fixed since the last post in this thread as that was over a month ago ?

Please Please say its fixed !

rosko
25-11-2017, 12:51
You will have to wait i guess as they are being secretive regarding fixes.

Why not get a rift anyway? Much cheaper, more comfortable only advantage i see with vive is for large scale zoomscale which few if any games take advantage of.

BigDad
25-11-2017, 13:17
I was just hoping to go to the store a pick the Vive up , no one in Australia sells the Rift , it needs to be ordered from Prime or something !

MikeJeffroies
11-08-2018, 15:56
Has anyone here have the graphics dialed in well for the Vive PRO in PCars 2?

I had SS at 100% in SteamVR and 1.4 in PCars 2, and it worked ok for a bit during daytime tracks, but the moment I went into a nighttime race, everything was jagged and jittery.

Anyone assistance would be appreciated!

I have an 8700k at 4.8, 1080ti OC, 32gb ram, and running on an M2 SSD