PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Competitive Guidance

regillmore
25-09-2017, 04:11
After running a few time trials in PC2, I noticed there's a good chunk of data being gathered. For each track, and for each car on each track, there's a leader board, complete with player names, lap times, custom tuning, and (in most cases) a full on-track ghost. Neat!

New in PC2 (I think), if you add someone else's ghost to your own time trial, you can also copy their setup on the tuning menu. If I want to be competitive in time trials with a new car on a new track, my best bet is probably to skip the default tuning, and instead copy the record-holder's tuning, and start from there. After all, if there was a different turning that could run faster laps, then that tuning would be the record-holder's instead. Right?

I played with this functionality a bit, and got my Steam achievement, which was neat. "I Want To Know Your Secret". I'd do that for every race if I could. Problem is, copying and saving the current leader's tuning setup is time-consuming, and doing it for every car on every track would make for a lot of clutter in the tuning profile. There's also the problem of those profiles getting out of date, if someone tweaks their tuning differently and makes a better time.

Wouldn't it be neat to have a checkbox in the tuning setup options, to automatically copy the current leader's tuning? If I think I can do better, I can just uncheck it and do my own thing. This would also give another opportunity to promote the current record holder, as it could say something like "DeanGTR's tuning profile loaded" on the tuning menu.

---
As a bit more extreme idea, instead of it being a checkbox, why not make the best time's tuning automatically replace the default? Does a rookie racer have any reason not to start with an expert's tuning for their track? They would in real life, right? Also, new players' experiences could be significantly better in cases where the default tuning is poor.

---
For extra credit, how about making the driving line follow the current leader's ghost? There's room for improvement on the line location and color-speed indication for several tracks; why not let the players refine that for you, just by playing?

Thoughts? Race on!

MBullock
25-09-2017, 05:30
I don’t agree with quite a bit. My idea is it’s mine, I worked hard for it it, you shouldn’t just be handed it. Some tuners spend hours or days (sometimes longer) getting that setup dialed in for that car on that track. Now I’m not a mean person, but you don’t see (American) Football teams handing over the playbook to the other team before the start of the game. I think a lot comes down to the individual racer. I personally would like the option of hiding my setup so others couldn’t copy it on paticular tracks. For instance, my home track, my favorite car, I wanna run that leaderboard. If I’m number 1, I would keep it hidden. Other cars, other tracks, I’d prob leave it open.

I think until you’ve put extensive time into tuning a car for that extra tenth of a second, the laps you had to make, the replays and telemetry data you had to analyze, the adjustments you had to make, just to start over and do it all again. It’s hard to fully appreciate what it is. To automatically scrape the leaderboard setups in the background seems like it’s an insult to the guy (or gal) that perfected that lap, in my opinion.

regillmore
25-09-2017, 06:04
As a compromise, what about letting individuals choose whether their tuning setups are secret or open? I get where you're coming from, but plenty of players are happy to share. The auto-loaded tuning profile could simply be the highest-ranked open setup.

hkraft300
25-09-2017, 08:09
Does a rookie racer have any reason not to start with an expert's tuning for their track? They would in real life, right? Also, new players' experiences could be significantly better in cases where the default tuning is poor.

---

There isn't a reason. Example: verstappen last year copying Ricciardo's setups when he switched to RBR, eventually customising his own setup.

However he is a professional.

For a rookie it might actually be detrimental if the car/setup is difficult to drive or not to the rookie driver's style.

Default setups in the game from what I've seen are easy to drive quick. Downforce, gearing, tire pressure and compound changes are basic but the most time a rookie driver will gain is by good driving technique and racing line. This will gain seconds. The tuning is more for the tenths and hundredths.

Personally, I'm happy to share setups. Help the community become more competitive. If another racer uses my setup and is successful that's a great compliment to me. I'm not that fast myself and never top leaderboards. I'm also mostly tuning for race/endurance conditions and not TT queens.

MBullock
25-09-2017, 14:37
As a compromise, what about letting individuals choose whether their tuning setups are secret or open? I get where you're coming from, but plenty of players are happy to share. The auto-loaded tuning profile could simply be the highest-ranked open setup.

Yes, that would be a compromise. Like I said. There are many people (myself included) that would share many of our setups. But if I’m setting up for a series that’s going to last 6 weeks, I’d like the option to keep that hidden until the series was over, especially if it’s a sponsored e-sport where there could be money on the line.

regillmore
25-09-2017, 16:28
Default setups in the game from what I've seen are easy to drive quick. Downforce, gearing, tire pressure and compound changes are basic but the most time a rookie driver will gain is by good driving technique and racing line. This will gain seconds. The tuning is more for the tenths and hundredths.

The example that stood out to me most was in PC1, trying to make a reasonable time trial time in the Ford Zakspeed on Bathurst. Untuned players have an impossible disadvantage, simply because tuned cars have custom longer gearing for the straights. Maybe I could dig into the tuning and try to figure that out, but if every new player that wants a competitive time has to go through that, what about making the correct gearing an option from the start? While my original idea would do more than solve that specific problem, it would solve many other problems like it as well. Not everyone finds tuning fun or interesting, including myself, and it's no fun to be stuck at a huge disadvantage because of it.

It's a racing game; I just want to do fast laps. :)

Eric Rowland
25-09-2017, 17:15
Back in 1973 at Team Lotus, Ronnie Peterson used to have Emerson Fittipaldi's setup put on his car. Then, he would often go out and beat Emmo's times after all the work he had done. This infuriated Emmo! Later in 1978, Mario Andretti would setup his Lotus 79 and use stagger in his setups to get an advantage over Ronnie. That was Mario's edge. So, sharing setups could get you beat.......

JM24
04-10-2017, 12:32
Is there anyway to hide your setup in time trial?

ApexSight
04-10-2017, 13:42
A setup for a world record is probably too hard to drive in a race. A "qualification" setup is very sharp, perhaps it can only work with little gasoline, or new tires, or only a few turns before they overheat.

Killer Bob
04-10-2017, 14:51
Copying somebody's setup doesn't mean you will automatically do faster time. I did TT at Le Mans in the McLaren gt1, i copied the setup from the fastest guy in same car (he's 4th on leaderboard overall, with a wheel) and i couldn't set any kind of time with it - i stuggled to even get a clean lap. Gave up with his setup and reset to default and put myself into 14th on the board, with my controller. I'm pretty happy with that, still 8 seconds off world record but i reckon i could close that by a couple of seconds (I have no idea how the world record guys can go so damn fast...its incredible, and soul destroying, oh well).

Anyways, i still think its good to share.

Peace.

(gamertag = ol Spaceman lo )