PDA

View Full Version : No speed perception

Dirtryder
25-09-2017, 07:03
Does anyone else get no perception of speed with pc2. Pc1 had a great tool to adjust this for the distance from the screen you were and the size screen but pc2 only has a speed setting to change the viewing angle. I have changed this and still have little speed perception. Is this on the list to fix?

seb02
25-09-2017, 07:12
Does anyone else get no perception of speed with pc2. Pc1 had a great tool to adjust this for the distance from the screen you were and the size screen but pc2 only has a speed setting to change the viewing angle. I have changed this and still have little speed perception. Is this on the list to fix?

Yes i noticed that too. i hope it will be improved

Dirtryder
25-09-2017, 07:30
Maybe I spoke too soon. There is an adjustment for camera angle for each view. Go in to options then camera and increase the angle for the view you use. Seems to help.

Madwak55
25-09-2017, 08:36
Maybe I spoke too soon. There is an adjustment for camera angle for each view. Go in to options then camera and increase the angle for the view you use. Seems to help.

Yup that works for me, increased the bonnet cam to 95 and definitely got a better feeling of the speed.

could_do_better
25-09-2017, 08:43
Wider FOV gives better speed perception, but if you can learn to keep it narrow you'll find you can read the elevation changes and you hit the braking points far better.

Next time you a passenger in a car limit your FOV with your hands and your sense of speed will be completely different. It's quite a strange thing. I have a 43inch TV that I sit 90cm from. I'm faster with narrower FOV (even though it feels really slow) and i can manage it well now we have the spotter arrows to let me know who's around me.

Madwak55
25-09-2017, 09:11
I don't want to play a racing game and feel I'm going really slow, I want to feel like I'm tramping along at a fair lick when I'm in a fast car.
BTW do you wear blinkers when driving in real life cos I don't know about you but my real life FOV is much wider than 70 degrees?

Sankyo
25-09-2017, 09:21
I don't want to play a racing game and feel I'm going really slow, I want to feel like I'm tramping along at a fair lick when I'm in a fast car.
BTW do you wear blinkers when driving in real life cos I don't know about you but my real life FOV is much wider than 70 degrees?

Well the point is that some people like their monitor show what they'd see if they'd look through such an area through the windscreen of a real car, but that comes at a cost of speed perception when using just one screen. Having your whole world view compressed into a single screen doesn't look real for them, especially when having a full cockpit with your steering wheel aligned with the screen.

Civic
25-09-2017, 09:32
I think the speed perception is great.

But I have my rig and settings set so my perspective is realistic and I have always thought that is important.

In PCARS 2 I have also found the movement settings to be useful and I think the animated movements are mostly very good.

I have World movement set to 70 and g force set to 10 and all other movements turned off. My only complaint in regards to animated movement is not all cars roll like I'd expect with the L49 being one of the most disappointing cars in this regard.

Madwak55
25-09-2017, 09:42
I have a full cockpit aligned 4 feet away from a 60 inch screen so I need a larger field of view to get the feeling of speed, the default view made me think I was driving a HGV with regards to speed ��

marcosanta8
25-09-2017, 09:43
I made a video yesterday for those who are not familiar with FOV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jteL3lZSex8

Zenzic
25-09-2017, 09:56
You can calculate the correct FoV for your setup here:

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

Advantage of a correct FoV is speed and distances feel natural. As such it should be easier to judge braking points, turn-in etc. However, as mentioned in the bottom of the calculator FoV is not the first thing to get right if you're too far from the screen or if your screen is too small.

I'm 50 cm away from a 40" inch screen. My calculated FoV is 82. I use 90 to get my left mirror into view without having to move the virtual seat too far back.

Civic
25-09-2017, 11:21
Just a tip to people who don't know this. If you want to become a faster and more precise driver a larger FOV is not what you want. I'm not going to try and convince you because it might help you beat me.

Mirrors should never be a reason for a larger FOV when you have the option of a virtual mirror.

By the way, I can touch my display while holding my wheel, that's how close it is.

Zenzic
25-09-2017, 11:30
Mirrors should never be a reason for a larger FOV when you have the option of a virtual mirror.

Oh sure they are. There's a difference between being close to the perfect value or using 100 degrees when 50 is your mathematically correct value. How tired I'm feeling and whether I'm sitting upright or slouching would already affect my FoV by a few degrees. Besides, I'd rather add a few degrees than having any part of the HUD enabled during races.

porkovich
25-09-2017, 11:30
Hm, we don't have seat positioning, only FOV, on the PS4 ? Or does i miss something ?

Zenzic
25-09-2017, 11:41
You can assign six buttons to change your seat: forward, backward, up, down, angle up, angle down. See the in-game settings. I think it's under controls > key assignments or something similar.

Civic
25-09-2017, 14:21
Oh sure they are. There's a difference between being close to the perfect value or using 100 degrees when 50 is your mathematically correct value. How tired I'm feeling and whether I'm sitting upright or slouching would already affect my FoV by a few degrees. Besides, I'd rather add a few degrees than having any part of the HUD enabled during races.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but my FOV is currently 58 and when I was on a smaller monitor my FOV was 45 for years. In my rig I cant comfortable move my head more than 3 degrees, that's nothing and my rig is really exaggerated because it isn't possible to sit closer than I do.

I'd prefer to not race against people who refuse to use a relative box and virtual mirror with too much FOV. The relative box and virtual mirror are without a doubt some of the most significant contributors to safer online racing sim racing has seen.

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 14:26
old video, and its iRacing, but the theory behind it is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYeiAHsdr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYeiAHsdr0

DansGTR
25-09-2017, 15:01
You can assign six buttons to change your seat: forward, backward, up, down, angle up, angle down. See the in-game settings. I think it's under controls > key assignments or something similar.

I did notice this in assignments.Does this only work in the cockpit view or in all views? I hope it works in all. it will make the views much better! I also noticeed when in chase cam, the field of view when speeding gets closer to the car rather than farther as you speed up.

DansGTR
25-09-2017, 15:06

Thank you for the video. I know you are using PC but want to know if this will work on console if i can map the bottons to the D-pad to adjust the seat position? Will this work only in cockpit view or chase cam also? Thanks again! Forza Napoli...

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 15:12
you should be able to assign it to a d-pad. you might also be able to plug in a USB keyboard or number pad and assign it that way. I know you could on PS4 with PC1...not sure how it will work with XB1 and PC2 tho...

vintageGeo
25-09-2017, 15:42
I agree the movement settings are very important, just look at how boring assetto corsa is

Martinbooker
25-09-2017, 19:32
You can calculate the correct FoV for your setup here:

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

Bah can't believe after all this time this site still runs on flash lol. iPad says no

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 19:33
Bah can't believe after all this time this site still runs on flash lol. iPad says no

give me your specs and I'll run the numbers real quick if needed

Martinbooker
25-09-2017, 19:44
give me your specs and I'll run the numbers real quick if needed

Awesome ty
Screen is 80" across the diagonal and I sit 65" away from it.

Edit: 80" (just re measured )

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 19:59
Awesome ty
Screen is 80" across the diagonal and I sit 65" away from it.

Edit: 80" (just re measured )

inches or CM? (USA guy here ;) )

Civic
25-09-2017, 20:03
The calculator on Ed's site is also suitable for PCARS and isn't flash. If anyone finds useful information on Ed's site throw him a small donation to help with his hosting and time.

http://www.edracing.com/edr/FOV.php

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 20:05
need the horizontal width of the monitor for the Ed link. an 80" diagonal monitor will be smaller when measured width wise.

~55-57deg.

Martinbooker
25-09-2017, 20:05
inches or CM? (USA guy here ;) )

Inches :-)

Martinbooker
25-09-2017, 20:07
need the horizontal width of the monitor for the Ed link. an 80" diagonal monitor will be smaller when measured width wise.

~55-57deg.

/me measures......

71" wide

AbeWoz
25-09-2017, 20:09
/me measures......

71" wide

57deg FOV

Martinbooker
25-09-2017, 20:10
Just found this one here giving me 57deg as well, thanks all

http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de

Civic
25-09-2017, 20:44
Sorry guys, I missed where he said diagonal.

blausven
25-09-2017, 22:18

And, how to get this done in PS4? External keyboard?

Civic
25-09-2017, 22:24
You can assign the settings to your controller. I've read that there is no keyboard support for the PS4 version which is disappointing.

Zenzic
26-09-2017, 07:51
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but my FOV is currently 58 and when I was on a smaller monitor my FOV was 45 for years. In my rig I cant comfortable move my head more than 3 degrees, that's nothing and my rig is really exaggerated because it isn't possible to sit closer than I do.

I'd prefer to not race against people who refuse to use a relative box and virtual mirror with too much FOV. The relative box and virtual mirror are without a doubt some of the most significant contributors to safer online racing sim racing has seen.

Oh I'm right with you on the importance of using a correct FoV. What I'm saying however is that I'm more than willing to deviate a few degrees if needed, for instance to get a better view of the side mirror. This is a whole different thing than using an FoV of 100 just to get a sense of speed when your actual FoV should be 50.

Martinbooker
26-09-2017, 08:00
I keep flip flopping and can't make up my mind with FOV. Can't help thinking that the mathematically correct setting is too restrictive on a single screen although I do get a more consistently faster lap time using it which proves the point I suppose.

I spent yesterday evening re-learning Fuji as I've only driven that back in the day on gt and never with a wheel and found the twisty bits a nightmare with such a restricted fov.

I reverted from my calculated 57 back out to 70, fired up the fezza 333, headed out to bannochbrae and can honestly say I've never had that much fun with my clothes on :-) I want it to be a simulator but not at the expense of fun if you know what I mean

blausven
26-09-2017, 08:01
Adjusting height and distance of the sit had no effect on the chase cam.

And there is no assignment for free camera in the options..

Civic
26-09-2017, 10:03
Oh I'm right with you on the importance of using a correct FoV. What I'm saying however is that I'm more than willing to deviate a few degrees if needed, for instance to get a better view of the side mirror. This is a whole different thing than using an FoV of 100 just to get a sense of speed when your actual FoV should be 50.

No prob. Yeah a few degrees is not an issue but I find going down can result in more consistent driving and you can go much further down without adversely effecting your performance than you can go up.

I've never been shocked by how many Aliens on iRacing have mentioned they raced on 45 which is the lowest iRacing will go.

DansGTR
26-09-2017, 14:17
You can assign the settings to your controller. I've read that there is no keyboard support for the PS4 version which is disappointing.

I gave this a try last night and it didnt work. I mapped the buttons to the d-pad(seat up, down, forward, back) and itonly worked when in cockpit mode. Chase camera didnt work. Also, it took away functions of the other things the d-pad was mapped for so i just left the move seat forward and rear mapped and mapped the lap time/hud back to right and left. chase cam deffinitely feels slower than the other cams and with FOV to high, the car looks stretched and the cam is way to close.

Civic
26-09-2017, 20:43
I only ever drive in Cockpit, car games don't interest me, I'm into race simulation.

Dirtryder
27-09-2017, 00:22
I would say that as everyone perceives things differently there would not be 1 fov setting that would suit all. What is perfect for 1 might be complete rubbish for someone else. My advice is experiment a fair bit with this and stick with what suits you. Do not trust any fov generators.

Civic
27-09-2017, 02:20
Of course there is not one FOV setting that will suit all, everyone's optimal setting will depend on the size of the display they are using and how far they are sitting from it. But there is only one correct FOV setting based on this information for each person and it has been shown many times that deviating too far from that correct perspective does adversely effect performance.

I attribute correct FOV as one of the most important factors in my ability to jump in an unfamiliar car and be fast. Just a moment ago I did a time trial at a track I did not know in a car I haven't driven before, I now have the fastest non tuned time at that track.

Dirtryder
27-09-2017, 03:19
I agree, but a fov calculator will not give you a good result. I entered the details for my setup and got a fov of 57. This is completely undrivable for me as I find 85 fantastic with roof cam. Other views work great for me at 70. What I'm saying is don't believe a fov calculator find your best setting by trial and error.

Martinbooker
27-09-2017, 07:19
I agree, but a fov calculator will not give you a good result. I entered the details for my setup and got a fov of 57. This is completely undrivable for me as I find 85 fantastic with roof cam. Other views work great for me at 70. What I'm saying is don't believe a fov calculator find your best setting by trial and error.

There's nothing to trust or distrust, an fov calculator will not give you a bad result or a good result. It will give you the mathematically correct result. This is like saying 10 x 2 = 19 or 20 or 21 depending on your preference.

Sorry dude, not being picky here but there's an important distinction to be made between correct fov and desirable fov

Civic
27-09-2017, 08:25

FOV calculation is irrelevant if you are driving in roof cam, use whatever looks pretty. FOV calculation and perspective adjustments are important for simulation when you are in cockpit mode.

Zenzic
27-09-2017, 08:28
^ If you mean that using the roof cam is already not the way to have a sim experience and because of that you might as well not bother with PoV, I can agree. However, a correct FoV will still give you the most accurate representation of the track in terms of perceived width and depth, regardless of what camera is being used.