PDA

View Full Version : Using TH8A as a handbrake

Djuvinile
25-09-2017, 10:35
For rallycross i would like to setup my TH8A as a handbrake (with sequential shifter plate).
I know for now the TH8A doesnt work directly connected to the ps4.
And if i connect it through the wheelbase its recognised as R1/R2. will it be possible to adress this as a handbrake once the usb problem is fixed?

Madwak55
25-09-2017, 12:53
I would also like this fixing as well if possible please because I use a Fanatec wheel and have no other option but to plug my TH8A into the PS4.

RaceFace85
25-09-2017, 15:55
Same problem here.

Djuvinile
26-09-2017, 08:13
No one who can answer this at this stage? :distant:

Djuvinile
26-09-2017, 08:14
Same problem here.

I like what you did there with the button box and dash screen mount btw.. :cool:

superdry
26-09-2017, 08:20
Nice button box, can I ask where you got it (or maybe how you made it?)

Djuvinile
26-09-2017, 08:51
I suppose its just a separate USB numpad?

Shewy92
26-09-2017, 09:21
For rallycross i would like to setup my TH8A as a handbrake (with sequential shifter plate).

It does work if you plug it straight into the PS4 but it is recognized as L1R1. I do the same thing on Dirt 4 and PCars 1 on PC (my PC is in storage so I had to get PCars 2 on PS4)

Djuvinile
26-09-2017, 10:01
It does work if you plug it straight into the PS4 but it is recognized as L1R1. I do the same thing on Dirt 4 and PCars 1 on PC (my PC is in storage so I had to get PCars 2 on PS4)

ah i didnt know that, but the fact that my steering wheel uses R1/R2 for the shift paddles/ doesnt make it easier. i hope there's a solution for this in the near future.

RaceFace85
26-09-2017, 10:01
Here is the link to the keypad labels:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45769-Keyboard-Stickers-Templates-designed-for-Project-CARS

Btw this also does not work with Project CARS 2 on PS4.

RaceFace85
28-09-2017, 06:47
Is there a chance in future updates that an external plugged in TH8A is not fixed as L1 and R1 buttons so that we can use it as an handbrake without loosing manual sequential shifting by the paddles?

Djuvinile
29-09-2017, 09:00
Is there a chance in future updates that an external plugged in TH8A is not fixed as L1 and R1 buttons so that we can use it as an handbrake without loosing manual sequential shifting by the paddles?

i hope so.. i think its gonna be possible once button boxes get patched in as well

LPlates
29-09-2017, 09:14
PCars 2 not recognising USB keyboard and anything emulating one is known and coming in a patch. It should work as you intend once implemented.

Djuvinile
29-09-2017, 10:21
PCars 2 not recognising USB keyboard and anything emulating one is known and coming in a patch. It should work as you intend once implemented.

Would be awesome

Madhun67
29-09-2017, 11:08
yay! we soooo need this for rally x !!!!!!!!!!!!

DerSchizzinit
16-10-2017, 21:20
For Me WRX makes absolutly no sense if the Handbrake is mapped to a Button on my steering wheel. Every proper Rally related Simcade ourdays does Feature multiple input devices for exactly doing this...Rally Car is = Steerable with handbrake and it has to be like that!

pa_pinkelman
17-10-2017, 07:27
So the patch didn't change this obviously. The "handbrake" is still recognized as L1/R1. Any word from SMS if this is going to be changed?

gufazi
17-10-2017, 11:51
I use the TH8A as a handbrake and here's how:

Leave the H-Gate in. Assign "Gear ?" as handbrake. I use gear 7 because I never use H-gate on 7 geared cars.

Its not perfect, but it works!

DerSchizzinit
17-10-2017, 17:38
Thats definitly no solution for me.

Dirtpunk
04-11-2017, 14:24
I have a solution for this based on Gufazi’s idea and it works perfectly!

I use 3rd Gear with Bungie cord, a few cable ties and a bit of foam to stop it springing into 4th - just as good as the sequential shifter plate.

How do I post an image to show you guys?

Neil Bateman
04-11-2017, 14:38
Found this video on TH8A used as a handbrake, its old so not sure if it will still work this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcX3NYMIO9E

Stevefoz
04-11-2017, 23:57
Unfortunately this only works for Pc and not console.

GUTTER-BOY
05-11-2017, 23:14
I modded my TH8A and use 4th gear as the handbrake. With my mod, I can quickly jump from handbrake to “H” pattern shifter in about 15 seconds. I now have small carabiner style clips where the springs attach to the shifter, but this gives you an idea about the mod.

GUTTER-BOY
05-11-2017, 23:17

Madhun67
06-11-2017, 11:34
^sweet setup.............................hope i can use the TH8A soon.

Steve-986
11-12-2017, 11:10
Does anybody know whether the functionality to use TH8A as a handbrake will be deployed in a future PCARS2 update?

Djuvinile
11-12-2017, 11:26
Havent heard or read anything about it.. i think the problem is the R1 and L1 buttons are hard coded from th8a to ps4..

JohnSchoonsBeard
11-12-2017, 14:49
I've found using the th8a as a digital switch handbrake as pretty worthless. For me it needs to be analogue or its not worth the switchover.

Has anyone got the Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS 4 flight stick for ps4? It would be interesting to know if it can be mapped as an analogue handbrake in the game. It is supposedly possible on PC. As it is designed for PS4 I'm hoping one of the axis can be mapped to the handbrake.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015ECTAK4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513003495&sr=8-2&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rps=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=thrustmaster+tflight+hotas+x&dpPl=1&dpID=41E9za2KzgL&ref=plSrch

Steve-986
11-12-2017, 15:52
How has it been made to work with DIRT? I read that if connecting it directly to the PS4 rather than via the wheel it recognises it as a different control device and thus can be mapped sperately.

Valid point about digital/analogue though, don’t really want a handbrake that operates like a light switch!!

Don’t really want to delve into the RX without a decent handbrake option.

DerSchizzinit
23-12-2017, 17:59
Dirt is able to recognize th8rs as separate Device, even those "so called" simcade games like wrc7,wrc6 and dirt 4 are able to do so

Djuvinile
29-01-2018, 14:59
I had to dust this topic off a bit, but there still isnt any problem solving answer to it so im bringing it back up.. (the answers for pc users unfortunately dont work for console users)

So the only thing im looking for is using my TH8a shifter as a handbrake in sequential mode on PS4, at the moment this doesnt work because R1 and L1 are "hardcoded?" for TH8a in sequential mode. So using it for a handbrake is simply impossible because it has the same buttons as your paddle shifter and cant be changed.

Is there anyone around who can give us (console users) a response if this will or could be an option in the future?

JohnSchoonsBeard
29-01-2018, 17:32
I had to dust this topic off a bit, but there still isnt any problem solving answer to it so im bringing it back up.. (the answers for pc users unfortunately dont work for console users)

So the only thing im looking for is using my TH8a shifter as a handbrake in sequential mode on PS4, at the moment this doesnt work because R1 and L1 are "hardcoded?" for TH8a in sequential mode. So using it for a handbrake is simply impossible because it has the same buttons as your paddle shifter and cant be changed.

Is there anyone around who can give us (console users) a response if this will or could be an option in the future?

It should also be possible to get Thrustmaster to allow the TH8A to be used as a proper analogue device by rotating the TH8A plate. It's not currently supported by Thrustmaster on ps4 but can be done on pc within the PC setup software.

I've got a similar request which is to also be able to map the handbrake to an analogue axis on the PS4 specific Thrustmaster HOTAS T Flight 4 stick. All fully supported on PC Project CARS but not on PS4 yet. Pretty please.

Djuvinile
30-01-2018, 08:54
that would indeed be even nicer, but i just want the TH8a to be recognized as something different than L1/R1. other racing games (on console) provide this feature. it doesnt even have to be analogue. It worked very well like this for me on dirt rally for example. but now the rallycross for me is a bit pointless when i have to press a button on the wheel for my handbrake wich kills immersion and also is not practical with a turning wheel. .

Djuvinile
30-01-2018, 14:10
I dont really get why there isnt any SMS/WMD answer since the start (25-09-2017) on this topic. I mean if it's not possible, than its just the way it is.. wont happen, book closed.
But i litterally didnt receive any kind, except solvings for PC from other forum users and a 7th gear workaround wich really isnt preferable.

RaceFace85
31-01-2018, 14:49
Serious rally racing is not possible without this option!
Should be a small effort for the developers to make this possible.

RaceFace85
31-01-2018, 14:55
I've found using the th8a as a digital switch handbrake as pretty worthless. For me it needs to be analogue or its not worth the switchover.

Has anyone got the Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS 4 flight stick for ps4? It would be interesting to know if it can be mapped as an analogue handbrake in the game. It is supposedly possible on PC. As it is designed for PS4 I'm hoping one of the axis can be mapped to the handbrake.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015ECTAK4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513003495&sr=8-2&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rps=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=thrustmaster+tflight+hotas+x&dpPl=1&dpID=41E9za2KzgL&ref=plSrch

It is not worthless. It is funny!

https://youtu.be/rvSsEIm7j3I

Digital for handbrake is enough. I use the handbrake for locking the rear tyres and not for slowering the car carefully.

Steve-986
31-01-2018, 18:03
Thank you for dusting this one off! I check in periodically to see if there's been any update but I'd sort of given up hope. I agree with you - recognition by the game of the TH8a shifter as a separate device like other games do would allow us to map it as a handbrake rather than it being fixed to L1/R1. RX will be so much better when I can run manual shift off my paddles and grab the stick to activate the handbrake just like you can with DIRT...... There just isn't a handbrake solution for console users who haven't gone down the Fanatec route.

Djuvinile
01-02-2018, 08:33
It is not worthless. It is funny!

https://youtu.be/rvSsEIm7j3I

Digital for handbrake is enough. I use the handbrake for locking the rear tyres and not for slowering the car carefully.

indeed this is the only thing i want as well.. to lock the rears when going through a RX circuit hairpin. slowing down by handbrake doesnt interest me at all , just a little tap (pull) should do the trick. so digital would be fine.

Djuvinile
01-02-2018, 08:40
I guess it has something to do with keys being hardcoded!? i also have a USB keypad buttonbox.
and u can assign every function to every key. but the arrow keys will always have viewing left and right hardcoded, whatever u set to it. So when i set my winscreen wipers to one of those keys it will activate the windscreen wipers but it will also look left for an instance (if 'arrow left' is set to it)

RaceFace85
03-02-2018, 07:54
I guess it has something to do with keys being hardcoded!? i also have a USB keypad buttonbox.
and u can assign every function to every key. but the arrow keys will always have viewing left and right hardcoded, whatever u set to it. So when i set my winscreen wipers to one of those keys it will activate the windscreen wipers but it will also look left for an instance (if 'arrow left' is set to it)

Not if you disable Num Lock. That is really strange.

Spitfire77
05-02-2018, 21:19
I'm here lurking around because I am getting interested in finally picking up pCARS 2 .. Figured I would see how it would be for some RallyX. If I cannot use my TH8A the same way I do in WRC 7, Dirt Rally, SLRE, and Dirt 4.. that is just a let down.

If the TH8A is plugged in via USB the ps4 can see it as a stand alone device, why would SM not use it that way? Is there some limitation with number of USB devices? Like is Keyboard support taking this option away?

I have a cheap DIY setup with an arcade joystick hooked up to the T300 static paddle shifter plugs so it maps to L1 and R1 and is used as a sequential shifter.. that way I can use my TH8A in sequential mode as a handbrake and still not have to use the paddles (I do not like paddles for rally)

I downloaded the demo and will be playing around a bit tomorrow to see, but from what you are all saying, it is not an option.

Steve-986
05-02-2018, 23:40
No one has been able to answer that exact point to date - presumably its not an easy fix or one where there is enough demand. I have tried plugging the TH8A via USB directly into the PS4 myself and it acted no differently to when it is connected to the wheel - L1 and R1 as per the paddles.

Be interested to hear how your trial goes with the demo. Hopefully we can get some sort of response from the devs on this at some point.

I'm here lurking around because I am getting interested in finally picking up pCARS 2 .. Figured I would see how it would be for some RallyX. If I cannot use my TH8A the same way I do in WRC 7, Dirt Rally, SLRE, and Dirt 4.. that is just a let down.

If the TH8A is plugged in via USB the ps4 can see it as a stand alone device, why would SM not use it that way? Is there some limitation with number of USB devices? Like is Keyboard support taking this option away?

I have a cheap DIY setup with an arcade joystick hooked up to the T300 static paddle shifter plugs so it maps to L1 and R1 and is used as a sequential shifter.. that way I can use my TH8A in sequential mode as a handbrake and still not have to use the paddles (I do not like paddles for rally)

I downloaded the demo and will be playing around a bit tomorrow to see, but from what you are all saying, it is not an option.

Djuvinile
06-02-2018, 10:19
No one has been able to answer that exact point to date - presumably its not an easy fix or one where there is enough demand. I have tried plugging the TH8A via USB directly into the PS4 myself and it acted no differently to when it is connected to the wheel - L1 and R1 as per the paddles.

Be interested to hear how your trial goes with the demo. Hopefully we can get some sort of response from the devs on this at some point.

I still think it's strange not one developer or moderator answered or replied to this thread in any way.

Steve-986
06-02-2018, 11:46
Especially considering its had over 2600 views which makes you think people are interested in the issue/possible resolution?!

I still think it's strange not one developer or moderator answered or replied to this thread in any way.

Djuvinile
06-02-2018, 15:10
Especially considering its had over 2600 views which makes you think people are interested in the issue/possible resolution?!

Exactly

Spitfire77
08-02-2018, 19:54

Not that I didn't believe you guys but I checked and yeah.. cannot get the TH8A mapped to anything except L1/R1 which is annoying. If I really wanted to bother.. I could use my home made sequential shifter as the handbrake and put rubber bands on the TH8A shifter in h-patern mode and try to map 3rd as shift down and 4th as shift up.. really dont think it would be worth the bother though.

No rush to get this game, will wait for it to go on a deep sale (sub $25) before I pick it up.

Djuvinile
12-02-2018, 10:17
Since im not seeing any answer coming soon on this topic. Im gonna make my own conclusions out of this... Its not possible (due to..?) and never going to happen.
Otherwise, i guess someone of sms/wmd would have reacted to a thread that has been viewed almost 3000 times.

Steve-986
12-02-2018, 14:47
Can we ‘tag’ the relevant dev (whoever that may be?!) on this forum to this thread to get a definitive yes or no??!

Since im not seeing any answer coming soon on this topic. Im gonna make my own conclusions out of this... Its not possible (due to..?) and never going to happen.
Otherwise, i guess someone of sms/wmd would have reacted to a thread that has been viewed almost 3000 times.

Djuvinile
13-02-2018, 11:21
Can we ‘tag’ the relevant dev (whoever that may be?!) on this forum to this thread to get a definitive yes or no??!

Be my guest.. but im quite sure its been noticed..

stunt929
17-02-2018, 16:11
Fishing for the handbrake with your thumb isn't fun not to mention almost impossible. Frustrating that there is no response.

RaceFace85
17-02-2018, 22:32
A button for the handbrake is just to hard to reach while steering with a wheel.

stunt929
20-02-2018, 13:39
Approaching 3500 views and 5 months time and still no response. I posted on another thread and was completely ignored. Just tried a different one so we'll see. I can't be the only person who hasn't played the rallycross cars since release because of this issue.

Djuvinile
20-02-2018, 15:11
Approaching 3500 views and 5 months time and still no response. I posted on another thread and was completely ignored. Just tried a different one so we'll see. I can't be the only person who hasn't played the rallycross cars since release because of this issue.

yeah im always keeping an eye on this thread just to see if theres any response or kind of answer..
i apreciate your effort. But as you said its about time someone comments on this with knowledge about this issue. in the meantime lets keep this thread at the top of this section :cool:

stunt929
22-02-2018, 13:11
yeah im always keeping an eye on this thread just to see if theres any response or kind of answer..
i apreciate your effort. But as you said its about time someone comments on this with knowledge about this issue. in the meantime lets keep this thread at the top of this section :cool:

Sounds good. Please give a yes or no answer.

Steve-986
22-02-2018, 13:54
I'm all for keeping this thread on top of the pile...

I was avoiding the RX like you as I want to be competitive and that means using the handbrake in some situations. Having watched/or read somewhere that the RX Lites don't really have the power for handbrake turns and that you're best off using a style more akin to circuit driving I gave it a go and it was fantastic. The most intense racing experience and best loose surface driving I've had since Colin McRae rally back in the day. I did map the handbrake to a spare button on the wheel but it was in no way practical, reinforcing our desire for a better solution. This taster of RX Lites has now frustrated me more that the true RX experience is 'unavailable' to us Thrustmaster console users.

I didn't own a wheel, rig or anything else until PCARS was launched. I've invested big time in this gaming experience and love it quite simply. I've experienced all the various issues over the 2.5 years and patiently waited as they've been patched and new DLC has arrived. PCARS 2 post patch 4 is one of the very best racing experiences you can have on console - just a shame it feels like I'm being penalised for backing Thrustmaster - a hardware partner of SMS at launch if I remember rightly?!

stunt929
22-02-2018, 14:29
Same here. I bought my t300rs, th8a, and tp3a because of project cars, now they've been sitting idle for months. I bought the full version of PC1 and PC2 and I know most of the content is tarmac racing but I bought PC2 for the rallycross cars. With the amount of settings/customization this game offers I would've expected this option to be available on day one. I was a little offended when the first dlc had rallycross cars and tracks but, no fix. I waited 5 months to start inquiring about this so sorry if I sound angry. Can we please have a yes or no reply on this issue.

Djuvinile
22-02-2018, 15:36
+1 also bought all my sim gear thanks to Project cars 1. my best spend 800 euros ever and still loving every moment with it..
As you said the RX cars dont need a handbrake necessarily (loving every track in snow with these cars) , but on the RX track you will benefit from it (especially on some joker parts).
i'm afraid if you want all issues gone you will just have to upgrade to PC. but a peripheral like the th8a should just be able to set as any keyboard key and were done.. i assume this cant be that hard.. but i must be wrong.

Zaskarspants
22-02-2018, 15:37
I have read all this thread.

I think the answer, unless I missed something, is earlier in the thread.

Set the lever to H pattern, reassign a gear to handbrake, get some rubber bands. Why isn't that acceptable to those who have an issue with this?

Djuvinile
22-02-2018, 15:43
I have read all this thread.
I think the answer, unless I missed something, is earlier in the thread.
Set the lever to H pattern, reassign a gear to handbrake, get some rubber bands. Why isn't that acceptable to those who have an issue with this?

Because we have used the same shifter in other games where it gives us the option to change it (dirt rally f.e.) and that works realy well! besides that i like to shift with it as well.. rubberbanding my complete shifter and removing it over and over is not a solution.

Zaskarspants
22-02-2018, 15:46
Because we have used the same shifter in other games where it gives us the option to change it (dirt rally f.e.) and that works realy well! besides that i like to shift with it as well.. rubberbanding my complete shifter and removing it over and over is not a solution.

I see.

I use rubber bands to swap my g920 shifter, it takes less than 30 seconds, have you tried the method suggested in the thread?

stunt929
22-02-2018, 17:37
I see.

I use rubber bands to swap my g920 shifter, it takes less than 30 seconds, have you tried the method suggested in the thread?

I still use mine for dirt rally and dirt 4. I wouldn't mind rigging it if I have to, just want to know if I have to.

Steve-986
22-02-2018, 19:21
For a game that's aiming (and doing a very good job at achieving) to be the ultimate driving simulator I don't think the we should have to resort to bungee straps and elastic bands around our £129.99 (Thrustmaster RRP) gearshift add-on to achieve functionality that has been written in to other driving simulators (feeling generous).

I still use mine for dirt rally and dirt 4. I wouldn't mind rigging it if I have to, just want to know if I have to.

Spitfire77
22-02-2018, 19:37
I agree we should not have to change what has become the norm for rally/rallyx games. GTS does not support it either but their Rally handling is so far out in left field I don't even think a handbrake would be any good or fun so no body is even asking them for it.

Would be nice to just know if there is some limitation from the console where they cannot have both keyboard support and the additional mapping for the USB attached TH8A or if they just did not program it in. I could understand them choosing keyboard input support over alternate mapping for the TH8A.

With all the other rally titles I have to play that work the same way, I am not going to come up with something different just for pCARS 2.

My TH8A has a short shift setup on it and mapping 4th as a handbrake with rubberbands or springs will be a pain.. I have it setup rather stiff too and it will feel like a clunk not a natural resistance like it does when I have it in sequential mode.

stunt929
22-02-2018, 20:58
I agree too. My question is, how do we get an answer? Djuvinile started this thread 5 moths ago and still nothing.

Djuvinile
27-02-2018, 09:25
I dont know either. But not like this apparantly, some posts in other threads didnt get any answer to them about this subject as well. So i guess just no one knows.
Does anyone have some suggestions where we could post this to get some attention on this subject?

Spitfire77
27-02-2018, 19:55
Maybe make a post in the ps4 support section? It is not bug - but more of a feature request.

Steve-986
05-03-2018, 14:34
cz4rek has started a thread for this in the PS4 Tech Support section - lets support his request

Djuvinile
07-03-2018, 16:16
cz4rek has started a thread for this in the PS4 Tech Support section - lets support his request

Nice, i will

XM 1
08-03-2018, 12:03
not sure if this will help you Djuvinile, but i just build a button box and used two ports one for the handbrake and one for the sequential shifter and just the whole thing as a usb keyboard ;)

Djuvinile
12-03-2018, 15:16
not sure if this will help you Djuvinile, but i just build a button box and used two ports one for the handbrake and one for the sequential shifter and just the whole thing as a usb keyboard ;)

Im interested, but not quite sure what u are saying.. i have a (numpad) buttonbox as well, and i know i can set one of those buttons as handbrake, but that wont be very practical, plus i just want to use my (quite expensive) shift/brake peripheral in the way its meant to.

im actually a bit annoyed by the fact no one (SMS/WMD) has given an answer about this at all.

I'd actually be pleased with an answer like: "Sorry guys we looked into it and due to design choices as well as console limitations we cant implement this much wanted feature.." (well not pleased..but at least we know)

Im sure there still will be plenty of patches or fixes to make this sim even better, but please just give us some whereabouts regarding this issue.

Djuvinile
12-03-2018, 15:18

you mean with a hub? how are you doing this? can the TH8A somehow be seen as a keyboard? this would fix it for me i guess.

Djuvinile
27-03-2018, 07:03
Someone? no not yet? ok.... :(:confused:

Gr8_Lakes
06-04-2018, 04:23
I've actually been holding off on purchasing a second TH8A to use as a dedicated handbrake. All the workarounds mentioned are just meh to me. I won't spend $180, fabricate a second steel mount for my rig, fabricate a new custom shift plate for a new shifter, and strap rubber bands on, when there could (possibly) be some proper coding done to solve the issue. Hope this gets some support - I'm sure Thrustmaster would like to see it too.

Djuvinile
13-04-2018, 10:21
See we are at 5.0 now.. Surely the handbrake function was added now hasnt it?

Djuvinile
13-04-2018, 10:24
And if i connect it through the wheelbase its recognised as R1/R2. will it be possible to adress this as a handbrake once the usb problem is fixed?

7 months ago i asked this question... and there hasnt been any answer from a single moderator or developer.
I'm starting to feel a little bit dissapointed... (thats not to early is it?)

stunt929
13-04-2018, 20:21
I'm wondering what the point of this forum is for as well.

PocketZeven
15-04-2018, 16:42
I posted below in another forum regarding handbrake support. The only way at the moment to have both seq and handbrake in Pcars if you 2x TH8a or TH8a+TSS handbrake Sparco mod is if you use 1x TH8a in H mode and use some kind of rubber band mod. Like stated below the TH8a is configured in seq mode as L1 and R1 to mirror the paddleshifters, so it wouldn't be possible to map it otherwise.

I contacted TM a few times and they confirm they are working on "official" PS4 support. That will mean that the TM will be mapped as a separate "handbrake" device ingame. Dirt4 and GTsport already detect this and are "unofficially" supported. I suspect that Pcars 2 will follow soon or are working on it.

"I recently bit the bullet and bought the TSS handbrake Sparco mod, even though there is no "official" PS4 support. (It was this or another TH8a shifter)After a short round of testing with Dirt 4, dirt rally, SLRE, Gt sport, WRC 7 and Pcars2 I am happy to say that it works out of the box!

I have not made any firmware updates and just plugged it into the wheelbase Din connector and the TH8a into the ps4 usb port and it actually works really great with games which support USB devices, however support is varied:

Dirt 4 & GT sport
The TSS handbrake is detected in both SEQ and handbrake mode in both games. In Seq mode it acts like a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as r1 and r2. In handbrake mode it is recognised as a separate (handbrake) device. GTsport confirms support for the TSS handbrake on their official website. (I cannot post the link here)

Dirt Rally, SLRE & Pcars 2
The device is not recognised in handbrake mode, but works in seq mode. It is detected as a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as L1 and R1. Sadly it isn't possible to use both the TH8a and TSS in seq mode. Since both the handbrake and shift paddles are mapped to to L1 and R1 you cannot map the handbrake as a handbrake and still use the paddles for sequential shifting. There are 2 workarounds:

1. You can use a TH8a in H mode for shifting and map R1 as a handbrake. The TH8a is mapped in these games as gear1,2 etc. The downside is you wont have sequential shifting available. You can setup the TSS handbrake as a handbrake and keep the toggle switch on seq. That way a handbrake is mapped as R1.

2. You can use a rubberband mod to use the TH8a in H mode as a handbrake and use the TSS as a seq shifter (R1 and L1). Either map gear 4 or perhaps gear 2 as handbrake in the settings.
example of a rubber band mod:

WRC 7
Sadly this game only supports 1 TH8a connected to the base, also only in sequential mode and there is no support for a separate usb device. The TSS is detected and mapped as L1 and R1. You can either map sequential shifting to another button and R1 as a handbrake, use automatic shifting and map R1 as handbrake or use the TSS as shifter and use a different button as a handbrake (default).

With the 2 newest games on the list already supporting the handbrake I suspect official support is coming soon and future games will support the game.

sidenote: I use a powered 7-port USB hub for: Wheel, cpx adaptor, TH8a, Sony BT headphones, PSVR.

Hopefully this answers some questions some people have who are interested to buy the TSS handbrake sparco mod on PS4. "

hmmsk
16-04-2018, 07:43
I posted below in another forum regarding handbrake support. The only way at the moment to have both seq and handbrake in Pcars if you 2x TH8a or TH8a+TSS handbrake Sparco mod is if you use 1x TH8a in H mode and use some kind of rubber band mod. Like stated below the TH8a is configured in seq mode as L1 and R1 to mirror the paddleshifters, so it wouldn't be possible to map it otherwise.

I contacted TM a few times and they confirm they are working on "official" PS4 support. That will mean that the TM will be mapped as a separate "handbrake" device ingame. Dirt4 and GTsport already detect this and are "unofficially" supported. I suspect that Pcars 2 will follow soon or are working on it.

"I recently bit the bullet and bought the TSS handbrake Sparco mod, even though there is no "official" PS4 support. (It was this or another TH8a shifter)After a short round of testing with Dirt 4, dirt rally, SLRE, Gt sport, WRC 7 and Pcars2 I am happy to say that it works out of the box!

I have not made any firmware updates and just plugged it into the wheelbase Din connector and the TH8a into the ps4 usb port and it actually works really great with games which support USB devices, however support is varied:

Dirt 4 & GT sport
The TSS handbrake is detected in both SEQ and handbrake mode in both games. In Seq mode it acts like a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as r1 and r2. In handbrake mode it is recognised as a separate (handbrake) device. GTsport confirms support for the TSS handbrake on their official website. (I cannot post the link here)

Dirt Rally, SLRE & Pcars 2
The device is not recognised in handbrake mode, but works in seq mode. It is detected as a TH8a in seq mode and mapped as L1 and R1. Sadly it isn't possible to use both the TH8a and TSS in seq mode. Since both the handbrake and shift paddles are mapped to to L1 and R1 you cannot map the handbrake as a handbrake and still use the paddles for sequential shifting. There are 2 workarounds:

1. You can use a TH8a in H mode for shifting and map R1 as a handbrake. The TH8a is mapped in these games as gear1,2 etc. The downside is you wont have sequential shifting available. You can setup the TSS handbrake as a handbrake and keep the toggle switch on seq. That way a handbrake is mapped as R1.

2. You can use a rubberband mod to use the TH8a in H mode as a handbrake and use the TSS as a seq shifter (R1 and L1). Either map gear 4 or perhaps gear 2 as handbrake in the settings.
example of a rubber band mod:

WRC 7
Sadly this game only supports 1 TH8a connected to the base, also only in sequential mode and there is no support for a separate usb device. The TSS is detected and mapped as L1 and R1. You can either map sequential shifting to another button and R1 as a handbrake, use automatic shifting and map R1 as handbrake or use the TSS as shifter and use a different button as a handbrake (default).

With the 2 newest games on the list already supporting the handbrake I suspect official support is coming soon and future games will support the game.

sidenote: I use a powered 7-port USB hub for: Wheel, cpx adaptor, TH8a, Sony BT headphones, PSVR.

Hopefully this answers some questions some people have who are interested to buy the TSS handbrake sparco mod on PS4. "

Wait, so the handbrake can be plugged into the wheel base instead of TH8A and recognized as a hanbrake? Really? That is not mentioned anywhere on the Thrustmaster website I dont think??

And I messaged Thrustmaster 3 weeks ago asking if they would make the handbrake PS4 compatible and the answer I got was they they dont discuss R&D, so I’m a little sceptical about your claim that they outright told you they are working on it. Is this info from someone you know personally at the company? I guess I’ll ping them again see what they tell me.

PocketZeven
16-04-2018, 12:56
It is recognised as a handbrake in Dirt4 and GTsport. In project cars it is only recognised in sequential mode (like TH8a). But you can configure the tss to handbrake position and map R1 (shift up) as handbrake.

They claimed console compatibility is coming on Twitter and Facebook in answering answers of some people. But then again I own the tss and have tested firsthand. In sequential mode (small switch) you can configure the handbrake in both handbrake style and in sequential style by loosening 4 Allen screws and moving the metal rods.

It won’t be progressive though. You will need full support that Dirt4 and GTsport do have.
I took the risk and just bought it and happy I did. If you aren’t sure if it’s for you try buying at a Webshop with good return policy (Amazon) and test it yourself.

hmmsk
16-04-2018, 17:04
It is recognised as a handbrake in Dirt4 and GTsport. In project cars it is only recognised in sequential mode (like TH8a). But you can configure the tss to handbrake position and map R1 (shift up) as handbrake.

They claimed console compatibility is coming on Twitter and Facebook in answering answers of some people. But then again I own the tss and have tested firsthand. In sequential mode (small switch) you can configure the handbrake in both handbrake style and in sequential style by loosening 4 Allen screws and moving the metal rods.

It won’t be progressive though. You will need full support that Dirt4 and GTsport do have.
I took the risk and just bought it and happy I did. If you aren’t sure if it’s for you try buying at a Webshop with good return policy (Amazon) and test it yourself.

Thanks for the clarification. Very interesting. I was considering moving to Fanatec just to get a handbrake... this would change it completely. But one question remains - on Project Cars 2, a 2nd shifter plugged in via USB is (currently) not supported right?

PocketZeven
17-04-2018, 12:38
It is supported. See the support section on the Thrustmaster support webpage on TH8a (can’t post links):

EN - On PlayStation®4, the TH8A shifter is compatible with the following games :

- ASSETTO CORSA™(***)(****)
- DIRT RALLY™(***)(****)
- DiRT RALLY™ VR (***)(****)
- DiRT® 4 (***)(****)
- DRIVECLUB™(***)
- DRIVECLUB™ BIKE(***)
- DRIVECLUB™ VR (***)
- F1 2015 (*)
- F1 2016 (*)
- F1 2017 (*)
- GRAVEL (***)(****)
- MudRunner: A Spintires game (***)
- Nascar Heat Evolution (*)
- Nascar Heat 2 (*)
- PROJECT CARS™(***)(****)
- PROJECT CARS™ 2 (***)(****)
- GRAN TURISMO SPORT (***)(****)
- SEBASTIAN LOEB RALLY EVO (***)(****)
- THE CREW™ (**)(***)
- WRC 5 (*)
- WRC 6 (*)
- WRC 7 (*)

(*)

EN - Compatible only in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the wheel’s DIN connector.

(**)

EN - Compatible only in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T500 RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the console’s USB port.

(***)

EN - Compatible in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” and in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the wheel’s DIN connector.

(****)

EN - Compatible in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” and in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T500 RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the console’s USB port.

JohnSchoonsBeard
20-04-2018, 16:32
It is supported. See the support section on the Thrustmaster support webpage on TH8a (can’t post links):

EN - On PlayStation®4, the TH8A shifter is compatible with the following games :

- ASSETTO CORSA™(***)(****)
- DIRT RALLY™(***)(****)
- DiRT RALLY™ VR (***)(****)
- DiRT® 4 (***)(****)
- DRIVECLUB™(***)
- DRIVECLUB™ BIKE(***)
- DRIVECLUB™ VR (***)
- F1 2015 (*)
- F1 2016 (*)
- F1 2017 (*)
- GRAVEL (***)(****)
- MudRunner: A Spintires game (***)
- Nascar Heat Evolution (*)
- Nascar Heat 2 (*)
- PROJECT CARS™(***)(****)
- PROJECT CARS™ 2 (***)(****)
- GRAN TURISMO SPORT (***)(****)
- SEBASTIAN LOEB RALLY EVO (***)(****)
- THE CREW™ (**)(***)
- WRC 5 (*)
- WRC 6 (*)
- WRC 7 (*)

(*)

EN - Compatible only in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the wheel’s DIN connector.

(**)

EN - Compatible only in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T500 RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the console’s USB port.

(***)

EN - Compatible in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” and in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the wheel’s DIN connector.

(****)

EN - Compatible in “SEQUENTIAL (+/-)” and in “H (7+1)” mode with the Thrustmaster T-GT, T500 RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, T300 RS, T300 GTE, T150 Force Feedback and T150 Ferrari Force Feedback racing wheels = shifter connected to the console’s USB port.
And just to double check this is still not in progressive (analogue) mode on the PS4 (using the neutral sprung position of the shifter? Its just a digital switch?

Steve-986
20-04-2018, 18:45
It is supported and will work plugged in direct via usb on the PS4. BUT - you can't use the paddles for shifting and assign the TH8A as a digital (on/off) handbrake. When you map the paddles (L1/R1) the TH8A shifter although plugged into the usb and not the wheel base will still be recognised as the same and will be mapped to L1/R1 also. I know as I've tried - unlike the other games, previously mentioned, that when plugged in via USB, the TH8A is recognised as a separate device so can then be assigned to different 'buttons'. Although still a digital on/off handbrake it'll be better than assigning a button somewhere and also opens up the option of buying a second TH8A or the TSS. Until the game programming is changed and or Thrustmaster do something we are stuck with rubber bands / a random wheel button / or avoiding handbrake action altogether which is a real shame.

PocketZeven
21-04-2018, 16:19
And just to double check this is still not in progressive (analogue) mode on the PS4 (using the neutral sprung position of the shifter? Its just a digital switch?

Not in Pcars2 sadly, but in AC, GT sport and Dirt4 the TSS is supported in analogue handbrake mode.

It is supported and will work plugged in direct via usb on the PS4. BUT - you can't use the paddles for shifting and assign the TH8A as a digital (on/off) handbrake. When you map the paddles (L1/R1) the TH8A shifter although plugged into the usb and not the wheel base will still be recognised as the same and will be mapped to L1/R1 also. I know as I've tried - unlike the other games, previously mentioned, that when plugged in via USB, the TH8A is recognised as a separate device so can then be assigned to different 'buttons'. Although still a digital on/off handbrake it'll be better than assigning a button somewhere and also opens up the option of buying a second TH8A or the TSS. Until the game programming is changed and or Thrustmaster do something we are stuck with rubber bands / a random wheel button / or avoiding handbrake action altogether which is a real shame.

I always thought the TH8a plugged in using both USB and Din is always recognised as L1/R1 in seq mode. Is this not correct? Only in H-mode you can map gear , gear 2 etc. Which games support other mapping?

Djuvinile
23-04-2018, 13:36
I always thought the TH8a plugged in using both USB and Din is always recognised as L1/R1 in seq mode. Is this not correct? Only in H-mode you can map gear , gear 2 etc. Which games support other mapping?

Dirt Rally for example..

PocketZeven
23-04-2018, 17:47
Dirt Rally for example..

Really?? Will try that later this week. I remember the TH8a always registering as L1/R1 in sequential mode in both Din and usb connection.

Djuvinile
24-04-2018, 09:06
it does but if im not mistaken only through direct usb connection to ps4.
then its shifter up /shifter down wich u can use for any assignment.

hmmsk
24-04-2018, 09:15
So basically what Thrustmaster is waiting for is for eg Pcars 2 to code in an analog support. Guess well have that by June then based on the TM handbrake announcement

Djuvinile
24-04-2018, 10:15
dont think th8a will support analog in sequential mode tho. but hey.. digital will do for me!
And thats what i dont get.. i can connect a keyboard and set almost any button i wish.. but a 150.- peripheral designed for it.. cant.

Djuvinile
14-05-2018, 14:26
The fact that this thread has been unanswered (as are most console focused threads btw) by any developer or moderator for such a long time really annoys me a bit.
Why cant this issue for once be answered with a simple : Yes or No. There's still patching going on.. why wouldnt this be on the list when demand is high and potentially could improve immersion for the game a lot for some.
By all means Thrustmaster is a sponsor/partner.. i guess it isnt that hard to figure it out. And "NO" is also an answer, maybe not what i wanna hear but fine.. we would finally have a decent answer i could live with, and i probably wouldnt be holding my hopes up. What happens here is straight up ignoring fans of your franchise that bought (multiple) peripherals to enjoy it like they would.

Djuvinile
18-05-2018, 11:24
Up :rolleyes::yes:

Steve-986
05-06-2018, 12:48
Any news following Patch 6.0 update? Or are we waiting on the Thrustmaster/Sparco gearshift handbrake to be console compliant?

RaceFace85
08-06-2018, 08:52
Any news following Patch 6.0 update? Or are we waiting on the Thrustmaster/Sparco gearshift handbrake to be console compliant?

Nothing new?
Without the TH8A as handbrake I'm not interested in this game. Didn't played it for many months.

stunt929
15-06-2018, 21:28
Same here.

Djuvinile
19-07-2018, 09:30
Ive noticed the complete console section (ps4/xbox) of this forum gets pretty much ignored by mods/devs.. every question asked or discussion regarding projects cars2 console problems dies out without moderators or developers realy reacting in a satisfying way..
Or a simple answer comes up: "sorry, console limitations!".. its not exclusive for this thread. It must be tied hands or something. I'm quite dissapointed by that, for Project Cars 1 this was litterally 100% the opposite and i loved the forum back then, giving and asking advice, setting up and helping leagues, designing league race banners u name it (check my history)... I recently picked the game up again after 5 months or so.. apart from dlc nothing really changed.. the game is stable and plays well dont get me wrong, but little things like the handbrake function or replays u cant completely safe, not being able to mute players etc is still present.. and i will never say they do a shit job or anything, because i still think its the best sim for consoles. but something has definitely changed on this forum for console users since Pcars 2 regarding to reactions of SMS/WMD

Steve-986
17-08-2018, 10:38
££££££££MILLION POUND QUESTION£££££££ So does the newly launched (16/08/18) Thrustmaster TSS+ compatible with PS4 etc work with PCARS2?

hmmsk
20-08-2018, 13:39
££££££££MILLION POUND QUESTION£££££££ So does the newly launched (16/08/18) Thrustmaster TSS+ compatible with PS4 etc work with PCARS2?

I just checked the Thrustmaster shop and dont see it there? If it would be on the Thrustmaster website surely they would have a list of compatible games? Once its supported then IMO the TH8A will work too.

Steve-986
20-08-2018, 13:55
So - have done a fair bit of reading since I posted the ££££MILLION POUND QUESTION££££££ and......

In short, it does/will do everything we desire but at a cost. On console we will not only need the TSS+ shifter/handbrake but also the TM Sim hub. Essentially a splitter box that allows 'multiple peripherals' (4 to be precise) all to be plugged into the wheel base. That way you can have 1 x TSS+ and 1 x TH8A (plus 2 more if you desire) plugged in at any one time. It says providing the game supports a handbrake, which PCARS2 does, then all will work out of the box as required. Paddles and sequential shift will be mapped the same but TSS+ in handbrake mode will be seen as a separate device and operate as a progressive handbrake.

Can you use 2 x TH8A? - yes, but as far as I can work out, PCARS2 will still only see it as a digital switch and not an axis/progressive handbrake - plus in all the diagrams they only show 1 plugged in as a sequential and a second as a gated 7 speed/reverse.

If you've got pots of cash then you could have 2 x TSS+ One set up as a handbrake and the other a sequential shift just as the big boys are doing!

No price or availability on either the TSS+ or TM Sim hub at the moment!

Also - if you have a rig, you need to find a way to mount it.... Thrustmaster will relieve you of more pennies if you want for a very nice mounting bracket for the TSS+ and TH8A but its for clamping to a desk/table.

adslasd4
29-08-2018, 14:28
I think this one will be solved soon...

MarcoM
19-11-2018, 09:36
I hope it gets patched. Dirt Rally does recognise the th8a when connected directly to the ps4.

Djuvinile
26-11-2018, 15:14
Isnt ever gonna happen anymore. allready took way too long.

MarcoM
26-11-2018, 15:27
@Djuvinile, I already have it working using the Drivehub. I have a diy handbrake mode with based on a numeric keypad. In newer firmwares of the Drivehub firm ware the 1 on the keyboard/pad is registered as X on the ps or A on the xbox. I have both the usb keypad and the TH8A connected to the accessories port via a usb dock.

It works perfectly in both PC2 and Dirt Rally. Digital only of course, but that is good enough for me. Will post a video later.

Djuvinile
05-12-2018, 14:49
Im very curious about how you did this and what kind of drivehub you are talking about.

MarcoM
05-12-2018, 15:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGxfs1raXc