PDA

View Full Version : Why have the FOV so low SMS?

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 10:54
Hearing alot of people complaining about the lack of sense of speed, and it is slightly confusing as to why the game has shipped with such a narrow fov, and weirdly close seating position in the cockpit view, surely this is the reason.

Here's a video i put up yesterday showing how i like the view to look, when im being lazy and not using a wheel

http://youtu.be/bRQF2gyIZe8

if you like this viewpoint, go into camera options, increase the fov for the helmet cam to 89, anything higher removes the helmet from view. Next, assign the seat movement controls to the dpad, and the seat tilt to another two buttons. If you prefer using another camera, increase the fov for that instead

Now you can adjust the position in race until your happy, also ive increased the camera lean and world movement to get an immersive feel.

Of course, when im using a wheel, ill remove the in-game wheel from view, push the seat up to the dash and make sure everything lines up.

Much better sense of speed...

Sankyo
25-09-2017, 11:05
It's an entirely subjective prefernce, so whatever default is supplied there will be people complaining it's not good. That's why we have the option to change the FOV, per camera, so that you can change it to your liking. It's not a bug, because there's no way you can satisfy everyone no matter what you choose. Sense of speed is not the relevant criterium for every person out there.

RobPhoboS
25-09-2017, 11:09
Cheers for that, handy to know :)

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 11:13
Didn't say it was a bug mate, just trying to help with people struggling with the sense of speed

Of course you wont please everyone, you'll be lucky yo please 10% these days lol, but if you ask me the base fov is far to low, to the point where entry speed into corners is affected, as speeds feel far lower than they actually are.

Lastly the seating postiton, again way off. If you were to sit that close to the wheel you would have your teeth out under heavy braking! ;)

Not knocking the game though, its a damn masterpiece!

Jimbob77
25-09-2017, 11:15
Yeah, I noticed it felt like I was a child in the Caterham I was sitting so low by default. :D

Bluebird76
25-09-2017, 11:25
Hearing alot of people complaining about the lack of sense of speed, and it is slightly confusing as to why the game has shipped with such a narrow fov, and weirdly close seating position in the cockpit view, surely this is the reason.

Here's a video i put up yesterday showing how i like the view to look, when im being lazy and not using a wheel

if you like this viewpoint, go into camera options, increase the fov for the helmet cam to 89, anything higher removes the helmet from view. Next, assign the seat movement controls to the dpad, and the seat tilt to another two buttons. If you prefer using another camera, increase the fov for that instead

Now you can adjust the position in race until your happy, also ive increased the camera lean and world movement to get an immersive feel.

Of course, when im using a wheel, ill remove the in-game wheel from view, push the seat up to the dash and make sure everything lines up.

Much better sense of speed...

is that on a Xbox 1 ?? seems better looking than on my box !?!

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 11:27
Yeah xbox one mate. Try the settings out, see what it looks like for you.

Also thats in game footage with the hud removed, maybe thats why?

RobPhoboS
25-09-2017, 11:33
I've changed my settings too, pretty much like yours with a maximum sense of speed, I like it - reminds me of Shift :)

On a complete side note - how are you finding the TX and bits you have ? as these are the exact parts I'm going to purchase too.

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 11:44
Love them mate. Had them for roughly 2 years now and havent let me down once.

Apparently, with thrustmaster wheels, as long as they work out thr box they'll last a long time ha ha.

I have the Tx base, you'll find that for most games you need to turn the ffb down, its very powerful. The t3pa pro pedals are outstanding, the conical brake mod that comes with them is great at replicating gradually increasing brake pedal strength, you really do need a good solid rig though.

I have the th8a shifter with a sparco gear knob on it, again never let me down, although it has developed a very faint squeek, needs to be greased up.

The 599xx evo rim is also fantastic, made in the same factory as the real rim so its a bit pricey, the whole setup is quite expensive to be honest but i haven't got a bad word to say about any of the kit.

If you are getting a rig go for the simetik k2, it knocks spots off rigs twice the price, it is completely solid, cant recommend it enough

RobPhoboS
25-09-2017, 11:58
That's excellent to hear !
I can't afford to get a direct drive wheel, and since I do plenty of track days it's just nice to have something at home.
The big problem I have is that I don't have space for such a large rig, I have to go with the Playseat challenge, as I need to move it out of the way sadly.

Thanks again for the tips on the first post, and your thoughts on the setup :)

Fractured Life
25-09-2017, 12:44
Question relating to adjusting view...

With pCars 1 I could connect a keyboard and use that to adjust seat height, angle, up, down, left, right but as it never saved it just became very tedious.

Is there any way of saving the view you want per car like the FFB settings? Or is it just going to be a manual adjustment every time?

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 13:45
Im not sure mate, will have to try this at some point myself, although im sure the seating position saves per car

Fractured Life
25-09-2017, 13:54
Im not sure mate, will have to try this at some point myself, although im sure the seating position saves per car

Cheers dude. Was eventually pretty good at setting them correctly for those cars I liked to use, but got annoying in the end of I was joining a lobby with a class or car I didn't use.
FFB was another one, if setups were locked for a lobby and I hadn't already tuned FFB for the vehicle, it would occasionally try and rip my arms off :o

RobPhoboS
25-09-2017, 14:46
Battfink - would you mind posting what exact settings you used for the camera settings?
I've gotten something weird on my one, when it gets to 70ish mph the dash goes blurred but after 90mph it comes back to focus heh.

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 15:56
Whats the problem pal? The way it comes back into focus?

The blur is to replicate the driver focusing on the track ahead at high speed, does mine come back into focus?. Im in work so cannot watch it through

Kriptical
25-09-2017, 16:04
Just want to add that I honk the chase cam is actually bugged. You appear to be doing about 40mph regardless of actual speed. Also,in that view the settings related to fov and speed are inverted..which is ruining me lol...
Side note..chase cam with telemetry up seems to really strain my Xbox. Anyone else having these issues?

TAGS Battfink
25-09-2017, 19:00
I noticed the chase cam issue. The fov worls the correct way, but it pulls the camera into the back kf rhe car, something that didnt happen on pcars 1

Fractured Life
25-09-2017, 21:43
If the keyboard support works you could just move it back to where it's comfortable hopefully.

PervasiveFall8
26-09-2017, 04:47
I also noticed having telem up mY help strain Xbox. I had full sun days stutter with line, telem, and names - got rid of the names and line and mostly better and normally flip out of telem view to other huds when I'm done looking at tire temps

Kriptical
26-09-2017, 11:12
Oh man..I get what your saying but I really hope they put it back to pCars1, when it comes to the fov stuff. It was hands down the best chase cam experience..just fantastic.