PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec Brake Pedal Reading Correct?

SuperiorRain835
25-09-2017, 13:14
Hi all,

I'm playing on an Xbox using a Fanatec ClubSport V2 wheel and ClubSport V3 pedals. I'm having some trouble deciding whether the game is reading the brake pedal's potentiometer correctly, or if it's judging pedal input by distance traveled. Does anyone know for sure? I'm considering stiffening the brake pedal so it moves a lot less, but I'm concerned I would only find I had made it uncomfortably sensitive.

Thanks!

Sankyo
25-09-2017, 13:41
Hi all,

I'm playing on an Xbox using a Fanatec ClubSport V2 wheel and ClubSport V3 pedals. I'm having some trouble deciding whether the game is reading the brake pedal's potentiometer correctly, or if it's judging pedal input by distance traveled. Does anyone know for sure? I'm considering stiffening the brake pedal so it moves a lot less, but I'm concerned I would only find I had made it uncomfortably sensitive.

Thanks!
Every game uses the output voltage of the pedal, not the pedal travel. Stiffer brake = less travel but the same signal range, so higher signal change per pedal travel. However, since you have to use more force on the pedal, it doesn't automatically become more sensitive in practise. You're basically replacing travel distance with muscle power, and the latter can also be controlled precisely with some practice.

SuperiorRain835
25-09-2017, 14:11
Every game uses the output voltage of the pedal, not the pedal travel. Stiffer brake = less travel but the same signal range, so higher signal change per pedal travel. However, since you have to use more force on the pedal, it doesn't automatically become more sensitive in practise. You're basically replacing travel distance with muscle power, and the latter can also be controlled precisely with some practice.

Thank you, that's very helpful. But now I'm curious what the advantage of a potentiometer in a pedal is. I was under the impression that it was about measuring force output/muscle power applied instead of pedal travel, but if as you say this isn't the case, then what is the potentiometer measuring?