PDA

View Full Version : A Solution for overly sensitive DS4 controls?

Gareth
25-09-2017, 16:38
Hi

First post here, although have been a lurker for a long time.

After reading the suggestion from forum member JudgeNutmeg to try using Motion Control on the DS4 I have discovered something rather pleasing (to put it mildly!)

I went in and set up the DS4 for Motion Control but wasnít totally taken with it (as was the case when I tried it previously on PC1) HOWEVER when I reverted the settings back to use the Left Stick for Steering.....BINGO......all the problems with the cars handling/stability/tendency to snap to the left or right in a straight line disappeared!

Itís as if the game needs to be told to use the left stick for steering and is not recognising it properly by default.

Note: It is necessary to do this both in Quick Race AND Career. Doing the latter even the Karts become drivable...in as much as Karts can be called drivable! (corners slow....straights fast...corners slow....straights fast lol)

So is it just my set up? Letís have your input on this

monz
25-09-2017, 16:53
Well I'll b trying this...for the stick...also didn't realize you could use motion control so wanna give that a go although kinda happy with my controller setup already

Gareth
25-09-2017, 18:37
Just to add. Have closed and restarted the game and the setting has held :encouragement:

monz
25-09-2017, 18:51
Feck me....formula c on tilt and I can go round any corner of Nurburgring combined without the back end loosing grip and the game really has improved...can't believe it...might not even go back to stick lol just need to remember to turn lol....gonna try full storm and report back✌

monz
25-09-2017, 20:09
So knockhill heavy snow with tilt steering...only time I spun out was after hitting a puddle. Noticed it had wet tyres as it would. Went back to stick and it's a bit twitchy still but I can time trial formula c more or less...went to dry track with stick Brno career first race...still back end slides out somewhat but better..retried with wets and stick...came third and set best sector time...put WETS on formula c..cracking race...braking and sliding into corners...handling was superb....back to try some more cars

monz
25-09-2017, 20:54
Just tried both ktm's...didnt matter what setup I used they where both awful....no wets for these however only all terrain tyres.

Tried Ginetta GT5 with wets...pain in the wet to drive. Great in dry.

Wets seem to be accurate slicks on some cars..so got no idea what's going on lol...

monz
25-09-2017, 23:03
So,....I'm finding I need to change from whatever steering option ie tilt then back to stick for every event/car I use and then go to race engineer to refine any issue I'm having....got KTM road car round Bathurst in heavy rain and snow...adjusting the rear anti roll bar to 20 really helped steady the back end.

End of the day I'm getting way more enjoyment from the game now...gonna continue career and see if I can come first this time in formula c✌

GCVigilante
26-09-2017, 00:11
I went to try using the tilt features and can assign left steering to left tilt but when I do the same for right steering it tells me left tilt is already assigned even though Iím clearly tilting my controller to the right. Anyone else having this issue?

stephensmattlee
26-09-2017, 04:04
This is quite intriguing, won’t get chance to try until later though.
Sorry for being a noob but how do you turn on motion control in PC2?

Gareth
26-09-2017, 08:36
Can I just reiterate what I was trying to say in my original post.

I’m not advocating using motion control. I’m emphasising that it’s the action of physically assigning the game to use the left stick for steering that solves the problem of instability using a game pad.

You could just as well assign the steering to anything then assign it back to the left stick.

It’s as if the game is not reading, or interpretating, the use of the left stick by default.

Gareth
26-09-2017, 08:39
This is quite intriguing, won’t get chance to try until later though.
Sorry for being a noob but how do you turn on motion control in PC2?

Options/Configuration. Click on Steering then twist/tilt the pad in the appropriate direction. But see my post above this one.

danowat
26-09-2017, 08:45
Doesn't help for me, I've also noticed that.

1) The control damping and wheel weight settings do barely anything different at either end of the scale.

2) It's a PITA having to exit out of a session, and reenter it to change control settings, especially with the extremely laggy menus on PS4.

3) Steering sensitivity can't be set low enough, 0 is still way too high (was the same in PC1), even though you are moving the stick very slightly, and the steering "bar" on the telemetry screen moves a fraction of a mm, the car veers all over the place.

Gareth
26-09-2017, 09:50
Doesn't help for me, I've also noticed that.

1) The control damping and wheel weight settings do barely anything different at either end of the scale.

2) It's a PITA having to exit out of a session, and reenter it to change control settings, especially with the extremely laggy menus on PS4.

3) Steering sensitivity can't be set low enough, 0 is still way too high (was the same in PC1), even though you are moving the stick very slightly, and the steering "bar" on the telemetry screen moves a fraction of a mm, the car veers all over the place.

Sorry it hasnít worked for you Dano. Are you specifically changing the configuration of the steering to something else, saving it, then changing the configuration back to the left stick.

Yes, Control damping and wheel weight settings donít appear to do much. Other than having the throttle sensitivity at 50% and the brake sensitivity at 60% Ive left everything else at default (after doing the stick reassignment) and for me the major problems with handling have disappeared (individual cars obviously have different handling characteristics) and it is as good as PC1, albeit with the improved physics model.

If I can now drive round Monaco in a Class C car without crashing into the barriers then it must be ok!

Can I just also say thanks to the mod who changed my thread title to make it more relevant - cheers!

danowat
26-09-2017, 09:55
If I can now drive round Monaco in a Class C car without crashing into the barriers then it must be ok!

Is this since changing to tilt, saving and changing back to stick?

On the subject, I could see the developers adding some non-linearity to the steering would probably go some way to making this better, although it's odd that the steering bar in the telemetry is bearing moving while the car is veering all over the place.

Gareth
26-09-2017, 12:58
Is this since changing to tilt, saving and changing back to stick?

On the subject, I could see the developers adding some non-linearity to the steering would probably go some way to making this better, although it's odd that the steering bar in the telemetry is bearing moving while the car is veering all over the place.

Yep!

Gareth
26-09-2017, 13:10
It may be that you need to come right out of Options before going back in and reassigning the stick. That may tie in with the other threads discussing whether going into Options causes handling problems...

That’s why I’m hoping more people will try it to see if it can be replicated for them.

Anything’s worth a try lol

apexbuddha
26-09-2017, 14:22
Interesting. I'm pretty happy with how I have my settings dialed now, but I will give this a shot. Thanks for the info!