PDA

View Full Version : Is mph AND metric posibble?

Leper Messiah
25-09-2017, 19:11
I know there's an option for Imperial/Metric but could we separate speed from this? Specifically I'm a Brit and even though I use MPH for speed in most other things I am metric so I'd like to have cm,mm,kg,centigrade etc.

Leper Messiah
26-09-2017, 08:34
Surely I'm not the only one who wants this? What do other Brits do? Put up with imperial temp and suspension settings for MPH or go metric for those and put up with KMH?

tonyg0001
26-09-2017, 08:35
Yip I would like to pick what ever you want on every scale

Gobby
26-09-2017, 08:46
Agreed. I'd like MPH and Celsius.

Dereenigne
26-09-2017, 09:17
Hehe it is funny here!

I use in everyday life;

MPH - speed
Celsius - temp
PSI - tyre pressures
Bar - turbo boost pressure
NM - tightening torque of vehicle parts (wheel nuts, head bolts)
BHP - engine power
NM - engine torque
PSI - spring/ suspension ratings
MM CM M - length of things
Feet & inches - height of humans
stones - weight of me
grams - cooking
Jibs/ sheckles/ quids -

the list of different measures is amazing :)

Leper Messiah
26-09-2017, 17:08
Hehe it is funny here!

I use in everyday life;

MPH - speed
Celsius - temp
PSI - tyre pressures
Bar - turbo boost pressure
NM - tightening torque of vehicle parts (wheel nuts, head bolts)
BHP - engine power
NM - engine torque
PSI - spring/ suspension ratings
stones - weight of me
grams - cooking
Jibs/ sheckles/ quids -

the list of different measures is amazing :)

so true!! :)

Javaniceday
26-09-2017, 17:51
Hoo boy, what a can of worms.

Grew up around both metric and imperial measurements, so its a bit of a mess for me.

I live in the US, so speed HAS to be MPH, that way I can understand how fast I'm going.
Air and track temperature should also be Fahrenheit, that way I can relate. I don't know how hot 37C is, but sure know 70F is perfect and 102F sucks.

But tire temperatures MUST be in Celcius - easier numbers to remember, and I don't associate them with anything except sim racing. Same with break temps - using Farenheit, those numbers can get ridiculously big. Who needs that hot mess?

Complicated. I don't envy the developers on this matter, haha.

LukeC1991
26-09-2017, 17:54
I would also like this. Us people in the UK are strange and use a mix of metric and imperial! I’d understand the track and tyre temps a lot more if they were in degrees c :)

Plato99
26-09-2017, 18:52
+1
Bar pressures are just wrong!!

JoshTheGeologist
26-09-2017, 19:04
I know there's an option for Imperial/Metric but could we separate speed from this? Specifically I'm a Brit and even though I use MPH for speed in most other things I am metric so I'd like to have cm,mm,kg,centigrade etc.

I actually wouldn't mind that. I like using MPH, but for distance I'm getting more used to using metric for the rest. I use metric more because I'm a scientist.

4dri3l
26-09-2017, 19:15
i would be glad if they at least fix the discrepancies regarding the mesures on the game...

fireballassasin
26-09-2017, 19:34
It would be nice to be able to select different units for different measurements. Id like to have my temperature in Fahrenheit, my distances in meters, my suspension forces in Newtons and meters, and my tire pressures in psi. I'm getting used to the whole speed in km/h but find myself often going "okay if 120 kmh is 75mph then 240 kmh is..." and then crashing into a wall while I was trying to do math. I also have barely any understanding of bar and Celsius, all I know there is that 45C is an average Arizona summer day and that 0C is freezing and then kinda work from there. But using bar instead of PSI would fool me. Also this whole 32L of fuel, I keep thinking about how many pepsi two liters I can fit in the trunk of my Renault Clio Cup xD

As cool as it would be to fine tune the units of measurement, it's probably something that should be put farther down the list of requests as its rather non-essential.

Leper Messiah
27-09-2017, 19:28
It would be nice to be able to select different units for different measurements. Id like to have my temperature in Fahrenheit, my distances in meters, my suspension forces in Newtons and meters, and my tire pressures in psi. I'm getting used to the whole speed in km/h but find myself often going "okay if 120 kmh is 75mph then 240 kmh is..." and then crashing into a wall while I was trying to do math. I also have barely any understanding of bar and Celsius, all I know there is that 45C is an average Arizona summer day and that 0C is freezing and then kinda work from there. But using bar instead of PSI would fool me. Also this whole 32L of fuel, I keep thinking about how many pepsi two liters I can fit in the trunk of my Renault Clio Cup xD

As cool as it would be to fine tune the units of measurement, it's probably something that should be put farther down the list of requests as its rather non-essential.

This isn't really personal preference but cultural, Most brits since the 70's have grown up primarily with metric measurements EXCEPT for MPH and maybe stones/pounds for personal weight. I'm certain my other sims split speed preferences from the others so a mix of mph and metric is possible.

Tbolt
21-10-2017, 09:10
i would be glad if they at least fix the discrepancies regarding the mesures on the game...

Yes this has become a bit frustrating having PSI for tyre pressures on the HUD, then Bar on the HUD telemetry and in the garage and not being able to change them. Hope they plan on fixing this in the future.

TorTorden
21-10-2017, 09:44
If its not an SI unit its not real.

I want temps in Kelvin, and speed in Meters per second.

Dereenigne
21-10-2017, 10:28
Yes this has become a bit frustrating having PSI for tyre pressures on the HUD, then Bar on the HUD telemetry and in the garage and not being able to change them. Hope they plan on fixing this in the future.

Totally agree, measurement in the game are all over the place, hud different to motec different to tuning page.

Would be nice to have constant measurements.

zedeeyen
19-02-2018, 11:54
The Celsius/ Farenheit split is not simply part of the metric/ imperial dichotomy, it's completely independent of it. There is no contradiction in wishing to use imperial units and Celsius at the same time, and the game should allow us to do so.

joedakiss
19-02-2018, 13:21
Given how tweakable all the other settings in the game are compared to rivals, I'm surprised this was overlooked. I'm sure most players would appreciate the option to chance individual values, hope it's not a 'wait for PC3' thing. Any word from Devs? I'm up for crowdfunding some Dominos if they fancy staying late one evening to implement it...

chieflongshin
19-02-2018, 19:08

Tip my hat to this man. Asking me to work out fahrenheit on the fly is like asking me to use the additional imaginary 6 arms I have to climb the wall whilst playing piano. Fahrenheit is like reading the finest English literature intermittently spat on by some alien coding.
It's like a Banksy in an egyptian tomb.

It's just not normal......:cower:

cluck
19-02-2018, 19:23
I requested individually selectable units of measurement across the board for pCARS1 and 2, during the WMD1/WMD2 days. Like many things, it's a feature that some of the devs would have liked to include but had to be left out :(.

I work in bar for boost and oil pressures, but psi for tyres. I work in celcius for temperatures but MPH for speed. I work in mm for some measurements and inches for others. In short, metric vs imperial is a compromise for me, even if you could select mph/kmh separately, the ideal solution is for customisable units.

As a side-point, even rFactor2 only appears to have a simple 'metric / imperial' option in it, in the base package, albeit then with the option of KMH or MPH. I have no idea if somebody has created a mod to allow full customisation but I just thought I'd mention it, in case anybody thought pCARS2 was lacking something compared to some other sims, in this regard.

Franco Ferrari
19-02-2018, 19:43

Aphelion71
20-02-2018, 15:43
+1
Bar pressures are just wrong!!

Yeah, here in Mexico we use SI units but for tyre pressures we use PSI.

FxUK
20-02-2018, 15:53

Filling up my car with litres, thinking about the miles it can do, per gallon :)

+1 though to being able to change 'a few' of the units used in game.

sp3ctor
20-02-2018, 17:52
No love for the hogshead or firkin?

Stewy32
21-02-2018, 07:58
The best you can do is look at a cars Onboard Dixsplay and see if you find mph on it-and if you do then you can run the rest in metric measurements as you can see the mph. Znumber.

Mowzer
21-02-2018, 07:59
Yeah i know what you mean it must just be a British thing lol.

Christiaan van Beilen
21-02-2018, 08:56
On the other hand... being forced to do the math and eventually getting a rough idea instinctively will be a way for you ol' Imperial bastards to finally play nice with the rest of the world.

One vote for me to rip out the Imperial option from the game. That'll teach ya! :p

PS. Someone didn't know what 37 degrees Celcius was? It is a slight fever of 1 degree above the normal 36 degrees Celcius of body temperature.