PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely love PC2, but hate it at the same time

Chicken Patty
26-09-2017, 02:27
Hello all,
Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love the game. Iy has everything I was hoping it had. The immersion, the live track, the multi class racing, I mean it's everything I want in a racing game. Even contrary to what most say, it's the best FFB experience to me. I have tried RF2, Assetto Corsa, iRacing and I must say to me it's just as good as the other known titles. The driver swap is great for endurance racing lovers like me. BUT, I just can't race in this game.

I've managed to avoid the pile up in turn 1 at the start of the race, I just try to stay wide and clear, although to me it's a bit exaggerated, I actually find it somewhat realistic. Takes getting used to but I can make it past the first corner fine. We all know the formation lap and rolling starts need work, not a deal breaker for me. But here is what is.

The AI, is the deal breaker. It just does not respect you at all. It's like they are set to take a certain line, brake at a certain point, and even if you're in front and they have plenty of room to brake, they will slam you damaging your car, and possibly spinning you out in the process. I was just 1.5 hours into a 24 hour race when an AI came flying behind me and although I was on the outside giving him space he had too much momentum and took me with him. Now I know these kinda incidents happen in real life, but it doesn't happen every instant.

Last but not least, after like 1.5 hours or 2 hours, I loose certain sounds. Last time I lost engine sound, which ruins the experience and I end up quitting the game.

So there it is, the game has the potential. I think with a few patches this title can really be at the top and I would never want another racing sim in my life, but for now I find myself reaching for my other sims as the most immersive, realistic experience ever in a sim for me is ruined by some crappy little bugs. I know it will get sorted out, SMS did a heck of a job with this game, the rest is just fine tuning. Don't regret my purchase at all!

Raklodder
26-09-2017, 07:22
I've the same problem in the career mode and I've to keep lowering the difficulty just to stay ahead of the AI to keep them from slamming into me from the rear.

Kaerar
26-09-2017, 07:56
TBH having known the AI is an evolution of the Shift 2 Unleashed AI, I kinda just set the Aggression to ~30-33% and have the skill up at 90-120 depending on track/conditions etc...

No issues with them as long as you respect the fact it's not NEED FOR SPEED or Forza so crashing through everything doesn't exactly work :D

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 08:11
Hello all,
Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love the game. Iy has everything I was hoping it had. The immersion, the live track, the multi class racing, I mean it's everything I want in a racing game. Even contrary to what most say, it's the best FFB experience to me. I have tried RF2, Assetto Corsa, iRacing and I must say to me it's just as good as the other known titles. The driver swap is great for endurance racing lovers like me. BUT, I just can't race in this game.

I've managed to avoid the pile up in turn 1 at the start of the race, I just try to stay wide and clear, although to me it's a bit exaggerated, I actually find it somewhat realistic. Takes getting used to but I can make it past the first corner fine. We all know the formation lap and rolling starts need work, not a deal breaker for me. But here is what is.

The AI, is the deal breaker. It just does not respect you at all. It's like they are set to take a certain line, brake at a certain point, and even if you're in front and they have plenty of room to brake, they will slam you damaging your car, and possibly spinning you out in the process. I was just 1.5 hours into a 24 hour race when an AI came flying behind me and although I was on the outside giving him space he had too much momentum and took me with him. Now I know these kinda incidents happen in real life, but it doesn't happen every instant.

Last but not least, after like 1.5 hours or 2 hours, I loose certain sounds. Last time I lost engine sound, which ruins the experience and I end up quitting the game.

So there it is, the game has the potential. I think with a few patches this title can really be at the top and I would never want another racing sim in my life, but for now I find myself reaching for my other sims as the most immersive, realistic experience ever in a sim for me is ruined by some crappy little bugs. I know it will get sorted out, SMS did a heck of a job with this game, the rest is just fine tuning. Don't regret my purchase at all!

The AI issues you describe have already been fixed by the devs internally and will be in the next patch.

Chicken Patty
26-09-2017, 15:56
The AI issues you describe have already been fixed by the devs internally and will be in the next patch.

This is great! It's the main thing for me. I can try lowering aggression for now and see how it works. Actually in my last race I fared much better with the aggression turned down slightly. I still think AI needs work but it's manageable. So if this patch fixes the main issues with the AI then this game is golden, I absolutely love it as it is.

Any idea if this patch will fix the sound issue where sounds disappear after a while? I have seen one or two people mention it and I think someone from SMS said they are working on a fix for it too, but not entirely sure as I can't find the thread again.

Chicken Patty
29-09-2017, 06:10
Well I just wanted to report back that after the patch it's all working great. 90% AI and 50 aggressiveness works great. I'm still a little too fast so I'm thinking 92-93% would do it. Tried different tracks too, very consistent. Game is coming along nicely!

John Hargreaves
29-09-2017, 06:29
I'm sure you'll find that the more you race the AI, the more impressed you will be. First corner on many tracks was causing trouble certainly, but it looks like that is improving all the time. Best thing I've found is to treat them like a human: if you dive in for a corner, they will probably think it's their corner too, just like you or I would, and it ends in tears. Equally, watch out as they will make a move if it's on and you have to leave them room, they probably won't back off if they think it's theirs.

Take your time and plan your moves in advance and you'll probably enjoy it more. In many games the AI are just dumb and get out of the way if you want the corner, but these guys are much more likely to battle with you. Just imagine that somebody's son or daughter is in that car ahead and it becomes the most satisfying AI I've ever come across. Not saying they are perfect, but probably more professional than your average multiplayer public server.

Ian Bell
29-09-2017, 06:31
Well I just wanted to report back that after the patch it's all working great. 90% AI and 50 aggressiveness works great. I'm still a little too fast so I'm thinking 92-93% would do it. Tried different tracks too, very consistent. Game is coming along nicely!

We need more work on the consistency but it's better yes, thanks! We're still on it.

Purg
29-09-2017, 07:07

Been trying them only with one track and one car at the moment. Ginetta Jr at Oulton Park. 90% AI and 75% aggressive. I'm getting raced, I'm getting passed cleanly and I'm not barrelled off the track on one particular corner now. Their braking points pretty much match mine so I can be right up an AI and stay on it. Wet, I think I had read the AI programmer tentatively making them faster. I'm probably much the same as you in that in practice, I'm ahead by about 0.3 secs after 10 laps but when the rain comes, I'm lapping 3 seconds faster.

Definite improvements, though.

ironik
29-09-2017, 07:14

Thanks for reporting back !
Many are prone to criticize but few are willing to give positive feedback.

Cheers! :)

John Hargreaves
29-09-2017, 09:48
Haven't had much time to play this week because boring old work, but I'm looking forward to these AI improvements.

plaid
29-09-2017, 11:45
The physics and FFB seemed to be improved and with Jack Spade files its enjoyable, also the car and track list is more decent this time (considering you can't add mods), besides its a general improvement over PCars1. Sound is decent and the graphics are good. It even runs on my fairly old PC. So the basics are fine with one exception...

The AI is bad (inconsistent across tracks and even corners, too fast or slow in some weather conditions, pileups and situations where they hit other cars or barriers resulting in pitstops->free win if you aren't hit by them) which makes the singleplayer - what Im focused on - not enjoyable.Besides some bugs I really don't want to have to deal with.

I primarly looked forward for endurance, but some tests make it obivious that they struggle to pass/overlap slower cars, making it easy for the player to pass cars of the same class and also damage their cars which results in pitstops, so the player get a even bigger advantage, so basicly you don't need to do much to win a race.
Also the AI doesn't seem to care about blue flags, at least most of the time. I really see no point to even try a race over multiple hours, especially if the AI doesn't follow a strategy/pits efficent, which is something i rather believe when I see it.

I was really dissapointed as I heard they cut shared pits and drasticly reduced the gridsize to for whats more common for sprintraces. Especially at the Nordschleife its a bummer, but also LeMans, Spa or Bathurst etc.. They said they consider to increase the size after the release - at least for the PC - on gtplaent but considering another thread that isn't true. For the PC I would expected that these things remain in PCars2, whatever needs to be cut or reduced for the consoles.

The quality of the physics and or FFB also seems pretty inconsistent across the cars, so I allready started to make a list to filter them out, I read that also a few times in other forums. Also the visuals can be rather soso with standard AA on a medium PC, especially the shadows drag the overall impression down.

Comming from AC and R3E I was looking forward to it, but currently it doesn't offer much more than the first during its days with a also pretty bad AI (I don't care that much about weather, RallyX or Karts). So I only hotlap in PCars2.
Anyway I hope that races andespecially endurance - which are rare online - against the AI will become worthwile in the near future. Just regret that I didn't wait for that to happen or at least buying during a sale.

honespc
29-09-2017, 12:02
Been trying them only with one track and one car at the moment. Ginetta Jr at Oulton Park. 90% AI and 75% aggressive. I'm getting raced, I'm getting passed cleanly and I'm not barrelled off the track on one particular corner now. Their braking points pretty much match mine so I can be right up an AI and stay on it. Wet, I think I had read the AI programmer tentatively making them faster. I'm probably much the same as you in that in practice, I'm ahead by about 0.3 secs after 10 laps but when the rain comes, I'm lapping 3 seconds faster.

Definite improvements, though.They seem faster to me in the rain now. Have to try more tracks and cars and test this more in depth though

ELAhrairah
29-09-2017, 12:35
I was really dissapointed as I heard they cut shared pits and drasticly reduced the gridsize to for whats more common for sprintraces. Especially at the Nordschleife its a bummer, but also LeMans, Spa or Bathurst etc.. They said they consider to increase the size after the release - at least for the PC - on gtplaent but considering another thread that isn't true. For the PC I would expected that these things remain in PCars2,

Love the game!

But....1 thing..

Activate rant:

Reducing the Grid size to 32 (inc. yourself) is the one thing that really stung me with the release of this game. I am more of an endurance racer and it kind of makes multi class racing less practical. If you want to mimic the real world 32 cars will get you 2 classes max. It is the worst for races like Le Mans. 32 cars is half the field IRL.
I really really really hope that somewhere during development SMS will change it. Or maybe even better: allow the mod. community to increase it.

Deactivate rant.

MisterBronze
29-09-2017, 13:09
Love the game!

But....1 thing..

Activate rant:

Reducing the Grid size to 32 (inc. yourself) is the one thing that really stung me with the release of this game. I am more of an endurance racer and it kind of makes multi class racing less practical. If you want to mimic the real world 32 cars will get you 2 classes max. It is the worst for races like Le Mans. 32 cars is half the field IRL.
I really really really hope that somewhere during development SMS will change it. Or maybe even better: allow the mod. community to increase it.

Deactivate rant.

Yeah, I was hoping for a larger grid size. Though given the more important issues I don't see it being changed on PC for a while...if ever.

Firstly for offline endurance racing we really need to see an improvement in AI. So it's good to hear it is being worked on with a tweak now and more in the next 'big' patch. They have their work cut out bring to the standards of the likes of AC or rF2 (I particularly like rF2 with their blocking and flag obeying) but I hope they do it. To me there seems to be a lot of potential with PC2.

just to note I can run a 60 grid (approx 26 visible) on rF2 at somewhere like Nords ok. Would be nice to get to at least 40/45 in PC2.

Chicken Patty
29-09-2017, 17:12
Thanks for reporting back !
Many are prone to criticize but few are willing to give positive feedback.

Cheers! :)

I want the game to improve because to me it's the most immersive experience of them all. It had its flaws but you guys are working on it. I intend to report whether it's good or bad, in a respectful manner of course. So far love it after the patch, it can only get better!

JDFSSS
29-09-2017, 17:51
I primarly looked forward for endurance, but some tests make it obivious that they struggle to pass/overlap slower cars, making it easy for the player to pass cars of the same class and also damage their cars which results in pitstops, so the player get a even bigger advantage, so basicly you don't need to do much to win a race.
Also the AI doesn't seem to care about blue flags, at least most of the time. I really see no point to even try a race over multiple hours, especially if the AI doesn't follow a strategy/pits efficent, which is something i rather believe when I see it.

I can confirm what you said about the AI struggling to lap cars in slower classes. I found it out last night when I was doing a 40 lap race at Daytona road course. Even though the AI were slightly faster than me when they weren't dealing with traffic, I still finished the race with a 50 second gap to 2nd place while starting last in my class and spinning a couple times. Screenshot of my finished race: https://i.imgur.com/Zbw42on.jpg This was with a full field 4 class race of GTE/GT4/GT5/Ginetta Junior

Regarding what you said about the AI's poor strategy, I've found I have a better experience racing against the AI with the damage off. I don't fully trust them to race me as clean as they should, although they are pretty good for the most part and much better than last game, and it allows them to run their strategy correctly without excess pitstops.

Chicken Patty
01-10-2017, 23:22
Well, just wanted to report back after a few races with the new patch. I simply love it. Only thing I noticed is that in the rain they are very slow, so in my opinion i think that still needs a bit tweaking, but headed in the right direction. Also the moment it stopped raining they all pit to go to dry tires I assume. but two laps later it started raining, so they pit again. I stayed out the whole time so it was an easy win. But I get how this is pretty difficult to get right when tweaking the AI. But honestly aside from those little things, I love the game, and find nothing wrong with it so far. Headed for another race right now!