PDA

View Full Version : Wheel degree of rotation

Jerry Buzz
26-09-2017, 03:57
Can you change the wheel degree of rotation in the settings somewhere? I freaking cannot run this game with my Logitech G920 if I have to use 900 degrees of rotation. This isn't the the FFB problem; it's just that every time I try to drive, I re-pull an arm muscle trying to muscle the car through sharp curves.

I hate this freaking wheel! But in games where I can change the rotation, at least I'm competent.

Yeah, this may just be an old man's problem, but it's my old man's problem.

Did I say I hate this wheel? Well, there you go.

Mikke
26-09-2017, 05:46
Have you correctly calibrated the wheel in settings? In my personal experience with the G920, I have not had this issue.

huntRACING
26-09-2017, 09:18
I had this issue, but actually it's a non-issue.

When the game asked me to calibrate the wheel it asked me to rotate the wheel to full lock - which I did. Then it said turn the wheel to 90 degrees - which I did. The result was that the game recognised the full lock of the wheel - and yes! - trying to drive a kart on 900 degree rotation is tricky to say the least.

The solution is that you go to Calibrate Wheel. When it asks you to turn to full lock only turn it to the extreme lock you want to use. For me this was approx 110 degrees anti-clockwise, ... then hit 'A'. Then you need to turn the wheel 90 degrees and hit 'A'. I turned mine from centre to 90 degrees clockwise. The result is that the karts have full lock on only just 110 degrees (estimate) turn of the wheel.

It has made a world of difference as before I was continually restarting and getting very very frustrated. Now all cars drive well. However, I am preparing myself for that moment when a certain track / car combination will need recalibrating the wheel. Even if this is true, it is simply a 10 second operation.

Do let me know how you get on. Perhaps I've misunderstood your question or maybe after this you'll be flying - let's hope the latter.

drathuu
26-09-2017, 09:33
Good idea hunt, but when the game applies a soft lock (For cars with smaller steering racks), you may find this a disadvantage.. however i never tested the karts, i thought the softlock should kick in around 3/4 of a turn.. (Possibly the FFB isnt forcing the soft lock on your wheel) ?

huntRACING
26-09-2017, 10:47
Good idea hunt, but when the game applies a soft lock (For cars with smaller steering racks), you may find this a disadvantage.. however i never tested the karts, i thought the softlock should kick in around 3/4 of a turn.. (Possibly the FFB isnt forcing the soft lock on your wheel) ?

Perhaps, I didn't think of that. But the adjustment still worked and has done for other cars. What I need to test is some racing cars on tracks with really tight turns and left to rights. If the steering copes with the high weight transfer and rapid decel and accel then I'm on a winner.

Bealdor
26-09-2017, 10:51
I honestly don't understand your approach guys. The game is designed to always use your correct steering angle so there's no need to calibrate to an artificial value.
If you want to be able to make turns with less steering angle on your wheel you should adjust the steering ratio in the car setup.

Roger Prynne
26-09-2017, 10:55
I've never understood this myself and never had any problems with steering lock.

Franco Ferrari
26-09-2017, 11:43
If you want to be able to make turns with less steering angle on your wheel you should adjust the steering ratio in the car setup.

This ^^
Karts have always been a bad customer to me... in the sense that they required orders of magnitude of greater steering sensitivity than regular cars.
In fact on karts I always set the steering ratio at the maximum value in the setup, and this helps to some extent... but usually something else is also needed, setup-wise.

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 11:49
To add to the answers to the OP: the game uses the wheel rotation of the real car that you're driving in the game. So provided that you calibrated the wheel correctly in the game, cars will behave as their real-life counterparts. If the car has too much steering angle for you, blame real life :)

Foolsjester
26-09-2017, 12:27
I honestly don't understand your approach guys. The game is designed to always use your correct steering angle so there's no need to calibrate to an artificial value.

Soft lock dor is not working or not implemented? Do I have to set steering angle per car?

I.e. 900* rotation fine for road cars but not for indy car.

Pc1 had soft lock, pc2 this is not working!

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 12:34
Soft lock dor is not working or not implemented? Do I have to set steering angle per car?

I.e. 900* rotation fine for road cars but not for indy car.

Pc1 had soft lock, pc2 this is not working!
Do you mean that the steering angle doesn't change per car, or only that the soft lock itself doesn't kick in when reaching max steering angle?

Foolsjester
26-09-2017, 12:37
Do you mean that the steering angle doesn't change per car, or only that the soft lock itself doesn't kick in when reaching max steering angle?

Calibrated to 900. Steering turns 900 ON ALL CARS. I have RAW setting with high ish ffb and no soft lock kicks in.

XB1, indy car stays at 900 for full steering lock. Can't see any options for soft lock. If implemented by default then NOT working on xb1

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 12:40
Calibrated to 900. Steering turns 900 ON ALL CARS. I have RAW setting with high ish ffb and no soft lock kicks in.

XB1, indy car stays at 900 for full steering lock. Can't see any options for soft lock. If implemented by default then NOT working on xb1

So the FFB for soft lock does not work. But does the on-screen steering wheel (or the front wheels, if steering wheel is disabled) stop turning before you reach full rotation on your FFB wheel?

Foolsjester
26-09-2017, 12:43
So the FFB for soft lock does not work. But does the on-screen steering wheel (or the front wheels, if steering wheel is disabled) stop turning before you reach full rotation on your FFB wheel?

I see what you saying. Wheel rotation on car stops at correct angle but wheel keeps turning all way to 900.

Its the soft lock that should kick in when car steering ratio is reached that is missing

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 12:49
OK thanks for the clarification.

Wannabe1
31-12-2017, 13:04
Hate reviving an old thread, but I am having this exact issue. my G27 keeps turing to 900, ingame wheel will stop turning when it's full lock. I don't feel any soft lock with any cars (Karts, GT4, Formula, Rallycross...)

Zaskarspants
31-12-2017, 13:22
The softlock on my g920 is working fine.

You do need to avoid settings that give a very stiff or strong feel on a low torque wheel as the softlock effect will be overwhelmed by the existing large forces.

Gysepy
31-12-2017, 19:04
Can you change the wheel degree of rotation in the settings somewhere? I freaking cannot run this game with my Logitech G920 if I have to use 900 degrees of rotation. This isn't the the FFB problem; it's just that every time I try to drive, I re-pull an arm muscle trying to muscle the car through sharp curves.

I hate this freaking wheel! But in games where I can change the rotation, at least I'm competent.

Yeah, this may just be an old man's problem, but it's my old man's problem.

Did I say I hate this wheel? Well, there you go.

I was in the situation, i mostly run with race cars and rarely use the street cars so 900 is too much. I believe most of the race cars GT3' for example would run 560 degree of rotation, If you try to set it to 560 in the wheel calibration setup its incorrect the numbers are different.

So this is what i do:

1: Calibrate the wheel to 100 Steering Range
2: On the steering Lock set it to 1440 and save (this is in fact 560 degrees of rotation)
2: In the car setup menu on track adjust the wheel rotation to your liking.

This works for me hope it sorts your problem.

glewis160
10-05-2018, 10:57
I was in the situation, i mostly run with race cars and rarely use the street cars so 900 is too much. I believe most of the race cars GT3' for example would run 560 degree of rotation, If you try to set it to 560 in the wheel calibration setup its incorrect the numbers are different.

So this is what i do:

1: Calibrate the wheel to 100 Steering Range
2: On the steering Lock set it to 1440 and save (this is in fact 560 degrees of rotation)
2: In the car setup menu on track adjust the wheel rotation to your liking.

This works for me hope it sorts your problem.

This isnít correct: to get 540 rotation works like this:

900-540 = 360

900+360 = 1260

A mclaren GT3 has a lock of 640

So 900-640 = 260
900+260 = 1160

Try it on the in game settings and then change it to 1160 your steering lock is exactly the same

Zaskarspants
10-05-2018, 11:47
You should set your wheel for max rotation in calibration.

The game will only allow the correct irl rotation for each car befor soft lock kicks in and the wheel on screen stops rotating.

If you want more or less rotation for full steering lock then you will need to change the steering ratio in the car set up.

Soft lock will sometimes not be noticed often on low torque wheels ( anything less than fanatec ) very much so when running immersive / informative or a stiff wheel.

If your ffb is clipping you will not notice soft lock, it can only be as strong as your wheels max torque.

Juiced46
10-05-2018, 22:20
This isn’t correct: to get 540 rotation works like this:

900-540 = 360

900+360 = 1260

A mclaren GT3 has a lock of 640

So 900-640 = 260
900+260 = 1160

Try it on the in game settings and then change it to 1160 your steering lock is exactly the same

You are way over complicating this. There is no reason to do any of this. Like mentioned, set your wheel to max DOR. Calibrate PROPERLY. 100 on the lock then 90* wheel rotation and you are all set. From there, adjust steering ratio within car setup.

Hammerpgh
11-05-2018, 09:01
You are way over complicating this. There is no reason to do any of this. Like mentioned, set your wheel to max DOR. Calibrate PROPERLY. 100 on the lock then 90* wheel rotation and you are all set. From there, adjust steering ratio within car setup.

Can I just clarify as this is not something that is clear in the descriptions when calibrating your wheel. After you turn the wheel full lock to 100 (occasionally mine does not go to 100 but get's stuck at 98... is that a problem?) it then says turn it 90 degree's. So is this 90 degrees from the 100 lock position or do I turn my wheel back to centre and then turn it 90 degrees. There have been so many conflicting explanations of this I would just like to know for absolute certain.

What I find is that when I sometimes get a loss of FFB (after checking a replay or dropping to the dashboard for something) the only way to get the FFB back is to unplug the wheel but then when I get back on track the car turns like a bus and I have to change the DoR on my wheel to 540 (three green flashes) then all is ok again.

Zaskarspants
11-05-2018, 10:27
Can I just clarify as this is not something that is clear in the descriptions when calibrating your wheel. After you turn the wheel full lock to 100 (occasionally mine does not go to 100 but get's stuck at 98... is that a problem?) it then says turn it 90 degree's. So is this 90 degrees from the 100 lock position or do I turn my wheel back to centre and then turn it 90 degrees. There have been so many conflicting explanations of this I would just like to know for absolute certain.

What I find is that when I sometimes get a loss of FFB (after checking a replay or dropping to the dashboard for something) the only way to get the FFB back is to unplug the wheel but then when I get back on track the car turns like a bus and I have to change the DoR on my wheel to 540 (three green flashes) then all is ok again.

Turn the wheel from centre an angle of 90 degrees.

If your ffb is disappearing you may also have another problem. My ffb has never disappeared, I suggest checking the continuity of your wheel connections.

Hammerpgh
11-05-2018, 11:11
Turn the wheel from centre an angle of 90 degrees.

If your ffb is disappearing you may also have another problem. My ffb has never disappeared, I suggest checking the continuity of your wheel connections.

Cheers. No problem with the wheel, it's a problem with this game only and a well known issue outlined in other threads.

Zaskarspants
11-05-2018, 11:22
Cheers. No problem with the wheel, it's a problem with this game only and a well known issue outlined in other threads.

I mentioned this as I once had a issue with my ffb caused by a wire being crushed against the wall behind the pedals and damaging the insulation causing some problems.