PDA

View Full Version : How to change options during a pit stop?

vglnte102
26-09-2017, 05:23
I see pit strategy before the race, but what about in the race? Can you just pull in and bring up a menu to change things like In pcars 1? I pull in and can't get anything to come up. Just sit there sms it shoots me out after a few seconds

Konan
26-09-2017, 05:40
You need to assign a button for it: options -> controls -> edit assignments -> game -> car management

vglnte102
29-09-2017, 03:59
I saw that, but I'm talking a pit stop. Fuel and tires.

kevin kirk
29-09-2017, 04:14
I saw that, but I'm talking a pit stop. Fuel and tires.

map your buttons and when the drop down window appear scroll down the choices and find the one for pitting.

jimortality
29-09-2017, 04:19
map your buttons and when the drop down window appear scroll down the choices and find the one for pitting.

at 200 mph lol I find it tricky

aelson.guerra
29-09-2017, 13:14

Yeah!! choosing pit strategy at full speed is very hard!!

major sunscreen
29-09-2017, 14:18
I have some pre-made profiles edited and saved E.G. wet to dry no fuel, fuel only, dry to wet. Then selecting the appropriate one is a lot easier..

Mon Pavion
29-09-2017, 15:15
It is almost impossible to do at full race pace for me. I REALLY wish i could just pause it, make my selection, and continue.

Unrealistic i know, but IRL drivers have radios to communicate, not trying to scroll through drop down menus while driving at 200mph.

Gix916
29-09-2017, 18:24
would be nice if the ICM box could be moveable so you can put it somewhere you can see it better. On my screen it is partially obscured by my wheel so I have to peer round the wheel to see what I'm selecting. (and usually crash in the process)

kevin kirk
29-09-2017, 18:35
.... Well its really nothing compared to the what F1 drivers do every lap, sometimes corner to corner. Map them to were you can do it and still drive the car. After you do it a couple of times it will become muscle memory and you wont even have to look at the menu to do it.

Hans Off
04-10-2017, 15:15
They could re implement the perfectly good system that they used in PC1! the strategy box used to pop up on pit entry, a few clicks and then done.

The management menu could be useful but it's hardly an improvement on on the fly strategy changes.

Especially as fuel loads seem to be pure guesswork without the lap estimates!

PervasiveFall8
04-10-2017, 20:09
.... Well its really nothing compared to the what F1 drivers do every lap, sometimes corner to corner. Map them to were you can do it and still drive the car. After you do it a couple of times it will become muscle memory and you wont even have to look at the menu to do it.
I have to agree with this - I am struggling a bit while I adjust. I see this as better when I get use to it, especially because now I can adjust TCS, Brake Bias on the fly which should be useful on rain starting in a stint. Its just different and I'm struggling a bit to do it while driving. I'm thinking once I got it down, I'll be able to do this coming into the pits depending on where the box is.

Separate note I also am in WV on the eastern panhandle.

vglnte102
20-11-2017, 20:51
So...back to this. There is no way to pull into the pits, open a menu and change things like in pcars 1? How can you predict every instance with a premade option? What if I want wets and just 3L of fuel instead of 5L of fuel. I have to somehow make an option for that? This cant be right

Fight-Test
20-11-2017, 21:09
if you leave it on default it won't change your tires unless you need them. It will fill tank to the perfect level to finish race and fix your damage.

Rockefelluh
21-11-2017, 01:29
It is almost impossible to do at full race pace for me. I REALLY wish i could just pause it, make my selection, and continue.

Unrealistic i know, but IRL drivers have radios to communicate, not trying to scroll through drop down menus while driving at 200mph.

Not totally unrealistic. Teams change the strategies on the fly in the pits. In my opinion this option would not inhibit realism.

hkraft300
21-11-2017, 06:49
So...back to this. There is no way to pull into the pits, open a menu and change things like in pcars 1? How can you predict every instance with a premade option? What if I want wets and just 3L of fuel instead of 5L of fuel. I have to somehow make an option for that? This cant be right

This:

if you leave it on default it won't change your tires unless you need them. It will fill tank to the perfect level to finish race and fix your damage.

Also if you set a button for ICM (in car management) you can adjust fuel, choice of compound etc for a preset strategy you have saved/created before the race.

Zeem
21-11-2017, 10:28
They really should have just figured the user-friendly route would be to simply have the game pause whilst navigating the ICM. Then none of this menu stuff would even be an issue.

hkraft300
21-11-2017, 10:47
That definitely works for SP/offline.
Not so much for online races.

Sarcross
21-11-2017, 14:05
I generally do it over the course of a lap or two. I bring the menu up around the last corner and change as much as I can on the Start/Finish straight. It's not really ideal but if you aren't altering your saved strategy that much you should be fine.

JasonSandwich
21-11-2017, 17:22
I'd like to reorder the pit strategies during practice or assign a button to one or two strategies specifically, making it a pit-in with strategy x or y. I think that this would make the decision at 200mph a bit more manageable.

breyzipp
21-11-2017, 17:59

You know I fully agree with this and even though I do like the ICM a lot, I would also wish we could just pauze the game and adjust the ICM from the pauze menu as well.

All things together I liked the PCARS 1 system more, you don't worry about anything and just drive. If you decide to pit then you set it up at the pit entry pauze menu. Now in PCARS 2 you need to plan ahead and save multiple possible scenarios, I'm not much a fan of that. :)

I like the ICM though but I would like a pauze menu to adjust the pit setup as well.

GT:Sport absolutely nailed the pit stop window IMO, that is 100% perfect and totally what I would want:
- First all possible tires pop up : hard-medium-soft-inter-wet (or no change).
- Then it starts fueling and you see the estimated number of laps, you just press the stop fuelling button in real time when you feel comfortable and you're done.
Complicated things done in an easy way, totally my style.

vglnte102
22-11-2017, 03:38
Exactly. If I was doing some crazy online race, then ok. But I don't. I just want to drive my simulator I have at home fast and painless. I don't want to set shit up all over. I want to grab some friends, pic a track and car, and go race it. Not spend an hour putting in pits. It's gotten to complicated. Dumb it down for us eh? Lol

Camdaz
02-03-2018, 18:26
I don't mind using the ICM for pit strategy as it's all done with the D-pad on my wheel. I've saved a pit stop strategy for all tyre choices with and without fuel, plus a couple for fuel only (half and full). During a race it's just a matter of selecting the one you want. Any thing else you can change on the fly.
The only problem with the saved pitstops is you have to remember to set the tyre pressure for each saved strategy you may use before the start of the race. It would be handy if there was was a setting in the options menu to use the current car's pressures.

Hammerpgh
06-05-2018, 20:38
I'm still currently finding the ICM quite cumbersome. I do try to have strategies saved to cover various scenarios but it would be better only to have ones for the currently driven car available rather than all those you've created for all cars. That makes it unmanageable.

The on the fly changes are very tricky as has already been outlined. It's more manageable if your pit box is towards the end of the pit lane but if it's close to the front you've got no chance :moody:. I would also rather the ICM stayed open longer or until I physically close it so I don't have to start from scratch each time I open it. Racing at Long Beach online last night it was so difficult to adjust my strategy around that circuit, especially when something happened at the hairpin that meant I needed to make a quick stop for something not pre-planned.

foxymop
07-05-2018, 12:46
The problem is that the menu closes too fast.
You open the menu, you drive a bit more, you return to the menu and opss, menu closed.

JasonSandwich
07-05-2018, 13:40
We do have keyboard support in the game now. Maybe it'd be possible to assign a strategy to a key, or at least have one or two (let's say the top two by default) strategies assigned to a key we decide in the menu.

Or maybe if the ICM menu is up and we tap-tap a button only while the ICM is up, then we cycle through strategies. Something that wouldn't necessarily ruin us, like the wiper blades button, tapping wipers twice while the menu is open would not activate the wipers but if the menu closed before we got to it, we'd at worst just turn on/off the wipers instead of pit speed or something like that.

I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

Fight-Test
07-05-2018, 15:44
We do have keyboard support in the game now. Maybe it'd be possible to assign a strategy to a key, or at least have one or two (let's say the top two by default) strategies assigned to a key we decide in the menu.

Or maybe if the ICM menu is up and we tap-tap a button only while the ICM is up, then we cycle through strategies. Something that wouldn't necessarily ruin us, like the wiper blades button, tapping wipers twice while the menu is open would not activate the wipers but if the menu closed before we got to it, we'd at worst just turn on/off the wipers instead of pit speed or something like that.

I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

Yes voice attack.

hkraft300
07-05-2018, 23:42
I'm still currently finding the ICM quite cumbersome. I do try to have strategies saved to cover various scenarios but it would be better only to have ones for the currently driven car available rather than all those you've created for all cars. That makes it unmanageable.

You don’t have to set individual strategy for different cars.
I have fuel, tires, damage and use the same ones for every car, with pressure changes. Use the icm to select fuel and compound. Tricky at long beach, though.

Yes voice attack.

F1 ‘17 system wasn’t half bad on PS4 I’ve been told. Voice pit commands.

JasonSandwich
08-05-2018, 13:34
Yes voice attack.

That would be tough for those who don't have a headset like myself (or need to be quiet when the kids are sleeping) but I love the idea. :)

Hammerpgh
08-05-2018, 14:37
You don’t have to set individual strategy for different cars.
I have fuel, tires, damage and use the same ones for every car, with pressure changes. Use the icm to select fuel and compound. Tricky at long beach, though.

F1 ‘17 system wasn’t half bad on PS4 I’ve been told. Voice pit commands.
I'm afraid for me I have to have something different as the races I run are very different so require a different strategies. Some may require a full tank of fuel and others not. Some require tyre changes and the different cars need very different tyre pressures so changing them for each race is a real pita. They should make it so that the strategy for each car is just for that car and does not show up in the ICM of any other car.

hkraft300
08-05-2018, 16:27
GT3 cars have very similar tire pressures. Besides, you should be adjusting on a per-race basis anyway subject to conditions you will face.

I just go for a mad button mash adjust the strategies for tire pressures, during the ready screen! Everything else, I use the icm.

Hammerpgh
09-05-2018, 09:58
GT3 cars have very similar tire pressures. Besides, you should be adjusting on a per-race basis anyway subject to conditions you will face.

I just go for a mad button mash adjust the strategies for tire pressures, during the ready screen! Everything else, I use the icm.

I am racing Indycars, classic cars and GT3 cars hence why the strategies are very different. I agree you adjust on a per-race basis but I would have liked to have some base strategies there per car. Not a biggie but just something that would be handy. The ICM I just find very fiddly while driving in terms of changing strategies on the fly but i'm sure with practice i'll get used to it.

julia-6
17-05-2018, 19:35
I find the ICM insane and have to pull off the side of the track to use it. lol. It's worse than texting while driving. Distracted driving leads to accidents. It's too complicated ATM and if I need to use it I'll restart the race and redo my pit strategy if in SP. If in a MP race, well, I'm sort of up a creek. Some day voice recognition interfaces will be included but that won't be on this generation of hardware.

AlexP
23-08-2018, 03:43
Well, you said it: the TEAMS and not the drivers. Also, you have to keep in mind that you have to make mental calculations to establish the relationship between race remain time and the laps you could give at that time.

AlexP
23-08-2018, 03:49
They should leave it optional in a single player. If you want to set the ICM in pause mode or continue as the current mode. In addition, I pose the following situation: you are in a 2 hour race in Long Beach, before starting the race in which you planned to enter for fuel in minute 110 but due to an accident you must enter before and you must calculate the number of laps that you could give in the new remaining time; Making the fuel change that you initially planned is impossible.

middlemanSI
23-08-2018, 05:21
When you request pit, the crew chief should tell you something like: "We adjusted the fuel amount for this strategy, you should be good to finish the race"
Or maybe "would you like to adjust the current strategy in this way? Yes No"

eh?
eh?

Hammerpgh
24-08-2018, 08:45
I still can't deal well with the ICM and what's worse for me is that if you have to adjust on the fly for some reason it seems to actually alter your set strategy. So for instance, last night I was racing at Laguna Seca in the Indycar and I took some damage so manually selected to just fix that damage and not take on any fuel or tyres as I did not either to get to the end of the race.

When I later checked my strategies the one that I had selected for my normal stops (full fuel, change of tyres, custom repairs) now showed No fuel and No tyres.. so the on the fly ICM adjustments actually alter and 'save' your default strategy. I was not aware of that :/

On a separate matter it's a real pain changing the fuel on the fly because when you have the fuel option selected in the ICM rather than just being able to hold the left d-pad button in and the fuel dropping you have to keep clicking it one or more clicks for each lap of fuel you want to remove (or add).. so to get down from a full load to zero takes an age!! What's that about :/

Atak Kat
24-08-2018, 09:46
I still can't deal well with the ICM and what's worse for me is that if you have to adjust on the fly for some reason it seems to actually alter your set strategy. So for instance, last night I was racing at Laguna Seca in the Indycar and I took some damage so manually selected to just fix that damage and not take on any fuel or tyres as I did not either to get to the end of the race.

When I later checked my strategies the one that I had selected for my normal stops (full fuel, change of tyres, custom repairs) now showed No fuel and No tyres.. so the on the fly ICM adjustments actually alter and 'save' your default strategy. I was not aware of that :/

On a separate matter it's a real pain changing the fuel on the fly because when you have the fuel option selected in the ICM rather than just being able to hold the left d-pad button in and the fuel dropping you have to keep clicking it one or more clicks for each lap of fuel you want to remove (or add).. so to get down from a full load to zero takes an age!! What's that about :/

Yes, I discovered that it overwrites/saves it as well. Cocked up a race that way once.... It's a bit annoying if you don't remember to go back and adjust it again later.
I like the ICM, but there are too many levels to go through to find what you're after. It would be better (imo) if it was maybe 2 levels deep and that's it. I'd rather just go down a longer list to get to what I need, rather than keep going up/down the levels to find it. And yes, clicking the D-pad button each time is annoying for changing the fuel amount if you have to change it by a lot.

Or, voice commands would be great!

Or, if there was a way to have a series of keystrokes to do everything in the ICM, then at least you could program a key-macro and make your own shortcuts.

Hammerpgh
24-08-2018, 10:50
Yes, I discovered that it overwrites/saves it as well. Cocked up a race that way once.... It's a bit annoying if you don't remember to go back and adjust it again later.
I like the ICM, but there are too many levels to go through to find what you're after. It would be better (imo) if it was maybe 2 levels deep and that's it. I'd rather just go down a longer list to get to what I need, rather than keep going up/down the levels to find it. And yes, clicking the D-pad button each time is annoying for changing the fuel amount if you have to change it by a lot.

Or, voice commands would be great!

Or, if there was a way to have a series of keystrokes to do everything in the ICM, then at least you could program a key-macro and make your own shortcuts.

Yeah I agree with your comments. From now on I am just trying to make sure that I have a set strategy for as many eventualities as possible before the race so I can avoid using the ICM to adjust a strategy on the fly. It's difficult though as you need so many and it's still a pain having to scroll through so many to find the one you want while racing though, especially on some of the tighter, twistier tracks.

I'm not sure what the answer is to these type of menu's but definitely this one is the most difficult to manage that I have come across.

hkraft300
24-08-2018, 11:36
Hint: never use the default pit strategy.

Hammerpgh
24-08-2018, 12:52
Hint: never use the default pit strategy.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my explanation... when I say the default pit strategy I mean the one that you set as your strategy before the race. So for example, in my race last night I created a strategy called Dal Pri Fl Rep xEG that called for a full fuel load, change from alternate to primary tyres and repair all except for engine and gearbox. I selected this as my race strategy before I went to the grid. Worked perfectly for my first pit stop but then I had the incident that caused my aero damage so I adjusted the strategy on the fly, changed the fuel to zero, set the tyres to 'none' so it wouldn't attempt to change them and left the repair settings as it was. At the pit stop they did exactly as I asked so that's fine. But when I went to do another race and went into the pit strategy screen that same strategy I had created (Dal Pri Fl Rep xEG) now was set to not put in any fuel or change tyres.

Of course now I know this I will just make sure I double check my saved strategy before the race but if during a race I do an on the fly adjustment for any reason but then later in the race want to go back to my 'set' race strategy I can't without undoing the adjustments I previously made. A way around it of course would be to create a 'duplicate' race strategy and and just select that to ensure don;t get the 'adjusted' strategy but it's just not something that I think should be required.

hkraft300
24-08-2018, 14:32
You could save some alternate "contingency" strategies.
For when things go south.

ReadingRich
24-08-2018, 14:41
Incident aside if I know I need to make a short stint at the end of a race I switch stragies for the next stop while trundling down pit road towards pit exit.
Just makes it a bit easier and one less thing to do at full speed.

Hammerpgh
24-08-2018, 14:59
Yeah, I think for things that you have planned there are little things that you can do to circumvent the problems of accessing the ICM while on track. It's those unexpected things that cause the real issues with the way it works. It's impossible to cover all things without having a screen full of strategies saved and then of course you have the problem of different cars strategies also being included rather than just those relevant to the car you are in. I am not sure what the answer is in all honesty I guess just one of those shortfalls that we have as individuals playing a game that includes parts where a team are involved in the real world.

ReadingRich
24-08-2018, 15:03
Yeah, I think for things that you have planned there are little things that you can do to circumvent the problems of accessing the ICM while on track. It's those unexpected things that cause the real issues with the way it works. It's impossible to cover all things without having a screen full of strategies saved and then of course you have the problem of different cars strategies also being included rather than just those relevant to the car you are in. I am not sure what the answer is in all honesty I guess just one of those shortfalls that we have as individuals playing a game that includes parts where a team are involved in the real world.

Yeah I don’t think one person can cover it all and it’s one of the better systems I’ve tried.