PDA

View Full Version : Triple screen & Oculus Rift

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 07:01
Hi, will it solve the triple screen problem with oculus Rift? With triple resolution starting the game with Rift the menu is distorted and on the track the screen stays black. You must disable nvidia surround. do we have any solution?

King regards

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 07:05
Hi, will it solve the triple screen problem with oculus Rift? With triple resolution starting the game with Rift the menu is distorted and on the track the screen stays black. You must disable nvidia surround. do we have any solution?

King regardsI guess the question might be why would you? I can understand testing triples vs VR back to back but after that I wouldn't want to mirror VR on triples as I would believe it might impact performance.

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 07:19
pCars 1 stores the resolution set in the Rift, you do not need to disable nvidia surround

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 09:09
pCars 1 stores the resolution set in the Rift, you do not need to disable nvidia surroundNo need to disable nvidia surround, I have it enabled and run Project CARS2 in the Rift, I just set the resolution for monitors to a smallish window so the VR mirrorto monitor is a useful size and have triple screens disabled in the UI.

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 10:17
No need to disable nvidia surround, I have it enabled and run Project CARS2 in the Rift, I just set the resolution for monitors to a smallish window so the VR mirrorto monitor is a useful size and have triple screens disabled in the UI.
But do you throw it straight from the rift home? Let me know that I try.

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 12:00
But do you throw it straight from the rift home? Let me know that I try.No just start it from Steam & select Oculus option

MichelF
26-09-2017, 13:42
Hi, Is there any way to set the specific resolution for the VR headset (I am using PIMAX and also have the black screen when on the track)without having to change the one in the normal game when using triple screen? is there any specifc configuration files? I was looking on the SteamVR config files but couldn't find the resolution in :
But do you throw it straight from the rift home? Let me know that I try.

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 15:34
Hi, Is there any way to set the specific resolution for the VR headset (I am using PIMAX and also have the black screen when on the track)without having to change the one in the normal game when using triple screen? is there any specifc configuration files? I was looking on the SteamVR config files but couldn't find the resolution in :
I can not make it go, even though I start it from the Rift home. if I do not disable nvidia surround I can not play, black screen. I hope someone helps us, does not leave. I also tried to change the resolution from the oculus setting file but nothing.

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 16:13
I can not make it go, even though I start it from the Rift home. if I do not disable nvidia surround I can not play, black screen. I hope someone helps us, does not leave. I also tried to change the resolution from the oculus setting file but nothing.Rather than disable nvidia surround, can you not start PC2 in monitor mode, disable triple screens and set a windowed resolution (doesn't really matter what, just something that is readable on screen) exit and then start PC2 in Rift mode?

I realise this would be a pain if you are regularly switching between triples and Rift in PC2 but once you are set on a preference it wouldn't matter. I have nividia surround for some other games and exclusively use the Rift for PC2, so I keep nvidia surround enabled all the time.

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 16:23
Rather than disable nvidia surround, can you not start PC2 in monitor mode, disable triple screens and set a windowed resolution (doesn't really matter what, just something that is readable on screen) exit and then start PC2 in Rift mode?

I realise this would be a pain if you are regularly switching between triples and Rift in PC2 but once you are set on a preference it wouldn't matter. I have nividia surround for some other games and exclusively use the Rift for PC2, so I keep nvidia surround enabled all the time.
in pCars 1 this problem does not exist, if i want to play triple screen boot normally, if i want to play with the rift boot it in rift mode, it is not normal that every time I want to play with rift I have to disable nvidia surround. here nobody answers the question !!!

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 16:30
in pCars 1 this problem does not exist, if i want to play triple screen boot normally, if i want to play with the rift boot it in rift mode, it is not normal that every time I want to play with rift I have to disable nvidia surround. here nobody answers the question !!!Ok but if you do what I said can you use the Rift without disabling nvidia surround?

Genuine question, why do you want to keep swapping between triples and Rift for the same game?

MustangSVT
26-09-2017, 16:42
Ok but if you do what I said can you use the Rift without disabling nvidia surround?

Genuine question, why do you want to keep swapping between triples and Rift for the same game?

I have the same problem as the original poster. I too switch between Rift and triples quite often for the same game, and I don't experience any issues in Assetto Corsa or iRacing (or Project CARS 1 for that matter). Why would you want to switch? Sometimes you may get tired of VR for whatever reason and you want to play on your screen, simple as that. The main issue is that the VR doesn't have its own resolution saved for the menus, so the menus and user interface get rendered as very narrow (since it's squeezing in a triples resolution into the VR space). In Assetto, I use presets in Content Manager to get around this issue (or you can just switch resolution in the menu if you're not using Content Manager). In PCars 2, a quick way to do this doesn't seem to exist. Ideally we'd be able to set a separate "VR" resolution for menus. Worth noting that the real issue is with the menus. AC for example doesn't have VR menus, and neither does iRacing (the menu is a website), so by design the issue isn't really there.

faisalero
26-09-2017, 16:51
Ok but if you do what I said can you use the Rift without disabling nvidia surround?

i use a triple as well and i swap between VR and monitors as i can't play VR for long periods of time so i go back to triples :rolleyes:

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 16:56
I have the same problem as the original poster. I too switch between Rift and triples quite often for the same game, and I don't experience any issues in Assetto Corsa or iRacing (or Project CARS 1 for that matter). Why would you want to switch? Sometimes you may get tired of VR for whatever reason and you want to play on your screen, simple as that. The main issue is that the VR doesn't have its own resolution saved for the menus, so the menus and user interface get rendered as very narrow (since it's squeezing in a triples resolution into the VR space). In Assetto, I use presets in Content Manager to get around this issue (or you can just switch resolution in the menu if you're not using Content Manager). In PCars 2, a quick way to do this doesn't seem to exist. Ideally we'd be able to set a separate "VR" resolution for menus. Worth noting that the real issue is with the menus. AC for example doesn't have VR menus, and neither does iRacing (the menu is a website), so by design the issue isn't really there.I see. I think there maybe a way of setting startup short cuts rather than disable surround or manually change resolutions each time. I will dig around!

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 17:21
Ok, a quick & dirty fix is when you want to use VR is to add -notriplescreen in the launch options (right click Project Cars 2 in Steam, properties, set launch options). I have just tested this in VR and with triples set up without -notriplescreen I get the black screen, add it and it works fine.

A neater solution would be to set up shortcuts on the desktop to launch PC2 in VR or triples. I will dig around some more :)

MustangSVT
26-09-2017, 17:28
Ok, a quick & dirty fix is when you want to use VR is to add -notriplescreen in the launch options (right click Project Cars 2 in Steam, properties, set launch options). I have just tested this in VR and with triples set up without -notriplescreen I get the black screen, add it and it works fine.

A neater solution would be to set up shortcuts on the desktop to launch PC2 in VR or triples. I will dig around some more :)
If I could have 2 shortcuts to launch it in either mode, that would be absolutely perfect I think.

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 17:30

I changed the optimum resolution (no triple) to oculusgraphicsetting, the menu is ok, normal as pCars1 but at the start of the race the display is black, with resolution triple.

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 17:40
Edit - still get black screen, Will try again!

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 17:59
Ok this worked for me. Set up your triples with the resolution you want and exit the game

Modify your Project CARS 2 desktop shortcut as follows (if you don't have one you can create in Steam, right click on Project CARS 2 and Create Desktop Shortcut):

Right click on shortcut and in the Web document tab change URL to steam://launch/378860/Triplescreen click ok

Copy the desktop shortcut and modify it (as above) so the URL says steam://launch/378860/Vr click ok

Rename the last short cut to something like Project CARS 2 VR

Test both shortcuts
nothing to do, part regularly in vr, ok menu, in race black screen.

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 18:00
nothing to do, part regularly in vr, ok menu, in race black screen.Yeh, I realise I still had -notriplescreen in the launch parameters when I tried the shortcut. My apologies :(

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 18:03
Yeh, I realise I still had -notriplescreen in the launch parameters when I tried the shortcut. My apologies :(

of nothing, we are here to try to solve, thank you for the support.

Tony Rickard
26-09-2017, 18:43
Ok the shortcuts I tried had the following urls:

steam://launch/378860/Vr
steam://launch/378860/Triplescreen

What I need to do is add the -notriplescreen parameter set in launch options to the Vr shortcut but it doesn't seem to work. I get the black screen when entering a race.

If anyone knows Steam desktop shortcuts maybe they could help resolve this?

donaldbond
26-09-2017, 19:09
Ok the shortcuts I tried had the following urls:

steam://launch/378860/Vr
steam://launch/378860/Triplescreen

What I need to do is add the -notriplescreen parameter set in launch options to the Vr shortcut but it doesn't seem to work. I get the black screen when entering a race.

If anyone knows Steam desktop shortcuts maybe they could help resolve this?
for me it's a game problem, Steam has little to do. Pcars1 does not have these problems, I have checked the two oculusgraphicsetting and are almost the same, there are very few things to change. hopefully they resolve soon, or somebody to give you some solution.

MichelF
27-09-2017, 08:57
Disable triple screen in the game menu screen in VR mode made the things works. So windows and other games are still in triple screen.

MichelF
27-09-2017, 09:03
BTW prior to disabling the triple screen in the VR Mode, I had also set the resolution of the game in normal mode to the one of the headset.
It was not enough anyway and I still had black screen, only disabling triple screen in VR mode via menu worked.
I will try to revert to native triple screen resolution in normal mode and give the conclusion by tomorrow if both actions are needed or only disabling triple screen is enough

Tony Rickard
27-09-2017, 10:18
BTW prior to disabling the triple screen in the VR Mode, I had also set the resolution of the game in normal mode to the one of the headset.
It was not enough anyway and I still had black screen, only disabling triple screen in VR mode via menu worked.
I will try to revert to native triple screen resolution in normal mode and give the conclusion by tomorrow if both actions are needed or only disabling triple screen is enoughIt works with triple screen resolution but with triple screen spanning unticked. As soon as you tick the triple screen spanning option and restart in VR you get the black screen issue.

MichelF
27-09-2017, 13:13
Yes, I had it ticked so I just unticked it and it works. Which means that when saying disabling I was just meaning ubticking :p
QUOTE=Tony Rickard;1370503]It works with triple screen resolution but with triple screen spanning unticked. As soon as you tick the triple screen spanning option and restart in VR you get the black screen issue.[/QUOTE]

donaldbond
28-09-2017, 06:49
Disable triple screen in the game menu screen in VR mode made the things works. So windows and other games are still in triple screen.

good, it works !!! now I hope that with the next patch they fix it, when it starts in VR it has to recognize itself and disable the triple screen, like pCars1. Thanks for your advice.