PDA

View Full Version : Trackside Camera Sound in Replays very poor compared to PCars 1

Del-Dredd
26-09-2017, 10:48
Have noticed this with various cars and tracks, the car sound during the replay seems to be played at constant volume.
It does not alter much if at all, it should change with the distance the car is from the camera and have Doppler effects as well.

It makes watching a replay from the trackside camera really annoying as the car looks out of sync with the sound you hear.

I have run same car on same track in Pcars 1 and Pcars 2, the trackside camera sound from Pcars 1 is massively better than Pcars 2 which seems to be just playing the incar sound at a lower volume.

Deyrick

vassalfada
26-09-2017, 10:52
Indeed, volume attenuation seems to be missing (very easy to fix in Fmod) and panning seems off too. It would be nice if it could be fixed, I love to watch replays but the experience is not pleasant at the moment.

homerlvsbeer
29-09-2017, 17:02
AGREED

RaceNut
29-09-2017, 17:27
I agree that the replay audio needs refinement as well as some internal sound balancing between various cars.

f-Mod is quite capable of providing really good audio for both internal / external sounds. Being that the audio is among the last aspects of a title to get focused attention, it's not surprising that some of it may be unfinished or lacking polish at this point.

mister dog
29-09-2017, 19:40
Would you guys agree that this only affects the players car, and the AI for example does sound more convincing when passing by the camera in replays?

McErono
29-09-2017, 19:42
More than happy as it is!

https://youtu.be/efIjc3ikb7o

monte379
29-09-2017, 19:52
I also noticed that the replay only goes back about 2 minutes. Is there a way for it to record your whole session??

vassalfada
30-09-2017, 09:20
Being that the audio is among the last aspects of a title to get focused attention

I can't find any single good reason for that though.

Sounds deserve as much attention as any other area, especially in a racing game where it's an important immersion factor.

It's true that this kind of thoughts ("only graphics are selling, sounds aren't") is quite common in the game industry (sadly) and that it led to too many poor sounding titles (which could have been excellent otherwise) , but imo these statments are from the past.

vassalfada
30-09-2017, 09:21
Would you guys agree that this only affects the players car, and the AI for example does sound more convincing when passing by the camera in replays?

I agree on that, AI sounds seem much smoother, so there's probably some hope ;)

mister dog
30-09-2017, 09:45
I agree on that, AI sounds seem much smoother, so there's probably some hope ;)
Yes I think that's why it sticks out so much, the AI has that monotone 'pack' rumble and a decent doppler effect which sounds believable when you hear them coming/passing by on the trackside cameras, but there's a separate sample being used for the players car in that mix which sounds like your hanging around the car in 3rd person view or something.

Kompressor
30-09-2017, 11:52
I'm totally with guys who is thinking that replay sounds need some tweaking, fixing or rethinking. Player's car is louder than during game-play for no reason - which is forcing to lower the volume every time till levels are comfort - let alone an AI sounds are overwhelmed by it. Don`t see any reason to live it like this.

dbr93
30-09-2017, 12:06
The problem is that volume of player car is much higher
If you watch someone in parabolica at Monza you can hear your car that is at Lesmo 1
Need to try to lowered player sound in setting maybe this fix the problem

vassalfada
30-09-2017, 13:21
After checking it, AI cars sound in replays is the same as for player, no distance filter or better volume attenuation. Only their volume is much lower than player's car, so it's possible to get a better replay balance with the volume sliders in audio menu, but as Kompressor said, it's also forcing us to adjust it everytime we shift from gameplay to replay.

And still, the sound of the cars in distance feels too loud and sharp anyway.

Del-Dredd
30-09-2017, 15:42
PCars 1 managed the Trackside camera Sound well enough, PCars 2 currently has just one volume level for the car wherever it is in relation to the camera, which is just wrong.

I did not think the AI cars were better if any different to be honest.

Hopefully it will be fixed along with some of the issues in patch 2, until then replays are just annoying.

Del-Dredd
30-09-2017, 19:57
I just did the Historic Lotus Invitational at Old Monza, the trackside camera sound in replay was atrocious, you could not really hear anything above the players car noise even when supposedly viewing one of the AI.
It was just loud and overpowered everything, with no adjusting for range or placement of car in relation to the camera at all.

Andre.V
01-10-2017, 00:27
And the replay's volume is much too loud, everytime I have to lower the volume.

Andre

Gergely Szelei
19-10-2017, 19:49
This is being fixed in the next patch.

RaceNut
19-10-2017, 22:32
I can't find any single good reason for that though.

Sounds deserve as much attention as any other area, especially in a racing game where it's an important immersion factor.

It's true that this kind of thoughts ("only graphics are selling, sounds aren't") is quite common in the game industry (sadly) and that it led to too many poor sounding titles (which could have been excellent otherwise) , but imo these statments are from the past.

I didn't mean to suggest that sounds don't deserve more attention in Racing-games, quite the contrary actually. What I'm saying is that within the game development process, the audio aspect is among the last things to get fined-tuned and polished. Clearly there are more things that need to be addressed so I suspect it's all a matter of time.

Gambit74
24-11-2017, 17:46
I have an issue with the track side camera, I use an oculus rift and when I turn on the track side camera it dumps me in the stand like a spectator and doesn't follow my car, also tends to crash to bug report desktop.

Mad Al
25-11-2017, 01:20
I have an issue with the track side camera, I use an oculus rift and when I turn on the track side camera it dumps me in the stand like a spectator and doesn't follow my car, also tends to crash to bug report desktop.

That's a feature.. Use the numpad + and - keys to move around the circuit. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51610-in-replay-mode-trackside-not-work-in-vr&p=1365517#post1365517

I think they are adding the 2D style trackside too for VR in the next patch (don't quote me on that, I haven't checked replays in VR lately)

If you are getting a bugsplat on viewing replays, make sure to fill it in and send it.. hopefully that will lead to a fix

beef24v
27-11-2017, 15:05
hope this gets fixed. its driving me mad:mad:

RaceNut
27-11-2017, 18:53
Dirt Rally and AC are among my favorite titles to watch / listen to replays due to the sounds although, the AC sounds I prefer are largely Fonsecker's sound mods. Some car-sounds in iRacing are quite good but, I don't maintain a subscription so . . .

Reiza is doing some nice sounds (imo) but, the audio-engine seems to be limiting how effective they are in replays - especially in approach / departure effects.

Racing game audio may be perceived as having the most room for improvement of any aspect but, in reality - it's probably the hardest aspect to pull off convincingly.

B1rdy
28-11-2017, 11:49
Being that the audio is among the last aspects of a title to get focused attention, it's not surprising that some of it may be unfinished or lacking polish at this point.Yes, because why should it, it is not even out, yet. WAIT...