PDA

View Full Version : Helmet/camera leaning Rift?

Rob Olejniczak
26-09-2017, 12:00
I did some racing at Daytona road course last night. When going around the oval the view in the Rift stays even to the horizon and doesn't tilt with the track. In the world movement settings I tried setting camera leaning and helmet leaning with values from 0 to 100. The settings didn't change the view at all. I then went into the oculus settings file to see if I could change it there, but those settings don't seam to be available. In iRacing I can change this setting and is much more comfortable and realistic when the view in the Rift leans with the car. I use a value of 75 in iRacing for camera "tilt". Am I missing something? Has this setting been disabled in the Rift for some reason?

Thanks,
Rob

AbeWoz
26-09-2017, 12:02
you did start in VR mode I assume?

There are 2 different 'cockpit' cameras also. One is cockpit cam, the other is 'helmet' cam. Give them both a try.

Rob Olejniczak
26-09-2017, 12:19
Yes, I have been starting the game in oculus vr mode and have all the settings setup as I like for the most part. I've done a decent amount of racing so far and have really been enjoying PC2. I didn't mess with the camera/helmet leaning settings until I tried the Daytona road course last night. Most race tracks don't have a steep banking like Daytona does so I haven't needed to adjust this setting until going on the banking at Daytona. It's really weird when your head view stays level on the banking and the car is leaning on the banking quite a bit. There should be a way for the view to lean with the car the same way your head and body would in real life.

whip
26-09-2017, 13:45
have you set world movement to 100 and turned all other movements to 0? this will be the 1:1 realistic movement

Ramjet
26-09-2017, 14:30
Setting world movement to anything higher than zero causes instant nausea and disorientation of vision for me, even with a motion seat.

whip
26-09-2017, 14:49
Setting world movement to anything higher than zero causes instant nausea and disorientation of vision for me, even with a motion seat.

world movement at 100 is realistic, otherwise you get annoying camera bobbing and camera movement

Rob Olejniczak
26-09-2017, 22:02

world movement at 100 is realistic, otherwise you get annoying camera bobbing and camera movement

I have world movement set to zero and all others set to zero. My experience was the opposite Whip. If I set world movement to 100 I get the annoying camera bobbing and movement. At first I set it up with WM at 100 I was getting nauseous very quickly.

I've been using the rift for just over a year now and play all kinds of games on it including using it for Xplane 11 using Flyinside. That game has horrible frame rates in vr and I haven't felt nauseous since the 1st time I tried iRacing without adjusting the vr settings. I think some people prefer it one way and some the other. At least that's what I've heard in past discussions.

I'm probably going to try and change WM back to 100 and then see if the upping the leaning settings will work. If it does, I doubt I'll be able to play that way without getting sick.

CP2
26-09-2017, 22:27
World Movement set to zero locks the camera to the horizon, causing the issue you described. If you set it to 100, then the camera is locked to the car, you'll notice the interior never moves at all during driving. I found it comfortable setting world movement to about 90 to avoid the locked to horizon effect, but still include a little bit of internal movement. No nausea for me on Rift during driving.

Guybrush Threepwood
26-09-2017, 23:03
I have world movement set to 100, and everything else set to 0. Not getting any nausea, and the banking on ovals looks correct, world movement set to 0 makes it look like i'm sitting in the car at 45 degrees on ovals.

Rob Olejniczak
27-09-2017, 11:50
Ok guys, last night I tried world movement set to 100, 90, 75 and 50. It definitely fixes the problem I was having with leaning on the banking, but made me feel more nauseous the higher (closer to 100) I made the setting.

The thing that is making me nauseous is that the helmet is locked to the car/track surface relative to the bumpiness of the track. With WM set to 100 it is not realistic in how bumpy and jittery the view looks. In real life your helmet moves and doesn't bounce up and down 1 to 1 with every little bump. In WM 100 the view is locked to the car and your view bumps up and down with every bump on the track. The cockpit of the car stays perfectly stiff and doesn't move. That's not realistic, and I'm not looking at the interior of the car while I'm driving, I'm looking at the view out the windshield and as far up the track as possible like real life. With WM set closer and closer to 100 the view of the track gets much more blurry and jittery.

I think they should have this setting divided into a at least 2 settings. World movement could still set the movement of your view relative to pitch and tilt, but have another setting that controls how stiff you view is locked to the car over bumps. Right now with WM at 100 it is like your helmet is bolted to the frame of the car. In real life your body is acting like additional suspension for your head and smooths out the bumpiness. Your eyes don't move 1 to 1 with the cars frame, but that is the view I'm getting with WM at 100.

I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one that feels this way. In iRacing they have this broken down into multiple settings too. They have driverheadhorizon, driverheadnopitch, driverheadtilt, and driverheadwobble. Values go from 0.0 to 1.0. The recommended settings to prevent motion sickness for them are horizon at 0.9 (1 would be locked to horizon), nopitch at 0.9 (1 car doesn't pitch forward or back), no recommended value for tilt, and wobble at 0.0 (at 0.0 driver head doesn't wobble with bumps). Having "world movement" divided into separate settings like that enable more people to set the view in vr more comfortably. Some people get sick on one setting and others get sick with the opposite setting. This has been discussed on the iRacing forums extensively.

GAT_Montana
27-09-2017, 11:54
Ok guys, last night I tried world movement set to 100, 90, 75 and 50. It definitely fixes the problem I was having with leaning on the banking, but made me feel more nauseous the higher (closer to 100) I made the setting.

The thing that is making me nauseous is that the helmet is locked to the car/track surface relative to the bumpiness of the track. With WM set to 100 it is not realistic in how bumpy and jittery the view looks. In real life your helmet moves and doesn't bounce up and down 1 to 1 with every little bump. In WM 100 the view is locked to the car and your view bumps up and down with every bump on the track. The cockpit of the car stays perfectly stiff and doesn't move. That's not realistic, and I'm not looking at the interior of the car while I'm driving, I'm looking at the view out the windshield and as far up the track as possible like real life. With WM set closer and closer to 100 the view of the track gets much more blurry and jittery.

I think they should have this setting divided into a at least 2 settings. World movement could still set the movement of your view relative to pitch and tilt, but have another setting that controls how stiff you view is locked to the car over bumps. Right now with WM at 100 it is like your helmet is bolted to the frame of the car. In real life your body is acting like additional suspension for your head and smooths out the bumpiness. Your eyes don't move 1 to 1 with the cars frame, but that is the view I'm getting with WM at 100.

I'm pretty confident I'm not the only one that feels this way. In iRacing they have this broken down into multiple settings too. They have driverheadhorizon, driverheadnopitch, driverheadtilt, and driverheadwobble. Values go from 0.0 to 1.0. The recommended settings to prevent motion sickness for them are horizon at 0.9 (1 would be locked to horizon), nopitch at 0.9 (1 car doesn't pitch forward or back), no recommended value for tilt, and wobble at 0.0 (at 0.0 driver head doesn't wobble with bumps). Having "world movement" divided into separate settings like that enable more people to set the view in vr more comfortably. Some people get sick on one setting and others get sick with the opposite setting. This has been discussed on the iRacing forums extensively.

Good Point Rob! I will forward your request to our devs in the internal Forum. By the way, I am affected as well by this Settings, using my Oculus Rift.

Br,
Andy

Rob Olejniczak
27-09-2017, 12:16
Thank you Andy, that would be great!