Case: Corsair Obsidian 750d
Netzteil: Corsair cs750m
Grafikkarte: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition
RAM: GSkill RipjawsV 32GB 2600MHz DDR4
CPU Kühler: be quiet! BK013 Shadow Rock 2
Soundkarte: Soundblaster Z

GPU Driver Version: 385.69 from 09/21/2017

What's my problem?
The game freezes randomly. The screen is stuck in one szene/picture but the game is continuing running. I could theoretically drive, but can't see anything. I was playing the game for ~1h. It was the second race of the Formula Rookie Career. All crashed came up there. I had the issue before too, on the first race.

Proofs:
As I am not allowed to post links, I cannot show you 3 twitch clips where I got this problem.

Ingame Settings:
Every graphic setting is set on maximum. Playing on 1080p.

Are there any known solutions for this problem?

Kind Regards
Maggi

pablito
26-09-2017, 12:24
very similar problem to mine. in most situation it happend on turn. you can try use -fpscap XX parameter in steam, i set mine to 62.8fps like in other thread ppl posted dunno if that helped but after set it it happend only once yesterday.

Maggi
26-09-2017, 13:20
Hello pablito,

thank you for the fast response. Do you know, if I have to set it around 63fps? I have a 144Hz Monitor. Or do you think I should try the parameter with 144?

Regards
Maggi

Sankyo
26-09-2017, 13:36
Hello my fellow race drivers!!!

First of, my system specs:
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA X99 Ultra
Prozessor: Intel Core i7 6800k 6x 4Ghz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750d
Netzteil: Corsair cs750m
Grafikkarte: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition
RAM: GSkill RipjawsV 32GB 2600MHz DDR4
CPU Kühler: be quiet! BK013 Shadow Rock 2
Soundkarte: Soundblaster Z

GPU Driver Version: 385.69 from 09/21/2017

What's my problem?
The game freezes randomly. The screen is stuck in one szene/picture but the game is continuing running. I could theoretically drive, but can't see anything. I was playing the game for ~1h. It was the second race of the Formula Rookie Career. All crashed came up there. I had the issue before too, on the first race.

Proofs:
As I am not allowed to post links, I cannot show you 3 twitch clips where I got this problem.

Ingame Settings:
Every graphic setting is set on maximum. Playing on 1080p.

Are there any known solutions for this problem?

Kind Regards
Maggi

If you Alt-Tab to the desktop when the freeze happens, is there an error message showing? Are there any errors reported by Windows itself around the time when the freeze happened? What are your GPU and CPU temperatures?

Maggi
26-09-2017, 13:48
To answer your questions:
1. When I alt-Tab to the desktop then there is no error message
2. I found an error message in the event logs: "Der Anzeigetreiber "nvlddmkm" reagiert nicht mehr und wurde wiederhergestellt.", which basically means, that the display driver "nvlddmkm" is not responding and was recovered.
3. Temperatures not tested yet; I'll give it a try later on, or maybe tomorrow.

But now, for me it looks like there is an error with the nvidia driver itself.

I'm going to reinstall it and will test it again.

Regards
Maggi

HLR Ghosty
26-09-2017, 14:33
Is your CPU overclocked, Mine was the same with an overclock which has been stable for months with other games but not this one, once I took it if game ran fine

Maggi
26-09-2017, 16:00
Hello HLR Ghosty,

yes my CPU is overclocked by 200MHz at the moment. 3,6GHz basic and now 3,8 GHz. I'll give this a try tomorrow! Thank you very much for the hint :-)

Regards
Maggi

pablito
26-09-2017, 16:05
It depends what monitor you use. Few ppl reported just setting fpscap removed freezing and stuttering. My problem was almost same, mainly when im turning but now its almost non existant so i think its working.
Dunno how many fps you have with or without vsync if you can play with 144 or 120 or 100 just set your max stable fps value and try.

pablito
26-09-2017, 16:06
Is your CPU overclocked, Mine was the same with an overclock which has been stable for months with other games but not this one, once I took it if game ran fine

im playing without any overclocking and problem is same so its not that reason.

norton_b
28-09-2017, 06:23
Are we talking about a random crash/freeze which occurs for 1/2 seconds? The screen image is still but the game continues to play behind the still image? And then goes back to normal after 1/2 seconds?

Maggi
28-09-2017, 13:39
Hello norton_b,

no, the freezes are forever. The screen image is still but the game continues to play behind the still image.
But I think I found the solution. I looked up the error message and most people lowered the GPU Core frequency a bit. I did the same. Downloaded MSI Afterburner, lowered the Core Clock around 50MHz, saved the setting and tested it.
I could drive the whole race without a single crash. Of course I tried to drive without changing anything but the game crashed after 3 laps.

So I think the GPU gets too warm. CPU temp went never above 50°C. GPU was stuck ~79°C bevor the game crashed. After lowering the Core Clock the temp went up to 78°C, but not above.

Maybe another info: This temp was reached when it rained during the race. The race after was dry und temp was not going above 67°C.

So I think this is fixed for now.

Kind Regards
Maggi

Andrew_WOT
28-09-2017, 14:32

Same here (NVidia 385.69), not sure why, not the temp as it's watercooled and I monitor it. Ubisoft games usually don't like overclock much.
Something is wonky either with game or video driver.
If you get this problem on stock clock, try to drop it even lower.
Here's a good guide on troubleshooting craches
https://forums.evga.com/Basic-troubleshooting-steps-Windows-clean-boot-clean-driver-install-debug-mode-etc-m2504606.aspx