PDA

View Full Version : Down force changes tire pressure

pedrochapps
26-09-2017, 13:07
Tire pressure changes when i change the down force ? even if down force is at its max and i still click the tire pressure will change. why ?

AbeWoz
26-09-2017, 13:09
because you have more force pressing down on the car, increasing the contact patch of the tire, increasing the load of the tire, increasing the heat of the tire, thus increasing the PSI/BAR of the tire.

pedrochapps
26-09-2017, 13:11
i under stand that but it shouldn't change if i haven't done so, No ?

AbeWoz
26-09-2017, 13:15
is it the pressure changing or does it show the temperature changing in the car setup menu?

Trippul G
26-09-2017, 13:18
because you have more force pressing down on the car, increasing the contact patch of the tire, increasing the load of the tire, increasing the heat of the tire, thus increasing the PSI/BAR of the tire.

Hmm...that makes sense in theory, but IRL if you're sitting there in your garage and you increase your wing angle, you're not going to notice an immediate increase in your tire pressure, right? It would only be noticeable in the live telemetry when you're out on track where that downforce is actually being applied.

I haven't looked much at car setups yet, so I don't know if the way it is now is a bad thing or not, if in fact this is how it's intended to work. In theory it saves you having to spend time monitoring things out on track, it just seems like a slightly odd design decision.

Bealdor
26-09-2017, 13:21
It's a known "issue" (although it's not really an issue).
What happens is, that while you're in the setup screen the car physics are already fully loaded, including tyre, rim, air and brake temps.
Since your pre heated brakes are warmer than your tyres their temperature (and pressure) will rise, even when the car is standing still.

The issue is simply that the current car status isn't frozen while you're in the setup menu.
And it's possible that this screen only gets updated when you change something in the setup.

pedrochapps
26-09-2017, 16:59
Ok if its an Issue then thats fine, It will get fixed some day :D