PDA

View Full Version : Game crashing on the first day!

imagamejunky
26-09-2017, 20:25
I've had 2 crashes within the first couple of hours after downloading/playing PC2 today on my PC. I'ts running on a 4k monitor. I've sent the bugsplat reports. I used to get a TON of crashes on PC1 and then the problem resolved after some time (months) after updates. I was REALLY hoping that PC2 wasn't going to have the same problems right out of the gate. So frustrating. It's not my PC. It runs flawlessly with Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, AC, PC1 (now), etc, etc.

Junky

drizzit
26-09-2017, 21:36
I know you don't want to hear this but the game is really demanding in places and as you didn't mention having tried it, first thing would be removing any OC and see if it still crashes.

If not, I'm sorry to say your OC is not stable, if it still does you have ruled it out when support asks you about it.

CP2
26-09-2017, 22:34
I've had the same type of troubles, removed my OC and went back to stock clocks and this hasn't resolved the issue for me. Random crashes. There are other similar reports around the forum but most seem on varying hardware, it seems like more of a software issue than anything else.

imagamejunky - I also had a lot of issues with PCARS1 - I played for a while then after an update to the game it consistently crashes, even to this day. I really hoped PCARS2 would be better but I've been unable to complete a race either. I'm running a Ryzen 5/1600X, 16GB RAM, latest drivers for the GTX970 (385.69), with a G27 wheel + pedals.

Roger Prynne
26-09-2017, 22:38
I can honestly say that even with my sub-par rig I haven't had one crash since release.

Morgan Henstridge
26-09-2017, 22:41
I havent had any issues either, and i'm running my system stock.

It would definitely be worth removing the Overclock to test.

If it still crashes without the OC, check the Windows Event Viewer and see what is logged in the System and Application logs at the time of the crash.

CP2
26-09-2017, 23:17
I have removed the overclock, and Windows event viewer only shows the Bugsplat.

koly
26-09-2017, 23:21
it's the game, it's vey buggy, i understand now why people laugh about the game, be sure i will put a red thumb on steam with a very good review about the bugs

Morgan Henstridge
26-09-2017, 23:29
it's the game, it's vey buggy, i understand now why people laugh about the game, be sure i will put a red thumb on steam with a very good review about the bugs

Define "Very Buggy"...

Look at the ratings on Steam and Metacritic etc, and compare the number of people without issues, to the number of people posting in here with issues.

I'm not saying it is perfect for everyone, no software is or ever will be, but a lot of issues have already been resolved with peoples configs or other system settings which are NOT directly related to PCARS 2.

Morgan Henstridge
26-09-2017, 23:32
I have removed the overclock, and Windows event viewer only shows the Bugsplat.

Try deleting the Graphics XML files from \Documents\Project CARS 2\ and see if you can play it stable with the default graphics settings.

If that is stable, then you know you have a stable start point and can start turning things up.

I have a 1080ti and if i overclock much at all, I will get it to crash with "The Display Driver has Stopped Responding", but returning it to stock values lets me play without issues. The GPU is sitting up very close to 100% Utilisation.

CP2
26-09-2017, 23:51
I removed the XML files (backed them up first), and tried and the game still crashed. I also downclocked my RAM (PC3000, was running at 3200 and now at 2933) and the crash still occurred. I've never had it crash with the Nvidia driver stopped responding - it's always a momentary freeze followed by a bugsplat prompt.

Are any followups on the Bugsplats done, since it asks for your name and email?

Morgan Henstridge
26-09-2017, 23:56
Yes the BugSplat reports go to the Developers. So the more info you can provide in them, the better.

Have you tried Verifying the files in steam??

Doctor_Tofu
27-09-2017, 00:08
I’m crashing constantly. It mostly happens while in a race. Or after a race. When clicking a menu. Haven’t really seen a pattern in any specific menues causing the crashes. But most of the time the crashes end up hard resetting my pc. This last crash actually deleted my save file of my career. I’ve tried all the advice and tips posted in here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do really love the game when I am driving though!

Morgan Henstridge
27-09-2017, 01:05
I’m crashing constantly. It mostly happens while in a race. Or after a race. When clicking a menu. Haven’t really seen a pattern in any specific menues causing the crashes. But most of the time the crashes end up hard resetting my pc. This last crash actually deleted my save file of my career. I’ve tried all the advice and tips posted in here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do really love the game when I am driving though!

Do you have any AntiVirus running?? could be something with it scanning the files while the game is trying to write to them.

CP2
27-09-2017, 01:13
Have you tried Verifying the files in steam??

I did. This hasn't made any difference unfortunately. To the above, I use Windows Defender and even put an exclusion for anything in my SteamApps folder.

Morgan Henstridge
27-09-2017, 01:49
Well that sucks....

Just to eliminate a few things, can you disconnect your hardware (wheel, pedals, shifter, etc) then reboot the PC and fire up the game and just see if you can get it going just using the keyboard as input device??

imagamejunky
27-09-2017, 05:17
After starting this thread today I played about 10 more short races and didn't have any additional crashes. It's obviously random and intermittent.

I plan on spending more time diagnosing the issues. I will try stock clock speeds although I doubt that's the problem. I won't be able to report back for a few days.

Thanks guys.
Junky

Sampo
27-09-2017, 07:37
If your PC gets a hard reset while playing the game, it will not be the game's fault. It will be either a driver failure or hardware failure. All game software run in user mode and cannot hard reset your windows on their own.

GAZZY75
27-09-2017, 13:22
Also getting intermittent game lockups/crashing on the Rift, 4690k, 1080ti during racing. No other PC or game issues, pc doesn't crash and no vid driver crashes, it's definitely the game. Twice tonight over about 2 hours, none last night, about 3 the night before. Most of the time I don't get bugsplat. I've excluded the folder from Windows Defender.

Edit: Turns out that if I use Oculus Tray Tool supersampling over the in-game supersampling I'm not having the regular crashes.

Ole W
31-03-2018, 20:43
Edit: Turns out that if I use Oculus Tray Tool supersampling over the in-game supersampling I'm not having the regular crashes.

This thread is fairly old but I've been experiencing the exact same mysterious game crashes as you. I has things worked out for you during the past few months? Did the Tray Tool supersambling resolve matters for you all along?