PDA

View Full Version : PCars2 looks awful [It doesn't]

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 21:39
Hi,

Just got a chance to run PCars2 after collection last Friday, it looks horrid !!

PCars1 on screen looks was awesome, crystal clear and not a jagged edge to be seen, you really felt 'in the game'.
PCars2 is nothing like PCars1 in looks. It's dull, everything looks fake, no real definition and jagged edges on just about EVERYTHING, even the intro that is normally AWESOME on all games is bad.

I though maybe I needed to adjust for 1080p (not that I've needed to for any other game) but I can't find that adjustment. If I can't get it to look like PCars1, I'm getting rid and buying another copy of PCars1, the new games look is very bad and a huge step down, even if it is technically a better game!

Could somebody help me to get it to look as nice as PCars1.

Thanks.

Kitt
26-09-2017, 21:46
Looks fantastic @1440p maxish settings,waayyy better than PC1 IMO...what spec PC do you have and what are your graphics setting at?

rosko
26-09-2017, 21:50
Srange In vr the game looks amazing much better than the first game everything looks so much more realistic.

krisby
26-09-2017, 21:54
Hi,

Just got a chance to run PCars2 after collection last Friday, it looks horrid !!

PCars1 on screen looks was awesome, crystal clear and not a jagged edge to be seen, you really felt 'in the game'.
PCars2 is nothing like PCars1 in looks. It's dull, everything looks fake, no real definition and jagged edges on just about EVERYTHING, even the intro that is normally AWESOME on all games is bad.

I though maybe I needed to adjust for 1080p (not that I've needed to for any other game) but I can't find that adjustment. If I can't get it to look like PCars1, I'm getting rid and buying another copy of PCars1, the new games look is very bad and a huge step down, even if it is technically a better game!

Could somebody help me to get it to look as nice as PCars1.

Thanks.

Have you got DSR running? I find it is messing around with how mine looks too. I know its not working right when, as you say the intro is jaggie.
I found I just had to go with 1080 and put everything on max or ultra SMAA, and it looks good now. I did have it on 1.5x DSR to start with, but then a minor patch on Friday seemed to affect my DSR and was unable to get it back to how it was after that.

Jussi Karjalainen
26-09-2017, 21:54
The conditions do a helluva lot to the look. A friend of mine said that he really liked the look of the Forza demo (and it is a pretty game), and that compared to that we looked a bit dull. A moment finding what time of day and weather conditions replicated the non-dynamic settings that were used in Forza and we looked stunning as well. Photographers know well how dull unedited midday'ish light can look like, going a bit outside the box and finding more interesting scenarios goes a long way. =)

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 21:56
It's on PS4. I've changed nothing from PC1, just put the disc in and run PC2. Looks like GT4 on PS2 !!!

Everything just looks wrong and almost all straight lines are like saw :-(

koly
26-09-2017, 21:56
If you force supersampling x8, AAx8, AniX16, and FXAA at 4k ultra it's awesome (be carefull you need gtx 1080ti sli and custom sli profile )

:)

Roger Prynne
26-09-2017, 21:59
He's on PS4.

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 22:07
If you force supersampling x8, AAx8, AniX16, and FXAA at 4k ultra it's awesome (be carefull you need gtx 1080ti sli and custom sli profile )

:)

I have no idea what all that means :-(

I think I'll just bin this game and buy a new copy of PC1. VERY glad I didn't spend 125 and get that box set with model car in it :-0

I traded in PC1 against PC2 thinking PC2 will be at least as good. I didn't expect it to look this bad !

Killso2
26-09-2017, 22:17
Pcars 2 is stunning ...

Anyway, you've traded pc2 for pc1 just because of the graphics ... Graphics aren't everything in a video game, and if you really think it is, you should have bought a pc then.

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 22:23
PC1 went last Friday to buy PC2. I'm stuck with PC2 until I buy a new copy of PC1.

The graphics are so backward form PC1 on my PS4 it totally distracts me. I can't even get close to the picture you have added. Even the intro is awful. Every so called straight edge is like a saw.

Maybe there is a graphic setting I need to adjust?
Can I adjust for 1080p?
Maybe this game is only for 4k and anything less looks rubbish??

naufaltsar
26-09-2017, 22:32
Did devs trying to achieve 60fps this time around? Maybe that why they lowered the graphics on ps4?

Roger Prynne
26-09-2017, 22:33
Obviously the graphics should not be as bad as you described, so something must be wrong, yes.

dpeagle
26-09-2017, 22:37
I have no idea what all that means :-(

I think I'll just bin this game and buy a new copy of PC1. VERY glad I didn't spend 125 and get that box set with model car in it :-0

I traded in PC1 against PC2 thinking PC2 will be at least as good. I didn't expect it to look this bad !

i think he was just trying to be funny. a bit of sarcasm if you will.

koly
26-09-2017, 22:37
forza 7 has the best graphics, maybe switch to xbox ?

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 22:42
PC1 always blew me away with the level of detail. Sometimes I'd drive into stuff just to look at the detail !! Driving through trees was a joy. PC1 just looked so nice and smooth. I had AC as well, but almost never played it because PC1 looked so good!

My copy of PC2 is nothing like PC1 and makes AC look great. The trees in PC2 look nasty and lifeless, it's so distracting. If this game was on PS2 as a contender for GT4, I could understand it, but PS4, it's bad!

I'm buying another copy of PC1 tomorrow and sticking this PC2 on Ebay. Nice try SMS, but a huge fail, well sort of, you did manage to grab 55 for this game and another 25 for PC1 tomorrow. So I guess, it's a win for you, so well done :-)

Killso2
26-09-2017, 22:42
PC1 went last Friday to buy PC2. I'm stuck with PC2 until I buy a new copy of PC1.

The graphics are so backward form PC1 on my PS4 it totally distracts me. I can't even get close to the picture you have added. Even the intro is awful. Every so called straight edge is like a saw.

Maybe there is a graphic setting I need to adjust?
Can I adjust for 1080p?
Maybe this game is only for 4k and anything less looks rubbish??
My picture is from the game on PC on 1080p.
OT : kitt liked my post, am I michael knight ? And I've Just watched an episode knight rider yesterday ( sorry for the OT :p )

Exoil
26-09-2017, 22:43
I have one friend on PSN who says his game looks grainy and full of aliasing on the PS4. Another who says it looks a bit worse than PCars 1 but not much, also on the standard PS4.

I'm on a Pro with a 1080p TV and the game looks alright, but sometimes there's a weird "filter" on the sky that looks kind of like the screen door effect in VR. Mostly the pink skies at sundown

dan2312
26-09-2017, 22:45
forza 7 has the best graphics, maybe switch to xbox ?

I beg to differ on that, my lad downloaded the demo on windows store, Its nice but not quiet as good, but he does game in 1080p where i game in 4k... so yeah.

Roger Prynne
26-09-2017, 22:47
My picture is from the game on PC on 1080p.
OT : kitt liked my post, am I michael knight ? And I've Just watched an episode knight rider yesterday ( sorry for the OT :p )
Why would you do that ;)

Mr.Smoke
26-09-2017, 22:49
Graphics aren't everything in a video game, and if you really think it is, you should have bought a pc then.

This right here!

Killso2
26-09-2017, 22:50
Why would you do that ;)

knight rider is awesome ! ( the 1982 show, not the "new" one from 2008 ).
I'm a fan of this show, I've travelled the france to see one of the best replica of KITT :o

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 22:51
So I take it that nobody knows of a graphics setting to fix my issue on PS4?
The graphics are what they are then?

I don't need a PC, PC1 on my PS4 was perfectly good enough for me.

Bliman
26-09-2017, 22:53
Consider you lucky because the Xbox One version is worse.
If you come from Forza Horizon 3 and then you look at this , it is a real shock.
But graphics isn't everything, immersion counts to, and that's where Project Cars2 (and 1) shines.
Real simulators will always suffer graphically because there is a whole lot running under the hood.
Yes it is worse then PC1 but it is thinking doing lot's more under the hood.
I am curious for the Xbox OneX version to see if they can max all out (in 1080p).

Bliman
26-09-2017, 22:54
So I take it that nobody knows of a graphics setting to fix my issue on PS4?
The graphics are what they are then?

I don't need a PC, PC1 was perfectly good enough for me.

Do you know many games where you can change the graphics settings (drastically) on consoles?

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 23:26
Do you know many games where you can change the graphics settings (drastically) on consoles?

I don't know of anything, I'm just a guy that has had PC1 and was impressed and got PC2 was was not impressed. I'm not a 'gamer', I just like driving sims. I've always gone for GT on Play Station because it was a good game. I changed to PC1 a year ago because it was better than GT. PC2 is a backwards step for me. That's it.

I just wanted to know if it was me, it could well be as I know nothing about PC or sim racing, I can't stand computers, I just don't understand them, that's why I have a console.

I'll just sell this PC2 and buy another copy of PC1, job done.

Thanks.

Bliman
26-09-2017, 23:36
I don't know of anything, I'm just a guy that has had PC1 and was impressed and got PC2 was was not impressed. I'm not a 'gamer', I just like driving sims. I've always gone for GT on Play Station because it was a good game. I changed to PC1 a year ago because it was better than GT. PC2 is a backwards step for me. That's it.

I just wanted to know if it was me, it could well be as I know nothing about PC or sim racing, I can't stand computers, I just don't understand them, that's why I have a console.

I'll just sell this PC2 and buy another copy of PC1, job done.

Thanks.

Ok
If you don't want to go pc and want to have the maximum graphics (and have the money).
Then I would go for the Xbox One X in the very near future, or you could go for the PS4 Pro (although Xbox One X normally would be better)

sunbeamti
26-09-2017, 23:42
would PC2 look perfect on the PS4 Pro, as good if not better than PC1 on PS4?
I have no problem moving to a Pro if it fixes my problem.

Bliman
26-09-2017, 23:58
would PC2 look perfect on the PS4 Pro, as good if not better than PC1 on PS4?
I have no problem moving to a Pro if it fixes my problem.

Here you can judge for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8D-oiptrV4
Also consider that according the developers the Xbox One X will be much better then the PS4 Pro (and also 4k I think)

kwint1
27-09-2017, 00:21
i am a little disappointed with the amount of aliasing and shimmer off of fences and shadows but overall the lighting and weather effects are great.

but... I have an xbox X preordered and I am hoping that 1- enhancement patch is released for X from SMS on or before x release Nov 7 and 2- that it uses higher res assets and hits higher resolution and better anti-aliasing

i hope.. otherwise graphics look great from what I see on pc

Guy Smiley
27-09-2017, 00:29
Agree with the OP, on the PS4 the aliasing is much worse than PC1 on the same platform. Especially noticeable on distant trees, fences, shadows across the road, etc. But the devs have said they're fixing the PS4 "shadows" bug, so I'm hoping that refers to all of these artifacts...

ELAhrairah
27-09-2017, 00:33
I absolutely love Pcars2. Look it isn't perfect but the day and night transition (from yellow, orange, blueish to black) and especially how the night looks like a real night now and not like someone dimmed the lights is really immersive.

D3vilDriver
27-09-2017, 05:40
Pcars 2 is stunning ...

Anyway, you've traded pc2 for pc1 just because of the graphics ... Graphics aren't everything in a video game, and if you really think it is, you should have bought a pc then.

Nailed it [Problem Solved] lol

Aldo Zampatti
27-09-2017, 05:42
Nailed it [Problem Solved] lol

That reply basically is....everything :)

Anyway, to the OP, I would gladly help with settings so he can enjoy the game better. Maybe is a missconfig

Sankyo
27-09-2017, 06:47
Ian stated that SMS is working on getting AA on consoles improved.

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 08:28
That reply basically is....everything :)

Anyway, to the OP, I would gladly help with settings so he can enjoy the game better. Maybe is a missconfig

If you can help with settings, I'm happy to adjust :-)

Sessionerror
27-09-2017, 08:55
I have one friend on PSN who says his game looks grainy and full of aliasing on the PS4. Another who says it looks a bit worse than PCars 1 but not much, also on the standard PS4.

I'm on a Pro with a 1080p TV and the game looks alright, but sometimes there's a weird "filter" on the sky that looks kind of like the screen door effect in VR. Mostly the pink skies at sundown

We're having very different reports in our community as well on PS4. It's strange...some people say it's pixelated and full of aliasing, looking worse than Project CARS 1. Other people are really happy about it and they're on standard PS4 as well (like myself). One guy was even looking at the stream of another player and was surprised how good it looked on his console, though they were both on a standard PS4. It's strange, it really seems as if there are differences, as if people were using a different platform (which they don't) or different graphic settings (which they can't). I'm a bit helpless with those reports, to be honest.

Mad Al
27-09-2017, 09:08
Anything to do with the dynamic resolution on console?

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 09:20
We're having very different reports in our community as well on PS4. It's strange...some people say it's pixelated and full of aliasing, looking worse than Project CARS 1. Other people are really happy about it and they're on standard PS4 as well (like myself). One guy was even looking at the stream of another player and was surprised how good it looked on his console, though they were both on a standard PS4. It's strange, it really seems as if there are differences, as if people were using a different platform (which they don't) or different graphic settings (which they can't). I'm a bit helpless with those reports, to be honest.

That is really helpful, thank you.
You have confirmed there is no adjustment I can make to the graphic settings, so it's not me and I've got what I've got.

I'll buy PC1 again today so I can keep playing that looking nice, and put PC2 on the shelf and come back to it in 6 months hoping it's fixed. It's the limited metal box, so maybe worth money in 6 months if it's still horrible and I sell it LOL.

Sessionerror
27-09-2017, 09:27
That is really helpful, thank you.
You have confirmed there is no adjustment I can make to the graphic settings, so it's not me and I've got what I've got.

I'll buy PC1 again today so I can keep playing that looking nice, and put PC2 on the shelf and come back to it in 6 months hoping it's fixed. It's the limited metal box, so maybe worth money in 6 months if it's still horrible and I sell it LOL.

That was actually not quite what I wanted to say. There must be some kind of reason for the differences...like I said, it looks good on my PS4! So maybe it's got to do something with your hardware settings? Are you using a AV receiver? Have you tried to change the resolution in the PS menu? Are you using HDR?

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 09:51
What is an 'AV receiver'?
Where is the 'resolution in the PS menu'?
What is 'HDR'?

I just went from PC1 to PC2 and did nothing other than swap the disc over.
This is why I stick to console as I'm not into computer talk at all, console always used to be 'plug and play'. I'm starting to get the impression I should just sell the console and by a PC as consoles are now just as difficult to understand as a PC, but the console games are not as good as PC. So where is the advantage of a console??

PeteUplink
27-09-2017, 10:34
I think it looks fine. *shrugs*

Erwin Berkers
27-09-2017, 10:49
Console uses dynamic resolution.

In my experience the graphics can be high resolution when turning down some of the Visual FX (crepuscular rays, sun flare etc), not having too many cars on track, and lowering FOV (I'm using 58, matching the viewing angle to our 52 inch tv).

Kaerar
27-09-2017, 11:59
What is an 'AV receiver'?
Where is the 'resolution in the PS menu'?
What is 'HDR'?

I just went from PC1 to PC2 and did nothing other than swap the disc over.
This is why I stick to console as I'm not into computer talk at all, console always used to be 'plug and play'. I'm starting to get the impression I should just sell the console and by a PC as consoles are now just as difficult to understand as a PC, but the console games are not as good as PC. So where is the advantage of a console??

Problem there, is neither are that difficult to understand. If they are then maybe some tutorials in how to setup games could come in handy.

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 12:18
I think it looks fine. *shrugs*

Ho yes, now I see, it's perfect now, best graphics of any game ever made, you fixed it with your shrug, awesome, thanks :-)

Chimildo
27-09-2017, 12:19
I noticed a vast improvement by turning interior mirrors off and turning some of the hud off (Xbox by the way)

Mowzer
27-09-2017, 12:22
Looks fine to me :D.

Francisnf
27-09-2017, 12:25
Looks good on my setup, which is a gtx1080. I have everything at "high" including the AA, then run the resolution at 1440p on my 1080p screen.

Sankyo
27-09-2017, 12:27
Does this discussion make any sense still? The OP was talking about PS4, but now every platform is in the discussion :)

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 13:49
OK guys, I'm the OP. There's what I did to fix my PC2.

I went to the shops and bought another copy of PC1.
I did nothing bar change the CD.

PERFECT !!!

So PC2 on my PS4 is bad!

I'm now sorted, my copy of PC2 is now in the trash and I'm back on PC1, everything is looking smooth and as it should :-)

Kaerar
27-09-2017, 13:56
Does this discussion make any sense still? The OP was talking about PS4, but now every platform is in the discussion :)

OP makes no sense. There's an incoming patch to fix AA on PS4 as it's a known issue. OP doesn't listen goes out and gets PC1 again as a fix. OP really doesn't get how all this works...

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 14:34
OP makes no sense. There's an incoming patch to fix AA on PS4 as it's a known issue. OP doesn't listen goes out and gets PC1 again as a fix. OP really doesn't get how all this works...

This thread is now 6 pages long and RIGHT FROM THE START I have been asking for HELP !!!!!!

Now I've paid out MORE money, you tell me I have a REAL problem and there is a patch coming to fix it !!!!!

Most people have been telling me there is no problem and the game is fine !!!!

No comment of a patch anywhere in this thread !!!!!

Thank you !!!!!

Quatzu
27-09-2017, 14:36
I'm now sorted, my copy of PC2 is now in the trash and I'm back on PC1, everything is looking smooth and as it should :-)

Dude, what are you doing? You've got something set wrong between your tv and your PS4. The game looks gorgeous on mine and many others' PS4. Ultimately, it's up to you, but I think you're making a mistake, and the problem is somewhere in your settings.

bigal1000
27-09-2017, 14:43
This thread is now 6 pages long and RIGHT FROM THE START I have been asking for HELP !!!!!!

Now I've paid out MORE money, you tell me I have a REAL problem and there is a patch coming to fix it !!!!!

Most people have been telling me there is no problem and the game is fine !!!!

No comment of a patch anywhere in this thread !!!!!

Thank you !!!!!

Your welcome.....

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 14:46
Dude, what are you doing? You've got something set wrong between your tv and your PS4. The game looks gorgeous on mine and many others' PS4. Ultimately, it's up to you, but I think you're making a mistake, and the problem is somewhere in your settings.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR THE LAST 6 PAGES !!
Help to find the settings to make it look good!
Nobody yet has shown me in 6 pages, just a lot of "mine looks great"!!

Is anybody actually going to tell me where the setting is to make it look good on a PS4 ??

Quatzu
27-09-2017, 14:55
Crap, man, I'm sorry. I'm at work and wish I could go into my console and help you out. I know there are some options in your PS4 menu (outside of the game) for things like resolution and HDR settings. I know there are options to automatically detect your tv configuration. If it helps at all, when I first put the game in last week, I was having issues with the screen area being larger than it should, and elements getting cut off. I went into my PS4 menu (not the game), and had to adjust my screen size. So, yes, the game seemed to change some of my PS4 settings on it's own and I had to override it. Keep trying, man. I'd hate for you to miss out on PC2 already.

Kaerar
27-09-2017, 15:26
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR THE LAST 6 PAGES !!
Help to find the settings to make it look good!
Nobody yet has shown me in 6 pages, just a lot of "mine looks great"!!

Is anybody actually going to tell me where the setting is to make it look good on a PS4 ??

A good start would have been to ask in the tech support forum, it's usually where tech support problems get solved. There's even a dedicated one.

The problem you are asking about has been answered in other parts of the forum. A simple search for 'PS4 jaggies' or something similar would have helped solve the issue quickly, well at least inform you of the upcoming patch.

Admittedly though it would be nice if there was an announcement sticky or something similar on the forums for saying "Known issues scheduled for patching" with a list of known issues being worked on for upcoming patches for the different versions. This would be initially a little labour intensive but it would help people like sunbeamti find the information quicker than asking a bunch of random people on a forum in general discussion about a technical issue and expecting more information than has already been given.

Rodgerzzz
27-09-2017, 15:36
If you edit the sharpness of your TV down to a point where the jagged edges aren't visible the game is gorgeous on a standard PS4. Still a bit of screen tearing here and there but nothing the OP won't be used to from PC1.

sunbeamti
27-09-2017, 15:54
The problem with searching is you need to know what you are asking about. If you don't know what problems are called, you get nowhere. I don't know what these issues are called and have no technical knowledge at all. Most people seem to be able to just work stuff out, but I can't do it, I work with 'stuff' not buttons.
I will look into the above suggestions, thanks.

Eric Rowland
27-09-2017, 15:55
Patience is a virtue......

J4M35_R
27-09-2017, 16:10
Ian stated that SMS is working on getting AA on consoles improved.

It would be nice if they could look at the pc version aswell. l am running on max graphics with a 1080ti, everything runs fine and for the most part looks stunning. But on some tracks the aliasing of fencing and lamp posts is quite poor. Also the cars at night could be looked at also.

Roger Prynne
27-09-2017, 16:14
Admittedly though it would be nice if there was an announcement sticky or something similar on the forums for saying "Known issues scheduled for patching" with a list of known issues being worked on for upcoming patches for the different versions.
It's in the works, but there is a lot of information to sift through.

Francisnf
27-09-2017, 16:23
It would be nice if they could look at the pc version aswell. l am running on max graphics with a 1080ti, everything runs fine and for the most part looks stunning. But on some tracks the aliasing of fencing and lamp posts is quite poor. Also the cars at night could be looked at also.

I've solved that (very nearly) with running at a higher resolution and then down sampling it.