PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Rally

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 01:57
I'm a huge fan of Red Bull GRC, so I was floored when I learned my favorite car, Honda Civic Coupe GRC, would be in the game.

I wasn't too bad at rally with a controller, but I am absolutely horrible with my brand new T150. I want to do really well in rally and it is making me angry I'm struggling so bad. I just keep crashing.

Any advice?

Ian Bell
27-09-2017, 02:14
I'm a huge fan of Red Bull GRC, so I was floored when I learned my favorite car, Honda Civic Coupe GRC, would be in the game.

I wasn't too bad at rally with a controller, but I am absolutely horrible with my brand new T150. I want to do really well in rally and it is making me angry I'm struggling so bad. I just keep crashing.

Any advice?

Don't overcorrect when you oversteer out of a corner. Just floor it (for all of the AWD RX cars) and the car will pull itself straight. If you also opposite lock too much you'll overcorrect. That's the best advice I can give.

hkraft300
27-09-2017, 02:17
Point and squirt?

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 02:20
Don't overcorrect when you oversteer out of a corner. Just floor it (for all of the AWD RX cars) and the car will pull itself straight. If you also opposite lock you'll overcorrect. That's the best advice I can give.

My biggest issue is trying to figure out how to use the handbrake to my advantage.

hkraft300
27-09-2017, 02:23
Watch some on-boards of the pros. See when/where/how they use the hand brake.

Scandy flick FTf'ingW.

Ian Bell
27-09-2017, 02:26
My biggest issue is trying to figure out how to use the handbrake to my advantage.

I rarely use it for more than a quick dab on the very sharp turns. Also, the handbrake works with full throttle as per design, keep it floored to keep up momentum.

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 02:52
I rarely use it for more than a quick dab on the very sharp turns. Also, the handbrake works with full throttle as per design, keep it floored to keep up momentum.

Ohhhhhhhh. I never even thought to keep the gas down when turning. Sigh, I should have thought about that. I think that will help me control it better. I'll try cutting back on how much I use it too. I was trying to use it on almost every turn on Hell RX.

breyzipp
27-09-2017, 06:23

Hey Ian since you are reading this thread as well. Absolutely quality work on that Wildcrest fictional RX track! I'm usually the first in line to vouch for real world tracks and dislike fictional tracks. But the flow in that track is so nice! And I really like the artwork on the map as well. It might even be my favorite RX track in PCARS 2. :)

Esrever
27-09-2017, 08:11
Rally in PC2 is absolutely the BEST experience ever!:victorious:
I totally get what the car is doing and it feels great. Forget about Richard Burns Rally, Dirt Rally or Dirt 4. (I have to edit my signature..)

@Ian; I read some you were thinking about making a rally sim, please do it!
But please keep the FF and physics like it is now.

One suggestion, it is a bit hard to spot all the rally tracks in PC2. It would be nice to have a filter option on track types.

breyzipp
27-09-2017, 09:18
One suggestion, it is a bit hard to spot all the rally tracks in PC2. It would be nice to have a filter option on track types.

Use the motorsport presets! These things absolutely rock!

Dive into a quick race, go to motorsport presets and load the rallycross preset. Then your cars and tracks as well as the rules are filtered on rallycross.

Ian Bell
27-09-2017, 09:20
Rally in PC2 is absolutely the BEST experience ever!:victorious:
I totally get what the car is doing and it feels great. Forget about Richard Burns Rally, Dirt Rally or Dirt 4. (I have to edit my signature..)

@Ian; I read some you were thinking about making a rally sim, please do it!
But please keep the FF and physics like it is now.

You can use motorsports presets. They...

Edit, just read below. As per breyzipp :)

Esrever
27-09-2017, 09:23
Use the motorsport presets! These things absolutely rock!

Dive into a quick race, go to motorsport presets and load the rallycross preset. Then your cars and tracks as well as the rules are filtered on rallycross.

Top tip!
Didn't notice that before.

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 13:14
Hey guys, thanks for suggestions! That really helped. I just did a full fuel run at Hell. I was able to get a 38.8. helluva lot better than just constant crashes. Still got work to do, because I got off course a lot, but I'm getting much better

My main problem was I was pushing it too hard.

Ian, if you come back to this page, I have a suggestion and a question for you.

Suggestion - I wish there was a way to refuel my car in practice so I don't have to restart my session and lose my times.

Question - Are your team aware the front headlights on the Honda Civic Coupe GRC do not work?

Sessionerror
27-09-2017, 13:21
Question - Are your team aware the front headlights on the Honda Civic Coupe GRC do not work?

None of the RX cars have working lights, they're just stickers like in real life ;)

breyzipp
27-09-2017, 15:15
None of the RX cars have working lights, they're just stickers like in real life ;)

Exactly. Same as NASCAR in that aspect. And it also explains the “low quality graphics” of the headlights on these cars. ;)

JDFSSS
27-09-2017, 17:34
I did a lot of crashing as well trying to get the rallly driving down. After an hour or 2 of practice, I got my pace up to a pretty good level and was able to lap without crashing too much. The best tip I can give is don't go too fast into the corner. As long as you keep your entry speed at a reasonable level, you shouldn't be crashing much. I found the 4WD rally cars to be very easy and natural to control on mid corner and exit after a bit of practice. The throttle is your friend from mid corner to exit when it comes to holding that slip angle and eventually straightening the car out.

sirsilver1968
27-09-2017, 19:03
I tried lydden hill for the first time today and my god I was blown away by the sheer rush I got from that track and it makes dirt4 s rendition feel like a Sunday drive in comparison it's so bumpy and that's what I love, absolutely nailed it for me, well done guys.

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 21:20
I tried lydden hill for the first time today and my god I was blown away by the sheer rush I got from that track and it makes dirt4 s rendition feel like a Sunday drive in comparison it's so bumpy and that's what I love, absolutely nailed it for me, well done guys.

I agree. The rally is absolutely amazing. As I'm getting better I'm having more fun and I'm just running alone. Lol