PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a problem - Cayman overheat after mild front end damage

sp3ctor
27-09-2017, 05:28
I was racing in warm conditions at RA in the cayman and put it into the wall. The damage on the HUD appeared to be fairly minimal but within half a lap - before I could pit - the car overheated and the engine blew. I'm no mechanic, but... it's a mid engine car and the intakes aren't in front... so I'm not really sure if that's a bug or just "hey you hit a wall, things happen..."

Aldo Zampatti
27-09-2017, 05:32
I was racing in warm conditions at RA in the cayman and put it into the wall. The damage on the HUD appeared to be fairly minimal but within half a lap - before I could pit - the car overheated and the engine blew. I'm no mechanic, but... it's a mid engine car and the intakes aren't in front... so I'm not really sure if that's a bug or just "hey you hit a wall, things happen..."

I'll investigate and reproduce to report internally.

sp3ctor
27-09-2017, 05:36
Cool, I forgot to add that I was really trying to baby the car to the pits but the temp seemed to increase exponentially regardless of what I did.

Siberian Tiger
27-09-2017, 06:11
That's tied to the not Reseting Damage possibly...

honespc
27-09-2017, 06:41
Happened to me on California Highway hardcore sideways session in an Enzo Ferrari, but without coliding to any wall or taking any damage. Radiator open 100%, and more or less when i reach 50% of the stage the engine blows up(temps of around 140 or higher with full open radiator). Why?

Happens with all road cars btw. Can understand you can blow up a "lesser" car, but a machine made for struggling like an Enzo?

senn
27-09-2017, 06:55
The intakes might be in the rear but the radiators are in the front. Coolant lines run full length of the car so it's possible you damaged the cooling system that way and overheated the engine?
for reference - '07 Cayman, note the radiators on EACH side behind the black ducting behind where the bumper would sit. Note the rads are behind the A/C heat exchangers at the very front.
and with the ducting removed

Photos taken from Sharkwerks website, all copyright is theirs.

Purg
27-09-2017, 07:40
I had damage off and mechanical damage(?) on in settings and 3/4 of the way around the Burgerring my engineer told me the car was overheating. Slowed down to 60kph and just cruised and the temp did not go down.. eventually the engine blew.

That was in the Cayman GT4. Experienced the same in the 86 on a different track.

senn
27-09-2017, 07:49
I had damage off and mechanical damage(?) on in settings and 3/4 of the way around the Burgerring my engineer told me the car was overheating. Slowed down to 60kph and just cruised and the temp did not go down.. eventually the engine blew.

That was in the Cayman GT4. Experienced the same in the 86 on a different track.

If you had damage off but Mechanical failures on, then it sounds to me like you had a random mechanical failure of the cooling system or engine. So what's the issue, that's what random mechanical failures are.

tugger99
27-09-2017, 09:36

There's your problem, nose into the wall maybe, smashed one of the nose radiators possibly ... which lead to a coolant leak.

Purg
27-09-2017, 09:54
If you had damage off but Mechanical failures on, then it sounds to me like you had a random mechanical failure of the cooling system or engine. So what's the issue, that's what random mechanical failures are.

Fair enough.

PeteUplink
27-09-2017, 09:59

from what I've seen from Porsche Cup racing on TV, it doesn't take much contact to damage the radiators and cause an overheat. If the Cayman is developed in a similar way, then it might be accurate.

Then again, I'm not a car expert, so I dunno.

sp3ctor
27-09-2017, 17:39
Rad, thanks for posting that. I've got a Cayman S but I've never taken anything off it - because I'd be bad at that - and I've never run it into a wall... makes sense.

AbeWoz
27-09-2017, 17:43
the road car overheating issue is being discussed/investigated.

more incentive to try to race super clean, radiators up front on the majority of cars, even mid-engine. so slight frontal impact can lead to overheating, especially if you are running the radiator ducts fairly closed off in the first place.