PDA

View Full Version : Will Nvidea Volta give clearer VR-image

Haneye1969
27-09-2017, 10:29
There are rumours of Nvidea launching a new card.
This will of course be better than the 1080ti. Will this give us a sharper and crispier VR-experience?
Probably we can run higher settings, but will thos have a great impact on VR?
Anyone?

Ex01
27-09-2017, 10:33
Nvidia will throttle it to be at best a 30% increase, that's how a monopoly on the market works and is historically how Nvidia do things. (Volta workstations $150k atm showing 130% speed increase so Volta could be more but they wont allow it).
Current VR headsets while a good start arent where they need to be, though there is Pimax 8K VR Headset hitting the market early next year that will require Volta to run, it's still an emerging market and has tradeoffs what ever way you turn.
Volta will allow current VR headsets to run higher graphical settings for sure, but I would be expecting a night and day thing.

gandy
27-09-2017, 10:35
No and its a simple case of maths, If the card is say 10 to 15% faster than the 1080ti you wont see massive frame rate increase so if you can get 90fps in you preferred title with a 1080ti then 10% is only 9 more fps.

VR headsets need to improve more so there is less overhead on cpu/gpu's in order to get more performance which should happen with time :)

Invincible
27-09-2017, 10:37
There are rumours of Nvidea launching a new card.
This will of course be better than the 1080ti. Will this give us a sharper and crispier VR-experience?
Probably we can run higher settings, but will thos have a great impact on VR?
Anyone?

We don't know much about volta yet. And I doubt it will be released this year.
Regarding sharper image in VR, there's nothing the GFX can do much about it. Even with triple the power of a 1080ti you would still be hindered by the low pixel density of the VR devices.

Haneye1969
27-09-2017, 10:46
Ok, so we must wait for an Oculus Upgrade? I run i7 7700, 32G RAM and 1080ti, and I’m not happy with the
result. The VR is actually clearer on Asetto Corsa, and I get 90FPS without problems, even with most settings on max.
In PC2 I have to use pretty low settings to get 90FPS. Actually i prefer 45FPS, the image is better due to SS 2.0.