PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting right now?

Paulzx
27-09-2017, 14:10
Hello All,

I spent a lot of time on the original game so was looking forward to the new game.
I've seen a lot of mixed reaction so far. I thought the first game was good even though
there were issues etc but what I want to know is - is the PS4 version worth buying at this moment in time?

If it's basically working but just has issues that need patching out, I can live with that for now.
If it's a complete mess then I'll wait until it's been patched.

What is the general concensus at the moment?

danowat
27-09-2017, 14:14
For a hotlapping and quick race sim, probably yes ,as long as you don't touch the control settings if you're using a pad, or try to use weather settings.

For anything else (career / MP), No.

loslogo
27-09-2017, 14:19
I would say it's not worth it right now. Super slow. So many bugs

solocapers
27-09-2017, 14:21
Hello All,

I spent a lot of time on the original game so was looking forward to the new game.
I've seen a lot of mixed reaction so far. I thought the first game was good even though
there were issues etc but what I want to know is - is the PS4 version worth buying at this moment in time?

If it's basically working but just has issues that need patching out, I can live with that for now.
If it's a complete mess then I'll wait until it's been patched.

What is the general concensus at the moment?

Issues that need to be sorted out but playable and not game breaking for the most part, depending on your viewpoint.

Doesn't in all honesty feel like its been tested all to well would be my honest appraisal.

Ive not seen a launch so shaky in bugs experienced in any major AAA release since funnily enough, P Cars 1 if im being honest. I hope it doesnt sound harsh but in my experience some of the problems are nothing but down to horrific testing. The rush to beat Gran Turismo Sport to the punch is probably the reason.

Still highly enjoyable now though.

JoshTheGeologist
27-09-2017, 14:21
If you liked Project Cars 1, you will love Project Cars 2. There are a few bugs, some more serious than others, but the devs are listening and patches are coming. In the games current state, it is still completely playable and I would 100% recommend it.

danowat
27-09-2017, 14:27
If you liked Project Cars 1, you will love Project Cars 2. There are a few bugs, some more serious than others, but the devs are listening and patches are coming. In the games current state, it is still completely playable and I would 100% recommend it.

Completely playable with definate caveats though, there are a number of situations that would test the patience of a saint.

Djuvinile
27-09-2017, 14:28
answer to thread: yes

stephensmattlee
27-09-2017, 14:29
Hate to say it but yes, you’re probably best off waiting a while until things have been fixed and patched before buying. How long that will take is anybodies guess. Maybe by then the price might have come down a little too.

Death Proof
27-09-2017, 14:59
Since you are talking console do what I did, rent it and see for yourself. At this point I have very mixed feelings about it. I love the driving the tuning, experimenting...pretty much all the technical stuff, and that is while using a controller.

However when I try to put all of that into a race I am struggling to find the enjoyment at times. Handling inconsistencies between game modes or save files (not even sure which to be honest) and the AI either gives you a good race or an exercise in futility, and some bugs (some worse than others). I wish I had a crystal ball so I could see what a fully patched Pcars2 will be like. Just my honest opinion at this time.

apexbuddha
27-09-2017, 15:53
I'm going to come down on the side of yes. I finally have the settings for my DS controller dialed to a point where I'm getting consistent practice sessions and quick races, but I also know there are bugs (along with patches coming), so I've yet to dive into the career mode yet.

wyldanimal
27-09-2017, 16:21
If you enjoy driving / racing YES. If your looking for a solid League Title. then hold off till it's Patched.
It has some issues, but nothing that prevents you from enjoying a great drive or a good race.

rmboss
27-09-2017, 16:27

I would say if you liked PC1 then you will hate PC2 waste of money right now

Madwak55
27-09-2017, 16:35
I would say yes if you've got plenty of "tinker" time and are using a wheel.

KasperVJensen
27-09-2017, 16:54
I would hold off. I wouldn’t have bought it had I know how many bugs there are.

hossa
27-09-2017, 17:52
Wait

warth0g
27-09-2017, 18:53
IMO it's well worth getting now. It has loads of small but not game-breaking bugs. The core of the game is great and I think is going to have a very long shelf life. I jumped straight into the career mode and have been enjoying some excellent racing in the Ginetta Juniors. Fantastic fun so I'm glad I took the risk. I've also done minimal tweaking and had a really immersive experience. I never got on with PCars 1 because despite hours of tweaking it never felt right to me. This does feel good and I think compares quite favorably to AC. I think they've also done a brilliant job with the overall interface and the car and track selection is excellent, at least to my tastes.

Diablo944
27-09-2017, 18:57
No. But, a fair few people have said they are returning for refunds so if you buy it second hand then the answer is ................still no, not at this moment. But when it gets patched up maybe its a yes and you will have gotten it cheaper.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
27-09-2017, 19:35
I wouldn't bother. Trying to control the cars is a terrible experience and spinning out can happen so inconsistently. You end up being cautious the whole way round and even if you manage not to have a moment somewhere the screen tearing and random frame rate will get you. And the default controller settings make it worse because the deadzone increases throttle sensitivity, spinny mcspinface central. It feels like nobody thought to test it. Can't even get a refund now.

KasperVJensen
27-09-2017, 20:37
IMO it's well worth getting now. It has loads of small but not game-breaking bugs. The core of the game is great and I think is going to have a very long shelf life. I jumped straight into the career mode and have been enjoying some excellent racing in the Ginetta Juniors. Fantastic fun so I'm glad I took the risk. I've also done minimal tweaking and had a really immersive experience. I never got on with PCars 1 because despite hours of tweaking it never felt right to me. This does feel good and I think compares quite favorably to AC. I think they've also done a brilliant job with the overall interface and the car and track selection is excellent, at least to my tastes.

I have yet to have a smooth experience in any mode. Some bug always ruins it. That for me completely ruins the game.

garenki
27-09-2017, 21:40
At this time this game value it's about 20Euros. No more. So if you can find a copy at this price take it.

jockyjalopy
27-09-2017, 22:59
your either a car guy or not

hkraft300
27-09-2017, 23:30
Just going to put it out there: if you're on console at least get the disc version. Running on anecdotal evidence so far but my theory is the digital version is F'd and he disc version is OK.

But as Jockyjalopy just said: you'll have to be a car guy and this game will turn you into a motorsport guy.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
28-09-2017, 12:33
Just going to put it out there: if you're on console at least get the disc version. Running on anecdotal evidence so far but my theory is the digital version is F'd and he disc version is OK.

But as Jockyjalopy just said: you'll have to be a car guy and this game will turn you into a motorsport guy.

no, disc version is quite f'd too. The erratic frame rates are a show stopper and I can't see them fixing it for a while. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say the physics steps are too intense at times and not processing in time causing rendering to skip frames to sync back up what you're seeing with what's happening.

breyzipp
28-09-2017, 12:59
Is it worth getting right now?

Short answer: yes!
Long answer: hell yes!!!

Flins
28-09-2017, 13:06

No and Hell No !!!
just wait for the patch and after :

:D

CodeCmdr
28-09-2017, 16:45
The upcoming PS4 patch should fix a major issue that impacts career mode (currently the AI is cheating). When that's fixed, I'd recommend buying the game if you're mainly into it for the single-player.

If you're into multiplayer, then you may want to wait. The PS4 version has major frame-rate issues in multiplayer, and lots of UI bugs and design flaws. It's possible to have fun with it, but it's not a smooth and polished product for competitive online races as iRacing is.

Paulzx
28-09-2017, 18:21
Okay guys, thanks for all the feedback. I can tell from the various opinions that it's really mixed opinion which means it's not ready.

Remember I'm not asking how good a sim it is, I just want to know if it's working properly and obviously the general public are actually doing the testing
on this game (as it seems to me anyway) so I think I'll hold off until it's in a better state.

I've got Assetto Corsa and F12017 so plenty of driving action, I expect P cars 1 still has players so I'll get my fix there for now.

Let's hope they get it working properly quickly so we can enjoy this thing

Flins
28-09-2017, 19:17
Nice decision