PDA

View Full Version : This game has killed nearly all interest in my "hardcore" sims.

kondor999
27-09-2017, 19:22
This game has simply destroyed all my interest in AC and rF2. I still enjoy Raceroom because it has complete race series, but with the Jack Spade FFB files, Raceroom's FFB no longer feels all that great.

Last night, I set up a 1998 Le Mans race at night with all the major participants from 1998 (the game has several, including the highly esoteric Panoz), then set it up to rain midway through my 20 lap little slice of Le Mans awesomeness.

Just unbelievable fun, guys. No, the AI isn't 100% perfect. I put this down to there being so many possible permutations of cars, tracks and conditions. But it was FUN. No other racing sim can give you this "You are there" feeling right now.

Even my wife stopped, looked and said "That one looks cooler than your others. What is it?".

I rest my case.

I love how they focused on some specific time periods that were legendary, and included most major entrants:

1) Le Mans 1998.
2) IMSA GTP 1988.
3) Le Mans 1967.
4) Gr5/GTX/Super Silhouette 1980-84

If you're a real motorsports fan, you know that these time periods were expertly chosen.

Anyway, my hat is off to SMS. I was a huge skeptic, but you guys really did it this time.

Leper Messiah
27-09-2017, 19:24
I will say not everyone has the Panoz! ;)

Roger Prynne
27-09-2017, 19:26
So you got the wife's approval, cant wish for better than that :eagerness:

Alan Dallas
27-09-2017, 19:39
I actually uninstalled R3E and rF2 may go as well.

I can't stop driving the Ford GT GTE and the IR-12.
My face hurts after most race sessions from smiling all the damn time!!

Trooper117
27-09-2017, 19:58
yep... can't stop myself from jumping into PC2 on a daily basis.
I was never like this with PC1 or AC... Today, racing around Silverstone and it started to rain, within a couple of laps it was pouring.
Inside 3 mins I was encountering puddles that had collected at different areas of the track that made my hair stand on end when the tyres grip faded for an instant.
I was starting to worry... 2 laps to go, the lead I had built up was starting to dwindle as I dealt with the conditions... must hang on and get the win... I almost forgot I was in a game.

Purg
27-09-2017, 22:56
Much the same. I was drifting away from AC to R3E because of the race series being modelled. PC2 offers a whole experience and it's great that they also focused on race series more this time around. It gives the series longer legs when you can choose from a whole bunch of cars that have their own personalities.

pedrochapps
27-09-2017, 23:25
The Game is Awesome Now all we need is the Ability to make custom offline championships with the ai.

Im loving the GT1 cars those things are awesome to drive although maybe a bit easier than i had taught they would be.

CassielLight
28-09-2017, 01:02
@kondor

Not to get too personal, but if she thinks it's that good, does she play? Because if you both could agree on a setup, you could do a 24-hour real-time race together. You know what they say about families that play together, yeah? :)

krisby
28-09-2017, 01:10
Funny, I'm the opposite, PC2 is so unsatisfying and full of bugs it has pushed me towards my other sims. I never appreciated R3E so much.
Sure, PC2 looks great, but I can't get on with all the work arounds, you can't play career yet cos the first two tiers are broken, heck I couldn't even do RX quick race, driving a dirt track was like ice, the Indy cars have no spatial awareness and I am yet to have one race in anything where there isn't some stupid issue, and the worst part is I can't even get my money back from steam either.
Here's hoping a patch makes a major difference, but for now, I'm not prepared to appreciate the looks at the expense of everything else, thats like going out with Gal Gadot and finding out she is frigid.

Eric Rowland
28-09-2017, 01:20
"If you're a real motorsports fan, you know that these time periods were expertly chosen."

You got that right! :yes:

Muz_J
28-09-2017, 02:32
Im loving the GT1 cars those things are awesome to drive although maybe a bit easier than i had taught they would be.

Yep - I really love the Group C cars first, closely followed by GT1. Those two groups are great and even though the Group C cars are a bit of a handful, once you dial your brain it, they're very fun to drive.

I'm a big fan of RFactor 2 - but picked up PCars 2 after seeing all the positive feedback and wanting access to more online players and servers and I can't say I regret the decision.

The FFB is a lot better than PCars 1. I'd say it's on par with RF2, which is impressive and graphically I'd have to say it's better optimised. I'm not ditching RF2 just yet, but PCars 2 has won me over.

pedrochapps
28-09-2017, 02:45
Yep - I really love the Group C cars first, closely followed by GT1. Those two groups are great and even though the Group C cars are a bit of a handful, once you dial your brain it, they're very fun to drive.

I'm a big fan of RFactor 2 - but picked up PCars 2 after seeing all the positive feedback and wanting access to more online players and servers and I can't say I regret the decision.

The FFB is a lot better than PCars 1. I'd say it's on par with RF2, which is impressive and graphically I'd have to say it's better optimised. I'm not ditching RF2 just yet, but PCars 2 has won me over.

yea the game is far better than people are making out. there are some bugs but show me a game that does not on launch. this game should be epic once they are ironed out

Mahjik
28-09-2017, 02:53
This game has killed nearly all interest in my "hardcore" sims.

So, you're implying PC2 isn't a hardcore sim?

Cheesenium
28-09-2017, 02:53
"If you're a real motorsports fan, you know that these time periods were expertly chosen."

You got that right! :yes:

I would say, SMS is probably the only racing game studio that I'll trust to bring the awesome cars to a racing game. Look at all the fantastic classes and cars we have in the game.

Every class and car oozes with different personality. Even hundreds of hours in WMD2, I am still coming back despite I like to have some new cars to play with now.

RacingAtHome
28-09-2017, 05:26
I would say, SMS is probably the only racing game studio that I'll trust to bring the awesome cars to a racing game. Look at all the fantastic classes and cars we have in the game.

*that are not modern Touring Cars.

3 TCR spec cars for a series with 9 models and 2 of them fantasy? #RAGE #SMSNEVERIFITSATOURINGCAR** :P

**May not be completely serious but the point is still valid. The tin tops are awesome in game. Give us more!!

Cheesenium
28-09-2017, 05:52
*that are not modern Touring Cars.

3 TCR spec cars for a series with 9 models and 2 of them fantasy? #RAGE #SMSNEVERIFITSATOURINGCAR** :P

**May not be completely serious but the point is still valid. The tin tops are awesome in game. Give us more!!

Nothing is perfect.

Consider that many classes in pcars 1 are a greatly expanded here in Pcars 2, I ain't complaining.

More TCR is always great, we need more of it as they are such a joy to drive.

Erwin Berkers
28-09-2017, 05:58
My wife actually plays the game... What she enjoys most is rally cross and ice racing.

Kebabfelix
28-09-2017, 06:01
Yeah PC2 killed AC for me. Having so much fun right now.

There are still tons of online bugs that make it really frustrating at times, BUT when things click and you find that nice server with a wet race at a track you never seen it is just magical.

Kebabfelix
28-09-2017, 06:03

Check the AC sub, some people really freaking hate the game lol.

Erwin Berkers
28-09-2017, 07:29
Some people look through the fanboy-ism and enjoy all sims for what they are. I continue playing AC, love the Fiat's, Alfa Romeos, Maserati 250f, Praga, and many more that are iconic for this simulator.

But I do admit taking a 20 lap race on Knockhill with the Caterham, starting with rain and ending with sun, for testing out LiveTrack 3.0 is one of the best sim racing experiences I've come across. No two laps were the same, even the grip varies within the lap, featuring dynamic puddle size where you need to adjust your driving line. Just epic, no other words for it.

Sankyo
28-09-2017, 07:39
Given that 'hardcore' seems to mean 'more difficult than real life just for the sake of bragging you can stay on the track for more than 18 seconds without spinning', I tend to agree :)

steve30x
28-09-2017, 08:12
Project Cars 2 is even better in VR. I was playing it with my Oculus DK2 yesterday and its absolutely awesome in VR. The VR experience is far better than it is in Project CARS 1

rosgillies
28-09-2017, 09:23
@Kondor999
You obviously never experienced AC orR3e or indeed RF2 before dx11 when they first came out. Took months or more to trim them and they still have anomalies. PC1, not good, I`m being kind there, but now we have PC2. Miles ahead of any others out there even with the ai and other bugs and can only get better. Give it a chance and enjoy it as it is for now or are you saying it`s so unplayable we should all return it. I think not.With my V3 motion platform, buttkickers, t500rs, th8a shifter, Oculus rift cv1 and 5.1 audio I get a more immersive experience with this sim than any other even at this early juncture. I have a problem with the platform and buttkickers not shutting off when going to menu`s. Put that in a post and almost immediately got a reply from a staff member. I can remember a lot of other sim forums where that never happened. So from a pensioner with a passion, give it a fair go and for now enjoy.

Kaerar
28-09-2017, 09:28

Tribals will be tribal :D

I don't get that personally, I have AC, pCARS2, iRacing, they all have their place and are fun.

Jussi Karjalainen
28-09-2017, 09:42
Project Cars 2 is even better in VR. I was playing it with my Oculus DK2 yesterday and its absolutely awesome in VR. The VR experience is far better than it is in Project CARS 1If you have any interest in ice driving, give the Mercedes Ice Track a try in VR. The 3D and spatial awareness makes it so much easier to judge your entry speeds and keep the car on the proper path. You can get used to it on a monitor of course, but in VR it's pretty much just natural. =)

MisterBronze
28-09-2017, 09:43

Interesting on the rFactor2 forum PC2 is going down ok'ish and AC is seen as a bit of a 'Simcade'. :confused:

Sankyo
28-09-2017, 09:45
Interesting on the rFactor2 forum PC2 is going down ok'ish and AC is seen as a bit of a 'Simcade'. :confused:
That's just too bizzarre to read... :eek:

Sankyo
28-09-2017, 09:46
Project Cars 2 is even better in VR. I was playing it with my Oculus DK2 yesterday and its absolutely awesome in VR. The VR experience is far better than it is in Project CARS 1

Stop saying that. I'm trying to hold off getting me a Rift...

GAT_Montana
28-09-2017, 10:18

Remco...you Need a Rift! Following the development of PC since the very first days you need to get the full experience! It is unbelivable how detailed the cockpits are. Things you never would see on your screen you can explore in VR. And you leran to understand how complex race driver have to act, just because of the restrictions of a closed cockpit compared to open wheelers. It is a nother world you will dig in with a VR Headset. Only negative point is the resolution perhaps.

GrimeyDog
28-09-2017, 10:41

VR was Great in Pcars1 but VR is just Amazing in Pcars2 ---> It feels sooo Real if the Car has a Small driving cockpit in VR i find Myself readjusting My Rig seating position because i feel Squeezed in!!! <--- I dont do this when playing on the TV!!! Get VR Dude!!!

Also im at least .500 to 1 full sec faster in VR because it feels sooo natural ---> You can even adjust Side and in Car Mirror angles!!!

FriendCalledFive
28-09-2017, 10:49

Dude, get a Rift, it is a literal game changer. Especially as you have the hardware to drive it.

Trooper117
28-09-2017, 11:21
Can't afford any type of VR set at the moment, they are just too expensive for my budget... I'm using my TrackIR 5 though which makes a big difference :)

Daynja
28-09-2017, 12:30
Can't afford any type of VR set at the moment, they are just too expensive for my budget...

Unfortunately I'm in the same predicament, although currently using triple wide screens (cheap ones- LG ftw). VR is definitely the future, for me regarding immersion.

pa_pinkelman
28-09-2017, 12:52

Remco are you serious? With a system like that it's a crime to NOT have a Rift!!!:D
I know I will have one as soon as I have the money available... Problem is I got rid of my gaming-PC years ago in favour of console gaming. So this will be a solid investment, but it'll be worth it I'm sure.

Roger Prynne
28-09-2017, 12:52
Can't afford any type of VR set at the moment, they are just too expensive for my budget... I'm using my TrackIR 5 though which makes a big difference :)

I know the feeling :sulkiness:

kondor999
01-10-2017, 00:28
@kondor

Not to get too personal, but if she thinks it's that good, does she play? Because if you both could agree on a setup, you could do a 24-hour real-time race together. You know what they say about families that play together, yeah? :)

I am not kidding with this story: My wife has watched me play these sims since 2011, when I first really got into the hobby. Never once did she express any interest in trying them out - even though she really enjoys the go karts at our local amusement park and is "into" nice cars (she wants to me get an i8, and it was her idea for me to get an M6 a few years ago).

That changed when she saw me playing PC2. She started asking "Can I try that?" after she saw the day-night and weather transitions. I asked her "Why now?" and she simply said "That one looks real for some reason. I don't know, I can just tell it's better." She also said "I've never seen you this excited while playing one."

Anyway, she tried the Aston GTE car and loved it. Not enough to want to play all the time like I do, but she kept saying "It feels like a car!" over and over.

OzTheMalefic
01-10-2017, 12:46
Today, racing around Silverstone and it started to rain, within a couple of laps it was pouring.
Inside 3 mins I was encountering puddles that had collected at different areas of the track that made my hair stand on end when the tyres grip faded for an instant.
I was starting to worry... 2 laps to go, the lead I had built up was starting to dwindle as I dealt with the conditions... must hang on and get the win... I almost forgot I was in a game.

GT5 career race at Silverstone national, the club straight for the last 3 or so laps was almost impossible due to standing water, it was fantastic.