PDA

View Full Version : Pcars 2 literally broke my wheel

z3r0cool77
27-09-2017, 21:34

The washers I luckily had lying around to repair it.
And the bowl of shattered plastic that fell out when I opened the wheel.

Not bitter, just amused. The force from hitting a wall slammed the wheel so hard it shattered the parts of the lower half of the housing where the motor mounted.

Lplate
28-09-2017, 03:16
What wheel was is? thrustmaster, logitech or .. ? Just Interested to know.

Aldo Zampatti
28-09-2017, 03:19
Wow...

Muz_J
28-09-2017, 03:30
What wheel was is? thrustmaster, logitech or .. ? Just Interested to know.

Looks like a Logitech to me - I can tell from the rectangular plastic section in the middle, which is underneath and used to route cables around... that's my guess anyway.

Coanda
28-09-2017, 03:34
I also hit a wall & parked against it & then my wheel turned to full lock & went nuts with oscillation. concerning..

Ravager619
28-09-2017, 04:52

You too? This happened to my T150 wheel last Thursday night. I'm in the process of trying to get a replacement part for this. For now, I'm using a keyring and a carabiner clip to mount my wheel to my desk so I can keep driving.

honespc
28-09-2017, 05:59
Some of you like really strong ffb.

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 06:36
Some of you like really strong ffb.

No wheel should be able to deliver such strong forces that it can destroy its mounts itself. If it does, it's badly designed.

honespc
28-09-2017, 06:46
^Game is to blame then?

Shepard2603
28-09-2017, 06:51
^Game is to blame then?
You are really taking any possibility (justified or not) to pick on the game, aren't you? If you don't like it, get out!

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 06:52
^Game is to blame then?

No, the wheel manufacturer.
It's impossible for a game to break hardware because it can't force the wheel to give a FFB output that is higher than what the FFB motors can deliver.

Sankyo
28-09-2017, 07:53

The washers I luckily had lying around to repair it.
And the bowl of shattered plastic that fell out when I opened the wheel.

Not bitter, just amused. The force from hitting a wall slammed the wheel so hard it shattered the parts of the lower half of the housing where the motor mounted.

So you crashed and your hardware broke? Sounds realistic to me :p.

Silraed
28-09-2017, 09:40
Must have been a fault in the plastic that was just waiting to give way, pretty unfortunate for it to happen.

I had a moment going down the mountain at Bathurst the other day where I lost the back end, over corrected and had the wheel torn from my grip when I contacted the wall, caught my finger and it was pretty sore for a couple hours :rolleyes:. I learnt my lesson to pay attention and not hold the wheel in irresponsible ways while being lazy, FFB can feel menacingly real sometimes even on the G27.

^Game is to blame then?

I'm not sure how you got that from anything that was said.

GTsimms
28-09-2017, 10:04
It could be from the user over tightening the plastic mount, too. I have T150 and I swap regularly with a T300 and have yet to experience this. But, I can say some do use excessive ffb.

Exoil
28-09-2017, 11:38
My T300 had a fit while playing Dirt Rally a year a go and started banging to itself violently to the left steering lock and it broke the plastic mount. I got a replacement from TM but hard mounted the wheel to my MDF-rig instead in the mean time.

MXR SMILER
28-09-2017, 11:54
Don't underestimate how much force is going through those mounts. I have a homemade mount for the G920 and my mate ripped the wheel mount from its fixings, and ended up with the wheel and its mount going insane as the cars smashed in to barriers etc. Quite funny watching him screaming like a girl as he was thrown around.....:D

PS The wheel was fine but I haven't seen my mate since....

SharpEyez
28-09-2017, 12:03
Don't underestimate how much force is going through those mounts. I have a homemade mount for the G920 and my mate ripped the wheel mount from its fixings, and ended up with the wheel and its mount going insane as the cars smashed in to barriers etc. Quite funny watching him screaming like a girl as he was thrown around.....:D

PS The wheel was fine but I haven't seen my mate since....

That lol'ed me hahaha

Do you perhaps got any footage of the happening? :o:p

z3r0cool77
28-09-2017, 12:12
It could be from the user over tightening the plastic mount, too. I have T150 and I swap regularly with a T300 and have yet to experience this. But, I can say some do use excessive ffb.

Its not the table mounts that broke it broke where the screws mount the motors to the casing internally. There are 4 screws that screw in through recessed hole in the base that go up into the motor mount and secure it to the bottom half of the housing. The recessed part of the housing between the screw and motor mount is what shattered, on all 4 screws. Probably not all at once though. I noticed a little play in the wheel a couple days ago but didnt think much of it. Just thought it was down to contruction or something loose. Then yesterday it got worse and there was so much vertical movement it was effecting my ability to drive so I opened it up to investigate.

Luckily the screws were long enough that I was able to use washers on the bottom side and still have them reach up in to secure the motor mount.

Logitech G920, only had it about 2 months.

MXR SMILER
28-09-2017, 12:21
Still under warranty? Get a replacement.....I would contact the manufacturer. I noticed on your photo you have used a split washer. While this will resist loosening it has less contact area and will cause high pressure points. Can I suggest you use a flat washer of a larger diameter to spread the load over a wider area? Good luck anyway...

Raklodder
28-09-2017, 12:21
I'm in a similar situation, where my wheel turns -450 degrees (counterclockwise) at the beginning of every race at full force, but my G920 isn't physical broken, yet.

z3r0cool77
28-09-2017, 12:46
Still under warranty? Get a replacement.....I would contact the manufacturer. I noticed on your photo you have used a split washer. While this will resist loosening it has less contact area and will cause high pressure points. Can I suggest you use a flat washer of a larger diameter to spread the load over a wider area? Good luck anyway...

Yea the lock washers were just all I had laying around that were small enough. I plan to get some flat washers as soon as I can make it to the hardware store.

As for warranty I ordered it from some shop through Amazon and hate having to deal with returns etc. will probably be stronger with the washers any way. A new one would probably just break the same way.

Daynja
28-09-2017, 12:49
My crummy plastic desk mount arm thingy I used to have for my Thrustmaster TX servo broke as its, well plastic and poorly designed.

I made the right choice and drilled two holes in my desk and bought 2 x M6 screw bolts now the wheel is firm and i dont worry about a crappy desk mount breaking

SreRacha
28-09-2017, 13:15
So you crashed and your hardware broke? Sounds realistic to me :p.

Proof Pcars2 is full sim, and unlike any other.

honespc
28-09-2017, 13:21
You are really taking any possibility (justified or not) to pick on the game, aren't you? If you don't like it, get out!ssh Relax bro. Take deep breath. Imagine you are in a wonderful place

JoshTheGeologist
28-09-2017, 13:29
I'm in a similar situation, where my wheel turns -450 degrees (counterclockwise) at the beginning of every race at full force, but my G920 isn't physical broken, yet.

This keeps happening to me every time I get into a session before I get out on track. My wheel turns all the way to the left or right... It is pissing me off

Ravager619
30-09-2017, 06:28
In my case, it's likely from tightening it too much. I have a glass desk, but in about five days a brand new wheel stand to mount it on will arrive. I'm also trying to get a new part from TM.

Mephic
30-09-2017, 06:48
Just curious did you use custom ffb file? (Full honesty please ;-) )

Ravager619
30-09-2017, 16:32

In my case? Nope. I believe the only tweak I did was to decrease the brake pedal sensitivity.

When I bought this new desk last year, I can only mount my wheel on it if the two arms are touching a metal crossbar that goes from one end of the desk to the other. The only way to keep it steady on there is to really tighten it down. Believe it or not, it broke in my hand when I tried to loosen it.

I probably should have bought a wheel stand at that time, but didn't think I needed it. Lesson learned.

Chomps_McGee
30-09-2017, 16:50
Looks like someone hacked your Gibson.

David Semperger
30-09-2017, 17:20

It makes no difference at all, in regards to what happened.

Mephic
30-09-2017, 18:09
It makes no difference at all, in regards to what happened.

But might increase probability. Every wheel has some durability behind and the stronger the forces are the shorter it is. Ultimately its cheap plastic and some electronics inside. (Probably cheap too)

David Semperger
30-09-2017, 21:26
But might increase probability. Every wheel has some durability behind and the stronger the forces are the shorter it is. Ultimately its cheap plastic and some electronics inside. (Probably cheap too)

Custom FFB settings doesn't automatically mean stronger forces though, personally I prefer weaker ones since it allows me faster corrections in steering. Also, it doesn't matter how the game is set up, it is literally impossible for it to break a wheel. Wheels are designed with their maximum force output in mind, which the game cannot exceed no matter what, it is the limit of the hardware. If they break at that point, it was either faulty design, a manufacturing problem, material fatigue, environmental damage or a combination of these factors.

z3r0cool77
30-09-2017, 22:28
With mine there was no custom file of any kind. I'm on xbox one. It also had nothing to do with tightening. The c clamps for attaching the wheel to my stand didnt break. The failure was of the plastic of the housing itself. In the picture I posted you can see 2 of the 4 screws across the bottom of the housing that go up through the plastic and into the metal frame to which the motors and shaft are attached. The internal plastic between the metal motor frame and the head of the screws shattered leaving holes in the base and nothing holding the front of the motor frame to the plastic housing. The washers (which I've since replaced with larger fender style washers) cover the holes and hold the motor frame securely against the plastic housing.

I'm sure they are supposed to be designed to withstand the maximum output of the wheel but they either failed to design it strong enough or there was a batch of bad plastic which came out too brittle.

Logitech G920