PDA

View Full Version : Why are almost all players below 1500?

Oliver Johann
28-09-2017, 05:12
In all races I have been almost all players have a rating below 1500, only very few have a rating (slightly) above 1500.
Maybe I misunderstood the logic behind this, but I thought this is some kind of ELO zero sum game (like iracing), where the sum of gains equals the sum of losses for the praticipants of a race.

jimortality
28-09-2017, 05:13
In all races I have been almost all players have a rating below 1500, only very few have a rating (slightly) above 1500.
Maybe I misunderstood the logic behind this, but I thought this is some kind of ELO zero sum game (like iracing), where the sum of gains equals the sum of losses for the praticipants of a race.

I don't understand it either. I've only had a few races but my rating hasn't moved lol

honespc
28-09-2017, 06:03
.Because you get penalized for being hit/rammed etc, too, not just the rammer. Most of us usually get hit by at the very least a couple of retards in every race, hence we tend to lose points.

Sensible development decision, is it

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 06:14
Because you get penalized for being hit/rammed etc, too, not just the rammer. Most of us usually get hit by at the very least a couple of retards in every race, hence we tend to lose points.

Sensible development decision, is it

The number is your performance rating and has nothing to do with the safety rank...

honespc
28-09-2017, 06:24
^And your performance rating also goes down when getting hit too, not just the letter..

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 06:34
^And your performance rating also goes down when getting hit too, not just the letter..

Your performance rating goes down when you finish in a bad position or don't finish at all. It does NOT go down when you are involved in a crash.

honespc
28-09-2017, 06:39
Is that so?, well. Yesterday a couple of races where I finished second and third respectively even after getting rolfmaorammed from behind like a couple of times in every race, and I saw my points going down too, not just the letter again from F down to U.

Care to explain this?, another bug maybe?, that would be believable indeed, given the current status of online functionality and the insane number of minor bugs that plague it.

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 06:49
What was the performance rating of the other drivers?
If your rating was the best of all of them you essentially have to win to not lose performance points.

Oliver Johann
28-09-2017, 06:53
honespc:

Yes, this is a sensible development decision. This is same as the safety rating on iracing. (iracing have figured this out long ago and it is the de facto standard for competitve and clean online racing. All SMS have to do is to copy iracings method)

But my point is, when this is not a zero sum game, how is the rating computed?

honespc
28-09-2017, 06:57
What was the performance rating of the other drivers?
If your rating was the best of all of them you essentially have to win to not lose performance points.
oh, didn't know that one. I guess I was at the very least among the highest rating points in that session then, although we were like fifteen folks or so and that is too much info to remember right now. Can't even remember one tbh..

Next time I try taking a pic if what I believed it to happens eventually, although your explanation makes perfect sense.

CodeCmdr
28-09-2017, 07:01
I think it's a bit demotivating that the default rating of 1500 is displayed, and that it seems to be higher than average. It would be better if it were hidden for the first 10 or so races, so that it doesn't feel like you're failing.

ian2726
28-09-2017, 10:06
It'll take a month or so before we get a true and accurate reading. the system in use needs this to time to settle.

Minolin
28-09-2017, 10:18
and that it seems to be higher than average

I'd be very confused if 1500 is not the total and absolute average, forever. Everything looks like this is an ELO rating, which totally makes sense. I did pretty much the same for AC in the past.
Unlike points for racing positions, an ELO based system will always substract and add a stable amount of points. How much depends on the expectancy value between two drivers, but it's constant on both ends (like +5 and -5; +2 and -2 and so on).

m00lean
28-09-2017, 11:41
Well I'm at ~1460 and have lost at least 150 points due to random disconnects. I'd imagine that this happened to the majority of players.

SaxonRaider
28-09-2017, 14:18
I was racing a good clean race with 9 other Spanish guys the other night, my skill rating was 1518, most of the other guys had very similar skill rating. I started 8th on the grid, and finished 6th place out of 10. My skill dropped to 1516 as more people beat me than got beaten by my. I think its working well.