PDA

View Full Version : How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 09:34
If you're new to sim racing, here are some great online tutorials about how to improve your racing:

SAFE is FAST (https://www.youtube.com/user/SAFEisFAST/videos)

TurnFast.com (http://www.turnfast.com/technical)

iRacing Racing School YouTube playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqZLBOpI5JFKebBA_i-SCkGRRypXovWv6)

https://speedsecrets.com/driving-tips-2/ (Ross Bentley's site)

"Ultimate Speed Secrets: The Complete Guide to High-Performance and Race Driving" by Ross Bentley (http://amzn.com/0760340501)

Race Logic ebook: Advanced Circuit Driving Techniques (http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/Misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf)

Check out this thread from the PCARS 1 forums (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast) for even more tutorials.

whip
28-09-2017, 09:35
driver61 is an amazing youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbLA0YM6EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q

OperatorWay
28-09-2017, 10:46
And, of course, the popular "Skip Barber - Going Faster" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM) video.

Trooper117
28-09-2017, 11:03
Great stuff! thanks for the links :cool:

Minolin
28-09-2017, 12:16
Can I suggest you pin some "official" racing rules as well? Currently we're fighting over "I had overlap!" and "My nose was in front!". Many different opinions of what is right, doesn't work out well for a Safety Rating.
For Street and GT racing, minorating.com should have a few suggestions

Civic
28-09-2017, 23:41
Can I suggest you pin some "official" racing rules as well? Currently we're fighting over "I had overlap!" and "My nose was in front!". Many different opinions of what is right, doesn't work out well for a Safety Rating.
For Street and GT racing, minorating.com should have a few suggestions

That's a silly fight, in sim racing it is up to you to avoid collisions, that means the car inside always has right of way. That is the reason the iRacing spotter is a good function. If he says car inside it means do not turn in. In addition to this it also means that once the car outside has started to turn in you should not put your nose in if you wish to avoid a collision.

That's where this front end damage feature is brilliant. I love how hitting someone from behind can result in your race being over if damage is turned on because even on iRacing at the top level people use bump passing selectively in races to gain at least one position.

CodeCmdr
29-09-2017, 05:06
A great video on racecraft for beginners, Scott Handley's "Surviving Rookies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&list=PL6DrFHFm0bsORR7MC_Mrumn6GERqFUpng

Minolin
29-09-2017, 18:36
that means the car inside always has right of way

Aeh no. While this may be a valid rule in some series (won't argue that), this is why offical rulesets are important.

Civic
30-09-2017, 00:48
Aeh no. While this may be a valid rule in some series (won't argue that), this is why offical rulesets are important.

You're not getting it.

This is racing on a screen, not racing in the real world.

It is up to everyone to try and avoid a collision with the understanding of the limitations of driving in a sim.

That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside. Do you know why there are pillar rules in the real world? It is because that is the only way you can be sure the driver knew the car was there.

Such rules are not practical in sim racing yet because of FOV restrictions as there is no way of determining at what point a person will no you are there. Any rule would not be practical and not directly comparable to a real world series.

So in sim racing the common sense approach you must take if you have an attitude of finishing races is to never turn in on someone when they might be on your inside, develop good awareness so you know when a car might be there. And most importantly is to know your competition. Whenever you are racing someone you are not familiar with you should give them space until you know their on track behaviours.

I'll let you in on a secret that took me some time to learn. I've made a lot of passes by letting guys pass me. When you identify a person who you think racing against is a high risk, let them pass and take out the guy in front of you for an easy pass. Sometimes you get lucky and they take out multiple people all at once.

To win a race it isn't only about being fast, it is also about having the skills to make it to the end by avoiding Maldonado ;)

Konan
30-09-2017, 02:47
That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside.

Hmmm...wild guess....you don't follow F1? :p

Civic
30-09-2017, 03:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTeuHg4dZFw

Trooper117
30-09-2017, 11:25
That is why it is silly to turn down on someone while they are inside of you and to be realistic in real life no one ever turns in on a car they know is inside.

lol... someone should have a word with Sebastion Vettel then :)

Minolin
30-09-2017, 13:00
You're not getting it.

That might be true, I don't even understand the points you made in the context of the discussion. All I was suggesting is that SMS states official racing rules for pc2. If we don't have a common sense of what is expected, I don't see how we have better and cleaner races compared to a world where everybody may has his own opinion.

Especially simracers have the problem that they tend to have a very strong opinion (in doubt re-read your posts).

Civic
30-09-2017, 14:43
Even iRacing doesn't have such a rule.

The reason being that in sim racing you have no peripheral vision and people race with a very small FOV do they can only see what is in front of them.

If such a discussion ever come up on iRacing the advice would be to develop better situational awareness and someone might even like the surviving rookies videos.

There is no practical rule that is reasonable considering the limitations of racing on a tiny screen.

And how would such a rule be enforced?

So the best solution is tell people to develop better situational awareness and drive to the situation. It is up to everyone to avoid wrecks.

nepal roade
30-09-2017, 14:59
Civic said "It is up to everyone to avoid wrecks"

I agree. If it were taken seriously, then Dan Wheldon would still be alive today possibly. That horrendous crash at Las Vegas Motor Speedway circuit could have been mostly avoided if the drivers behind the start of it had just lifted off and shown caution. But that is not the mindset unfortunately, win at all costs is the general attitude and in real life that costs lives. In a sim race it just costs someone their race, and a lot of wasted time if practise is involved. It shows a lack of respect for others and is incredibly juvenile.

Civic
30-09-2017, 15:08
I'm not sure how that is relevant. I've been trying to point out why real life passing rules like pillar rules can't be applicable to sim racing. My comment about avoiding wrecks is related to sim racing. The reason being because when someone gets inside of you there is no way of knowing where they are and if there is any kind of distance rule the car being passed has no way of knowing if the car inside had reached the point that gives them right of way.

rich1e I
30-09-2017, 15:44
The car on the inside does in no way always have the right of way. While you have to give some space you can try to hold your position on the outside. If your car is on the inside and at least half a car lenght in front, then yes, you can claim the corner. People trying to overtake on impossible spots are a huge problem. Be patient, hang back, apply pressure and force mistakes, then overtake cleanly.

Civic
30-09-2017, 23:35
Half a length in front? You're dreaming, sim racers will never race like that when they don't need to race like that anywhere else.

rich1e I
01-10-2017, 11:13
You sound like you were the ambassador for all sim racers. I think you just talk for yourself. If you think you can just throw your car to the inside of a corner or just divebomb to have the right of way for the next corner, then you're a dangerous driver. If you're not half a length in front nobody has to give up his position because of a self declared right of way.

Civic
01-10-2017, 21:49
Not an ambassador. Just a bloke who argued from your position until other sim racers who were better than me schooled me about situational awareness in sim racing and now a guy with more experience and who has watched the best sim racers in the world racing and seeing how they race.

NeilsOnWheels
02-10-2017, 23:27
I’ve spent 12 months learning the ropes in iRacing, plus previous online experience going back to Live For Speed day’s. I’m new to Project Cars, however the following has worked for me:

1. Drive within your means.
2. Give up a position if being hounded by a reckless driver. You’ll pass them once they crash.
3. When struggling to pass a driver, stay close, but not too close and wait for a mistake.
4. When following two dicing cars, give them room to fight it out and don’t get caught in their crash.
5. Be consistent in your own lap times.

I’m rarely the fastest on track, however this strategy allows me to finish higher than my starting position, improves my safety rating, improves my techniques and keeps me coming back for more fun.

martymoose
06-10-2017, 00:02
That's a silly fight, in sim racing it is up to you to avoid collisions, that means the car inside always has right of way. That is the reason the iRacing spotter is a good function. If he says car inside it means do not turn in. In addition to this it also means that once the car outside has started to turn in you should not put your nose in if you wish to avoid a collision.

Under your rule the inside car can do whatever and the outside needs to do all to avoid a collision. No need to leave the outside car room on exit or even at the apex? inside can dive bomb and go as wide as they want with the outside car just vanishing for the king on the inside.

Simplest general rule for casual racing is leave racing room when overlapped, this will avoid contact from both cars. Whichever car didnt leave room is at fault and its a 2 way street. If battle someone over many laps leaving them plenty of room for their dive bomb antics later in the race the door will be shut and they will be shocked. Most of these guys need all the track and then some, totally incapable of going side by side with anyone down a straight let alone a corner. Simply putting pressure on them for a few laps is normally enough to make them make an error at which point they normally drive you off the track mid straight or re enter the track to cut off your run. Just general ahole behaviour normally after a collision they bring out the famous Senna defence.

If you want to race like an Ahole divebombing and thinking everyone needs to leave you the room but you dont need to for anyone else, best to stick with AI racing or hotlapping I think.

Civic
06-10-2017, 00:39
Under your rule the inside car can do whatever and the outside needs to do all to avoid a collision. No need to leave the outside car room on exit or even at the apex? inside can dive bomb and go as wide as they want with the outside car just vanishing for the king on the inside.

Why is that? Because you say so? Saying it is up to every driver to avoid a collision would imply the inside car has as much responsibility to hold his lane as the outside car has to not turn in. That's the key reason it works. For example at Watkins Glen on iRacing you can let anyone have the inside through the outer loop and you will always come out ahead. That's the trick racing there, always make sure you have the outside line through that corner and try to trick the other guy into taking the inside line.

Simplest general rule for casual racing is leave racing room when overlapped, this will avoid contact from both cars.

This is exactly what I am saying. When ever 2 cars are alongside they must both give each other room. The outside car should never turn in. People are acting like there needs to be some kind of pillar rule or an in front rule similar to IRL but these are not practical for the sim racing world. The only practical rule is that everyone must try and avoid collisions and give each other space.

In regards to a dive bomb clearly the guy who does that is not trying to avoid collisions or giving space. But more often than not being able to anticipate such a move and reacting to it in a way that gives the idiot space can allow you not only avoid a collision with him but stay in front of him as being able to avoid a divebomb on entry usually will put you in a better position for exit.

Except on PCARS2 with the terrible mirror that seems impossible as cars seemingly appear out of no where to divebomb you. Still it doesn't change the fact that regardless of if you are on the inside or outside when you are next to a car regardless of how far alongside the car is it is stupid to move into their position.

rich1e I
06-10-2017, 12:29
You clearly said the car on the inside has the right of way, and that's nonsense imo.

Civic
06-10-2017, 18:07
Yes the car on the inside has the right to the inside lane that he is occupying, only a fool would turn in on a car that is next to them. I think you are trying to make out from an isolated statement I said something other than what I said while ignoring every other comment I made on the subject.

rich1e I
06-10-2017, 18:21
Well 'right of way' is something completely different than 'right to hold your line', but ok, if there's context I've overlooked I apologise.

Civic
06-10-2017, 20:01
No prob I can understand how I could be misunderstood. I think it stems from the various lines. The racing line uses the entire track, when 2 cars are alongside neither can follow the racing line. Typically we desire the inside line in such a situation and earlier we were talking specifically in regard to a car turning into a car on the inside when the outside car wishes to follow the racing line. In that regard I was just saying the car inside has the right to the inside line. I didn't think I needed to clarify I was not talking about the racing line.

But it should be noted that the disagreement stems from my belief that the outside car should give the inside car room for him to take that inside line. Unless you can be sure that the inside car isn't alongside you at all you should never turn in on him IMO, I think if you turn in on a car inside and hit them, it is your fault. Then I'll take that further by suggesting you should always drive to the situation, not every driver drives to the same standard.

In fact I've been a victim just the other night of misjudging a driver. He was a C license, we were at Brands Hatch, I was leading the race. I assumed based on his license he was a clean driver so knowing he was behind me I took the racing line, he could have and should have avoided any contact unless he was a dirty driver but I gave him opportunity and he deliberately ran into me and spun me. My son saw it a mile away, I ignored my son as my son urged me to stay outside, in hindsight I should have known better because I know on that corner having the outside is the better lane choice anyway and would have kept me in the lead going into the next corner. The incident was clearly his fault, I sarcastically said on mic "nice pass" and "it's a pity you can't drive and need to crash people out of the way". But the reality is I could have avoided that crash and didn't so as much as he is at fault I take responsibility for not racing smarter. It was also in that moment I realised PC2 licence is no better than iRacing's. Fingers crossed for GTS.

rich1e I
06-10-2017, 23:33
I totally agree with you on the point that the outside car has to give room. This is basic stuff of racing etiquette plus if damage is on and the safety rank is at stake it's for my own good. If you want to finish first you first have to finish, right?
Maybe that guy misjudged the situation at Brands Hatch. You don't rank up to C if you keep plowing your way through the field and overtake at impossible spots.

Equation
07-10-2017, 07:46
Add this site to first post: https://driver61.com/

ossyoscar
12-10-2017, 12:47
Don't forget about this thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50856-Do-a-good-deed-help-a-rookie!-Guide

tjun
12-10-2017, 14:40
thank you for the information:o

Cholton82
25-10-2017, 10:08
Thought I'd share the Racelogic free ebook with you all , It's full of information from Compound corners to finding time in the wet. Very good and lots of useful information and best of all it's free . Just google Racelogic ebook

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/Misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf

JasonB
01-11-2017, 00:03
I’ve spent 12 months learning the ropes in iRacing, plus previous online experience going back to Live For Speed day’s. I’m new to Project Cars, however the following has worked for me:

1. Drive within your means.
2. Give up a position if being hounded by a reckless driver. You’ll pass them once they crash.
3. When struggling to pass a driver, stay close, but not too close and wait for a mistake.
4. When following two dicing cars, give them room to fight it out and don’t get caught in their crash.
5. Be consistent in your own lap times.

I’m rarely the fastest on track, however this strategy allows me to finish higher than my starting position, improves my safety rating, improves my techniques and keeps me coming back for more fun.

Quoting for my own sake, because I intuitively know these things, but forget them when I'm caught up in the moment. Excellent advice.

SpeedyMcQuick
01-11-2017, 15:38
Something I've personally done since Project Gotham Racing 2 (my first racing game, so many good memories) is after a race watch the replay from the chase view. You can critique all your driving and see how to improve, like apex, where to apex in some turns, brake points, racing line, all that stuff.

lawrencep93
21-11-2017, 04:57
I bought PC2 recently, and I noticed I am not very good at sim racing I have the logitech G27, just ABS and TCS on.

Should I drive with stability control on?

I tend to spin in a few corners here and there, but I think from the links by the OP I worked out that I let the back end get too light into corners or lift get on the accelerator too early. Don't seem to have too much of an issue with understeer it's more oversteer and spinning when I try to go fast.

What else would you recommend for a newbie trying to improve. Also should I stick to career mode and drop the AI difficulty?

Nyreen
21-11-2017, 11:26
If you spin through the corners while you're getting back on throttle, it can be both a diff problem and a roll-bar balance issue. (considering I don't exactly know when and what's happening with your car)

You shouldn't drive with stability enabled, but you should try the stable setup. It has more understeer, but helps you feel the car until you're confident with it to allow more response and trickier handling to go out and find those two secondes from your laptimes.

I don't know how the G27 works, but I know the game itself works on 1080° while my wheel is 900° (and I like it that way). Did you calibrate your wheel ? Maybe you've got too much steering input ?

lawrencep93
21-11-2017, 11:52
Thanks for the reply.

I found that a very light throttle input helped with out too much throttle and just been a little easier with the brakes easing them off then back onto squeezing the throttle is working better for me.

I am still fairly new, so I decided to just do career mode at 30 AI difficulty in the guietta jnr (very bottom left option when starting new) and I find the slower car and me trying to drive smoother worked, my first race I was a bit faster than the AI, but spun a twice and just beat them.

By my 4th race I managed to not spin, didn't drive super fast but consistent and I overtook the AI at 30 so I will bump it up next session.

I checked on of the fastest lap times I forgot the track name but the fastest lap time globally was 1:00:00 (rounded down) and I did a 1:05:00 so I am now about 5 seconds off the pace of the fastest dudes in the slower car around an easier track.

I think I just need more practice and will slowly move up to more powerful and faster cars that are less stable and see how I go with the spinning

Nyreen
21-11-2017, 12:53
The Ginetta is actually kind of tricky, you have to drive it like a kart and throw it into the corners. It's hard to train your trail-braking techniques since the back end is always loose (but it's faster that way).

You should also give a try to high downforce cars, the Radical SR3 is somewhat easy to drive without tuning recquirements. It's not "that" fast but as with every low horsepower vehicle, you can push your limits instead. Or at least I do.

And again, snap oversteer (aka spinning out at the exit) is caused by mid-corner understeer, because you have too much steering input, thus the car snaps when throttle+grip. Try the Radical. If you feel that same issue, loose the front anti-roll bar (by minus ten or twenty). Remember to straighten up your steering a little bit when getting back on the throttle, it won't make the car perfect.

You can also easily spin out with a tail-happy / unbalanced car if you take a bad racing line. I don't know how you drive, but try wide entry, so you can be a little more straight on the exit when getting back on throttle.

PostBox981
21-11-2017, 19:36
For the period of more than 20 years I always thought it´s the big fat cars that are fun. Man, I was so wrong. pCars (1) told me that it´s the slow cars being more fun than the supercars sometimes. I ran the Clio in career and loved it. Also give the BMW 2002 turbo a go, this car is somewhat tailhappy but it reacts relatively slow so you get more time to react to it. If you love FWD or AWD, also give the Audi A1 a try.

lawrencep93
21-11-2017, 20:03
The Ginetta is actually kind of tricky, you have to drive it like a kart and throw it into the corners. It's hard to train your trail-braking techniques since the back end is always loose (but it's faster that way).

You should also give a try to high downforce cars, the Radical SR3 is somewhat easy to drive without tuning recquirements. It's not "that" fast but as with every low horsepower vehicle, you can push your limits instead. Or at least I do.

And again, snap oversteer (aka spinning out at the exit) is caused by mid-corner understeer, because you have too much steering input, thus the car snaps when throttle+grip. Try the Radical. If you feel that same issue, loose the front anti-roll bar (by minus ten or twenty). Remember to straighten up your steering a little bit when getting back on the throttle, it won't make the car perfect.

You can also easily spin out with a tail-happy / unbalanced car if you take a bad racing line. I don't know how you drive, but try wide entry, so you can be a little more straight on the exit when getting back on throttle.

Awesome thanks, I have sorted out my spinning on exit now, it's just some slightly tricky corners where the braking zone isn't straight, and really really tight hair pins I am a little hopeless at in the Ginetta Jnr. I will keep going with Career when I get back from Abu Dabi (Going to watch the Formula 1 GP).

I do try to take a wide entry with late apex but don't always get my braking markers right so I got to work on really learning the track and sorting out my visual markers. I guess with Career I do go through a few tracks as I want to progress but the more famous tracks I would like to sit down and learn my points and the track really well. Once I do a few laps I know the turns and have a rough idea of apex's but need help on picking my optimum braking points

Herege
21-11-2017, 20:07
I bought PC2 recently, and I noticed I am not very good at sim racing I have the logitech G27, just ABS and TCS on.

Should I drive with stability control on?

I tend to spin in a few corners here and there, but I think from the links by the OP I worked out that I let the back end get too light into corners or lift get on the accelerator too early. Don't seem to have too much of an issue with understeer it's more oversteer and spinning when I try to go fast.

What else would you recommend for a newbie trying to improve. Also should I stick to career mode and drop the AI difficulty?

I have the G25, and is the same principles as G27. My personal advice, set the accelerator sensitivity to: 0 (zero), or stay here, or fine tune from here and try, the initial push is much more progressive which leads to drastically reducing this behavior. My is set to zero, and I like it for all kind of cars.

PostBox981
21-11-2017, 20:07
Enjoy yourself in Abu Dhabi. :yes:

ModoX
26-11-2017, 15:23
I'm pretty new to sims, only had my wheel for a couple of months, I'm on the Xbox. Started in the Ginetta Jrs and spent about 12 hours working my way through that series doing lots and lots of practice, struggling to get a handle on the car etc but got there. Moved to the Clio Cup after and it was a bit of a shift at first but given that they're pretty stable as long as you avoid that turn in understeer (which you can catch anyway), that went by pretty quickly. However I'm now in the Group As, driving the BMW (I tried the other two briefly as well), and I've spent two hours on track now in practice on Hockenheim, and I can barely string two fast laps together without spinning. When I do those laps are around 1:43-45 at the best, and I've gradually turned the AI down until it's now at 30 and pole still does 1:42s.

I'll work through the links provided by OP to try to keep improving, but I'm really stuck here. Any general tips for these Group As?

V3nom
26-11-2017, 15:36
What wheel do you use?

ModoX
26-11-2017, 16:14
Thrustmaster TMX, I haven't futzed with the settings at all other than to try out the different presets.

Edit: Hmm, I just jumped back on for another crack at it and noticed the setup is called 'loose', turns out there's also a 'stable' preset. It feels like a different car now! Still need to work on it a lot but I can get the power down now without losing the back end.

Maskmagog
26-11-2017, 17:45
I'm pretty new to sims, only had my wheel for a couple of months, I'm on the Xbox. Started in the Ginetta Jrs and spent about 12 hours working my way through that series doing lots and lots of practice, struggling to get a handle on the car etc but got there. Moved to the Clio Cup after and it was a bit of a shift at first but given that they're pretty stable as long as you avoid that turn in understeer (which you can catch anyway), that went by pretty quickly. However I'm now in the Group As, driving the BMW (I tried the other two briefly as well), and I've spent two hours on track now in practice on Hockenheim, and I can barely string two fast laps together without spinning. When I do those laps are around 1:43-45 at the best, and I've gradually turned the AI down until it's now at 30 and pole still does 1:42s.

I'll work through the links provided by OP to try to keep improving, but I'm really stuck here. Any general tips for these Group As?

I'm in the BMW, group A too at the moment. Also spinning a lot, and it's near impossible to catch it in the BMW (I'm on a controller). For qualification, I've often used wet tyres, even if it's dry, as that weirdly gives a lot better grip. It does overheat quickly though, so it seldom works in races (unless it's raining of course).
Try the Race Engineer. He can help with stuff like anti-roll bar, springs etc (greek to me, I'm no tuner). And I've had some success changing power ramp and coast ramp in Clutch LSD section (I think).

Otherwise see if you can load a ghost time, and study it to see where you can gain time.

A bit frustrating at times, but overall a fun car!

ModoX
26-11-2017, 17:57
Well good luck to you too! I'd recommend switching to that stable setup. I parked it 6th on the grid on Hockenheim and it was a wet race - only two spins through the whole race (that was late on when I was pushing for a fast lap for fun), and I finished three minutes ahead of second place. I'm obviously going to turn up the AI again, there seems an even larger than usual discrepancy between the qualifying and race times. It's odd because the top practice time barely changed between 55 AI and 30.

V3nom
26-11-2017, 18:02
The stable setup is automatically chosen as default if you use the controller. On a wheel it is the loose setup that is default.
Put the engine breaking at max, it will help with the spinning in the curves!
Also try reducing the turbo boost if possible(depends on the car).

Maskmagog
26-11-2017, 18:02
Thanks! Yes, AI is really slow in the rain. And wet tyres have really good grip. I think that the "imminent" patch will change that, and tweak AI overall.

V3nom
26-11-2017, 18:07
I must admit I stumbled apon the wet tires thing too. It gives you unbelievably more grip in the dry, at least until they get to hot. IMO this is in general a controller problem, I just got a wheel 2 days ago and it is so much easier to not spin. And if you lose control you can catch the car easier then on a controller. Plus the fun factor. :)
But it takes a couple of hours getting used to.

.db.
27-11-2017, 21:40
Attention mods! I just spent the last hour waiting for antivirus to remove "coinhive.min[1].js - JS:Miner-C [trj]" after clicking on the link in the first post to "DrivingFast.net".

I strongly suggest you look into that.

Konan
27-11-2017, 22:03
Attention mods! I just spent the last hour waiting for antivirus to remove "coinhive.min[1].js - JS:Miner-C [trj]" after clicking on the link in the first post to "DrivingFast.net".

I strongly suggest you look into that.

Thanks for the heads up...i removed it just to be on the safe side...

Ed3lm4n
08-12-2017, 21:09
Hello, I really need some extra (settings) help with PC2 (platform PC using Logitech G27). To give a little background: I started racing with Gran Turismo 2 and have been decent at racing games ever since. Because online racing felt more like destruction derby in most games, I was really looking forward to PC2. Mostly because it promised to be a realistic sim game (which I really think it is) and because of the online rating system. So far I've made it to level 'D1216' in about 35 races, which means I really try to avoid crashes but I never get a decent finishing position. Most of the times I end a race as one of the last ones to cross the finish line. In the beginning I was a crash victim almost every race, but now that my safety rating has gone up this has improved because I can participate in F+ races. However I'm really too slow in most racing classes. Especially in those that are often used in online races (like GT3). In fact I'm not slow at all in a race car, because I have the overall best times on 14 different circuits (when posting this) with the Jaguar XJR-9 (my favourite car in PC2, but unfortunately nobody races Group C cars online). Anyway it makes me I assume I know enough about racing lines. But when I switch to GT3 cars, I can barely keep up. At Monza the best I can get is a 1:50:011 with the Ferrari 488 in time trial. That's almost 5 seconds slower than the track record (and I used the record holders car shared setup). In online races I'm in the 1:52's, also 4 to 5 seconds too slow. I'm not afraid of some practice, but I can't get the feeling that I can go any faster in these cars. I'm either accelerating slow out of the corner compared to the ghost car (or online opponent) or I miss the breaking point and get off the track. I always use authentic driving aids, but previous games have learned that one bad setting can make a big difference. So I'm wondering if there's anything that can get me more at the top. When I continue like this I'll be below 1000 points pretty soon and I won't be able to compete in any interesting races so all the fun 'll be over. I've tried creating a Group C race at Spa a few times, but hardly anyone joins. And the Jaguar XJR-9 isn't the fastest Group C racer in the game, so even at my top it's no competition for other cars. So I really hope to find some tricks to get faster in GT3 (and other classes). Anything is welcome. Many thanks!

cpcdem
08-12-2017, 22:33
Here are some suggestions:

1. For the moment, better ignore the shared setups from TT, most of those setups were created before patch 3, which now has a different tire model and other changes, so the old setups do not apply (much) anymore. You can only use them to get some ideas, for example downforce levels, completely closing the radiator (for TT only), increasing the traction control number a bit maybe (so less intrusive control). Also the setups of those top people are made to suit those people, they will no suit me and you!

2. Also, especially for GT3s, ignore most of the top times themselves, too. The Ferrari and other cars became slower after patch 3, so you cannot really compare your times to those ones. Plus the top times are done by alien guys, don't target them for now, better target ghosts that are only 1-2 seconds faster than you. When you get 2 seconds faster yourself, target the next faster ones etc.

3. It's good that you have some top times yourself, but keep in mind that you registered times in tracks/car with very few other times logged (as few as 3-4 in some cases). Better do TTs in track/car combos with a lot more times registered, so you have better competition.

4. In my opinion, Monza is not the best track for practice to become a better driver, because most of the time you are just flat out in it anyway, also it's mostly about good exits, not so much about taking the corners well. Better first pick up a different track, like Barcelona, Hockenheim, Nurburgring or similar others, with plenty and different corners.

5. I followed your 488 ghost in Monza, I am not an expert myself, but I think I can give you some short advice: (I think you're doing well already, just need some improvements here and there) For the first corner, the braking point is at about the 150m sign, you brake too early. After the S, try to go faster on the gas, actually this advice applies to all corners in Monza, try to carry as much speed through the corners as possible and go back on the gas as early as possible, because if you don't, you are greatly penalized in the long straights. Also in the Variante Ascari (the triple-S before parabolica), you need to "straighten it up" as much as you can and go very early on the gas, soon after you enter it. Finally, in Parabolica, you are going too wide. You must brake, go very close to the curbs at the right and then quickly again on throttle and let the car slowly go wider and wider towards the exit curbs on the right.

But most basically, you just need to be patient and persistent, do more and more practice and the better lap times will come. Just make small steps at a time, so first target people that are 1-2 seconds faster than you, as I said earlier. Hope this helps!

Ed3lm4n
09-12-2017, 10:37
ok that's a lot of tips! I was hoping for 1 or 2 tips, but you really made a full analysis! I want to thank you, because it's very usefull. I'm sure I can make improvements with these tips. I spent the first month in PC2 trying to make top times in my favourite XJR-9 on every track and it made me think I really was getting good at PC2 in total, but it's such a versatile game that I really needed an objective look on my overall performance. That's exactly what you did so once again many thanks! Your help really makes me eager to give it another go!

cpcdem
09-12-2017, 12:25
You're very welcome! If you want, when you post more times in other circuits with the GT3s, let us know so I and/or others can give our thoughts on those, too.

BionicBacon
10-12-2017, 10:20
driver61 is an amazing youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbLA0YM6EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q

Most excellent!

Alfisti
21-12-2017, 17:45
I am forced to race Monza a lot because it seems it's the only track that gets a decent grid online.

Agree with much of what was written above but I will say that I have struggled to exit the triple S quickly, i never seem to have enough turn in to do it. Instead, I find i can brake very late into the first left and just throw the car in, get off the brake and cost to the right kerb, balance the car then power out. I do consistent 1.47's but on PC1 not 2.

Mattze
10-01-2018, 18:13
I'm searching for a guide for standing race starts. Less, how to get throught the first corner, but more, how to get a quick start. And the other thing I'm looking for is to drive with H-shifter and clutch. Especially, when do you downshift while braking. Thanks for your suggestions.

McKiernan
15-01-2018, 19:38
I'm searching for a guide for standing race starts. Less, how to get throught the first corner, but more, how to get a quick start. And the other thing I'm looking for is to drive with H-shifter and clutch. Especially, when do you downshift while braking. Thanks for your suggestions.

http://youtu.be/f6yAO1ziQ8o

julia-6
16-01-2018, 01:34
For some of us on consoles it's very difficult to find a time that's 1 or 2 seconds faster on GT3 because the leader board only synchs on the first two pages and sometimes three pages which are mostly GT1 cars. After the third page it won't synch anymore so we can't find a ghost unless we're really fast to begin with *sigh*. Also it's known that the LBs don't sort by car class on the consoles.

Jetsun
16-01-2018, 09:21
For some of us on consoles it's very difficult to find a time that's 1 or 2 seconds faster on GT3 because the leader board only synchs on the first two pages and sometimes three pages which are mostly GT1 cars. After the third page it won't synch anymore so we can't find a ghost unless we're really fast to begin with *sigh*. Also it's known that the LBs don't sort by car class on the consoles.

I don't know why it is so at all, if it's sony/microsoft limitations or what, what would be useful is the ability to also browse leaderboards page 10 by 10. Also may be they can implement a delta T instead of ghost, vs anyone on the leaderboard, like we already have vs our best/previous/potential lap, i don't know if it is technically doable on console but that would be really helpful, might be easy to implement on pc for those who don't like distractions on track or are afraid of ghosts :ghost: ...

cpcdem
16-01-2018, 13:10
Also may be they can implement a delta T instead of ghost, vs anyone on the leaderboard, like we already have vs our best/previous/potential lap, i don't know if it is technically doable on console but that would be really helpful, might be easy to implement on pc for those who don't like distractions on track or are afraid of ghosts :ghost: ...

Raceroom does that very very well, with a press of a button you can toggle showing/hiding the ghost car at will. Very often you want to follow a ghost car to see what lines it takes and where he is gaining time, but once you start getting close to it, it becomes more of a distraction, so it you don;t want to see it anymore (or for a while), you need to exit session and re-enter, and by doing that you lose your best session time delta info in the hud, until you log another one. It would be a lot of help to allow us to show/hide the ghost car within the same session.

Jetsun
16-01-2018, 14:09
Raceroom does that very very well, with a press of a button you can toggle showing/hiding the ghost car at will. Very often you want to follow a ghost car to see what lines it takes and where he is gaining time, but once you start getting close to it, it becomes more of a distraction, so it you don;t want to see it anymore (or for a while), you need to exit session and re-enter, and by doing that you lose your best session time delta info in the hud, until you log another one. It would be a lot of help to allow us to show/hide the ghost car within the same session.

sounds great!

DozUK
16-01-2018, 14:13

This is a very bad thing!

I have no idea why this is the case, I know it's been said it's a Sony/Microsoft limitation but I don't get that. It's all just a database with filters. I get the ghost data taking up extra space, but to not be able to filter a DB on Car or class I just don't get.

All the records are there on the board, it's not taking up any extra space. We just want to hide the ones that aren't appropriate to us.

You can filter these on friends, why not car? I'd like to view where I stand on that track in that car against others

cpcdem
16-01-2018, 14:49
I have no idea why this is the case, I know it's been said it's a Sony/Microsoft limitation but I don't get that. It's all just a database with filters. I get the ghost data taking up extra space, but to not be able to filter a DB on Car or class I just don't get.

I think game developers do not have direct access to the database, all they have is an interface to communicate with the leaderboard system and they are allowed to post times, retrieve them etc, but only via the programing interface, not directly. And while steam provides unlimited(?) amount of leaderboards per game, sony/ms do impose a limit. Not absolutely sure about all the above, but I had read about the Steam API and that's more or less the way it works, so I assume it's similar for PS/XBOX.

Mincepie10
16-01-2018, 15:50
Hi. First and foremost, I would like to point out that this isn't a complaint. I really enjoy PC2, which I just got after playing PC1 for about 6 months. But I am hopeless at PC2 and was wondering if anyone could explain what the differences between the two games are. Maybe then I can adjust what I am doing. I was doing okay at PC1 - not great but reasonably competitive with no assists and the slider at 75 or so. Even with the difficultly slider at 100, I was only a couple of seconds off the pace. But in PC2 I am 15 seconds off the pace even with the difficulty slider WAY down - and I mean WAY down. Is it the tyre-modelling? Does PC2 reward a different driving style? Is it more dependent on car set-ups? I have to admit to not really doing much in terms of setting up the cars as I don't really understand what I should be doing (there are years of YouTube videos to watch on this, so I must get off my backside. I also notice the tips YouTube videos posted above). The AI seems to be able to corner much faster than I can (at least without coming off the track) and brake later. As I said I am not complaining. It is GREAT to have such a big challenge. I'm just interested in what is behind the quantum shift in difficulty (or maybe it's just me). Is the difficulty level simply set "higher" as it were. I mean 100 on the old scale is only 50 on the new? Or is it just more "realistic"? It would be great to know people's thoughts.

PostBox981
16-01-2018, 15:57
AI in some classes is a bit inconsistent these days. Could well be you keep up with them easily on another track or in another car class. Go and try more variation first.

Alfisti
24-01-2018, 20:04
Hi. First and foremost, I would like to point out that this isn't a complaint. I really enjoy PC2, which I just got after playing PC1 for about 6 months. But I am hopeless at PC2 and was wondering if anyone could explain what the differences between the two games are. Maybe then I can adjust what I am doing. I was doing okay at PC1 - not great but reasonably competitive with no assists and the slider at 75 or so. Even with the difficultly slider at 100, I was only a couple of seconds off the pace. But in PC2 I am 15 seconds off the pace even with the difficulty slider WAY down - and I mean WAY down. Is it the tyre-modelling? Does PC2 reward a different driving style? Is it more dependent on car set-ups? I have to admit to not really doing much in terms of setting up the cars as I don't really understand what I should be doing (there are years of YouTube videos to watch on this, so I must get off my backside. I also notice the tips YouTube videos posted above). The AI seems to be able to corner much faster than I can (at least without coming off the track) and brake later. As I said I am not complaining. It is GREAT to have such a big challenge. I'm just interested in what is behind the quantum shift in difficulty (or maybe it's just me). Is the difficulty level simply set "higher" as it were. I mean 100 on the old scale is only 50 on the new? Or is it just more "realistic"? It would be great to know people's thoughts.

This was me, to the word.

Playing with engine braking REALLY helped to say the least.

leeroy98
31-01-2018, 22:38
@Mincepie10 Have you changed any of the gameplay setting?? If not check that steering and braking assists are turned off

Jetsun
06-02-2018, 00:32
Sounds like a great one to improve breaking: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16021

davekojo
01-03-2018, 03:52
Belador you should update first post with Driver University. Unfortunately I don't have time to see if its already linked atm. The main youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbLA0YM6EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q There's the driver university playlist. There are track guides and just some real world analysis i think mostly from F1.

ModoX
27-03-2018, 22:21
I have a question for those more experienced than me - I've been working my way through the open wheel series in career mode and have been struggling throughout, I've had to switch to the stable setup to keep it on the track as much as possible. I'm definitely getting better, but I just finished going through Formula X and there in particular I had a lot of wheelspin when accelerating. Coming out of a corner, even in a straight line, my car could easily spin out on me with no warning. Typically it would happen on a gear change, even from third to fourth sometimes. The starts were a nightmare as I usually lost at least three places because I couldn't put my foot down - if I just accelerated hard at the lights, my wheels would spin while I hit the rev limiter in first for a second or two, and my car would turn wildly and spin me around.

I figured I just needed to practice but I watched a YouTube video tonight of someone playing Formula X, they just held their foot down and the car went in a straight line with minimal wheelspin. What am I doing wrong? I'm on a wheel with automatic gears and only using the default setups.

PostBox981
28-03-2018, 06:09
I have a question for those more experienced than me - I've been working my way through the open wheel series in career mode and have been struggling throughout, I've had to switch to the stable setup to keep it on the track as much as possible. I'm definitely getting better, but I just finished going through Formula X and there in particular I had a lot of wheelspin when accelerating. Coming out of a corner, even in a straight line, my car could easily spin out on me with no warning. Typically it would happen on a gear change, even from third to fourth sometimes. The starts were a nightmare as I usually lost at least three places because I couldn't put my foot down - if I just accelerated hard at the lights, my wheels would spin while I hit the rev limiter in first for a second or two, and my car would turn wildly and spin me around.

I figured I just needed to practice but I watched a YouTube video tonight of someone playing Formula X, they just held their foot down and the car went in a straight line with minimal wheelspin. What am I doing wrong? I'm on a wheel with automatic gears and only using the default setups.

Maybe that guy on YouTube was running with traction control on? There´s a few more cars than only the Formula X where you have to be very careful with the throttle, mostly the old turbo monsters like the Porsche 917/10 or the Lotus 98.

ModoX
28-03-2018, 06:23
Yeah I never even thought about that to be honest, I just have aids set to the realistic ones. It seems crazy though that I can't get a good start at all, always losing places. If I go more gentle on the throttle the other guys are much faster than me, if I go hrader then I risk spinning and at least a couple of cars go past me as I sit at the rev limiter between first and second gear. Is it maybe to do with me using automatic gears? Or just a setup issue?

PostBox981
28-03-2018, 06:58
I *think* it´s a matter of how much throttle you apply. I know that car is critical with all it´s power. Don´t think it´s about automatic gears. Setup may bring a little more grip to the rear but you sound more like *way too much* power so I´d suggest to either give traction control a try or practice practice practice. Maybe both of it. Go for a private practice session and try some long runs to get more feeling for the engine´s behaviour, start very easy on the throttle. After a while you will learn to know when you are coming to the point where the wheels will spin again and you will automatically be prepared to lift throttle a little to avoid wild behaviour. It takes some time and you have to be patient with it.

That´s about all I can recommend you to do, I am not a setup expert.

ModoX
28-03-2018, 10:46
Cheers, appreciate the help. I might need to mess with my FFB settings as I'm maybe not getting the feedback that I'm losing grip enough - the FX car has made me realise I'm relying mainly on visuals and sound to know I need to catch an emerging slide.

In terms of racing, I was improving a lot driving it fast without sliding - I was sliding it regularly but I know I'm just an inconsistent driver still at this point. The starts I feel like I've tried every degree of pressure on my right foot, and if there's a sweet spot between grip-but-slow and quick-but-spinning then it's really difficult to find! Keep practicing I guess...

BionicBacon
29-03-2018, 00:31
I had a lot of trouble with this game from the start. I changed the aids in the gameplay menu to ABS on, STC off, and TC to high. Then in car setup menu I cranked the TC until the car(s) became more stable and easier to control and drive. As I gradually got used to the sensitivity of each car, I started to bring the TC down. But honestly, only in the most hardcore of leagues do they restrict TC, so I recommend using it as much as you need. Same goes for ABS - I turn it down a fair bit because the braking is better without. The other thing in the setup menu I recommend tinkering with is the preload on the clutch. Increasing it will help with some of the power oversteer issues you are having.

EDIT: Just realized that those settings were suggested to me months ago and didn't work well as TC high slowed the car too much, iirc. Went back to authentic/real which I believe sets the TC and ABS low, STC off. I do run TC fairly high, though; 60-90% depending on which car, except the Stock Car.

By the way, I just set the 14th fastest time in the world yesterday in the FX car at Bathurst (PS4). Three of my mates have the top 3 times, and the top guy with the WR is also faster than the times guys have on the PC version (1:34:908). If you're on PS4, I recommend going into Time Trial, select Bathurst and the FX car, then choosing a ghost of any of the top 30 drivers and trying out the setup. Do this with any car and track combo. Generally, I find the top 5 driver's setups to still be difficult to drive. If you can, try mine. It's setup to be sticky and to defeat understeer/oversteer as much as possible. My time at Bathurst is 1:39:542, which would be 13th fastest on the PC version. It's a super fun car once you get control of it and master the use of KERS. If you're not on PS4, and you want to check out my tuning setup, just let me know here and I'll screenshot it and post it. Likely in the garage/car setup section of the forum.

Have you checked out the Insider's Guide to PC2? Here's the YouTube link. Fantastic series. Especially the tuning vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0AXIBzN2w&list=PLwngKHZDy-rqLXf6oeOQ6O1rOrGfc2LNT&index=18

ModoX
29-03-2018, 07:46
I'm on Xbox sorry, but thanks for the tips. I'll definitely get on the time trial section and look at some setups. to be honest I'm not sure I realised you could download other people's setups that way. I haven't paid too much attention to the time trial section due to the daft leaderboard limitations on console.

Will watch that YouTube series too, looks great :)

Update: I watched the video on force feedback settings over lunch, really helped my understanding and I'm looking forward to getting on and mucking about to make sure I have the feedback I need on tire slip. I spent an hour restarting FX on Long Beach the other night trying not to bin it on every corner, so that should be a good testing ground!

Anukpaquito
16-04-2018, 10:12
Fantastic series!!!

lottalava
22-04-2018, 12:33
The biggest problem to me is to best apex a curve once I use gamepad its not so precise as a steering wheel or any millimeter at the gamepad makes a lot of difference to lost the car! I need to practice many times to master the track.

jacksonn5
07-05-2018, 15:15
Thanks for the tips

specialkone
23-06-2018, 20:02
Can you guys help me with my (lack of) driving skills, specifically at Lemans 24H.I don’t want to adjust the stable setup. My assumption is a decent driver should be able to easily defeat the default AI with the stable setup.
I’m driving the Mercedes CLK LM as I find it quite stable and noticed it is one of the top cars/time on the Lemans 24H leaderboard.

I need 3.48 lap times to beat the default AI and at my current limits I run 3.52 (see video). First set of corners and the set of S corners are particularly brutal for me. AI bangs into me at times. I watch videos/time trials but not sure those are the stable default setups. I see a 3.41 on the leaderboard with a default setup and this car so I’m obviously making about 11 seconds of mistakes. Could any of you good drivers at least post a video of the Mercedes CLK LM with the stable setup and cockpit view?

http://youtu.be/a1naa8tfb7M

wabi
25-06-2018, 09:21
I'm not the fastest guy, but a few insights:
- when you are approaching the first chicane before Dunlop bridge, you brake too hard a then you need again accelerate before you reach the left corner of the chicane - you are loosing time
- in many corners you turn in too early (both chicanes on the Hunadieres) - try to follow driving line arrows
- in many corners you turn too tight (Tertre Rouge, when leaving both chicanes on the Hunadieres, Mulsanne, Indianapolis, Arnage) and on the corner exit you do not use the full width of the track - tighter cornering means low speed and the loss of time - again try to follow arrows
- in Karting-S you were to fast and before Corvette curve you were too on the left side, which means you have to brake more than necessary and in Corvette you are slower
- while entering first of the Porsche esses, you are too wide and then in the corner you are too tight=slower

cpcdem
25-06-2018, 10:39
In addition to what @wabi said, since you're on PC, why don't you follow some of the ghosts in TT mode, to see where they are gaining time on you? There are 2 entries done on default with a lap time of 3.41, also two around 3.43 and another two at 3.45, you might prefer the latter yet and go step by step to the faster ones. Yes, maybe they are not done on stable setup, but on loose instead, but those should not be too different one to the other.

I am not familiar with this car to really judge, but I suspect in most case it will that the ghost cars have faster exiting speeds from corners, so gain much time down the long straights after them. I see you get some of the corners at the limiter for example, while I think you could probably have already upshifted and gain more speed while cornering. But following the ghosts will make this obvious if this is the case, that's the beauty of TT, that you can see directly exactly where you need to improve and by how much.

wabi
25-06-2018, 11:54
@cpcdem is right. Following ghosts in TT is really good way, how to find, where you are slower. But with such a long circuit, do not load fastest ghost immediately. You are slower by 11 sec, this means you will loose them in first or second corner. You have to go step by step. First load ghost 1-2 sec faster than you. When you will be able to reach his time, load next 1-2 sec faster. In TT tables you can see, which time is with default setup, which is with custom setup, which is with steering wheel and which (those are really ALIENS) used controller.

Just one addition, usable on almost every track: watch, where are wide curbs (white-red stripped, somewhere white-blue) on corner etries or exits. Usually they are on places, where is highly possible to touch or run over track margins. On this places, of course according to your driving style, you should use full width of the track. Nordschleife, is really good example, although there are pavements instead of curbs on many places. They are really good guide, because they are made on places, where many drivers usually crossed track margins. If you are on this places far from track margins, you have to move :cool:

Upgrade nr.2:
...somewhere white-blue) on corner etries or exits. ...: some tracks have theese enlarged on the inner side in the middle of the corner, which help you to find, where your trajectory should touch the inner side. Good example is in Oschersleben the exit from second curve called Hotel (the grand right circle) to the straight to Hasseröder.

gregc
25-06-2018, 12:17
Can you guys help me with my (lack of) driving skills, specifically at Lemans 24H.I don’t want to adjust the stable setup. My assumption is a decent driver should be able to easily defeat the default AI with the stable setup.
I’m driving the Mercedes CLK LM as I find it quite stable and noticed it is one of the top cars/time on the Lemans 24H leaderboard.

I need 3.48 lap times to beat the default AI and at my current limits I run 3.52 (see video). First set of corners and the set of S corners are particularly brutal for me. AI bangs into me at times. I watch videos/time trials but not sure those are the stable default setups. I see a 3.41 on the leaderboard with a default setup and this car so I’m obviously making about 11 seconds of mistakes. Could any of you good drivers at least post a video of the Mercedes CLK LM with the stable setup and cockpit view?

http://youtu.be/a1naa8tfb7M

I actually did a quick run in TT when I saw this post yesterday, then went out for the day and clean forgot to actually reply to the thread :rolleyes:

To add to what's already been posted I'd also say (this part only relevant if using a gamepad) that the speed sensitivity is (IMO) quite a way off on this car - I had to turn it down to 75 to make it driveable for me (for reference, I normally run with default pad settings and this is the first car I've found where I needed to change anything). Like I say, only relevant if playing with a pad.

Secondly, the Stable setup is very understeery - I'd genuinely suggest you at least give the Loose setup a try.

With that said, as mentioned I did a run in TT, on default Stable, that I'd describe as conservative at best and got a 3:48.6 which is in the ballpark of what you're looking for - I can put a video up later if you like, but in the meantime my ghost is there on the PC version if you want to use that as a starting point.

specialkone
25-06-2018, 22:15
Thanks so much to wabi, cpcdem and gregc for taking the time to (likely painfully) watch that video and comment to help me out.

Wabi, re your first post, yes I’m sure you are right with all those comments. I’m trying to follow the driving line exactly. When I’m not it is because I’m obviously out of control or as you said either braking too hard and then having to accelerate too quickly afterwards. This often results in oversteer for me and I just spin out when accelerating half way through a corner.

What’s not clear to me (not just this track) is what speed/gear I should be carrying through the corners. Should I be braking half way through or just rolling into the corners braking before the turn? On a track like this I keep hearing in slow and accelerate out as early as possible to gain top speed on the straights.

I’m constantly out of control and it shouldn’t be like this. Good driving is about fast and in control laps. I see videos of this track (not this car) and guys are chatting while racing and achieving impressive lap times consistently. Of course they aren’t using default setups but I don’t think I should move from default stable/loose until I can drive better.

CPcdem, I’ve tried time trials/ghosts. As you mentioned, I can’t load the 3.41 as that guy is miles ahead of me and I don’t learn a thing. If I load a 3.48, yes it shows me where I am slower but I can’t figure out from any of the TT’s what I doing wrong. Also, when I’m close to a ghost I find it distracting and lose my focus. But if you guys are saying TT’s help I will keep trying.
I am obviously not understanding when and how much to brake/accelerate and what speed/gear I need to achieve in each corner. I also don’t think the coding on the driving lines could be complex enough to help my lack of skills. I think red is just telling me I going to fast and green too slow.

I’m still thinking a good way to try and improve is to look at videos of cockpit view and pause them as you reach each corner and through the corners to see your speeds and gears. But even with that I have to guess at when you brake, how hard and when you’re off the brake and on the gas and if there is any trail braking going on. But I should be able to figure out some of that myself. So yes gregc, if you and anyone else could post a cockpit view video it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to suggest a “better” handling car to improve my skills on this track that’s fine but I prefer to stay with same or similar class or GT3.

Thanks very much to all. Some fine members this board has.

cpcdem
25-06-2018, 22:39
I agree, the ghost car can become distracting, so if you want you can use it just to see the lines and where he gains time and then try again without the ghost (I wish the devs add an option to show/hide the ghost car without needing to exit to main menu and restart TT).

Another thing that I think is distracting, is the racing line. I suggest to get rid of it, it will be difficult at first, but later you will see that without it you can "see" the track better and it will train yourself to watch where you should (apexex and corner exists), instead of down on the road, where the racing line is displaying.

About using another car to improve your skills, in my opinion it's always better to use slow cars, because they will teach you how to do good lines, use correctly all the width of the track etc. If you do not want very slow cars, maybe you can try the BMW touring car, which still has good speed and it gives a challenge to drive, but it is not as fast as the monsters you're currently driving. Also I would suggest another track, because in LeMans most of the time you are just in full throttle, and for 50% of the time you drive it, you learn absolutely nothing(since you're just cruising). But then again, most important thing is that you enjoy your time, so if it is the CLK at LeMans that you enjoy most, then ignore me and use just that! :)

Finally, how about you complete a few laps yourself under TT, the fastest you can, then we can follow your own car instead and come p with suggestions where and how we think you can gain time. Just tell us your steam name, so we can pick your ghost.

gregc
25-06-2018, 23:09
Here you go - it's not an especially great lap, but more or less the time you're after:

http://youtu.be/nrFugDAD30Y

wabi
25-06-2018, 23:49
I’m constantly out of control and it shouldn’t be like this.
This is good point to start. I know this feeling. Man think that it should be better, but does not feel the car right.
To improve your driving skills (and lap times) you have to gain self confidence and have the car under control. My experience says, that this is possible only by driving around the track again, again, again ...
Of course there are many other issues - good ffb settings (to feel the car), right field of view, right position for pedals control - they can help you to be faster. But you have to be self confident on the track with your car.
You can read driving advices, watch driving lessons, permanently repeat their advices in your head. But until you are confident, they are just a mess. You permanently think about them and do not fully concentrate to driving. You always repeat for yourself: do not trail braking, until you know, how and why; slow in - fast out is better; do not engine braking, but brake first, then downshift; use full width of the track; do not miss braking point, but do not brake too hard .... and every time you break any of them (and you will many times) you are loosing self confidence and are more and more frustrated.
I remember when I tried to gain good lap time to qualify to my first online league - it was with Cayman Clubsport on Knockhill circuit. When I started, I was 7 seconds behind the bests and 3 seconds behind the lasts. And then I was going round and round, again and again to find limits of each corner. Trying different driving lines on every straight, changing braking points. After 30 or 40 laps I was in the first third of the field, not the fastest one, but not between slowest. With every lap I was more self confident.
To do something like that with CLK at Le Mans will be very very time consuming, because lap time is 3 or 4 times longer than on other circuits. But if you feel to be out of control in many parts of the circuit, this is the way. You can try it with some slower car at different circuit.
So final advice (although I am the last who should give advices :cool: ) is - jump in the car, switch off assistance (yes, I know, that I recommended to follow driving line arrows, but this time will come later ... or maybe won't, because you won't need it anymore), and go ... and do not forget to enjoy your ride ;)
As one good man from this forum wrote, this is not real life racing, this is SIMracing. If you fly out and hit barriers, just push restart button, go again and try it in a different way.

specialkone
26-06-2018, 19:38
I looked at gregc’s video a few times. That seemed to help. Here is my TT run:
Sector 1 Sector 2 Sector 3 Total
Gregc 1.20.260 1.41.420 0.46.920 3.48.600
Me 1.20.618 1.41.199 0.48.439 3.50.256

http://youtu.be/-VtIOCO2nBE

The final sector is killing me, the s turns and the last two turns. There’s the 2 seconds.

Cpcdem, my name on the leaderboard is also specialkone. If you sort by track and vehicle I’m 49th on the list.

I love this track. I sometimes run 35 minutes and 30X, day to night and day again. Beautifully done by SMS. Trouble is, often by the end of the second lap, I’m cruising by myself in the back. For the number of times I’ve run this track/car, I think I should be in the 3.45 range, consistently. Don’t know if I’ll be able to get there.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

cpcdem
26-06-2018, 21:28
OK, I've had a look, you are already doing great, from now on it's practice, practice and more practice to go even faster, step by step.

In my opinion it's now basically all about braking later and less, carrying more speed through the corners and getting back on throttle faster after turning, or actually even while turning. Check your video, you will see than in many corners you are not using the whole width of the track while cornering, this means that you are taking the corner with less speed than you could have. Problem is, that learning to do that with such a very fast car is very difficult, that's why I suggested using much slower cars first. Also I insist it is better to hide the driving line, so you can concentrate on the corners, not on the line. You already know the track well, you do not need the line anymore.

Try following ghosts again, so you can instantly see if you have taken a corner fast enough, or you could carry more speed through it, which is very important in this track, because of the very long straights ahead. I know that most ghosts just disappear, so if you want try my ghost, I did a time just one place ahead of you, was trying to go fast through the corners, but slowed down in the straights. I made some big mistakes as well, they are too obvious, so avoid them :). Do some practice, and when you start beating my ghost too easily, pick another ghost who is faster, or tell me and I will do a faster time but still close to you. Until you go too fast and I cannot beat you anymore, so you'll need to use one of the fastest lap times in the leaderboards to compare yourself against.

gregc
26-06-2018, 21:45
Glad the vid helped a bit specialkone, it's all about making small improvements with each lap - just to add to cpcdem's comments, if I were in your position I'd now be focusing on maintaining speed in the first two sectors and improving the last - that's where you have the most to gain right now.

I also agree with cpcdem's comment on the driving line - it's intimidating at first, but it's one of those things where you spend more time trying to follow the line than you do understanding the actual track. Learning the track itself will gain you more in the long run than following the line.

Note to self - must put in a better lap :D

specialkone
27-06-2018, 06:26
Yes I’ve definitely noticed one of my big issues (not only this track/car) is carrying the correct speed through the corners and out, often evidenced by a more narrow drive through and corner exit. I will try your ghost, cpcdem, so thanks for that. And yes, gregc, will work on that last sector. I have tried removing the corner driving lines on tracks I am familiar with. Never saw that improving my lap times. But with you guys so insistent upon it I will give it more time.

Thanks again.

hkraft300
27-06-2018, 07:48
My advice is don't follow the driving line assist. Turn it off. You're better off following ghost laps and watching YT videos. In GregC's vid, for example, pause at his brake point, make a note of where he's braking. Pause again at the turn in point: notice at which part of the track, where his car is positioned, how much brake he's applying. Check his corner speeds. Do this at the sectors you're losing time.

We start off slow, then we push to the point where the car feels out of control. That's where we plateau our lap times at our skill level. We're on the limit of our abilities. Trying to push more, feeling out of control, you're only making the same mistakes. To go beyond, you need to slow again, analyse your weaknesses, then build your speed up again. You'll find you're going faster yet. Your confidence increases, you start to push more until the car feels out of control and lap times plateau. Rinse, repeat.

cpcdem
27-06-2018, 12:34
Yeah, removing the driving line does not give you an instant speed boost, on the contrary it will be slower at first, until you get used to driving without it. But it will teach your eye to focus on apexes and exits, as time goes by you will be seeing them earlier than you used to so it will help a lot in the long term.

wozza-m
28-06-2018, 11:01
I would echo the advice from others to turn the driving lines off. It will benefit you in the long run to identify features on the track as reference points to start braking, like the 150, 100 metre boards. By using a static track feature you can adjust your braking zone earlier or later depending on whether you enter the corner too fast or too slow. This is useful when your car is fat with fuel or worn tyres, if you are doing a long run at Le Man, or if it rains. By the sounds of it, you maybe outgrowing the need for driving lines... so time to take the training wheels off. :)

You also mention carrying the correct speed through the corners... it might be worth concentrating more about the correct gear for each corner. In my opinion using the correct gear should get you in the ball park for the correct corner speed and adjust the speed from there. Although I may have misunderstood your meaning. :)

With regards to the race... although you can make places up, you cannot win the race in the first corners. Take it easy and pick the AI off down the many long straights. If possible, gear the car so you have enough head room to slipstream/draft the car in front down the longest straight without red lining until you reach the braking zone. Apologies this is teaching you to suck eggs. :)

PostBox981
28-06-2018, 19:17
You also mention carrying the correct speed through the corners... it might be worth concentrating more about the correct gear for each corner. In my opinion using the correct gear should get you in the ball park for the correct corner speed and adjust the speed from there. Although I may have misunderstood your meaning. :)

This is why I am on manual gears for ages now, the gear gives me an idea of the correct speed. In automatic mode I am completely lost. :)

specialkone
28-06-2018, 22:08
Well I’m running this track without the driving line now given I’ve run so many laps on it. So the driving line is not my issue now. I think the issues are what Cpcdem mentioned here:

“In my opinion it's now basically all about braking later and less, carrying more speed through the corners and getting back on throttle faster after turning, or actually even while turning. You are not using the whole width of the track while cornering, this means that you are taking the corner with less speed than you could have.”

I tried to follow cpcdem’s ghost he put up at 3.49.9. From the first turn after the start and on all turns leading up to the first straight, he’s a mile ahead of me. Once he slows on the straight for me to catch up what I learn is I can keep up with him in the two turns after the two long straights, and nowhere else. So every turn other than those two are my issues. Honestly, I find trying to follow a ghost completely useless in improving your driving skills. All it does is show you where the ghost is compared to you. Ya, well I already know the ghost is faster through the turns. The issue is handling the corners properly. Not going to get the answers to that from the ghost system, since where the ghost is handling the corners properly, he is miles ahead of me.

Being in the right gear in the turns really means being at the right speed. I see most guys through the s turns are in 5th or even 6th or at least in 6th before the next turn. I’m in 4th then 5th because I’m not carrying enough speed. I’ve looked closely at Yorkie’s hot lap with the Porsche 919 Hybrid. LOL, he’s often two gears higher than me in the turns. If I try for those gears/speeds I’m off the track.

There are a number of tracks where I beat the default AI easily, Watkins Glen, etc. But I like track with high speeds and high speed straights. Because of my poor cornering skills, sadly those are the tracks I pay the biggest price in lap times.

Wish SMS would come out with a “stock car” sim with all the Nascar tracks. Evidenced by the historic Lemans track, SMS knows how to code the draft effect better than any Nascar “sim” out there. Close, tight racing with mainly left, flowing curves is a better match to my lesser skill sets, and many others I know. I think it would sell very well.

cpcdem
28-06-2018, 22:56
Problem is this is a very long track, so it is indeed very tricky to learn from a ghost. Also it is very difficult to learn some corners, because for example in order to learn corners in sector 3, you need to pass at least 2 minutes through the first 2 sectors, including being completely full throttle for a long time. So my main idea was that you'd concentrate on the first 5-6 corners only, till the first straight, and if you learn to go faster there, it will help you everywhere else, too. And indeed I had noticed you were going fast through the 2 chikanes, holding on to some throttle while cornering and maintaining good speed for the straights ahead, so using the same principle you should go much faster also in the first corners, with more practice.

Also I still think you'd make your life a lot easier by using a much slower car first. With a slow car you will be able to move the car better across the track, position it better and practice on using the whole width of the track, while maintaining speed. Once you've mastered this, you can move to faster cars and I think it will feel a lot easier now.

stickmaster62
29-06-2018, 16:20
This entire thread (OP and discussion as well) is very informative and helpful! Many thanks to all of you!

specialkone
06-07-2018, 07:01
Well I’m not quite keeping up to you in the critical corners but at least I’m now close enough on the entire lap to see what you’re doing. The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.

I’m now just about keeping up with the default AI with this car/track combination. Thanks for that cpcdem.

cpcdem
06-07-2018, 14:53
Well I’m not quite keeping up to you in the critical corners but at least I’m now close enough on the entire lap to see what you’re doing. The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.

I’m now just about keeping up with the default AI with this car/track combination. Thanks for that cpcdem.

Hey, great to see your progress, glad we could help a little bit! Yeah, it's a step by step process, you gain time little by little, until some time you looks back and suddenly realize you're several seconds faster than when you started! Good thing is now you have plenty of ghost cars in default setup that are just a couple seconds in front of you, so you can chose any of them to see how they are doing. I will also follow your ghost and give you suggestions maybe, will also try to do a slightly faster time.

Btw, another thing that I think helps a lot is to bring the monitor as close to you as possible and use a FOV as close as you can to the realistic one. This way the corners come to you in a more natural way and you feel you have more time to respond to them, prepare your line, better judge the braking point etc. I think that it helped me a lot when I started using a FOV of 50 for my 23'' monitor in about 70 cm in front of me, but I want to buy a larger ultrawide monitor and further decrease the FOX setting.

specialkone
06-07-2018, 16:15
Btw, another thing that I think helps a lot is to bring the monitor as close to you as possible and use a FOV as close as you can to the realistic one. This way the corners come to you in a more natural way and you feel you have more time to respond to them, prepare your line, better judge the braking point etc. I think that it helped me a lot when I started using a FOV of 50 for my 23'' monitor in about 70 cm in front of me, but I want to buy a larger ultrawide monitor and further decrease the FOX setting.

Yes, I agree the correct FOV gives you a much better picture of the track/corners. I can’t change where my 27 inch monitor is, which is about 30 inches (76 CM) away. That gives me an FOV of 48 which I was using for the 1.49 run.
The game defaults me to a 75 FOV. Problem is I absolutely hate that “correct” FOV adjustment which in cockpit view makes me lose any view of the dash and side mirrors. I also love seeing the hand going down to shift gears in the Ferrari 512 and Porsche 917 from the Lemans DLC which I can’t see with a 48 FOV. Even at a 75 FOV I can’t see the side mirrors on an Indy car. At 48 the cockpit view of an Indy car is not a cockpit view at all. All I see is the nose of the car.

Your help is much appreciated.

cpcdem
06-07-2018, 16:31
You're welcome and I agree, it s***s that a correct FOV limits visibility so much, but we can't have it all, after all in a real car we do not see the dash without moving our head or lower our eyes too much...For this reason I want to get an ultrawide, maybe even triples at some point.

cpcdem
08-07-2018, 03:36
The last corner (in the first set of corners) leading to the first straight is killing me. I’m either way too fast or way too slow.

I followed your ghost car, I think it's much better than before. Some suggestions:

- The fist right hander is a full throttle one, you must not brake before it, but keep the speed going instead. I know, it is difficult to brake for the next corner this way, but try to learn it. After the right hander is done, keep turning a bit to the right so you get a good line for the next turn and start applying braking, but not full, because this will destabilize the car. Full brake when you do have your wheel almost straight.
- For the second part of the chicane, do not take it directly (in almost a straight line) apex to apex, because this way if you carry much speed, you will get out of track at the exit, this is why you are forced to brake there as well. Instead, take the first part wider at the right, turn later and more sharply, this will take you at the left part of the road for the second part of the chicane. Turn again later and more sharply right and you will be able to carry much more speed, without braking at all in the middle of the chicane.
- At the end of the esses, in the last left handler, you are losing speed because at least the time you registered this ghost, you went very wide. Try to hit the apex on the left (just off the kerbs) while not braking that much and you will gain enough time there.
- For the last right hander, I think again you need to brake and turn just a little later and sharper, and go back on throttle as fast as possible. This is very important, due to the long straight ahead, so there's lot of time to be gained there.

I know, its all a lot easier said than done, especially with such a monster car! But if you'd like to further improve, try to work on those areas, step by step, giving it plenty of time and practice. If you learn to nail those corners, it wil help you greatly for the rest of the track, too.

specialkone
08-07-2018, 07:20
OK, thanks cpcdem. I'll work with those suggestions. Lately, I'm just running off the track trying to improve my time in time trial. I'll let you know if/when I can run consistent, improved lap times.

Again, thanks for your time on this.

specialkone
12-07-2018, 19:30
From the PC leaderboards, that 13th place (3.48.041 time) is less embarrassing. Perhaps with more practice I’ll be able to move towards gregc’s time. At least thanks to you, cpcdem, I now know where I’m going wrong. Buy yeah, properly executing is easier said than done. But now I can beat the default AI, which was my main objective.

Steam of course knows what you are playing. I’m thinking they must be seeing some of my PCars 2 practice laps. Now they are recommending for my next purchase something called Wreckfest. LOL, no thanks.

As an aside, SMS you just received another very important award for Project Cars 2. I have well over 50 Steam/EA games, including all COD, Battlefield games, FFXV, F1 2017, Doom, Far Cry 5, etc. Did they receive this coveted award, no, and that’s because they only have 10% or less of the time played compared to PCars 2. Still having a blast with PCars 2 and so much yet to be explored. So only Project Cars 2 got moved to my SSD. You now sit there alone with Windows 10 and Office. Congrats. Some of the fine, helpful forum members and of course the fine knowledgeable mods deserve an award too. Much thanks.

cpcdem
12-07-2018, 20:33
Hey, glad to see your progress! Yeah, that 1 second ahead in LeMans is just a better corner exit in 2-3 turns and there you have greg's time! It just needs patience in practicing more and more and I am sure it helps a lot looking back just 3 weeks ago when you thought you were going the fastest possible and now you're already 4 seconds faster! I think we've (more or less) all been through that process :)

gregc
12-07-2018, 22:55
Good to see you making progress specialkone, I've moved on to other challenges (currently mildly obsessed with Group C at Bathurst & the Nordshcleife) but still keeping an eye on the thread, and enjoying seeing you move forward with cpcdem's help :D

specialkone
12-07-2018, 23:54
Good to see you making progress specialkone, I've moved on to other challenges (currently mildly obsessed with Group C at Bathurst & the Nordshcleife) but still keeping an eye on the thread, and enjoying seeing you move forward with cpcdem's help :D

And your help as well gregc. Your original (slowed down for you) 3.48.6 lap was one of my initial inspirations.

specialkone
16-07-2018, 06:22
So I figured I should start selecting cars that are actually meant to run at a specific track. My first default AI race at Lemans 24H (3 laps) in the Toyota TSO050. Man, this car handles the corners (especially the s corners) beautifully. I’m not use to this car but thanks to the fine members on this forum helping me out with this track, my first attempt is a win. Without that help, I’d likely be running 3.40’s with this car, not 3.28.

cpcdem
16-07-2018, 06:39
So I figured I should start selecting cars that are actually meant to run at a specific track. My first default AI race at Lemans 24H (3 laps) in the Toyota TSO050. Man, this car handles the corners (especially the s corners) beautifully. I’m not use to this car but thanks to the fine members on this forum helping me out with this track, my first attempt is a win. Without that help, I’d likely be running 3.40’s with this car, not 3.28.

Well, you started with an extremely difficult car (which I think was still meant to be used at that track though), so now that you used a car with much more downforce which you can place on the track where you want a lot more easily, it all looked a lot easier :). Well done!

specialkone
16-07-2018, 07:04
Well, you started with an extremely difficult car (which I think was still meant to be used at that track though), so now that you used a car with much more downforce which you can place on the track where you want a lot more easily, it all looked a lot easier :). Well done!

Yeah, I guess that should be not meant to be used by ME at Lemans. ;). I do like that Mercedes CLK at Bannochbrae. Seems to handle quite easily at that track compared to Lemans which I assume is because less downforce is needed at Bannochbrae with all the corners.

http://youtu.be/U-VG86u7tw0

specialkone
10-08-2018, 06:17
Running the Formula Renault at Barcelona. Man, I like the sound of that car.

Using stable setup. What’s going on with the left front tire starting from lap 3? Bad braking or generally bad driving or both? I read this (link below) about braking with the formula/formula Renault cars. “So, press very hard and then you have to slowly decrease your brake pressure.”

https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/project-cars-2-tips-guide

http://youtu.be/tzRYYSvhUb8

Mahjik
10-08-2018, 06:22
Barcelona is always hard on the front left tire. Most of the turns are right turns which puts a lot of load on the left front. You can try some setup tricks to attempt to compensate for it, but in general, it's normal to have your front left getting wrecked on that track.

specialkone
10-08-2018, 06:37
OK, thanks Mahjik.

PS: hey thanks again to the great members who have been helping me out on this thread. Look, I have one of the fine, knowledgeable mods suggesting a setup adjustment. He's not stating "where do I start or that video is painful to watch". I have a smile on my face whether he's simply being encouraging or not. I'll take it. :)

Mahjik
10-08-2018, 06:43
Well, you can look into an asymmetrical setup to help lighten the cornering loads on the left side. However, it will compromise your speed in certain corners. Only testing and gathering data would show where time would be lost. It's always a trade off though. Most people just try to manage their tires by their driving (i.e. not pushing every lap to allow the tires to cool a bit).

Are you driving with a controller or a wheel?

specialkone
10-08-2018, 07:08
Yeah, I was having trouble getting around those two cars in front of me so I guess that was contributing to less smoothness on my part and burning up that left front.

I have the old momo racing wheel. Can't use that as an excuse as I find it works quite well in Pcars 2, including the FFB.

I might "steal" some setups from time trial to see if any are putting less pressure on the left front. Might have to make some adjustments myself as I'm guessing the nature of time trial is a setup to go fast for one lap.

But hey, I'm beating the default AI with very little practice (so far) at this track.

Mahjik
10-08-2018, 07:16
You want to transfer less mass to the left, so you could stiffen the left side of the suspension more than the right. It will drive differently/weird which is why most just keep a symmetrical setup and try to drive as smooth as possible. At least in all the sims I have played over the years, Barcelona has always been a challenge on the front left.

specialkone
10-08-2018, 07:27
You want to transfer less mass to the left, so you could stiffen the left side of the suspension more than the right. It will drive differently/weird which is why most just keep a symmetrical setup and try to drive as smooth as possible. At least in all the sims I have played over the years, Barcelona has always been a challenge on the front left.

Thanks Mahjik. Think the part in bold is the best bet. I'll try 10 laps without other cars trying to be smooth and consistent. Suspect the tires might be fine.

hkraft300
10-08-2018, 08:28
It'll still cook no matter what you do. Just mitigate as best you can. Maybe try a tighter line and straighten up and go wide as much as you can to ease the load on the FL tire on every right turn, especially T3/4.
Maybe try the loose setup and adjust brake balance to your liking. It usually has a more aggressive different setup that will help the car rotate on throttle.

specialkone
10-08-2018, 20:55
Thanks hkraft300. That makes sense. I'll give those suggestions a try. You guys are great.

I do like that car/track combo. A bit challenging but not too challenging. Simply lots of fun. Suits my "lesser" driving skills.

Mahjik
10-08-2018, 23:29
Thanks hkraft300. That makes sense. I'll give those suggestions a try. You guys are great.

I do like that car/track combo. A bit challenging but not too challenging. Simply lots of fun. Suits my "lesser" driving skills.

FWIW, as punishing as that track can be on the left tires, during WMD it was typically my go-to track for testing the faster cars. Knockhill became my go-to test track for the slower cars. ;)

specialkone
11-08-2018, 21:17
FWIW, as punishing as that track can be on the left tires, during WMD it was typically my go-to track for testing the faster cars. Knockhill became my go-to test track for the slower cars. ;)

Typically I’ll do a little research on the Project Cars 2 tracks to see what cars the track is intended for (which cars I should be using) and to get a bit of a driving analysis of the track.Seems Barcelona is the testing go to track for the Formula One drivers and mechanics as well.

“ With long straights and a variety of corners, the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is seen as an all-rounder circuit. Because so much testing is done at this circuit, Formula One drivers and mechanics are extremely familiar with it.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Barcelona-Catalunya

theraceison
10-09-2018, 06:54
How to develop your driving skills? Easy! Buy a racing wheel, watch a few driving tutorials to lean the basics and practice as long as you can. It worked for me and my friends :D

Evilgtiguy
07-10-2018, 01:02
I was racing last night offline at Autodromo and for some reason most of the cars are faster than me on the straights. I can understand out of corners of my line is rubbish or my speed is low but on the back straight I get reeled in. Does anyone else have this problem?

VelvetTorpedo
07-10-2018, 12:55
What werethe AI set to?

Evilgtiguy
07-10-2018, 16:45
I believe they were at 45 or just under 50. I’m a beginner to sim racing so I don’t know how low I should set it.

Evilgtiguy
12-10-2018, 15:42
I made some further adjustments to the AI and they aren't leaving me like I'm racing a Prius anymore. It's good enough for me to start near the back of the field and make it up to P2/P3 before doing something stupid and finishing in P4. As I become better I'll adjust the AI. Good fun so far, I don't think I could go back to Forza 7 now for fear of adopting some bad driving habits.

Saleen_S7
22-02-2019, 00:53
I'm not that new in racing here but not that old neither. And still often, this thread is really a lot of help discovering new tactics and skills. I'm into adjusting AI lately and it's better. Thanks ya'll.