PDA

View Full Version : Monza historic oval

Andre.V
28-09-2017, 15:25
Hi.

I was also awaiting this fantastic track to have great fun with the Lotus 49 but that is the TOP 1 most disappointing track of ever. Comparing with GP movie during the same era or with other racing games as Rfactor, Assetto Corsa, Grand Prix Legends, I just don't understand why Slightly Mad Studios have added this tight double chicane just before the banked portion as these chicanes never exist for real. My Italian friend which is a F1 radio reporter for years, was there during this era of the track. He is now 80 years old but he confirmed to me these chicane never exist. And you can see by yourself by entering this Autodromo_Nazionale_Monza in the search bar of Wikipedia. Unfortunately I can't post a link on this forum.

To me this beautiful track is completely unusable because all the pleasure is killed. The fun thing of this track is tacking the banked curve at 300 km/h from the starting grid portion. Please correct this track otherwise I don't see the interest of a totally false representation of an historic track.

Thanks.

Andre.

cxMilk
28-09-2017, 21:03
Believe it or not, the chicane did exist. From '66-'71. In fact, a second chicane also existed before the second banked corner as well. This variation of the track was no longer used for open wheel racing, but sportscars still used it with the two chicanes. What's odd is that SMS only included the first chicane if the intent was to use the '66-'71 version (which makes sense given the Vintage Prototype B class in pCars2: '67, '67, and '65). If anything, be happy the second chicane is not included. Of course, everyone would probably have preferred to see this particular string without any chicanes, but considering how SMS focused on key time frames for specific classes, I can understand why it's there if that's what they were aiming for.

Not trying to defend the stupid abomination, but attempting to put some perspective as to why it's likely there.

For reference:
http://www.racingcircuits.info/assets/components/phpthumbof/cache/MonzaFull66.ae70fedc038ab5723213a44b82abe427.png

Starting in 1966 there were two permanent chicanes at the entrance to the banked curves and the course was 100 metres longer but by 1970 the sportscars switched to the road course and the banking fell silent altogether.

Also, to mods, this thread probably belongs in pCars2 General.

Andre.V
29-09-2017, 02:06
Wow, I'm extremely surprised Wiki doesn't mention that. I believe you for sure and I even more disappointed SMS didn't make another version without the chicanes to accommodate the era of open wheels. Do you think it's something possible to get a version without the chicanes ?

Because of you, now I understand their point but don't really agree with their decision.

Thanks for your reply, it's extremely appreciated.

Andre.

Ian Bell
29-09-2017, 02:24
Wow, I'm extremely surprised Wiki doesn't mention that. I believe you for sure and I even more disappointed SMS didn't make another version without the chicanes to accommodate the era of open wheels. Do you think it's something possible to get a version without the chicanes ?

Because of you, now I understand their point but don't really agree with their decision.

Thanks for your reply, it's extremely appreciated.

Andre.

Apology accepted :)

Aldo Zampatti
29-09-2017, 02:55
moved

marcosanta8
29-09-2017, 12:30
The track is wrong though, there's no evidence of a layout which used just one chicane in reality: it's both or neither, just one doesn't really make sense. I actually pointed it out several times in the dev forum, no idea why it was left like this. Especially since the second chicane is actually modeled.

Andre.V
29-09-2017, 13:00
What can we do to convince SMS to make the original historical version for Open Wheels ? I'm really mad about this version as it not represent what I always knew about this track from all other games and GP movie. What is the fun to have a such chicane kiiling the real pleasure to drive fast in the banked curve. I love so much the lower part of the track from this ear without chicanes.

PLEASE SMS, make the original version of the track in early 60's.

pa_pinkelman
29-09-2017, 13:21
What can we do to convince SMS to make the original historical version for Open Wheels ? I'm really mad about this version as it not represent what I always knew about this track from all other games and GP movie. What is the fun to have a such chicane kiiling the real pleasure to drive fast in the banked curve. I love so much the lower part of the track from this ear without chicanes.

PLEASE SMS, make the original version of the track in early 60's.

I would like to see this happening also. Please. Both would be ideal. The ai cars will be gratefull also since they really can't handle the chicane :D

3800racingfool
29-09-2017, 13:35
Just venturing a guess, perhaps it was included to provide an extra passing opportunity? If you think about it, there aren't many places to pass on this track and there aren't any places to pass near the oval bit. So perhaps the first chicane was added to help break up the monotony and provide a chance for passing going into what effectively is an extremely long straight?

Either that or licensing. When it doubt, blame licensing.

KANETAKER
29-09-2017, 13:55
Just venturing a guess, perhaps it was included to provide an extra passing opportunity? If you think about it, there aren't many places to pass on this track and there aren't any places to pass near the oval bit. So perhaps the first chicane was added to help break up the monotony and provide a chance for passing going into what effectively is an extremely long straight?

Either that or licensing. When it doubt, blame licensing.

The big problem is that the chicane is very close, very slow and uncomfortable to run an overtaking at the end of it and to be able to enter 2 cars in parallel (there is only room for 1 car), unless the overtaking is completed just before to get to that chicane.

On the other hand, in the case of the modern circuit of Monza, would have been great if they could have implemented a version without the 1st chicane of the main straight, which is used by prototypes in private speed tests. Although we have as an alternative the classic version without chicanes (or oval) but you feel the difference in the asphalt.

missiletest
29-09-2017, 14:44
Yes, please, SMS. Remove that chicane.

3800racingfool
29-09-2017, 20:12
The big problem is that the chicane is very close, very slow and uncomfortable to run an overtaking at the end of it and to be able to enter 2 cars in parallel (there is only room for 1 car), unless the overtaking is completed just before to get to that chicane.

On the other hand, in the case of the modern circuit of Monza, would have been great if they could have implemented a version without the 1st chicane of the main straight, which is used by prototypes in private speed tests. Although we have as an alternative the classic version without chicanes (or oval) but you feel the difference in the asphalt.

When I said passing opportunity I wasn't talking about going into the chicane but rather exiting. You can get a pretty good run on somebody coming out of the thing if you take the chicane better than they do and then pass either going into the banking or, if you're paranoid, try to time it to get them on the post-banking straight.

Richard83945
30-09-2017, 08:58
Yes, please, SMS. Remove that chicane.

+1
Yes please - a version without the chicane would be great.

Ian Bell
30-09-2017, 08:59
OK we'll consider removing the chicane all.

Richard83945
30-09-2017, 11:29
OK we'll consider removing the chicane all.

Excellent news!!!
Thanks for your quick reply.

Andre.V
01-10-2017, 00:22
Oh WOW, you just made my day SMS. First of all, this track is an historic track and should reflect the glorious years the open wheels.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, you're listening at us.

Andre.

Andre.V
01-10-2017, 00:24
Now my top three favorite tracks are SPA historic, Monza historic (no chicane) and Rouen les Essarts.

Andre

Eric Rowland
01-10-2017, 00:59
Perhaps the chicane could be modified as it was for the 1972 GP of Italy. It would be great if somehow the cars could bypass the chicane as it is now on the first lap and thereafter use the layout as SMS intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFNJw7wlDL4

Andre.V
01-10-2017, 02:33
The banked oval is well know before 70's, so let us have the original track witout any chicane to really enjoy taking the banked curve at high speed. All other racing games dosen't have chicanes why not Pcars 2 ?

Andre

Andre.V
04-10-2017, 13:13
I played the banked oval portion only with the Mustang 66... Oh wow, this is so cool with this car of this era. I also tried the lower track only and this car is going very nice, I'm able to overtake the AI at 100% skill. Try the Mustang in the banked oval and like me, you will dream to have both portion of the track together without the chicane. This muscle car is made to go fast.

Andre.