PDA

View Full Version : Rally Newb Question

Quatzu
28-09-2017, 15:30
So, I've never been into rally driving or drifting. I'm guessing the drift technique requires the use of a handbrake. Should I get used to using a handbrake?

RacingAtHome
28-09-2017, 15:36
You don't have to but try it. If you feel you're faster with the handbrake, go for it. If not, don't.

CodeCmdr
28-09-2017, 15:46
For rallying, it's probably only necessary for very tight corners.

Mahjik
28-09-2017, 15:47
Using the handbrake will help to be able to rotate the car much easier. However, it's very easy to over rotate the car and end up spun out. For the most part, you just use the handbrake just enough to get the rear to start swinging out, then then you use the throttle to control it.

Trippul G
28-09-2017, 15:54
I've always been more of a tarmac racer, and though I do enjoy the rally stuff, I've always been pretty rubbish at it (well, more rubbish than I am on tarmac, anyway!).

I found that using the handbrake can be very helpful if used sparingly. Mostly what I'll try to do on the rally tracks is, when approaching a tight-ish corner, I'll feint to the outside (opposite direction of the corner), then turn in hard to unsettle the back end and get it to swing around. Keeping the throttle pegged, and sometimes even dropping a gear or two mid corner can help maintain the smooth drift and keep you going where you want.

The trouble is when I approach a corner that is tighter than I thought, or that I didn't take the proper line into...that's when I'll turn in and give the handbrake a quick tap to loosen up the rear and get it to rotate. It requires a lot of feel and practice, as the rotation can be quite sudden if you're not ready for it...and is especially tricky when going through surface transitions.

All in all I've gotta say that I'm really loving the rallycross stuff SMS have given us, even more than I thought I would. Sure there are some AI issues and some other niggles, but I keep finding myself coming back to it nearly every time I play for "just one more race".

SreRacha
28-09-2017, 15:59
Found this earlier and was blown away, had no idea the Rally was so good in Pcars2 now all i need is tons of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MTdSM3kG1Y&t=1s

John Hargreaves
28-09-2017, 16:07
It's probably personal preference in the end, most cars you can get them to go where you want by transerring the weight and using the natural pendulum motion that results. Some guys use the handbrake all the time, others use the scandinavian flick more and only use the handbrake occasionally. The Caterham 620 at Wildcrest is a heavenly combination for me, probably the most realistic loose surface sim experience I've ever had. Completely different league to Dirt Rally and even shows Richard Burns Rally who's boss. That's with a wheel though, can't vouch for how it might be with a controller. There's also a part on the full ice track where there are a couple of roundabouts and a sort of figure eight. I once took the Mini there and just drifted round for ages, completely transfixed. The car suddenly stopped and I thought wtf, but I had actually run out of petrol.

Trippul G
28-09-2017, 16:17
Found this earlier and was blown away, had no idea the Rally was so good in Pcars2 now all i need is tons of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MTdSM3kG1Y&t=1s

Wow. That REALLY makes me feel like a noob. :eek-new:

One thing I noticed is the trail of gravel following the cars going through the loose bits. I'm guessing that's tied somehow to higher visual settings on PC? I don't recall seeing that on any of the few console replays I've saved.