PDA

View Full Version : Time and Weather Progression Planning Tool

TheDorStor
28-09-2017, 18:28
Hi folks, since Project Cars 2 hit the shelves I've been working on a little tool for planning longer simulated race lengths with changing weather and it's now in a state that I'd like to release the first version of it.

With the tool you can set the start time, race length and the time progression, as well as up to 4 weather slots from Project Cars and the weather progression. The program then displays the simulated race length and weather changes within that time accordingly:

By the way, the idea was blatantly stolen from:
http://pcars.grtn.de/weather/
You can also get a few additional information on how the weather slots in PCars seem to work on the website. Note that the weather slots in my program are displayed with a length of one hour, rather than half an hour + half an hour transition.

Not all of the initially planned features were implemented, like the "sync to race" mode, simulated time presets and adding sessions for practice and qualifying. I cannot guarantee that these features will be implemented in the future, that depends on the feedback I get from you guys.

Update: Version 0.2

Known issues:

Small window sizes can get the UI to bug out, just don't make the window too small and you'll be fine.
At larger numbers for the simulated race time the display can get a bit unprecise, which I think is a bug due to mathematical rounding. But you should still be able to read the information displayed and since I made a bit of a mess of the code I don't know if I will ever fix it.
Whenever the simulated race time is under 1h, the labels for the weather slots are incorrectly positioned. The colored bars are correctly placed though, just follow them. Hopefully fixed in v0.2
I coded in Java, so the program is an executable .jar file which means you must have Java Runtime Environment installed on your System to run it. I'm not really sure what the best way to create a Java-independent Windows executable is. Any tips would be welcome.
Java has apparently no support for 4k resolutions, which results in the program window not scaling up. I created a 4k-workaround-version with all the font sizes doubled, so 4k users may at least be able to read the text properly. Checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale, you have to be precise with your clicks. Note v0.2 with 4k workaround in Downloads

DOWNLOAD
Regular Version: 241278
4k-Workaround: 241279

I hope some of you guys find my little tool helpful, any feedback would be highly appreciated! And of course, feel free to report any further bugs and issues.

Bealdor
28-09-2017, 18:47
Nice one!
I did something similar for PCARS 1 (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?37514-QRWEP-Quick-Race-Weekend-Event-Planner-(V1-1)) as Excel file but your solution looks much more elegant.

TheDorStor
28-09-2017, 19:02
I did something similar for PCARS 1 (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?37514-QRWEP-Quick-Race-Weekend-Event-Planner-(V1-1)) as Excel file

Wow, I had no Idea you could do such things with excel. I've always heard that it's pretty powerful in the hands of someone who knows his way around it, but that's really cool!
If I decide to keep working on my program I might steal some ideas from your spreadsheet if that's ok with you, like the race length calculation per lap time and number of laps, that's pretty neat.

EDIT: Just noticed another Bug: Whenever the simulated race time is under 1h, the labels for the weather slots are incorrectly positioned. Will be fixed soon™...

satco1066
29-09-2017, 01:08
nice, but have a problem when using it on a 4k monitor. Fonts are so small and do not scale with window size.

TheDorStor
29-09-2017, 13:42
Version 0.2 out

@satco1066 Yeah, seems like Java programs won't be scaled correctly on higher resultions. I tried to create a workaround for 4k users by providing a version with upscaled font size. Though the checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale up, unfortunately.
Let me know if it works (or is at least usable), can't test it myself due to lack of 4k hardware.

satco1066
29-09-2017, 23:20
Version 0.2 out

@satco1066 Yeah, seems like Java programs won't be scaled correctly on higher resultions. I tried to create a workaround for 4k users by providing a version with upscaled font size. Though the checkboxes for the weather slots still don't scale up, unfortunately.
Let me know if it works (or is at least usable), can't test it myself due to lack of 4k hardware.
Yeah. Much better. Thanks from all 4k screen users :cool:
here a screenshot. Left side is 4k workaround version.

jimortality
02-10-2017, 11:23
Great! how do you get it to work please.

Roger Prynne
02-10-2017, 11:32
Just extract the pCarsTimeWeather_v0.2.jar somewhere, input what settings you want and it will show you the results.
Simples :D

satco1066
02-10-2017, 23:48
you must have Java installed. Right click the jar file and select open with, and then select "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary"

Roger Prynne
03-10-2017, 10:23
^ Ah yeah that does help of course.