PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster 458 Spider Wheel

Alsymers
28-09-2017, 18:53
Hi
I want to get a wheel for Pcars 2 but don't want to spend a fortune, the 458 Spider wheel seems to have good reviews for the price.

Does anyone use this wheel with PC2 and are there any recommended settings?

Thanks

Juiced46
28-09-2017, 20:00
Hi
I want to get a wheel for Pcars 2 but don't want to spend a fortune, the 458 Spider wheel seems to have good reviews for the price.

Does anyone use this wheel with PC2 and are there any recommended settings?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with that wheel. That is not a force feedback wheel. How much are you looking to spend and where are you located? I may be unloading my Thrustmaster TX soon to upgraded to a Fanatec.

MXR SMILER
28-09-2017, 20:38
Have to agree with juiced46. I have both the 458 and G920 wheels. The 458 works ( only used it on AC) That's about it... no FFB means you miss out on a huge part of what PC2 has to offer. A second hand TX or G920 would give you a far better experience. Good luck whatever your choice....

Iconiqk
28-09-2017, 22:38
I have one. It's not bad for what it is. No force feedback though but if you're just looking to move from a controller to wheel for more precision it's ok.

girlracerTracey
28-09-2017, 23:15
I have been using the sister wheel to 458 Spyder, the T80 non force feedback wheel, on the PS4 version of Project CARS 2. For what it is (an entry level non ffb wheel) the T80 performs brilliantly on PC2 just as it did on PC1. FYI I also own & use the Thustmaster T150 ffb wheel on PC2 and have also used the T150 on PC1. Incidentally I also own the 458 Spyder wheel and the TMX ffb wheel for use on xbox one..I just don't have PC2 on xbox one. I have however used both these wheels to good effect on PC1 on xbox one.

Not everyone wants or requires a ffb wheel despite force feedback being very much en vogue for racing games these days. I know of a few very fast guys on iRacing who deliberately run without force feedback as they personally feel that ffb hampers them slightly in achieving fast lap times. So they run with ffb turned off or set at a subtle minimum. The theory being that ffb gets in their way slightly when driving on the limit. Most I think do prefer to run with ffb turned on. I suppose in this respect it's down to personal preference? Some don't, most do. On PC1 I know a guy who topped a number of global leaderboards using a T80 non force feedback wheel. Some have topped global leaderboards quite convincingly and consistently using a gamepad. Many have topped global leaderboards on PC1 however using a force feedback wheel.

One thing is certain though and that is that a decent feedback wheel will give you a greater sense of immersion when racing in such titles as PC1, PC2 and AC etc. So I guess you pay your money and take your pick?

Using my T80 on Project CARS 2 on PS4 all I have done is calibrate the wheel and pedals and to adjust Steering Sensitivity and Speed Sensitivity to suit my personal preference for the feel I get from the wheel. That's it. (obviously also bear in mind that the 458 Spyder will give you a much limited wheel rotation compared to the 900 degrees of a TMX).

Here's a video on the T80 which as sister wheel to the 458 Spyder you might find interesting? For the reviewer's opinion on the T80 listen from 1hr 26 mins onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5cVdbGkizc

My honest advice would be to go for a decent ffb wheel however if you can afford it in order to benefit from the extra immersion factor that this will give you. Maybe a low mileage secondhand TMX if you can find one? The TMX from my experience is a very good entry level ffb wheel on xbox one. Just in case you will not get on too well in not having access to some decent force feedback effects.

aelson.guerra
28-09-2017, 23:57
I have a 458 Spider, despite don't have force feedback works very well. It's a cheap wheel and I'm satisfied. Used in Project Cars 1 and 2, Assetto Corsa, and several Forza. For now, I don't think bought another wheel.

Wayne86
29-09-2017, 10:46
I'm also looking for a new wheel for the xbox as i currently have a snapped but fixed almost 458 wheel non ffb as it keeps pulling to the left for some reason how well would you say the tmx is rated for pc2 as thats what im looking at getting without spending silly money as its only 140

thevilleky
29-09-2017, 16:19
I've used the ferrari 458 on PC1. It will get the job done, but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are absolutely strapped for cash. The experience with ffb is so much better. If you just want to dip your toe in the water with a wheel and pedals its a very inexpensive way to see if you like it.

Also, though it doesn't have force feedback it does have internal resistance bands. While nobody would confuse this with ffb it does mean the wheel gets harder and harder to turn to farther you turn it so there is some level of resistance that is satisfying at some level versus just a really lose wheel that offers zero feel.

bikerjoe83
12-10-2017, 16:05
I'm not a fan of ffb so I purchased the 458 Spider when I bought PC2 last week. I didn't want to spend a lot with not knowing if I'd even like the game (ex Forza fan bhoy) but I'm impressed with both the wheel and the game. I've had no problems with the wheel except having to calibrate it in game (takes 30 seconds) because I have to unplug it to put it away after each session.

60 at Game at the moment, cheap as chips.

odemode
12-10-2017, 18:22
You've just missed out. AO were selling the Thrustmaster TX for 79

grrrillapmp
12-10-2017, 23:54
It'll satisfy you for a lil while....but you'll want more.

Dynomight Motorsports
13-10-2017, 18:50
I'm saving up for the TS-XW, its a beautiful Full size Sparco wheel with upgraded FFb. When you Invest in a good wheel your enjoyment level increases exponentially.