PDA

View Full Version : How do you all start a race?

Trippul G
29-09-2017, 08:37
Kind of a weird question, I know, but I just got to wondering. I guess this is more about button assignments and personal preference than anything.

Specifically, I'm wondering what exactly you guys do when preparing for a standing start and the lights start counting down.

Me personally, I'm on a controller, I use manual gears with auto clutch (so no clutch button assigned). At the start, I leave it in neutral, apply throttle to up the revs as the lights count down, then when they go red, I drop it into first and away we go.

Ideally IRL, you'd want to hold down the clutch, put the car into first, increase your revs, then dump the clutch to take off. But...being that I don't use a clutch during the race, I didn't really want to waste a button assignment for it. (And besides, I'm pretty sure you can't use the clutch just for the start procedure, but not while racing...can you?)

I wonder if the way I'm doing it is really much slower than the "proper" way? IRL, I'm sure it would be, but in game, my starts generally tend to be pretty ok, I feel, but I wonder if I could be gaining time by doing things differently. What do you guys do, particularly gamepad users?

REFNightmare
29-09-2017, 09:11
I have auto-clutch on as I mainly only race GT3 cars and they have sequential gearboxes anyway so I figure a clutch isn't hugely necessary. However I do have it mapped to my clutch pedal, and it works. So even with auto-clutch, I can still engage the clutch. Will probably be the same on the controller I would imagine if you were to map a button to the clutch. Anyways, what I do at the start, which isn't really possible on the controller without changing your brake lever is:

1) Put the car into gear, dip the clutch fully and apply slight brake to stop me rolling
2) Raise the RPM's to what I would imagine would be optimal for the grip off the line (I still haven't found out exactly where that is yet for the car I use)
3) Just before the lights turn green I let go of the brake so the car starts to roll ever so slightly
4) Lights go green, I drop the clutch about halfway and apply full throttle
5) I ease off the clutch as the car starts to get more grip until I can fully come off the clutch, and from then on I no longer use the clutch for the race

IJerichoI
29-09-2017, 09:19
Depends on the car: GT3 I use the clutch, put it into 1st, brake a bit if the car rolls, Rev up and let the clutch (moderately to prevent buckling down or have too much wheelspin) go when the green comes. For RX it is more fun: I pull the handbrake, dip the clutch, put it into 2nd, rev & let the clutch go until the car pulls very slightly, then wait for the green and accellerate so that there is as less slip as possible.

chris465
29-09-2017, 09:49
Rev it neutral then try to judge the lights and hit first to launch.

Scuderia Paul
29-09-2017, 10:21
While in Neutral I will rev but the car type, and track conditions, will determine where I rev to. It is usually less than 75% of the limit and from when the lights go green, after shifting to 1st, I will feed the remaining power in over about 1.5s. It greatly reduces wheelspin, which most people think is the best way to launch, and the vast majority of time I gain places. You want to apply as much power as possible without suffering wheelspin. Trial and error is the only way to learn but it is a fun way to learn you'll agree.

RAVEracer
29-09-2017, 10:50
Put it in 1st, foot on clutch then go.

However with my new wheel the clutch is non-existant. But I've assigned a button to a clutch. This is also needed for celebrations on the cooldown lap after a win :cool:

Trippul G
29-09-2017, 14:08
So it seems like most of you with wheels use the clutch pedal to start, even if you don't necessarily use it in the race to change gears. I just learned something...wasn't aware you could do that.

I wonder how effective it would be if I were to map the clutch to say, one of the bumpers on my controller...LB, maybe. Ideally you'd like the clutch "pedal" (button) to have some travel to it so that you can modulate it, so I'm not sure LB/RB would work well as I believe those tend to function digitally, either on or off. It wouldn't make sense to give up a trigger button, and though I think the face buttons are analog, I don't know that I want to give up any of those either, and I'm also not sure just how much I could modulate a clutch as they don't have a heck of a lot of travel either.

I suppose I could play around with deadzones and sensitivity when mappng it to either a face or bumper button and see how I do.

If there are any guys using a gamepad who also use the clutch to start, I'd be interested to hear how you do it and specifically what your button assignments are.

Trooper117
29-09-2017, 14:14
Depress clutch, engage 1st gear, increase revs, wait for the green then go, go, go!!!

missiletest
29-09-2017, 14:21
I noticed that if you use manual clutch, and don't have the clutch depressed when leaving the menu to go to the start line, the car stalls. I've missed green lights a couple times waiting for the car to fire up.

Raklodder
29-09-2017, 14:22
I don't like the idea of tuning my vehicle (except for making my gears shorter) and just change to first gear and pray to the god emperor that I will survive the first lap.