PDA

View Full Version : Copying setups in Timetrial still possible

Diluvian
29-09-2017, 18:27
I'm not really sure anymore how the discussion ended during developement but independently of that, is that the way you're going now and keep the possibility to use the setups from others which set a valid timetrial laptime? Or is there an option to deactivate it?

ATSS
29-09-2017, 18:43
This is a 'feature' in other games as well. ex: F1 games

Just dont do time trials if you find it not fair.

Diluvian
30-09-2017, 12:50
It's not simply about not doing time trials anymore. The whole world of sim racing isn't only about the driver, it's a setup thing, too and the last thing what professional drivers want to do is sharing their car setups to everyone. The timetrial mode is a perfect place to get fast into the direction you want the car to be set up and it's ridiculous that you always have to invalidate your laptime somewhere at the track to prevent the setup to be shared to everyone.

It's clear that you have to optimise your setup in detail (cooling, durability etc.) and for other conditions (e.g. rain, hotter/colder weather conditions) in private sessions. The people who want to setup their car in TT always have to do a "workaround" which isn't necessary in my opinion. And despite of doing setups, I really would like to participate in TT but not if sharing is enforced.

Sure, if nobody bothers anymore (and i know there were people complaining about it) than I'll have to accept it :)

satco1066
30-09-2017, 13:23
I dont get your opinion and point to ask this question here.
You are WMD2 member and know all about that game design descission.
There is also a Steam achievment for it. (Tell me your secret / Erzähl mir den Geheimnis )
The descission was made, though you opponed to it. Don't think it makes sense to start a campaign here. :p

So what??????

blinkngone
30-09-2017, 13:27
Right now I think the sharing has problems, there is no guarantee that when you select the time that you want to share the setup that you will receive the setup that achieved that result. When you move back and forth between tracks your setup will follow so if the person has run that car on another track after their time was set you could get that setup instead of the one you want. If you don't want to share just use your custom setup, do your times, then before you exit load the default and run it then exit. I don't know why you don't want to help others but you are not forced to yet.
Here is just 1 example.
This is the track I wanted to run.
This is the setup I received, Coyote Noose not COTA Club.

Diluvian
30-09-2017, 14:24
I'm not really sure anymore how the discussion ended during developement

You are WMD2 member and know all about that game design descision.

As I said I didn't know about the decision anymore (I still don't find the statement in the forum anymore) and people I asked about it before posting here didn't even know that it's still possible. That's primarily the reason I'm asking again. I'm ready to accept it, but there could have been the possibility that it's a bug / something they forgot to change.

saxohare
01-10-2017, 12:01
Sharing isn't stealing.
I like it to use other peoples setups, and sometimes it makes my life easy, because i don't have to do the work myself,
You're free to set your best times with a shitty setup, and make other people drive with a shitty setup also :D
And indeed it would be nice we could download the setups without starting the time trial

MaximusN
01-10-2017, 12:09
I think it's good if they are shared. It's the best way to find setup exploits very quickly. Think about it, if someone finds an exploit it's very hard to keep it to yourself this way. And in a way if you're in a race team you can always copy your teammate's setup. With this the whole world is your teammate.

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:11
As I said I didn't know about the decision anymore (I still don't find the statement in the forum anymore) and people I asked about it before posting here didn't even know that it's still possible. That's primarily the reason I'm asking again. I'm ready to accept it, but there could have been the possibility that it's a bug / something they forgot to change.
Hey,
We didn't have an answer from SMS on this matter IIRC, that's why you don't remember it ^^.
I was with you on this but well they made their choice ;D

Ixoye56
01-10-2017, 12:17
Nothing wrong with sharing, it is a good thing you know :)

Raklodder
01-10-2017, 12:19
This is a game and not real life so worrying about someone "stealing" your setups is kind of ridiculous.

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:21
Nothing wrong with sharing, it is a good thing you know :)

Diluvian is very good at sharing. He's one of the first to help others ;)
The fact is that when you want to take the 1st place, you have to know how to tune your car. Top drivers won't use TT anymore as they sometimes spend hours to make a good setup and gain 0,100s from the 2nd.

Balles
01-10-2017, 12:23
I understand OP but I think the all point of TT is to be faster than the others, not the best engineer. Even if someone use your setup and is fastest than you then it just proves that he is less better engineer but better pilote.
I like the idea that my setup can help someone anyway.
No big deal, just be fast !

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:24
This is a game and not real life so worrying about someone "stealing" your setups is kind of ridiculous.

PCARS2 aim at eSport. There are prizes to win. It's not just a game for top drivers. ;)

Raklodder
01-10-2017, 12:32
PCARS2 aim at eSport. There are prizes to win. It's not just a game for top drivers. ;)
In that case they might as well add an e-sports mode to keep all of your setups private (if selected in the game options) and please everybody at the cost of not being able to "steal" others setups themselves?

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:34
In that case they might as well add an e-sports mode to keep all of your setups private (if selected in the game options) and please everybody at the cost of not being able to "steal" others setups themselves?

Yeah, that could be nice but the TT will stay useless. What is the point of having the 1st place in TT if the real fast drivers don't use it?

Roger Prynne
01-10-2017, 12:38
No matter how good your setup is, you still have to be a good driver.

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:43
No matter how good your setup is, you still have to be a good driver.

Of course :)
Top drivers don't fear the "common crowd" but other top drivers from different teams ;)
Have you ever seen Ferrari giving some setup advice to McLaren? ;)

Balles
01-10-2017, 12:43

Do you really think eSport top pilotes are downloading setups from TT ? I think they do their own.

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:45
Do you really think eSport top pilotes are downloading setups from TT ? I think they do their own.

It's called spying. But well whatever.
Enjoy time trial without the big guns thinking your fast. :D

MaximusN
01-10-2017, 12:49
Yeah, that could be nice but the TT will stay useless. What is the point of having the 1st place in TT if the real fast drivers don't use it?
A fast driver with confidence in his skill would trust he could beat someone on his own setup(because it's tailored to him). And tbh I find it much more important that setup-exploits will be picked up on easily, because in the end it's more important that the setup(and car) is realistic.

Let's say the 0 camber bug had been kept secret. Then a lot of people would have been trying to make a setup with realistic setting(some form of negative camber) rather than quick. Now that's a bigger problem than some quick guys not doing TT(like I said the top will have the confidence to drive anyway).

And what about the ghostlap? You can also download that and you learn a lot more from that than from a setup.

Diluvian
01-10-2017, 12:51
I understand OP but I think the all point of TT is to be faster than the others, not the best engineer.

Then why allow custom setup at all in TT? :)

And as Ironik said, none (imo) of the expert (e-sport) drivers will set their absolute perfect laptimes in TT with their best setup and you won't find out any of the setup exploits.

For me at least, doing a setup is nothing which is done in 5minutes. If I take something seriously it takes more time to setup the car than to drive it and I don't know why I should be forced to share that hard work.

Balles
01-10-2017, 12:52
It's called spying. But well whatever.
Enjoy time trial without the big guns thinking your fast. :D
Why are you mean to me ? I don't think I'm fast but that my setups can be helpfull for some, but not for top players wich will do their own anyway.

Edit : and guess what... It's a game !

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:56
Why are you mean to me ? I don't think I'm fast but that my setups can be helpfull for some, but not for top players wich will do their own I think.

Sorry mate, didn't want to be mean to you :)
I wasn't even talking about you personally (I should have used "One" instead of "you") ;)

I'm all for sharing but not a forced sharing. :)

EDIT: I'm not that fast either by the way, I'm worth a top 100 I guess.

ironik
01-10-2017, 12:58
Why are you mean to me ? I don't think I'm fast but that my setups can be helpfull for some, but not for top players wich will do their own anyway.

Edit : and guess what... It's a game !

eSport is not just a game. :)
You have sponsors, and real money invested.

Balles
01-10-2017, 13:01
I know but do you really think top players will do their best time on TT even if they could have hide their setup. I don't think so.
If i'm right, this all discussion is pointless. If I don't then you're right.

Diluvian
01-10-2017, 13:02
I know but do you really think top players will do their best time on TT even if they could have hide their setup. I don't think so.

Lets stick with that and let this thread die :)

ironik
01-10-2017, 13:05

Yeah, you're right. Top players didn't use TT that much because of the ghosts. Now, they have ghosts and setups ^^.
When I was doing leagues in pCARS 1, everybody was training in private lobbies.
During the qualifications, top drivers were doing better times than world records in TT... (including me and I'm far from a top driver haha)

xthenewkid
01-10-2017, 13:07
Why should good drivers not go for Hotlaps? To set up a car you basically need TT, or do you want to drive an outlap every time you change something in your setup?

Balles
01-10-2017, 13:09
During the qualifications, top drivers were doing better times than world records in TT... (including me and I'm far from a top driver haha)

This ! It happened to me too, so...

ironik
01-10-2017, 13:10
A fast driver with confidence in his skill would trust he could beat someone on his own setup(because it's tailored to him). And tbh I find it much more important that setup-exploits will be picked up on easily, because in the end it's more important that the setup(and car) is realistic.

Let's say the 0 camber bug had been kept secret. Then a lot of people would have been trying to make a setup with realistic setting(some form of negative camber) rather than quick. Now that's a bigger problem than some quick guys not doing TT(like I said the top will have the confidence to drive anyway).

And what about the ghostlap? You can also download that and you learn a lot more from that than from a setup.

I agree for the exploits :)
I think that uploading setups is mandatory. That way, SMS could review top driver setups (in community events) and look for exploits.

Balles
01-10-2017, 13:11
Why should good drivers not go for Hotlaps? To set up a car you basically need TT, or do you want to drive an outlap every time you change something in your setup?

Of course they can ! But do they ?

Edit : thinking of the OP, maybe SMS will add the option to not share at some point. In the mean time, just stick with practice session or accept to help others.

xthenewkid
01-10-2017, 13:15
Why would they not

ironik
01-10-2017, 13:16

They train in private lobbies with their mates.

This ! It happened to me too, so...

So you agree that TT is kinda useless currently ? :)
I'm usually using TT to check the ghosts on tracks I don't know, if I don't have much time or if I want to check if a car is competitive enough. That's it.
After that, I train in private lobbies.

Why would they not

Because everybody can upload their setup and follow their ghosts.

Balles
01-10-2017, 13:21
So you agree that TT is kinda useless currently ? :)
I'm usually using TT to check the ghosts on tracks I don't know, if I don't have much time or if I want to check if a car is competitive enough. That's it.
After that, I train in private lobbies.

Absolutly not useless, for me it's about to compare with the community and making good setup. I've no time to spend in private team lobbies anymore (used to it years ago).

Edit : all this gave me the need to TT ! See you on leaderboard ! Steal as much as you can !

Don-09141955
01-10-2017, 13:29
Yes!!......helping others is the moral thing to do! (I could use ALL the help I can get). I STILL have to drive as well as the record holder. THAT probably won't happen for a few more years. LOL. Thanks....I'm having fun with the game! It's great!

DayGlow
01-10-2017, 14:34
I don't think this should be as much of an issue as some r really think it is.

If you work hours to shave .001 of a second off of a lap the tweak you made won't work for another driver. Skill will always make the last bit.

Only downside of sharing setups is that any exploit will be public, which is a good thing.

Sankyo
01-10-2017, 14:39
Would eSports competitors do Time Trial even if the option to share set-ups would be optional? They have to share the ghost anyway to allow cheat-checking, and with that they have to make public their carefully optimized lines around the track as well. So I think eSports competitors avoid TT altogether.

ironik
01-10-2017, 14:41
I don't think this should be as much of an issue as some r really think it is.

If you work hours to shave .001 of a second off of a lap the tweak you made won't work for another driver. Skill will always make the last bit.

Only downside of sharing setups is that any exploit will be public, which is a good thing.

Well, these guys can drive anything you throw at them: They will adapt quickly.
If a setup is faster but doesn't suit his driving style, he will adapt and will be faster.
Now, if one is not that good, he will struggle of course but a top driver from another team will adapt quickly or take it as a base and will make some adjustement to suit his driving style better.

Anyway, I don't really care to be honnest. Diluvian and I have voiced our opinions on that matter already (both here and in WMD). It is what it is and everybody will do what he wants :)

EDIT :

Would eSports competitors do Time Trial even if the option to share set-ups would be optional? They have to share the ghost anyway to allow cheat-checking, and with that they have to make public their carefully optimized lines around the track as well. So I think eSports competitors avoid TT altogether.

Yes, that's true Remco ;)
It's just a bit worse now but well, it doesn't matter that much.

Cheers :)

Ravager619
01-10-2017, 15:55

In PC1, I think some did. When I would make my TT runs with the Ford Falcon FG or Corvette C7.R I'd see screennames with some sort of eSports team or racing league acronym in front of their name. You also have to understand it's somewhat of a controlled environment. Favorable weather conditions. 5 gallons of fuel that never run out. Either way, you still have to be a good driver to be at the top of the board.

satco1066
01-10-2017, 23:46
you all are right, in view of the "pro" drivers, but they'll have their methods to keep their secrets.
This sharing thing is something great for all others to get proper informations.
Don't forget, many of the features here are made for the millions of users, not some thousand or maybe hundreds of pro drivers.

Also think of that talents, that maybe are totally idiots in understanding setups, but could drive like champions. Give em a chance to enhance.

ironik
01-10-2017, 23:54
you all are right, in view of the "pro" drivers, but they'll have their methods to keep their secrets.
This sharing thing is something great for all others to get proper informations.
Don't forget, many of the features here are made for the millions of users, not some thousand or maybe hundreds of pro drivers.

Also think of that talents, that maybe are totally idiots in understanding setups, but could drive like champions. Give em a chance to enhance.

Again, being able to share setups is great, don't read me wrong. :)
Even pro gamers like to share. I remember that BAM did give many setups during pCARS 1.

So, afterall, I should consider the Time trial as a kind of "casual" time trial mode. The real one being community events :)
This way, everyone is happy I guess :)

inthebagbud
18-10-2017, 12:22
wondering if we ever had a response from SMS as to why this was implemented like it is ?

If our club is having a TT competition it is just that a competition and the tuning aspect is an integral part of that . You can have racers who are quicker than you on a minimal tune , by the nature that they are a better driver but you may be able to compensate for this by tuning better .

Is it not man&machine v man&machine

If you are racing your not forced to share a tune so not sure how TT is different

As has been said people like to share and i upload to the setup site which is there for all to see but that may be after the event, which still enables people to benefit (if the tune is any good) but keeps the competition element alive if the tune is part of the competition process

longtings
18-10-2017, 12:24
Shockingly poor design choice aimed at pleasing more casual users who think they are only slow because of setup.

I only got the game for time trials and turns out no one decent even bothers with them because of the automatic setup sharing.

Why would you even bother making them open setup if all setups are going to be shared automatically ? Just make it fixed setup...

longtings
18-10-2017, 12:32
A fast driver with confidence in his skill would trust he could beat someone on his own setup(because it's tailored to him).

This just simply isn't true, and all the proof you need is in iRacing where the undoubted best sim racers in the world (Huttu, Kronke, Rassmuseen etc) will never share their setups with other teams because they know that at the highest level setups can make the difference.

No one cares about some bum whose 3 seconds off the pace getting hold of a setup... its the worry that other equally competitive people will get access to them.

blinkngone
18-10-2017, 12:35
Shockingly poor design choice aimed at pleasing more casual users who think they are only slow because of setup.

I only got the game for time trials and turns out no one decent even bothers with them because of the automatic setup sharing.

Why would you even bother making them open setup if all setups are going to be shared automatically ? Just make it fixed setup...

All you need to do is make your runs then when you're finished load a different set up, that is the one that will be shared. Your secret setup will still be secret.

longtings
18-10-2017, 12:36
All you need to do is make your runs then when you finished load a different set up, that is the one that will be shared. Your secret setup will still be secret.

Ok, thats interesting although not many people seem to know about it... hence why the leaderboards are not very competitive relative to other sims.

Id also imagine the devs will fix that if the idea is that your setups HAVE to be shared.

RomKnight
18-10-2017, 12:41
It's just a game mode...

"The way a sim is meant to be played" (tm) is online against others ;)

Seriously, if one can make WR laps lap after lap it's wasted talent on TT. Just join some e-sports team already.

This kind of thing reminds me kids "it's mine" "mom, he took my toy" kind of speech!

REFNightmare
18-10-2017, 12:41
You've still got to be a really good driver in order to post quick times with a good setup. I couldn't drive the ferrari with the standard setup, i downloaded balls a blanc setup, and it immediately made the car more controllable for me, however I'm still 7 seconds off of the TT pace that balls set for it. But at least now I can run consistent 2:23's on Spa.

I set up a multiplayer race and was using balls setup, and ball actually joined the session, felt very honoured lol But he was rapid anyway, think his qualifying time was 2:19. So it doesn't matter if someone has a godly setup if they're not a perfect driver anyway.

RomKnight
18-10-2017, 12:53
British GT this year's best lap was 2:18 on a Lambo IIRC (quali2). Only 4 cars gone to 2:18... Lambo, 2 bentleys and only then the ferrari.

Krieg 1
18-10-2017, 12:59

They did in pcars 1...you would SDL on the boards all the time....just saying

Gix916
18-10-2017, 13:01
why cant this be handled in the same way that Forza does. You can use other peoples setups, but they are locked so you cannot actually see the numbers they have put in. That way everybody's secrets are safe, but the setups may help some people who cannot tune to drive a car they otherwise find difficult. Other Fast guys/teams probably won't use your tunes against you as they won't be able to modify the tune to suit them.

g33k hack3rs
18-10-2017, 13:14
I don't get it. I'm definitely not the fastest driver around and I know some of the technical guys that are into creating setups typically wants to share them to see what the best drivers can accomplish with their setups. Isn't it great to see your setup being used as the WR rather than you as a driver?

I can understand for some TT competition that it could be counterproductive to have the setups shared but ultimately a setup for quali and racing is typically different than a setup for TT. Yes, it is a good starting point but there are a number of other things to consider when doing a race where damage, tire wear, fuel usage, etc. comes into play.

I would've liked if I could select to share a setup or keep it private. But after spending hours to create a setup it would be nice if recognition is given to who created the setup rather than just who accomplished the best lap time. Maybe adding an additional column to indicate the original creator of the setup would be a way to provide that recognition?

longtings
18-10-2017, 13:17
I can understand for some TT competition that it could be counterproductive to have the setups shared but ultimately a setup for quali and racing is typically different than a setup for TT. Yes, it is a good starting point but there are a number of other things to consider when doing a race where damage, tire wear, fuel usage, etc. comes into play.

Pretty minor differences for the most part. Very easy to turn a quali set into a race setup and a quali setup would be near identical to a time trial setup as well.

REFNightmare
18-10-2017, 13:17
British GT this year's best lap was 2:18 on a Lambo IIRC (quali2). Only 4 cars gone to 2:18... Lambo, 2 bentleys and only then the ferrari.

Might want a word with the aliens then, coz the TT times are 2:16 and 2:17 for 1st and 2nd place lol

Krieg 1
18-10-2017, 13:43
I would've liked if I could select to share a setup or keep it private. But after spending hours to create a setup it would be nice if recognition is given to who created the setup rather than just who accomplished the best lap time. Maybe adding an additional column to indicate the original creator of the setup would be a way to provide that recognition?

This guys on point. Although i would like the option to not share at least lock the setup and the name. As it stands if i take the WR setup, beat the WR, you go and take my new WR setup...it says Krieg #14_Car as if i was the creator. kinda silly.

Krieg 1
18-10-2017, 13:49
Like this poor guy. Thanks for the setup Lord Stanford III but now everyone that downloads my...errr (well its really yours), setup...it will have my name on it, not yours. Sorry mate

Exoil
18-10-2017, 14:59

I agree with this. I'm crap at setting up the cars, I really have no idea what anything does in the setup. But by downloading the ghost from the fastest guy and applying his setup I've been able to set a number of WR already. It's nice to know that I'm a fast racer, but I wouldn't stand a chance without the other guys setup.

Killer Bob
18-10-2017, 16:04
Copying somebody's setup doesn't mean you'll go faster.. I copied a setup from a top 10 driver at Le Mans in GT class, i could not drive the car, i was all over the place spinning and crashing. I gave up and just loaded default setup, and posted a time that was 14th quickest a coupled of weeks ago (i'm now dropped down to 16th - i'll get it back tho).

Copied setups might be ok as a starting point, if you find it drivable. You can get an idea of how different changes work, and then tweek them to suit your driving style. Setups are like fingerprints - unique for each driver.

Peace

Exoil
18-10-2017, 17:20
Copying somebody's setup doesn't mean you'll go faster.. I copied a setup from a top 10 driver at Le Mans in GT class, i could not drive the car, i was all over the place spinning and crashing. I gave up and just loaded default setup, and posted a time that was 14th quickest a coupled of weeks ago (i'm now dropped down to 16th - i'll get it back tho).

Copied setups might be ok as a starting point, if you find it drivable. You can get an idea of how different changes work, and then tweek them to suit your driving style. Setups are like fingerprints - unique for each driver.

Peace

That's probably because most of the fastest times are done with everything closed and very low downforce to get those extra km/h. Very hard to drive but a lot quicker when you just manages to bring it around for one hot lap

Diluvian
18-10-2017, 17:42
All you need to do is make your runs then when you're finished load a different set up, that is the one that will be shared. Your secret setup will still be secret.

Doesn't work for me, already tried that out.

g33k hack3rs
18-10-2017, 17:50
Similar to what work for Quali vs Race. In most cases I use the "Loose" setup with low fuel for quali and then revert back to "Stable" with appropriate fuel for the race. Quickest for a single lap isn't always the best recipe for a race of 10 laps or more. Same holds true for TT but it's nice to download a few of the top drivers and see which one suit my driving style. I'll probably never stay in the top section but I can sample a few and keep the ones that suit me. Maybe a few tweaks are needed but in most cases I just load it and go.

For me TT is not about tweaking setups but seeing what is the best lap times I can accomplish with a car/track specific setup.

I can understand that the setup gurus around here may not appreciate the forced sharing. For me it is great to sample multiple setups. Think of it as a "Try before you Buy" option. Get a good starting point in TT and then tweak it for online or career racing to your individual style and needs.

Lars Rosenquist
18-10-2017, 18:14
Keep the setup sharing, it's a lot better for my ego this way. :P

Nah, optional would be great, we need more people in the TT leaderboards, it's pretty bare right now with regards of number of times.

RomKnight
18-10-2017, 20:39
Might want a word with the aliens then, coz the TT times are 2:16 and 2:17 for 1st and 2nd place lol

2:17.3 in superpole for this year's 24h

Bang on the money then considering they face real danger. err.. lol?

MaXyM
18-10-2017, 22:03
I really don't understand supporters of idea of forced setup sharing.
Let's make it simple. I bought the game, with intention of using all its parts. But with sharing my setup in TT mode achieving original need is impossible. Why? Because I want to compete in TT as well as in our league. Since I don't want to give my league opponents any help (why should I?) I cannot compete in TT with my the best setup I made for myself (or has been created by my team engineer).

Got the point?
So any other suggestions next to: 'do not play TT' or 'do not compete in league'?

I saw an argument that sharing is good because make exploits verification possible? Ehmm. Someone forgoten about option of giving access to setup only to SMS stuff. Not to all around.
I also read that gettings access to setup doesn't make a champion from loosers. Agree. But it does matter in case of drivers whose skill is very simmilar. Then what is the point to make direct competitors even more competitive?

Simply put, forcing to share setup is bad idea. I understand that sometimes some decission might be controversial with goal to invent something new. And from time to time it it's a bullseye.
But IMO this time it's bad design decision. With all its consequences.

ortazel
18-10-2017, 23:09
I agree with this. I'm crap at setting up the cars, I really have no idea what anything does in the setup. But by downloading the ghost from the fastest guy and applying his setup I've been able to set a number of WR already. It's nice to know that I'm a fast racer, but I wouldn't stand a chance without the other guys setup.

This right here. As someone who is useless at setting up my own cars, it is really nice to be able to download others' setups, but if I set a leaderboard time using it, they should get credit for the work they put in.

Ravager619
19-10-2017, 05:01
I don't mind sharing my setups. I might be fast, but there are others out there who can do setups better than I can. If you use mine, be forewarned I'm a believer that the gas pedal, the brake pedal the steering wheel, and any combination of them are steering devices. This especially holds true if you download my Mojave Sidewinder setups.