PDA

View Full Version : Rift or vive?

Martinbooker
30-09-2017, 16:49
Assuming the current vive issues will be rectified in future patches, what would be the better purchase for this and sim racing in general?

Most articles I'm reading and vids I'm watching go with the rift as currently it seems to be cheaper, better supported, better customer service and has this asynchronous time warp thing going on.

it does seems to have a smaller fov than the vive though which would be a disadvantage? Also, the vive is supposed to be generally more friendly for wearing glasses and has screen adjustment to boot which, being short sighted myself, sounds like a good thing.

Sorry if this has been done to death already

Bad_Dan
30-09-2017, 17:59
I only have the Rift and like it. But many people who have both headsets, say the rift is better for racing.

HoiHman
30-09-2017, 19:54
ASW of the oculus rift outperforms the vive variant. Chances are that you will be needing ASW a lot in PCARS2 and therefore the rift is the best choice (imho)

Siberian Tiger
30-09-2017, 20:03
I have tested it both with Pcars 2.

My Friend has a HTC Vive and i have the Rift.

Both are great Headsets, it's not easy to choose. But "only" for Racing and other VR while sitting Game i would also recommend the Rift.

The ASW on Rift is awesome, i am able to choose higher Settings without having to worry about FPS.

Martinbooker
30-09-2017, 23:20
Excellent, thanks for your responses guys, sounding like OR is the way to go then . After some initial concerns about wearing glasses with rift vs the vive, I was excited to find you can also get prescription lens adaptors from a place called vr lens lab. Anyone had any experience with these? Few early teething problems with distortion / barrelling seem to have been sorted and seeing generally favourable reviews now, John Sabol seems to like em anyway :-) These sound like a game changer for me and kinda the final barrier before taking the plunge.

I neeeeeeed vr in my life now :-)

dazzer169
30-09-2017, 23:44
On the Rift, with the game set to 3840 x 2160 and obviously its downsampling, it looks AMAZING. Immense.

On my Vive, it looks like a pile of Manchester United Football Club = Shite (to explain for those not into English football, the very same football club who have not faced a single Premiership top 10 club, or European top 20 club, since Feb 2017.....hence my anger at how "great they are doing these days")

For some reason, the Vive being enabled doesn't let me configure VR at such a detailed mode, and it looks horrendous, which is ironic with the Vive classed as a level above the Rift...

So surprsingly I am giving the O Rift a 100% thumbs up, it really is sooooo immersive.............

....hmmmm, now what about them first corners that are AI Scripted.............

Thank f**k I have the O Rift to tide me over...............and show PCars2 at its best...............

BigDad
25-11-2017, 12:08
On the Rift, with the game set to 3840 x 2160 and obviously its downsampling, it looks AMAZING. Immense.

On my Vive, it looks like a pile of Manchester United Football Club = Shite (to explain for those not into English football, the very same football club who have not faced a single Premiership top 10 club, or European top 20 club, since Feb 2017.....hence my anger at how "great they are doing these days")

For some reason, the Vive being enabled doesn't let me configure VR at such a detailed mode, and it looks horrendous, which is ironic with the Vive classed as a level above the Rift...

So surprsingly I am giving the O Rift a 100% thumbs up, it really is sooooo immersive.............

....hmmmm, now what about them first corners that are AI Scripted.............

Thank f**k I have the O Rift to tide me over...............and show PCars2 at its best...............

I this still the case with the Vive or has something been done to improve the image ?

mr_belowski
25-11-2017, 12:13
I have a Vive. If your primary concern is pCARS 2, get the Rift. I've not seen it on the Rift, but it looks bloody awful on the Vive and doesn't run well (this is with an i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz and a GTX1080). Perhaps SMS will do something to fix the way the game looks and performs on the Vive, but I'm not holding my breath. The Rift is also much cheaper.

Raklodder
25-11-2017, 12:19
The ViVE because of Valve's daily updates for SteamVR.

Olijke Poffer
25-11-2017, 12:36
I have a Vive. If your primary concern is pCARS 2, get the Rift. I've not seen it on the Rift, but it looks bloody awful on the Vive and doesn't run well (this is with an i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz and a GTX1080). Perhaps SMS will do something to fix the way the game looks and performs on the Vive, but I'm not holding my breath. The Rift is also much cheaper.

Gladly I just ordered the Rift. Yeahhhh...
I drove Bathurts on the PSVR (GTSport) for the first time and I love it. In 2D I don’t like this track but in VR it is awesome.
Can’t wait to step in a VR car in PCars for the first time. Which car should I choose. Lol....

Gobby
25-11-2017, 13:03
Does any have any experience with Rift/Vive AND any of the new Mixed Reality VR headsets? Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer? (Not the Samsung as we can't get it over here in Europe)

How do they compare to the Rift/Vive?

Martinbooker
20-12-2017, 22:15
Assuming the current vive issues will be rectified in future patches, what would be the better purchase for this and sim racing in general?

Most articles I'm reading and vids I'm watching go with the rift as currently it seems to be cheaper, better supported, better customer service and has this asynchronous time warp thing going on.

it does seems to have a smaller fov than the vive though which would be a disadvantage? Also, the vive is supposed to be generally more friendly for wearing glasses and has screen adjustment to boot which, being short sighted myself, sounds like a good thing.

Sorry if this has been done to death already

Id go with oculus Martin

TorTorden
20-12-2017, 23:07
I haven't tried any MR hmd's.
But from what I gather only the Samsung, that we can't get, they aren't quite up to par for the HTC or CV1.
Also their steamvr implementation is still not out of beta yet and struggling with frame rates etc etc.

But I own both the rift cv1 and Vive.
For project cars and "cockpit" games the cv1 is the better choice.
It has significantly more focused spot, so you can use your eyes a little bit.
With the vive it's incredibly blurry anywhere but straight ahead.

The touch controllers also feel very good compared to the vive wands.
Drawbacks are the tracking cameras they require a lot out of the usb controllers, getting a dedicated USB 3 car would be a good idea.
And vive support a larger area.
But by that I mean larger than 3m3m. I certainly don't have that kind of room.
Most likely you will be using it for seated play and then the oculus comes out ahead imo with ease.
When it still is the cheaper option.

Currently the vive is in the box. And the rift is used on a daily basis.
I do have a Kickstarter pledge in for the Pimax 8k though so it's interesting to see if that becomes the best thing ever or yet another paper weight, Kickstarter disaster.

Guy Smiley
21-12-2017, 18:37
I was getting lots of hangs with the Samsung MR as of the latest steam vr update. It was unplayable (actually it was much better in November, though it hung occasionally then too). I switched to the Oculus, and it's rock solid. And more comfortable!

Samsung did look better though :). MR is probably a better option if you're willing to wait a few months.

Mark Race
21-12-2017, 19:45
Rift all the way for racing, flight sims and space games. Rift works in a smaller space than Vive too and is far easier to set up if you want the motion sensing games - RoboRecall is superb.

Rift PCARS2 image, draw distance and performance is way ahead of any other racing game out there too, best application of VR yet by a long long way.

Charger
21-12-2017, 19:47
If just for racing consider the Pimax 4k also, the resolution is better than Vive and Rift.