PDA

View Full Version : Kudos SMS, the gamepad handling is amazing

David Semperger
01-10-2017, 17:25
I'm primarily a wheel user when it comes to driving games (including arcade ones), so given my more limited time lately I started out with PC2 the same way, mostly doing time trials and a few online races here and there (waiting on the career AI balance tweaks and quali skip fixes). For the most part I was trying the GT3 cars, as I had the most experience with these in PC1 and with the many physics tweaks even these provided quite a bit of challenge for me.

Today for the first time I thought I would give my Steam Controller a shot, mostly because I had such a bad experience with it in PC1 out-of-the-box (it was awesome with gyro steering though) that I wanted to see how I would fare with it. The only thing I changed in the controller settings was to make the steering linear (Steering Sensitivity at 50) and to disable the deadzones for everything (since the Steam Controller has superior configuration options through Steam in this regard). As far as the setup on the Steam side, I used the one of the default templates (called "Gamepad with Camera Controls"), and reduced the deadzone as much as possible, since with the Steering Deadzone at 0 in PC2, there was still a considerable deadzone left otherwise.

Then I jumped into Time Trials for practice. I wasn't even watching my lap times while I was trying to go faster and faster, which is why my jaw dropped when at the end of a 2 hour session at Monza with the Ferrari 488 GT3, my best lap was 1+ second faster (with obvious mistakes) than what I achieved with a wheel that I spent far more time driving with before. The setup (a very slightly modified Loose setup) and assists used were the same as well, with the exception that I used automatic shifting with the gamepad.

I don't know quite how to take this (maybe I just suck with a wheel), but one thing is for sure, I will be trying quite a few other cars with my Steam Controller from now on. :)

Here's my best lap so far if anyone is interested (sorry about the framerate, ShadowPlay seem to struggle with the Big Picture mode of Steam, the game ran at a solid 60 FPS while driving):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vVsKdw6X4Y

EDIT: The video should be visible now.

DECATUR PLAYA
01-10-2017, 17:46
Was struggling a bit on xbox at first until I started to loosen up those GT3's. The GT3's are pretty tight out of the box. The controller handling is taking off for me now.

David Semperger
01-10-2017, 17:50
Was struggling a bit on xbox at first until I started to loosen up those GT3's. The GT3's are pretty tight out of the box. The controller handling is taking off for me now.

Just wait until the patches will include the default Loose setups for all cars. They are pretty damn good ones and quite competitive on most tracks out-of-the-box, but require more practice until you get up to speed with them.

Trippul G
01-10-2017, 19:36

Funny how we all prefer different things. I've found nearly all the GT3's I've driven to feel great right out of the box, no tweaking required (gamepad user). I'm actually hoping we get some setups for other cars that are less loose and more stable...the BAC Mono and Honda 2&4 immediately come to mind.

Moonfast
01-10-2017, 20:17
The gamepad is truly amazing. Especially with the Xbox Elite controller with the extra long sticks for finer controll.

PervasiveFall8
01-10-2017, 20:29
I agree love it on game pad.

Trippul G
01-10-2017, 20:33
The gamepad is truly amazing. Especially with the Xbox Elite controller with the extra long sticks for finer controll.

Ooh, that's right, I forgot it came with those! (Derp!) :shame:

Moonfast
01-10-2017, 20:41
They really do more for the control than one would first think.

DECATUR PLAYA
01-10-2017, 20:50
Funny how we all prefer different things. I've found nearly all the GT3's I've driven to feel great right out of the box, no tweaking required (gamepad user). I'm actually hoping we get some setups for other cars that are less loose and more stable...the BAC Mono and Honda 2&4 immediately come to mind.

PCARS is all driver preference. I gave one of my buddy's my Acura NSX setup and he said he couldn't drive it because it was to wild. I love it. It's highly inconsistent if your not careful but I love it cause I can put that car anywhere. May not be able to drive it once I put there but I can put it there.

Trippul G
01-10-2017, 20:52
Honestly, the one thing I find that would truly make playing with a gamepad shine, in my eyes, is better feedback from road surfaces. Curbs feel fine, shifting gears is fine, and (on Xbox anyway) the impulse triggers feel good when braking or accelerating and you start losing traction. But just driving down the road, there's no feel from the road surface itself, like zero. Nothing from going over marbles or going offline. Even going through large patches of standing water barely translates to anything through the gamepad, and all of this is with vibration strength set to 100. If they can sort this out, I'll be ecstatic.

Trippul G
01-10-2017, 20:59
They really do more for the control than one would first think.

Yeah, I used to use the little extensions on my 360 controller, they were made by Kontrol Freek or something like that. They were advertised as being for Call of Duty and stuff like that, but I liked using them when I played Forza. The longer throw distance helped you be just that little bit smoother. I stopped using them when I got the XB1, and then I just plain forgot all about the extensions that came with the Elite controller. Will definitely be giving those a go ASAP.

David Semperger
01-10-2017, 21:06
there's no feel from the road surface itself, like zero.

On the PC, there is a rumble when you shift gears, but I would much more prefer it if instead that rumble would be keyed into the same system that generates the tire skid sounds, meaning that we could directly feel the loss of grip.