PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on driving the Formula Rookie?

warth0g
02-10-2017, 12:25
I've successfully completed (and came first at) the Ginetta Junior event. Great fun, really nice, intuitive little car. I decided to have a go at the Formula Rookie but am struggling a little. Any advice on how to get the best out of it? Right now it's too difficult to control the massive oversteer I get, which is a shame, as I think it has potential (the sound for this car is surprisingly awesome!).

It does remind me of the Skippy in iRacing and I think the idea is you need to keep your right foot in in order to keep some load, hence grip, on the rear end. That works somewhat, but around Long Beach, I still lose it fairly disastrously too frequently. Not a lot of fun to race as I find it unpredictable.

So any driving or setup tips please? Many thanks..

p.s. despite this, this is an awesome game .. I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to!

danowat
02-10-2017, 12:28
Rain tyres are much better, in all conditions, than slicks.

Other than that, you need to be really smooth, braking and turning is a recipe for disaster, as is knocking it down the gearbox too quickly, locks the rear end.

Minimise trail braking, as for setups, increase front springs and ARB, and reduce rear to try and induce a bit of understeer

winet
02-10-2017, 12:29
The usual stuff . Soften the rear ,stiffen the front. I lowered the tire pressures from default quite a bit too. Tweaked brake pressure and bias a bit as well. No where near fast but these things did help.

warth0g
02-10-2017, 12:50
Lots of good advice here, thank you. I do have a tendency to trail brake which I do almost sub-consciously now. Will have to stop that. I'll look at the setup tweaks too. I will tame this car! Thanks for the swift responses, appreciated...

danowat
02-10-2017, 13:15
Lots of good advice here, thank you. I do have a tendency to trail brake which I do almost sub-consciously now. Will have to stop that. I'll look at the setup tweaks too. I will tame this car! Thanks for the swift responses, appreciated...

It's quite a rewarding car to drive, I've just done the race at Algarve and Donington in the world series in career (in between the game crashing) , and Algarve was very challenging, there are number of corners where, if you don't do a little bit of trail braking, you'll be very slow, and a number of fast sweepers that the Rookie just loves to cock a leg at.

Paulpg87
02-10-2017, 14:28
I've successfully completed (and came first at) the Ginetta Junior event. Great fun, really nice, intuitive little car. I decided to have a go at the Formula Rookie but am struggling a little. Any advice on how to get the best out of it? Right now it's too difficult to control the massive oversteer I get, which is a shame, as I think it has potential (the sound for this car is surprisingly awesome!).

It does remind me of the Skippy in iRacing and I think the idea is you need to keep your right foot in in order to keep some load, hence grip, on the rear end. That works somewhat, but around Long Beach, I still lose it fairly disastrously too frequently. Not a lot of fun to race as I find it unpredictable.

So any driving or setup tips please? Many thanks..

p.s. despite this, this is an awesome game .. I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to!

Tyres are bugged and not heating up thus leading to unstable handling. Putting wet tyres help because they heat up a bit more. They Need to fix this also for Ginetta gt5, formula c and Clio cup

danowat
03-10-2017, 08:09
I spoke too soon, the car was a nightmare at the Red Bull ring, just wouldn't hold the rear end in on the fast sweepers, no matter what I did to the setup, had to turn on SC in the end just to get through the race!

KasperVJensen
03-10-2017, 23:44
Man... that thing is peach. I really love racing that little thing.

daarsk
04-10-2017, 14:54
I'm really enjoying the rookie too. I found the change that made the biggest difference for me was pushing some brake bias to the rear. I also trail brake and find left foot braking and squeezing the throttle as you turn in helps ride the brake a little further... If that makes sense.
Admittedly I'm not super fast, and it has taken me some time to come to terms with the slippery tail end. I've only just finished the UK championship and can't wait to get into the Euro!

flthy
04-10-2017, 16:28
Lower tire pressure a lot. Like half a bar front and rear, if I remember correctly. Increase final drive ratio to 1:second highest number. If you're at a track with a longer straight and less corners use the default gear ratio. Largest number for restrictor plate(most power), traction control 10, reduce front sway bar 2 clicks and rear like 5 or 6. I think I dialed down force down to about 12 front 11 rear. Close down air duct to like 50%, decrease front spring rate two clicks and decrease rear like 4 clicks. Make sure your geared diff is on and you lower the power ramp angle and increase the coast angle a couple clicks each. Lower ride height, front 2 clicks and rear 3 clicks. Save this and try it out. If you have under steer soften front sway bar and decrease spring rate two clicks each. Oversteer do the opposite. Also lowering the front tire pressure helps reduce under steer and the same with the rear. You usually want to keep your tire numbers around 80,80,80 degrees or lower = around 10 psi front and 11 psi rear. Also reduce your fuel load to 10L for a 3 lap race and if qualifying and confident that you can dial a great lap on your second lap drop it down to about 6L. If you mash the throttle out of the corner make sure you're pointing straight and not still turning and try to run it one gear high going into the corner and through and then downshift right before you mash the throttle on the exit. Throttle finesse is key here on the exit and make sure you're not trail braking more than just a little tiny bit in the formula c car. Never works out too well. Also with the settings above your entry apex and exit are important when linking turns. You need to make sure you let the car settle before turning the other way by going straight for a split second. The worst thing you can do in these cars is turning the wheel too far and getting tire chatter in the front. You can change your steering ratio so the front tires don't turn as far with the wheel. You need to be smooth and smooth is fast. Get straight out of the corner and downshift and mash the throttle. The rear should be much more controllable with the diff settings listed above and you can drift more than just spin like it would on exit before if your careful on the throttle and counter steer slightly...
I forgot to add to up your engine braking to the highest number and when going through the corner stay on the throttle just a little tiny bit so it doesn't lift forward torque and upset the car.
Let me know if this helps you out please.

anlygi
04-10-2017, 16:42
I enjoyed the Formula Rookie. Now on the formula C and that's an entirely different beast!

davidt33
04-10-2017, 16:56
I enjoyed the Formula Rookie. Now on the formula C and that's an entirely different beast!

I'm on PS4. How did you get by on Race 4 of Formula Rookie, Ruapuna Park Club track?
The weather said "Clear" for me. The hills looked white as though snow covered. The track looked like it had white dust on it, but not snow as I imagined track covered snow would look like. I tried all tyres available but no matter what tyres I applied the car "Formula Rookie" was unmanageable and slipped every which way, but the AI cars sped by like an Express train. I can't continue that race in Career as a result without the appropriate Tyre choice for that track condition.
Also I don't recall seeing a tyre option named "Snow" or "Ice".

I don't know if my problem is PS4 Pcars2 bug related or what. All I know is it's pointless for me to do the race considering what I've mentioned.

Awong124
04-10-2017, 17:33
As danowat mentioned before, the wet tires are a lot quicker than the slicks even when dry, and wear is not a problem in the short races of the Formula Rookie series. I personally never used the wet tires in that manner because it felt like cheating. Except for certain tracks, you would never get the slick tires up to optimal temperatures. I lowered pressures front and rear down to the minimum, and can at most reach like the low 70s. I personally hate driving cars that are setup loosely as well. I basically just softened the rear suspension, set the most lock on the diff on decel, lowered brake pressure, and I think it's fine and easy enough to drive. I easily won the first race, which was like 8 laps, at Long Beach by over 16 seconds at 110 AI, so setting up the car that way isn't going to make the car particularly slow either.

The only race I had a problem with was at Watkins Glen, because for me it started dry then rained midway through. The AI was ridiculously quicker than I was through one particular corner. Which was when I realized wet tires were quicker than the slicks even in dry conditions. I started the race on slicks because it was dry, but didn't realize all the AI started on wets. Once I tried starting the race on wets, I completely blew them away.

KasperVJensen
05-10-2017, 00:06
I'm on PS4. How did you get by on Race 4 of Formula Rookie, Ruapuna Park Club track?
The weather said "Clear" for me. The hills looked white as though snow covered. The track looked like it had white dust on it, but not snow as I imagined track covered snow would look like. I tried all tyres available but no matter what tyres I applied the car "Formula Rookie" was unmanageable and slipped every which way, but the AI cars sped by like an Express train. I can't continue that race in Career as a result without the appropriate Tyre choice for that track condition.
Also I don't recall seeing a tyre option named "Snow" or "Ice".

I don't know if my problem is PS4 Pcars2 bug related or what. All I know is it's pointless for me to do the race considering what I've mentioned.

It must be a bug. I had the same problem and came 2nd in the championship because I had to retire from that race. Very annoying when the other rounds were a good experience.

It looked to me like it had studded tires on, but after 30 minutes of messing around with everything, I still couldn't keep it going in a straight line at anything over 10 km/h.

davidt33
05-10-2017, 02:07
It must be a bug. I had the same problem and came 2nd in the championship because I had to retire from that race. Very annoying when the other rounds were a good experience.

It looked to me like it had studded tires on, but after 30 minutes of messing around with everything, I still couldn't keep it going in a straight line at anything over 10 km/h.

Yup. I even tried Studded tyres or whatever name it's called and couldn't stay in a straight line myself as you mentioned. Oddest thing ever.