PDA

View Full Version : Bugged steering sensitivity? Missing linearity option? (PC, X1 gamepad)

Krazy Kutter
02-10-2017, 14:08
So the steering sensitivity on the xbox one controller is too high, even after trying all these different settings from youtube/forums.
Speed sensitivity, controller damping, etc just make it unresponsive. Then it turned out, the steering sensitivity simply doesn't work! I tried 0 and 100, it's the same.

I don't know if this is the only problem, but I think there should be a steering linearity option too. The 1 to 1 steering ratio makes it impossible to do those small micro corrections with the analog stick. I have played a few simulators with gamepad, no problem. How ever in PCars 2 it's not really the physics that makes it hard to control the cars, but the too sensitive steering. Please make it possible to set a curve, something like this:

danowat
02-10-2017, 14:17
There is a big problem with the settings, they are fine if you leave them as default, but if you touch the sensitivity or damping settings, it makes everything uber sensitive and the only way to get it back to default again is to delete your settings files.

Mad Al
02-10-2017, 15:25
There is a big problem with the settings, they are fine if you leave them as default, but if you touch the sensitivity or damping settings, it makes everything uber sensitive and the only way to get it back to default again is to delete your settings files.

Is that a PS4 specific bug.. as I can certainly mess with the steering sensitivity on my 360 pad on a PC without having everything go over sensitive.

@the OP I think you will find the sensitivity already is a linearity control..

Krazy Kutter
02-10-2017, 15:53
Is that a PS4 specific bug.. as I can certainly mess with the steering sensitivity on my 360 pad on a PC without having everything go over sensitive.

@the OP I think you will find the sensitivity already is a linearity control..

I was wondering about that, but the description wasn't clear for me. Does it make the wheel simply turn less, lets say 50% less than the default for example when the stick is fully tilted one way, or I will still have both ends of the input, 0-100, like on the graph?

kevin kirk
02-10-2017, 16:37
keep in mind at the moment a grid over 16 makes cars undrivable causing them to jerk from one side of the track to the other. At least on xbox one it does and you might be feeling that issue. The handling becomes over sensitive and holding the car straight is impossable. Try driving the car in test session and see if it doesn't handle much much better. That's what they should feel like and see if their is a huge difference between the handling from test session and with AI on the track.

FS7
02-10-2017, 17:29
One problem I see is that different games use different terms for that: Dirt Rally calls it steering linearity, AC calls it gamma, rF2 calls it steering sensitivity. It would be a lot easier if every game used the same term for controller settings. It would also be great if every game had the graphic calibration thingy that games such as rF & GTR2 have in the controller settings screen.

Krazy Kutter
02-10-2017, 17:41
keep in mind at the moment a grid over 16 makes cars undrivable causing them to jerk from one side of the track to the other. At least on xbox one it does and you might be feeling that issue. The handling becomes over sensitive and holding the car straight is impossable. Try driving the car in test session and see if it doesn't handle much much better. That's what they should feel like and see if their is a huge difference between the handling from test session and with AI on the track.

I'm on pc and it's a different issue.

danowat
02-10-2017, 18:01
I guess it's possible it's a PS4 issue.

Mad Al
03-10-2017, 09:52
I was wondering about that, but the description wasn't clear for me. Does it make the wheel simply turn less, lets say 50% less than the default for example when the stick is fully tilted one way, or I will still have both ends of the input, 0-100, like on the graph?

Pull up the telemetry and look at the lower left, it should have the steering shown there, you can see when stationary or going really slowly, that full stick input gives the same steering no matter what the sensitivity setting, but you should be able to see that the required movement to get to 50% steering is much larger at 0 sensitivity than at 100.
Once you are moving, you can also see, how the Speed sensitive steering limits the maximum steering, although the linearity stays the same, just over a much smaller steering percentage.

Krazy Kutter
03-10-2017, 13:19
Pull up the telemetry and look at the lower left, it should have the steering shown there, you can see when stationary or going really slowly, that full stick input gives the same steering no matter what the sensitivity setting, but you should be able to see that the required movement to get to 50% steering is much larger at 0 sensitivity than at 100.

Yes, I did check the telemetry, that's why it's obviously bugged, at least in my case. The position of the wheel (visually compared to other cockpit objects) and the movement of the analog stick is the same at zero and 100 sens.
Speed sensitivity is working, but it doesn't solve my problem, too twitchy steering at low-medium speeds.
I can't remember the default number, maybe it's stuck there despite what the slider is showing.

Mad Al
03-10-2017, 13:24
Yes, I did check the telemetry, that's why it's obviously bugged, at least in my case. The position of the wheel (visually compared to other cockpit objects) and the movement of the analog stick is the same at zero and 100 sens.
Speed sensitivity is working, but it doesn't solve my problem, too twitchy steering at low-medium speeds.
I can't remember the default number, maybe it's stuck there despite what the slider is showing.

Defaults are 7 deadzone, 17 Sensitivity and 95 SSS.. off the top of my head

try deleting the controller file and set up again
Documents\Project CARS 2\savegame\<Your Steam ID>\project cars 2\profiles\default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav

Krazy Kutter
03-10-2017, 16:31
Defaults are 7 deadzone, 17 Sensitivity and 95 SSS.. off the top of my head

try deleting the controller file and set up again
Documents\Project CARS 2\savegame\<Your Steam ID>\project cars 2\profiles\default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav

The default settings feel quite nice, the only problem is I can't get the car to turn into those fast sweeping turns. Like I can't really follow a "70" AI at turn 1, Oulton Park with the gt5 Ginetta, but I'm faster anywhere else.
Turned down the speed sensitivity to 90 from 95, I can turn in, but it's twitchy again.
Then I thought maybe a bigger steering sensitivity can counter the negative part of the default speed sens, but I experienced the main problem again. I see/feel no difference, like it's only the speed sensitivity that affects the steering.
So I'm kinda back at square one. Maybe the first real patch will solve this anomaly, or I have to troubleshoot my way through this step by step.
Thanks anyway!

danowat
05-10-2017, 08:22
The default settings aren't bad, but I would really like to be able to tweak it a little bit without the fear of me touching anything messing it up completely, because even if you do return it to the default settings using the sliders, the only way to get it back to feeling how it does by default is too delete the settings file from the PS4's system.