PDA

View Full Version : Help! Please! Somebody? Anybody? Can't control anything.

ThePatriot
03-10-2017, 04:10
I am a very recent Project Cars convert. I played the GT series for awhile. I switched to PC1 when I got a PS4 this year. I am what would be considered a casual sim racer. I am by no means hardcore, I do have a wheel or plans to get one, I race with DS4 controller. I struggled at first with PC1 until I learned throttle control and tweaked some settings and then I was having a blast. Phenomenal game. BTW I do use the driving line aid, again not hardcore I learn the tracks somewhat but by no means have them memorized.

Now for PC2 I don't know if its me (very likely) or these bugs/glitches I have experienced and read about (also likely), but I cannot control cars for the life of me. I started in the lowest tier and have worked my way up to British Sportscar Lite's in tier 5. I struggled a little with karts but got the hang of it and did very well with formula rookie and ginetta. I can not control the sportscar lite's at all. I am all over the place no matter how slow I am going the back end kicks out and I'm everywhere. I have tweaked settings (I do have some understanding of tuning) and still nothing. I have changed to the controller setting to what many people have recommended in the "undriveable (solved)" thread and still cannot control this. Is it me? Is it the game? I really am trying to learn and become a better sim racer. If I take a more conservative approach and don't slide the rear end at all I get destroyed by the AI, I stand no chance. I go from competitive to 10 seconds down per lap and as soon as I try to push it a little bit I'm loose and all over the place.

I have good brake and throttle control, but the car is so loose and I cannot figure it out. This is my first post, because I have reached the point to shear frustration. I was so excited about this game and preordered the deluxe bundle, now I am so frustrated I stopped playing and am typing away on here.

Even when it comes to the factory driver challenges. I was trying to become a Porsche factory driver and I cannot control the 918 at all. Granted part of this is because of the track and like I said I use the driving line aid (that is the only aid I use) and it is incredibly messed up. Same thing goes for free practice, I tried taking a Porsche 911 GT3 RS around the 'ring and I can't even complete a lap because the driving line is so messed up.

Can someone please help. Do I keep persevering or wait for a patch? I am at my wits end. I want to like this game and I do enjoy some aspects of it, but I beginning to worry that I just blew $90 on "lemon". If someone can give me some pointers I would be ecstatic otherwise, I guess at least I was able to vent and let someone know I may be as frustrated as they are. I truly want to learn and improve so please don't bash the "noob" for to being good enough to hang with the "big dogs".
Thanks.

Aldo Zampatti
03-10-2017, 04:25
Can you describe how did you configure the AI ? Also, sadly, I have not too much experience with a DS4 but if you give me the AI information and an example of Car/Track with the time you're getting, I can train a bit and let you know what I see from my perspective

ThePatriot
04-10-2017, 04:13
I just ran Brands Hatch is light rain, with AI difficulty at 45 and aggressiveness at 50. I'm not exactly sure which car it is, I'm in the Sportscar Lites British Championship class driving an open cockpit Radical. I came I dead last at Brands Hatch. I'm now trying Snetterton, I dropped difficulty to 40 and aggressiveness remains at 50. In practice my best lap, I've only been able to complete two clean laps, is 1:09.046 and P1 is running 1:05.642. I'm at a loss, I cannot control this car. The backend is all over the place if I try to throw it into a corner at the speed I just watched the AI do it, I'm a goner, back end kicks loose and I'm in the wall.

Aldo Zampatti
04-10-2017, 04:16
I just ran Brands Hatch is light rain, with AI difficulty at 45 and aggressiveness at 50. I'm not exactly sure which car it is, I'm in the Sportscar Lites British Championship class driving an open cockpit Radical. I came I dead last at Brands Hatch. I'm now trying Snetterton, I dropped difficulty to 40 and aggressiveness remains at 50. In practice my best lap, I've only been able to complete two clean laps, is 1:09.046 and P1 is running 1:05.642. I'm at a loss, I cannot control this car. The backend is all over the place if I try to throw it into a corner at the speed I just watched the AI do it, I'm a goner, back end kicks loose and I'm in the wall.

Authentic driver assists?

ThePatriot
04-10-2017, 04:19
Yes. I'm trying to keep it as really as possible, just lowering the difficulty when needed. It very well may just be me, and that's ok, just means I need to keep at it.

Aldo Zampatti
04-10-2017, 04:21
Yes. I'm trying to keep it as really as possible, just lowering the difficulty when needed. It very well may just be me, and that's ok, just means I need to keep at it.

I'll try to give it a try tomorrow and reply back. I want to test the scenario before jumping into conclussions

GregFowler
29-10-2017, 20:58
I am experiencing the same thing. Same category. It seems to happen on slow to medium corners. I have the softened the rear suspension, added more wing (which probably has no effect on the slow corners) and once it breaks loose you actually spin nearly 360 degrees. In a 50 - 70 mph corner that seems wierd. Formula Rookie with no downforce that was not a problem. If I figure this out I will certainly share. The AI just enters the corner so much faster. I am buffaloed.

hkraft300
29-10-2017, 21:55
If you keep softening the springs, it becomes too soft to control the car. Becomes a floppy mess. Not that I've tuned the Radicals in pc2, but you might want to stiffen the rear springs.
They are very rear heavy and you have to drive them like a 911. Can't just chuck it into a corner. Brake in a straight line (no trail braking unless you have incredible steering/brake control with a wheel!), get through the corner.

More importantly: maybe your tire pressure/ temp is too low? You want to be at 24psi/1.6 bar once you've warmed the tires for a few laps.

Also turn off the driving line if it is inconsistent and causing problems. If it's working well, keep it on.

GregFowler
31-10-2017, 01:46
I will try stiffening the springs. I don't know much about car geometry (apparently) but I am WILLING to learn. :)

hkraft300
31-10-2017, 01:59
Check out Jussi's suspension calculator.

LockeChris
31-10-2017, 09:23
You porbably already did this but I didn't see it mentioned here: Tried the Stable setup instead of the Loose?
For me it really depends on the car and track which of these is the better base line. Although I'm on a wheel I also struggle with twitchy cars from time to time, especially on those bumpy, up-and-down british tracks. :rolleyes:
Switching to the Stable setup and then correcting some little things from there always helped me with that so far.

Madmazz116
31-10-2017, 11:43
It could be that your problem is this...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55672-Reported-DS4-issues-apparent-steering-saturation

I find that im oversteering far too much because of this problem , and no amount of changing the settings cures it. it needs looking at by the devs.