PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform races not possible

MerlinC
03-10-2017, 08:47
My understanding is that cross-platform multiplayer races are not implemented.

If that is really the case SMS should more clearly state that when the sell the game. Customers currently buying licenses under the assumptions that the are equal and just the hardware to be used is different.

P.S.: This is especially true for the PC versions offered via steam an Oculus home - which seem not to be identical as well.

If that is not the case at all I would appreciate an official statement of SMS.

Sankyo
03-10-2017, 08:51
Cross-platform as in PC-XB1-PS4 has never been possible and governed by Sony and Microsoft. As for Steam/Oculus store platforms, this is something that could probably be stated more clearly for those who don't understand/know how Multiplayer is connected to the online store/platform you're buying the game from.

MerlinC
03-10-2017, 09:08
Cross-platform as in PC-XB1-PS4 has never been possible and governed by Sony and Microsoft.

I doubt that this is not feasible because there are other games which implemented a cross platform interoperability.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play

Furthermore customers can't know the reasons why SMS is not able to realize. Therefore a clear statement when selling the program would be fair.

As for Steam/Oculus store platforms, this is something that could probably be stated more clearly for those who don't understand/know how Multiplayer is connected to the online store/platform you're buying the game from.

Could you explain a little more how the dedicated server is linked to the online store platform? My understanding is that the dedicated server is independent from steam and steam is just a channel to distribute and update the program.

Siberian Tiger
03-10-2017, 09:48
You realise that your Posted list exactly shows the Issue?

No Crossplatform between PC <-> PS4 <-> XBox

What perhaps is possible PC (WIN10) <-> Xbox, but that would be a lot of work, and possible Expensive Licenses for not much ROI (Imho)

Dealman
03-10-2017, 09:54
As far as I know, the Madness Engine is a pretty old engine - rooting back to the NFS Shift games.

Adding cross-platform functionality is a very daunting task and needs to be supported at engine level. On top of that it leads to complications with updates as PC will be able to push theirs out quickly while consoles would be postponed. Resulting in either postponed updates or version mismatch.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love cross platform. But I think in order to support it properly, they'd probably need to either re-write the engine significantly or simply create a new one from scratch. Which means several years of development. :(