PDA

View Full Version : Chase cam for spectator watching VR player???

dunc1n
03-10-2017, 10:47
Hi guys,

Ok, so the subject matter probably isnt very clear, so let me explain....

Basically, what I am wanting, is for the tv to show a different camera angle (i.e. chase cam), whilst I am playing the game in VR.
The reason for this, is because, my friend and I take turns in playing the game in VR. Now when one of us is playing in VR, the other person can see whats happening on the tv screen, HOWEVER, watching someone's VR view on a tv screen is not a pleasant experience. Its very shaky, and can induce sickness. So....
Is there a way for the tv screen to show a live feed of the VR, but from a different camera view? I think it would be good if my friend could watch me race in VR but he was able to view the race in the chase cam view.
I think this would just make things a bit nicer for the spectator. Is this possible???

Thanks,
Lee

Kriptical
03-10-2017, 11:41
This is a solid idea. I’ve axtually been wondering about a trackside replay camera style feed for the tv to make it a little cooler for everyone else in the room.
Ps: speaking of chase cam..anyone know if it got any love with the impending console patch?
Pps: I just read ms was releasing a cost effective vr headset. Any rumor mill as to whether this will be supported on Scorpio for pCars 2?

Khyber GT
03-10-2017, 13:03
you get sick from watching a tv image bounce but not in vr??? lol

the replay system needs an overhaul in VR though. considering you can hardly see anything in VR replay with limited angles.

dunc1n
03-10-2017, 13:46
Kriptical, yes exactly, nobody in the room wants to be watching a shaky first person view. It doesnt work for spectators.
Surely it would be a simple patch/mod to add a second camera view for the tv view?

Khyber GT
03-10-2017, 13:49
Kriptical, yes exactly, nobody in the room wants to be watching a shaky first person view. It doesnt work for spectators.
Surely it would be a simple patch/mod to add a second camera view for the tv view?

how many people actually have someone watching them though to justify this? better off spectating with a 2nd pc... or racing together...if that's the case.

dunc1n
03-10-2017, 13:54
how many people actually have someone watching them though to justify this? better off spectating with a 2nd pc... or racing together...if that's the case.

Yeah you are probably right. People nowadays dont actually have real friends that they actually meet in person. Just faceless avatars that they speak to online. Hahaha. Seriously though, if the tv feed is justified, then a decent spectating mode is justified. They come part in part. The tv feed is not for the driver, its only for spectators! So have a decent spectating mode.

Khyber, how can I spectate on another PC?

Roger Prynne
03-10-2017, 15:17
you get sick from watching a tv image bounce but not in vr??? lol

the replay system needs an overhaul in VR though. considering you can hardly see anything in VR replay with limited angles.

So do I.
When using VR though you are in tune with the movements, on screen you are not.

dunc1n
03-10-2017, 16:15
This is honestly borderline a game breaker for me.
I am a social GAMER, and only really play video games when my friends come over. We all love PC2 in VR but the spectating is terrible. Nobody can watch the tv when someone else is driving and it just ruins the dynamic.

Haiden
03-10-2017, 16:19
Doesn't that mean the GPU has to render two entirely different images, though?

Kriptical
03-10-2017, 16:24

If this were a couple of years ago I would agree with you..but vr is changing things and the idea of having a track view style feed on the tv while a buddy played sounds pretty cool. I’ll echo the point that if your diverting resources to the tv feed anyway ya might as well make it not suck.

gregc
03-10-2017, 16:44
Doesn't that mean the GPU has to render two entirely different images, though?

And there's the problem. The feed you get at the moment is essentially a clone of what one eye sees in the headset, and therefore effectively "free" (mostly) in terms of GPU resources. To have a chase view (or trackside, or whatever else) would need the GPU to render a whole new stream on top of doing VR. Not going to happen on current hardware without destroying the actual VR experience.