PDA

View Full Version : So, what makes your SR go down?

Aefuan
05-10-2017, 06:37
Hello. I can't seem to find any exact info about that.

I'm a class A iRacer, and there's easy to know, because iRacing tells you when you make an incident.

But here we have almost no info.

Questions:

Does bad driving on practice/qualy take your safety rating down?

Does going off-track take your safety rating down?

I need exact info, what makes your SR go down, and what makes it go up.

Thanks.

Invincible
05-10-2017, 06:41
Hello. I can't seem to find any exact info about that.

I'm a class A iRacer, and there's easy to know, because iRacing tells you when you make an incident.

But here we have almost no info.

Questions:

Does bad driving on practice/qualy take your safety rating down?

Does going off-track take your safety rating down?

I need exact info, what makes your SR go down, and what makes it go up.

Thanks.

Negative impact on your safety rating:
- going off track
- trackside collisions
- collisions with movable objects (cones, hay-bales etc)
- collisions with cars of course

Aefuan
05-10-2017, 06:49
Negative impact on your safety rating:
- going off track
- trackside collisions

What about spins (loss of control)?

Also, is there any chance to implement a warning when you go off track? So you know what is and what isn't off track.

OzzyNeil
05-10-2017, 06:58
I lost 20 points when I started a race and it was in chase view and I use cockpit view and I didn't have camera change button mapped so I exited and BAM -20 woohoo

Aefuan
05-10-2017, 07:04
I lost 20 points when I started a race and it was in chase view and I use cockpit view and I didn't have camera change button mapped so I exited and BAM -20 woohoo

Yeah there's too many bugs on the game.

But I was talking about safety rating.

Dutchtastic
05-10-2017, 11:29
I have the same issue, my safety rating is stuck on E licence and I'm not advancing dispite getting 1 slowdown message in 10 to 11 race laps.
In practice and qualifying I've not gotten any messages or warnings so far and all my laps have counted. So I'd love to know if there is an issue with the system or not.

321Respawn
05-10-2017, 23:23
I don't think it goes down in practice and qualify as I tend to jump in with cars I am unfamiliar with which result in many spins and warnings but my rating stays unchanged once the actual race starts.

jimortality
06-10-2017, 00:42
I'm going to be stuck on U1500 forever.

hkraft300
06-10-2017, 01:46
I need to stop crashing into walls..

...my safety rating is stuck on E licence and I'm not advancing dispite getting 1 slowdown message in 10 to 11 race laps.

I did 10 clean laps and my safety rating didn't change IT'S A BUG!!!

That's not a lot of race laps.
Takes more race laps to go up each rank.

I'm going to be stuck on U1500 forever.

There's an issue with the UI where it shows you're on U1500 unless you're in an MP lobby... or something...

Gysepy
06-10-2017, 07:51
Going off track makes your SR drop?

So you run wide or maybe have to go wide to avoid a collision and you loose SR surely thats not correct?

MerlinC
06-10-2017, 07:58

So you run wide or maybe have to go wide to avoid a collision and you loose SR surely thats not correct?

That's the challange for every safety rating that does a simple counting of events and does do not judge every situation. I would assume - although not having any inside information - that the effect of the different events on your safety rating is different. Then at the end it pays off to avoid the contact and just go off track ;-)

At least I would do that by simple adding a factor - my rating from highest effect to lowest would be.

- trackside collisions
- going off track

ironik
06-10-2017, 08:04
That's the challange for every safety rating that does a simple counting of events and does do not judge every situation. I would assume - although not having any inside information - that the effect of the different events on your safety rating is different. Then at the end it pays off to avoid the contact and just go off track ;-)

At least I would do that by simple adding a factor - my rating from highest effect to lowest would be.

- trackside collisions
- going off track

That's already the case...
Same thing goes for the session your in :

- Race
- Qualification
- Practice.

Yeah there's too many bugs on the game.

But I was talking about safety rating.

This is not a bug by the way.

Aefuan
06-10-2017, 10:46
So you tell us that practice session counts towards the SR?

takaii
06-10-2017, 11:20
I have the same issue, my safety rating is stuck on E licence and I'm not advancing dispite getting 1 slowdown message in 10 to 11 race laps.
In practice and qualifying I've not gotten any messages or warnings so far and all my laps have counted. So I'd love to know if there is an issue with the system or not.

1. Do you enter races that have a set rank limit? Those that says ”off” dont add to safety rank or skillrank so you need to enter races that have set limit rank. Doesnt matter what rank.
2. How many races have you driven clean? You need to atleast enter couple
set limit ranked races. You rank slower and slower. Also consider you can drive shit one race and clean next to rank
3. You are maybe not as clean as you think you are. Allways espect that maybe not all errors are displayed

Rob332
06-10-2017, 11:36
I 've found that having more players in the race really helps your rating.
last night I was a D, and after a race with 12 other peeps I was up to a C, despite being shunted a couple of times and going off the track once.

Chris007
06-10-2017, 14:04
Yeah i also have problems when others crash in front of me and i have to go off track to avoid the crash and get minus points and have to go back into the place behind those idiots. or when i am in front and brake into the corner and the guy behind me doesn't brake in time and uses me as a brake and or has a bad setup and sees me to late breaking and crashes into my back... my rating goes down as well. NOT MY FAULT I SAY. can i save the reply and claim my points back. that would be so much work because it happens so often when you try to rank up.

hkraft300
07-10-2017, 00:26
Question: do you lose points for race director warnings? Eg minor paint swapping that didn't spin or significantly damage either car...

"To finish first, first you must finish!"
That holds true whether you're getting hit from the back side, cars crashing in front whatever.
Occasionally you'll get hit from behind unexpectedly. It's not rampant. The odd lovetap if you're in a tight pack but good drivers, it's certainly not race-ending.

You can spot erratic drivers. Take a different line to avoid them crashing you. If they pass you, well they'll probably spin out soon or crash the next person in front of you so you might gain 2 places instead of losing 3.

Think of the chequered flag, not just the next corner.

CodeCmdr
07-10-2017, 05:23
I'm also curious if car collisions always have the same penalty, regardless of impact force.

For example, at the Hockenheim hairpin, I once very lightly scraped a different driver who passed me in the inside, and I got a collision warning for that. But was that rated equally as when cars collide at 50+ km/h?

Neil Bateman
07-10-2017, 05:55
There are quite a few factors involved with this system that can make it frustrating, i have taken 36 races to get to D after spending most of that time in E. I found it difficult to work out why some great results seem to do nothing but 1 bad race dropped me down to F after being punted of twice, i had all sorts of warnings from race director non of which were of my own doing.
As has been mentioned its like this in iracing so its something impossible to implement 100% accurately so you just have to grin and bear it, you get involved in someone else's mess and you will get penalised.

Stache
07-10-2017, 22:10

If you do that right after the start the game will give a drive through penalty (trust me i know :( ) , if you do it somewhere during a race i think will be added to your "negative " account ,IMHO this needs to be changed with the amount of 1st and 2nd corner pileups in nearly every race ,punishing drivers that do not want to add their car to the pile is just wrong!!.

Marakusu
08-10-2017, 17:29
Hey,

I just lost 50 ranked points in private testing; it was not online race just the private testing session as I just wanted to try big setup changes....and I spun a lot and few times hit the wall.
Of course race director deleted my laptimes.

I thought that you can lose points only in online sessions?

hkraft300
09-10-2017, 00:17
Look at your rating only in MP lobby. There's a UI glitch not showing your true rating in the offline/sp menu.

Marakusu
09-10-2017, 17:44
Look at your rating only in MP lobby. There's a UI glitch not showing your true rating in the offline/sp menu.

Sadly my rating was the same in MP lobby too....I'm so gutted, losing points in private testing.

Fight-Test
09-10-2017, 19:01
Sadly my rating was the same in MP lobby too....I'm so gutted, losing points in private testing.

I spend most my time in testing. It doesn't effect my ratings

Marakusu
10-10-2017, 12:35
I spend most my time in testing. It doesn't effect my ratings

Yeah me too....but it did change rating this one time.
Usually when I test I don't spin or hit the wall or smash windshield, but this time it happened and I got lots of race director warnings.
Before this private testing I had good three online races (two 2nd place finish and one 5th place) and my rating increased some 20 points.

Then I had 5-6 hour brake and rating was still ok when I started private testing. But after that it had dropped 50 points.

hkraft300
11-10-2017, 00:22
Don't know what happened there mate. I'm crashing and spinning constantly in PT. Director hates it :D
Still my rating had bounced up and down a little in the beginning from U to F, E and back. Had some terrible races that destroyed my car and rating.
It seems to have settled now.

Marakusu
11-10-2017, 12:51
Don't know what happened there mate. I'm crashing and spinning constantly in PT. Director hates it :D
Still my rating had bounced up and down a little in the beginning from U to F, E and back. Had some terrible races that destroyed my car and rating.
It seems to have settled now.

I guess race director thought that I was DUI and decided to punish me :D

Rodders
11-10-2017, 13:26
After a few weeks with the game and chatting with my club members we have drawn the following conclusions about the safety rating

- Passing other drivers cleanly is the quickest way to improve your rating. This might also extend to being passed cleanly but not sure.
- Doing clean laps without passing anyone during a race has little or possibly no effect on your safety rating.

The second statement might read as a bit ludicrous but it's based on the following. I was an E rating. We had a 25 lap race where I was involved in 2 incidents, 1 fairly large resulting in having to pit for damage, during the race on 2 different laps which resulted in contact with other drivers. I done 23 laps cleanly on my own without going off track but done very little passing during those laps. At the end of the race I was U rated.

After that longer race I ran a series of 5 lap races with say one incident per race but lots of passing going on and made it back to an E rating.

I personally think they need to change the system to give more for doing clean laps as it feels horribly skewed towards short races with lots of passing atm.

Deckman
11-10-2017, 13:40
I agree 100% they need to make some changes ASAP. It so far for me is a complete joke the way the rating is working now. I get wrecked and my rating goes down, I win a race with no incidents and it goes up 5 points WTF. So far this game is a complete let down for me. Multiplayer freezes constantly, and to get a race going takes freaking forever. Just trying to have fun but compared to Project Cars this game is really frustrating and not much fun, way too many bugs.

ctzn
11-10-2017, 14:19
I agree 100% they need to make some changes ASAP. It so far for me is a complete joke the way the rating is working now. I get wrecked and my rating goes down, I win a race with no incidents and it goes up 5 points WTF. So far this game is a complete let down for me. Multiplayer freezes constantly, and to get a race going takes freaking forever. Just trying to have fun but compared to Project Cars this game is really frustrating and not much fun, way too many bugs.

Give it time and the MP rating will work itself out. If you're a bad driver, you'll get stuck with other bad drivers and will not be able to join higher ranked lobbies. If you continue to race clean, you'll get paired with clean drivers. Be careful on which lobbies you choose to join. Those who continue to ram and don't care about other players on the grid will not be able to participate in the higher ranked lobbies. Yes, I agree it's frustrating to lose points when you aren't the one causing accidents, but in the end it will weed out all of the over aggressive kids who can't drive properly.

I've had a few bad experiences in public MP lobbies, but overall I've had a blast and my wife is starting to hate me because I've been racing too much. Don't worry about points. Focus on your safety rating (try and get above U/F and you will find better races) and continue to race clean.

Rodders
11-10-2017, 14:20
lol this thread is about safety rating and peeps keep going off on a rant about the driver rating :D

Top tip - ignore the driver rating. It's a construct of satan and will ruin the gaming experience for you. Safety rating is where it's at.

ctzn
11-10-2017, 14:28
lol this thread is about safety rating and peeps keep going off on a rant about the driver rating :D

Top tip - ignore the driver rating. It's a construct of satan and will ruin the gaming experience for you. Safety rating is where it's at.

Sorry, my last post meant to reference safety rating. Typo.

Deckman
11-10-2017, 16:18
Give it time and the MP rating will work itself out. If you're a bad driver, you'll get stuck with other bad drivers and will not be able to join higher ranked lobbies. If you continue to race clean, you'll get paired with clean drivers. Be careful on which lobbies you choose to join. Those who continue to ram and don't care about other players on the grid will not be able to participate in the higher ranked lobbies. Yes, I agree it's frustrating to lose points when you aren't the one causing accidents, but in the end it will weed out all of the over aggressive kids who can't drive properly.

I've had a few bad experiences in public MP lobbies, but overall I've had a blast and my wife is starting to hate me because I've been racing too much. Don't worry about points. Focus on your safety rating (try and get above U/F and you will find better races) and continue to race clean.

Thanks I get what you mean. In project cars there were way too many maniac drivers that would ruin a race. I've always tried to keep it clean but just a little frustrated with all the freaking bugs in the game and then this rating stuff just added to it. I will try racing careful in back of the starting pack and make clean passes and see if things improve.

ctzn
11-10-2017, 16:24
Thanks I get what you mean. In project cars there were way too many maniac drivers that would ruin a race. I've always tried to keep it clean but just a little frustrated with all the freaking bugs in the game and then this rating stuff just added to it. I will try racing careful in back of the starting pack and make clean passes and see if things improve.

When I first started racing in MP against other U/F drivers, I'd purposely try to start at the back of the pack anticipating a first corner pileup. It almost always happened. I'd let them wreck, carefully navigate my way through the mess and slow drivers then start working my way up the pack. Once you get past the first few pileups, you can start focusing on getting clean laps in which will help improve your safety rating.

Rodders
12-10-2017, 14:47
When I first started racing in MP against other U/F drivers, I'd purposely try to start at the back of the pack anticipating a first corner pileup. It almost always happened. I'd let them wreck, carefully navigate my way through the mess and slow drivers then start working my way up the pack. Once you get past the first few pileups, you can start focusing on getting clean laps in which will help improve your safety rating.

You know that might be the only way to do it in pub lobbies but atm, since in P2P the safety setting doesn't block anyone getting in and dedi servers (which do block on safety setting) are a bit bust atm, it's awful. Just had 5 races this afternoon, drove deliberately cautiously and got mullered in every single race. In one there were 4 or 5 people lurking to ram as you passed. Had to leave 2 races to protect my safety rating and dropped back to a C rating - the first time I've dropped a rating in weeks and this was my first ever afternoon spent racing public lobbies. They need to get the rating blocking working asap cos at the moment I'm just not going in public lobbies unless they are a dedi lobby and at least D min safety rating.

I'll retain hope that it gets better over time but atm pub lobbies are as bad as they have ever been and you just get more angry now as your safety rating gets screwed to boot (double angry if you care about your driver rating).

SMS - please sort the MP lobbies and rating controls out ASAP as this is hurting the game, and my Karma :)

EDIT - Sorry for the rant. One of those afternoons - sob

hkraft300
13-10-2017, 02:30
That sounds worse than ps4.
Public lobby rank filter is working. It's red for me, if the safety or performance rank is too high.

Only a few times seen someone cutting track and purposefully wrecking.
So far.

NeonFlux
13-10-2017, 04:08
Going slightly off topic here but didnt think it warranted a new thread.

When in an online lobby, theres a coloured stripe on the right hand side of the rating box.... mine was blue but now its orange. Does anyone know what it means?

Marlborofranz
13-10-2017, 06:00
Going slightly off topic here but didnt think it warranted a new thread.

When in an online lobby, theres a coloured stripe on the right hand side of the rating box.... mine was blue but now its orange. Does anyone know what it means?

You should try to compare your skill rating with the skill rating needed. Maybe you're close to the minimum requirement? Just a guess...

About the rating/safety system: Works fine for me. I have C rating now after 20 online races. Never had a single griefer, but 3-4 accidents due to people not being used to the traffic jam in turn 1. Actually I was rank F after 3 races already, even though I got wrecked. But instead of rage quitting and spaming the chat with complaints, I kept driving without trying to blame the fault on someone.

I still drove round about 10 more races without rank limitation, so also with U people. They had accidents now and then, but nothing that could have been avoided. One time somebody was braking on a full straight because someone in front of him lose control, he got frightened and used the brakes too much and I slammed his back with about 250 km/h while they were already absolutely slow. Hell of a wreck. Went to the pits, got stuff repaired, and didn't even loose any rating in the end.

I think a lot of people who complain here are not cautious enough. Sure it's not your fault sometimes. But you still can avoid it. I mean use your common sense. 97% of the people are not having real races in real life, yet visited a racing school for years. So why do people still expect them to not make any mistakes? I always expect mistakes, so I am already thinking about what could go wrong if I tailgate someone. And this safed my butt several times. Knock on wood.

Rodders
13-10-2017, 09:51
Morlboro, I'm used to racing in club lobbies where people all pretty much get racing etiquette and there are certainly no people there out to just cause havok in a race so I know what a good lobby looks like and that's where my standards are. Maybe that makes my critique a bit harsh for public lobbies.

However, the races I described having yesterday I was driving deliberately cautiously and I know how to avoid accidents in fact I make a point of it and regularly have a go at club members who don't slow down enough when there is an incident ahead.

It looks like you have been very lucky; "never had a single griefer" ; I find it almost hard to believe tbh. I ran into 5 different ones yesterday alone in only 5 races. In my experience getting several clean races in a row in public lobbies is the exception, not the rule.

Regarding people simply making mistakes - I get that too and again regularly remind my club that we are not pro racing drivers and mistakes happen (in fact I also at the same time point out a lot of pro races have way more incidents than ours lol). However when it happens in at least half the races you enter it gets wearing fast.

Sounds like you have been lucky and/or way more tolerant to this sort of poor and malicious driving but many are not - I personally join races to have a good clean race with nose to tail action and excitement, not damage limitation and chatting to the pit guys each race for giggles.

I agree that many are not cautious enough by far but I'm not one of them and yesterday was very frustrating. The rating system, in particular the safety rating, is supposed to help hugely improve the online public lobby experience and my post, while admittedly coming from a ranty place (apologies again for that) was to draw attention to how important it is for myself, and many others, that the controls it is supposed to enforce start working ASAP so people like myself can have a nights racing with maybe only 1 first corner pile up rather than several.